Asus 1215n ION 2 new drivers not supported? Couldn't find an answer for this from an official.
  1 / 2    
I've searched around, and found not official or informative text on this.

I have the ASUS 1215n model with ION 2 (next gen), and I noticed that the drivers from the Asus site are very old, while the new drivers say this on not very visible note:
"Notebooks supporting Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets are not supported by this release."

Does this mean that Nvidia does no longer support my computer and it's nvidia gpu? Or is it that an upgrade is just not recommended? Or am I supposed to go ranting to ASUS for them to apply the latest drivers to my model?

I have noticed a lot of talk about the new drivers crippling and killing the ION gpu on this Asus model, so I'm being cautious. My own experience so far is that old games seem to lag quite unexpectedly for such a new computer, so I wonder if a proper driver update might help. For example, WOW lagging on lowest graphics running on my ION 2 :S

Thanks in advance,
awaiting Nvidia staff response!
I've searched around, and found not official or informative text on this.

I have the ASUS 1215n model with ION 2 (next gen), and I noticed that the drivers from the Asus site are very old, while the new drivers say this on not very visible note:

"Notebooks supporting Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets are not supported by this release."

Does this mean that Nvidia does no longer support my computer and it's nvidia gpu? Or is it that an upgrade is just not recommended? Or am I supposed to go ranting to ASUS for them to apply the latest drivers to my model?

I have noticed a lot of talk about the new drivers crippling and killing the ION gpu on this Asus model, so I'm being cautious. My own experience so far is that old games seem to lag quite unexpectedly for such a new computer, so I wonder if a proper driver update might help. For example, WOW lagging on lowest graphics running on my ION 2 :S

Thanks in advance,

awaiting Nvidia staff response!

Posted 01/21/2012 03:19 PM   
Is there a reason I'm being ignored here?
Is there a reason I'm being ignored here?

Posted 01/24/2012 12:28 PM   
pretty much anything concerning the optimus with regards to intel atom seems to get ignored lately. but to answer your question as a fellow 1215n owner yes, the latest drivers do "work".

and by work i mean it turns on the ion when it's supposed to. Problem is that integrated seems to do everything faster and more stable than the ion outside of gaming. But alas it seems like nvidia stopped caring and would rather just worry about tweaking specific games to get 5 more fps out of them rather than make optimus and ion work how it's supposed to.

try asking your question in the gtx and ion drivers subforum (more specifically this thread as it's the most active: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=218925). Your question will most likely get glossed over (as is the majority of questions regarding the 1215n) but it's worth a shot.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. Would be nice to at least hear something like "yes we are working on it" or "no we don't care anymore"...at least there would be some communication.
pretty much anything concerning the optimus with regards to intel atom seems to get ignored lately. but to answer your question as a fellow 1215n owner yes, the latest drivers do "work".

and by work i mean it turns on the ion when it's supposed to. Problem is that integrated seems to do everything faster and more stable than the ion outside of gaming. But alas it seems like nvidia stopped caring and would rather just worry about tweaking specific games to get 5 more fps out of them rather than make optimus and ion work how it's supposed to.

try asking your question in the gtx and ion drivers subforum (more specifically this thread as it's the most active: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=218925). Your question will most likely get glossed over (as is the majority of questions regarding the 1215n) but it's worth a shot.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. Would be nice to at least hear something like "yes we are working on it" or "no we don't care anymore"...at least there would be some communication.

Posted 01/25/2012 08:19 AM   
I'd rather email them directly then, and post the response here. *sigh*

Would it be preferable to install the new drivers for Ion or just stick with the older ones? Honestly, it seems like all the updates so far have ignored the Ion cards completely anyway, so there shouldn't be any difference.
I'd rather email them directly then, and post the response here. *sigh*

Would it be preferable to install the new drivers for Ion or just stick with the older ones? Honestly, it seems like all the updates so far have ignored the Ion cards completely anyway, so there shouldn't be any difference.

Posted 01/25/2012 11:48 AM   
I have sent them my concerns:
[quote]Hello. I'm an Nvidia customer. I have recently purchased the ASUS 1215n, which comes with the Nvidia ION 2 card.

The Asus website seems to recommend only the driver I currently have, the 267.54 version, and when I checked your latest drivers in the nvidia website for ION, there is a note saying the following:

This basically means that although you claim to support the ION in my computer, you don't actually support it. Which is very confusing. I would like to know if the latest drivers in actual fact support my computer, and improve anything since my older driver? And are there plans to improve the support for ION 2 cards? As I've read so far, there seem to be a lot of complaints about the latest drivers giving bad results in games.

