GT440 flashes on video playback and CUDA enabled decoding but not games
I have an odd problem that started about 2-3 weeks ago.

I bought a new GT400 card as my old one just wouldn't handle World of Warcraft and my monitor and all has been working perfectly for 5 months - until about 3 weeks ago.

If I play back video, either from an AVI file, DVD or Blu-Ray the screen flashes randomly throughout the playback of the video, almost as through there was something with an electrical fault interfering with the playback. Games are not affected and neither is Windows 7 (64-bit) under normal use. It also doesn't matter what I am trying to play video on (Cyberlink PowerDVD, WinAmp, Windows Media Player 11, Windows Media Player Classic, etc.), they all do it.

Last night I downloaded the trial of FoxReal to see how good it would be converting Blu-Ray discs for my Playbook as it uses CUDA and I was interested to see that the resulting video file flashed exactly the same way when I played it back on the playbook. This has now started me wondering whether there may be a fault with the GPU on the graphics card.

I've checked the drivers, all up to date, card is seated properly, fan is running smoothly with no dirt build up.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or can suggest anything before I throw the card away and replace it?

Thanks in advance
I have an odd problem that started about 2-3 weeks ago.

I bought a new GT400 card as my old one just wouldn't handle World of Warcraft and my monitor and all has been working perfectly for 5 months - until about 3 weeks ago.

If I play back video, either from an AVI file, DVD or Blu-Ray the screen flashes randomly throughout the playback of the video, almost as through there was something with an electrical fault interfering with the playback. Games are not affected and neither is Windows 7 (64-bit) under normal use. It also doesn't matter what I am trying to play video on (Cyberlink PowerDVD, WinAmp, Windows Media Player 11, Windows Media Player Classic, etc.), they all do it.

Last night I downloaded the trial of FoxReal to see how good it would be converting Blu-Ray discs for my Playbook as it uses CUDA and I was interested to see that the resulting video file flashed exactly the same way when I played it back on the playbook. This has now started me wondering whether there may be a fault with the GPU on the graphics card.

I've checked the drivers, all up to date, card is seated properly, fan is running smoothly with no dirt build up.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or can suggest anything before I throw the card away and replace it?

Thanks in advance

Posted 01/24/2012 04:21 AM   
Solved it! /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

I tried everything and eventually decided the graphics card must have gone. Only 4 months old and couldn't find the receipt, so I ventured out, spent more than i could afford and bought a GTX550 TI (I have to admit that in hindsight I am glad I did because this is a superb card for what I need).

Installed it and it was still flashing like crazy, so in a fit of apathy I scrubbed my computer and re-installed Windows, now convinced that a rogue codec had somehow managed to get installed with something.

Success!! Smooth running video again. Took me ages to get everything installed because I tested the video after EVERYTHING to make sure it was still okay. I even put my old card in another machine and it ran so smooth it was scary. One full day later and I had everything back to normal.

One last thing to do, downloaded the latest nVidia driver (285.58), installed it and left it ripping a blu-ray whilst I went to bed. To my horror this morning it was flashing like crazy. Tried playing a video, same thing!! Invoked System Restore and went back to the older nVidia driver and the problem went away. I even went to the other machine which had my original card and tried the same thing. Updated the driver and video started flashing, reverted it and it stopped. so for now I am running 275.33 and as this is not giving me any issues I think I will be sticking with it.

I tried everything and eventually decided the graphics card must have gone. Only 4 months old and couldn't find the receipt, so I ventured out, spent more than i could afford and bought a GTX550 TI (I have to admit that in hindsight I am glad I did because this is a superb card for what I need).

Installed it and it was still flashing like crazy, so in a fit of apathy I scrubbed my computer and re-installed Windows, now convinced that a rogue codec had somehow managed to get installed with something.

Success!! Smooth running video again. Took me ages to get everything installed because I tested the video after EVERYTHING to make sure it was still okay. I even put my old card in another machine and it ran so smooth it was scary. One full day later and I had everything back to normal.

