HDMI Handshake
The problem I am having relates to connecting a TV to my computer.

[u]Computer/TV Configuration[/u]

Windows 7 64 bit
GeForce GTX 570 graphics card.
Dell U2410 monitor
Philips 42PFL9664H Television

The graphics card outputs are connected to the monitor via a DVI cable and the television via a HDMI cable.
The outputs are configured to provide duplicate displays with the monitor as the primary duplicate.

The problem I have is that the television does not always recognise that the computer output is present. If the television is switched on after the computer, then the TV screen is blank. If the computer is then rebooted the computer output appears on the TV screen.
I have done research and believe I have found the reason.
I suspect the problem relates to the digital handshake which takes place via the HDMI cable when the signal sender (computer) is turned on.
In order for the handshake to complete it is required that the receiving device (TV) is switched on first so that the signal can be sent and then returned successfully, as it would not recognise that there is a device availble if it is switched off when the signal is sent.
My question is:
Is it possible to configure the graphics card or change the hardware configuration to force the computer to output to the TV when the TV is switched on after the computer has booted?
Does the second DVI output always have an output available and if I connected the TV to this output via a DVI to HDMI adaptor would this solve the problem?
(I haven't tried this because I don't have an adaptor)
The problem I am having relates to connecting a TV to my computer.

Computer/TV Configuration

Windows 7 64 bit

GeForce GTX 570 graphics card.

Dell U2410 monitor

Philips 42PFL9664H Television

The graphics card outputs are connected to the monitor via a DVI cable and the television via a HDMI cable.

The outputs are configured to provide duplicate displays with the monitor as the primary duplicate.

The problem I have is that the television does not always recognise that the computer output is present. If the television is switched on after the computer, then the TV screen is blank. If the computer is then rebooted the computer output appears on the TV screen.

I have done research and believe I have found the reason.

I suspect the problem relates to the digital handshake which takes place via the HDMI cable when the signal sender (computer) is turned on.

In order for the handshake to complete it is required that the receiving device (TV) is switched on first so that the signal can be sent and then returned successfully, as it would not recognise that there is a device availble if it is switched off when the signal is sent.

My question is:

Is it possible to configure the graphics card or change the hardware configuration to force the computer to output to the TV when the TV is switched on after the computer has booted?

Does the second DVI output always have an output available and if I connected the TV to this output via a DVI to HDMI adaptor would this solve the problem?

(I haven't tried this because I don't have an adaptor)

Posted 01/29/2012 09:12 AM   
After you turn the TV on, look at the Nvidia Control Panel and look at Set Up Multiple Displays. If you see the TV there, click the checkbox next to it.
After you turn the TV on, look at the Nvidia Control Panel and look at Set Up Multiple Displays. If you see the TV there, click the checkbox next to it.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 01/29/2012 09:25 AM   
In the NVidia control panel (Set Up Multiple Displays) both the monitor and the tv are present and show ticked at all times (even when the TV is off)
The monitor and TV are configured to provide duplicate displays with the monitor as the primary duplicate.
In the NVidia control panel (Set Up Multiple Displays) both the monitor and the tv are present and show ticked at all times (even when the TV is off)

The monitor and TV are configured to provide duplicate displays with the monitor as the primary duplicate.

Posted 01/29/2012 11:57 AM   
Scroll To Top