I too am getting horrible results from games, even older ones ilke Warcraft 3. I am not interested in giving specific test results, but only in receiving your official answer regarding this card and my computer. I have been ignored so far on your forums:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=221298

Regards,
Inspector Assaf Koss,
Israel.[/quote]

#120125-000017
I have sent them my concerns:

Hello. I'm an Nvidia customer. I have recently purchased the ASUS 1215n, which comes with the Nvidia ION 2 card.

The Asus website seems to recommend only the driver I currently have, the 267.54 version, and when I checked your latest drivers in the nvidia website for ION, there is a note saying the following:

This basically means that although you claim to support the ION in my computer, you don't actually support it. Which is very confusing. I would like to know if the latest drivers in actual fact support my computer, and improve anything since my older driver? And are there plans to improve the support for ION 2 cards? As I've read so far, there seem to be a lot of complaints about the latest drivers giving bad results in games.

I too am getting horrible results from games, even older ones ilke Warcraft 3. I am not interested in giving specific test results, but only in receiving your official answer regarding this card and my computer. I have been ignored so far on your forums:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=221298

Regards,

Inspector Assaf Koss,

Israel.

#120125-000017

Posted 01/25/2012 12:11 PM   
[quote]I also checked your laptop specifications and your does not support NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology, it only supports NVIDIA Optimus. NVIDIA Optimus technology optimizes your notebook PC, providing the outstanding graphics performance you need, when you need it, all the while extending battery life for longer enjoyment. NVIDIA Optimus is software that allows you to use the required GPU as and when needed and this is completely different from NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology which is discontinued.[/quote]

Thanks to Arshad for helping me here on email support. It seems my confusion came from the Asus Hybrid Engine software that comes with all the EEE series. By the way, another name for the above seems to be Hybrid SLI, as Wikipedia seems to call it.

I will try the newest drivers, and continue posting my adventures with the ION 2 card. If I still get lags in DOTA (warcraft 3), then something is simply wrong.
I also checked your laptop specifications and your does not support NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology, it only supports NVIDIA Optimus. NVIDIA Optimus technology optimizes your notebook PC, providing the outstanding graphics performance you need, when you need it, all the while extending battery life for longer enjoyment. NVIDIA Optimus is software that allows you to use the required GPU as and when needed and this is completely different from NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology which is discontinued.

Thanks to Arshad for helping me here on email support. It seems my confusion came from the Asus Hybrid Engine software that comes with all the EEE series. By the way, another name for the above seems to be Hybrid SLI, as Wikipedia seems to call it.

I will try the newest drivers, and continue posting my adventures with the ION 2 card. If I still get lags in DOTA (warcraft 3), then something is simply wrong.

Posted 01/26/2012 10:34 AM   
Beyond the new driver making no noticeable difference, still both C&C 3 Generals and Warcraft 3 play better with the integrated Intel GPU compared to the Nvidia ION 2 O_O Horrible. I will email again regarding this.

On top of that, I'm experiencing something I've never had before - Computer crashed (blue screen) right after Hibernation. Nothing was changed but the new Nvidia driver. *sigh*
Beyond the new driver making no noticeable difference, still both C&C 3 Generals and Warcraft 3 play better with the integrated Intel GPU compared to the Nvidia ION 2 O_O Horrible. I will email again regarding this.

On top of that, I'm experiencing something I've never had before - Computer crashed (blue screen) right after Hibernation. Nothing was changed but the new Nvidia driver. *sigh*

Posted 01/27/2012 09:40 PM   
[quote]This is a follow up from my last email. I was advised to upgrade into the latest non-beta driver by your tech support on email.

Since that I am still experiencing unacceptable lags during game play in both Warcraft 3 and C&C Generals, both very old games now. This recurs constantly, disregarding of situation, reboots, etc' etc'. EVEN MY INTEGRATED INTEL GPU WORKS SMOOTHER IN LOW QUALITY SETTINGS! I AM CURRENTLY USING IT, SADLY.

I am also experiencing a new issue, of the computer crashing every time I resume from Hibernation. This has ONLY happened immediately after installing the new driver, and nothing else was changed. No doubts here.

QUOTE:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1037

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 0000000000000007
BCP2: 000000000000109B
BCP3: 000000000410001B
BCP4: FFFFFA800470B1C0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\012712-34367-01.dmp
C:\Users\Phuein\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68281-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
END QUOTE

Is there any chance that the card I got with this computer being defected?

Please help,
Inspector Assaf Koss,
Israel.[/quote]
This is a follow up from my last email. I was advised to upgrade into the latest non-beta driver by your tech support on email.

Since that I am still experiencing unacceptable lags during game play in both Warcraft 3 and C&C Generals, both very old games now. This recurs constantly, disregarding of situation, reboots, etc' etc'. EVEN MY INTEGRATED INTEL GPU WORKS SMOOTHER IN LOW QUALITY SETTINGS! I AM CURRENTLY USING IT, SADLY.