One last thing to do, downloaded the latest nVidia driver (285.58), installed it and left it ripping a blu-ray whilst I went to bed. To my horror this morning it was flashing like crazy. Tried playing a video, same thing!! Invoked System Restore and went back to the older nVidia driver and the problem went away. I even went to the other machine which had my original card and tried the same thing. Updated the driver and video started flashing, reverted it and it stopped. so for now I am running 275.33 and as this is not giving me any issues I think I will be sticking with it.

Posted 01/26/2012 07:49 AM   
[quote name='RayvenUK' date='26 January 2012 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1327564182' post='1360771']

[/quote]

I have exactly the same issue with a 460gtx.

every driver version after the 275 release (including the latest beta)causes this. all video overlays randomly flicker during playback, the 275 driver has no issue.

Something must have changed drastically from 275 onwards.
[quote name='RayvenUK' date='26 January 2012 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1327564182' post='1360771']

I have exactly the same issue with a 460gtx.

every driver version after the 275 release (including the latest beta)causes this. all video overlays randomly flicker during playback, the 275 driver has no issue.

Something must have changed drastically from 275 onwards.

Posted 01/28/2012 12:42 PM   
still the same issues with 295 beta /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
still the same issues with 295 beta /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Posted 02/14/2012 09:55 PM   
You guys are awesome!! I finally have something to go on!!

I have GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 550 Ti and its been doing the same thing you are describing, on video(.mkv files) playback it flashes intermittently when I configured LAV Video to decode using CUVID.

I've been going back and forth with some guru at DOOM9 and trying different things to no avail!!
[url="http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164952"]My link[/url]

I've been working on this for weeks, re-formatted PC half a dozen times to start clean. its been a nightmare!!

But never thought to try older nVidia drivers(275.33), the thought was always update your drivers for best performance and compatibility!!

I will try this tonight and let you guys know if my problem is resolved.

Thanks!!

I have GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 550 Ti and its been doing the same thing you are describing, on video(.mkv files) playback it flashes intermittently when I configured LAV Video to decode using CUVID.

I've been going back and forth with some guru at DOOM9 and trying different things to no avail!!

My link

I've been working on this for weeks, re-formatted PC half a dozen times to start clean. its been a nightmare!!

But never thought to try older nVidia drivers(275.33), the thought was always update your drivers for best performance and compatibility!!

Thanks!!

Posted 05/18/2012 12:28 PM   
[quote name='Númenórean' date='18 May 2012 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1337344122' post='1409959']

[url="http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164952"]My link[/url]

Thanks!!
[/quote]

Well it worked!! but not sure why the new drivers failed!!
[quote name='Númenórean' date='18 May 2012 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1337344122' post='1409959']

My link

Thanks!!

Well it worked!! but not sure why the new drivers failed!!

Posted 05/21/2012 06:57 PM   
I wonder what less advanced users who upgraded their drivers are doing. I'm trying to stick it out for a fix rather than rolling back. The best NVIDIA told me was to RMA the card, but based on posts on this forum, that doesn't seem to be what has to be done.

I bought my NVIDIA card with CUDA for Photoshop and other ADOBE software. Running ADOBE software can sometimes cause my whole system to lock up, or at least causes a driver crash or a random spot on the screen flickering. I have problems playing videos in both firefox and opera browsers, as well.

My next card will not be an NVIDIA. I just can't do it. I have one computer, and I need it to work for A/V stuff, reliably. I'm not even a gamer.
I wonder what less advanced users who upgraded their drivers are doing. I'm trying to stick it out for a fix rather than rolling back. The best NVIDIA told me was to RMA the card, but based on posts on this forum, that doesn't seem to be what has to be done.

I bought my NVIDIA card with CUDA for Photoshop and other ADOBE software. Running ADOBE software can sometimes cause my whole system to lock up, or at least causes a driver crash or a random spot on the screen flickering. I have problems playing videos in both firefox and opera browsers, as well.

My next card will not be an NVIDIA. I just can't do it. I have one computer, and I need it to work for A/V stuff, reliably. I'm not even a gamer.

Posted 05/23/2012 01:40 AM   
Scroll To Top