I am also experiencing a new issue, of the computer crashing every time I resume from Hibernation. This has ONLY happened immediately after installing the new driver, and nothing else was changed. No doubts here.

QUOTE:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1037

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: c2

BCP1: 0000000000000007

BCP2: 000000000000109B

BCP3: 000000000410001B

BCP4: FFFFFA800470B1C0

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\012712-34367-01.dmp

C:\Users\Phuein\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68281-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

END QUOTE

Is there any chance that the card I got with this computer being defected?

Please help,

Inspector Assaf Koss,

Israel.

Posted 01/27/2012 09:51 PM   
And now I get another response:

[quote]Hello Assaf,

Thanks for the update.

Please be informed that NVIDIA does not have any drivers as ION2 is in Hybrid SLI in your ASUS 1215N and NVIDIA drivers are not compatible with notebooks that supports Hybrid SLI with Intel graphics.

Since ION2 is an End-of-Life product, there wont be any future drivers from NVIDIA, only possible place to find this driver is from your notebook manufacturers.

Please note that NVIDIA manufactures the chipsets for the laptop graphic adapters and they are integrated with the motherboards made by the laptop manufacturers. Thus the architecture of the chipset is to be custom designed for different laptops models. The drivers provided by NVIDIA are generic and thus all the functions are not working with the NVIDIA drivers.

Best Regards
NVIDIA Customer Care[/quote]

This is completely the opposite of what I was told in the last email, saying the my computer is only Optimus and not Hybrid! I am very disappointed, and wrote a reply for clarification back to Nvidia.

DO NOT BUY ION!!! This is the sole conclusion here. Myself, due to lack of response about this matter from Nvidia, I will avoid the company here on, and recommend others to do the same. The company's behavior is simply not professional in allowing a whole series of GPU's to be sold without proper functionality nor support.

I am saddened to be stuck with my netbook. ASUS is another failure and part of this just the same.
And now I get another response:

Hello Assaf,

Thanks for the update.

Please be informed that NVIDIA does not have any drivers as ION2 is in Hybrid SLI in your ASUS 1215N and NVIDIA drivers are not compatible with notebooks that supports Hybrid SLI with Intel graphics.

Since ION2 is an End-of-Life product, there wont be any future drivers from NVIDIA, only possible place to find this driver is from your notebook manufacturers.

Please note that NVIDIA manufactures the chipsets for the laptop graphic adapters and they are integrated with the motherboards made by the laptop manufacturers. Thus the architecture of the chipset is to be custom designed for different laptops models. The drivers provided by NVIDIA are generic and thus all the functions are not working with the NVIDIA drivers.

Best Regards

NVIDIA Customer Care

This is completely the opposite of what I was told in the last email, saying the my computer is only Optimus and not Hybrid! I am very disappointed, and wrote a reply for clarification back to Nvidia.

DO NOT BUY ION!!! This is the sole conclusion here. Myself, due to lack of response about this matter from Nvidia, I will avoid the company here on, and recommend others to do the same. The company's behavior is simply not professional in allowing a whole series of GPU's to be sold without proper functionality nor support.

I am saddened to be stuck with my netbook. ASUS is another failure and part of this just the same.

Posted 01/31/2012 01:12 PM   
ION2 is EOL now? Promise a working solution, fail at it, and then just abandon it without fixing it.

Great job nvidia.
ION2 is EOL now? Promise a working solution, fail at it, and then just abandon it without fixing it.

Great job nvidia.

Posted 01/31/2012 08:15 PM   
Now that I know the cause of the ION not working issues, I am VERY pissed off. Went through like 6 drivers before giving up and doing a system restore to get my old one back. Makes me wonder what will replace the now defunct ION as a netbook GPU. Poured a lot of time and money into it to now learn it is outdated and support for it has dropped after only 2 years or less. If Nvidia and Asus won't do something to fix it, I will sell this hunk of junk and get something that's AMD powered.
Now that I know the cause of the ION not working issues, I am VERY pissed off. Went through like 6 drivers before giving up and doing a system restore to get my old one back. Makes me wonder what will replace the now defunct ION as a netbook GPU. Poured a lot of time and money into it to now learn it is outdated and support for it has dropped after only 2 years or less. If Nvidia and Asus won't do something to fix it, I will sell this hunk of junk and get something that's AMD powered.

System I run: Asus Eee PC 1215N overclocked. CPU speed: 2.3 GHz. ION speed: 625 core, 948 memory, and 1500 shader (all in MHz). 8 Gb memory (all 8 of it usable in my 32 bit Windows 7 OS, ask and I will tell how). Seagate Momentus XT 500 Gb hybrid solid state hard drive. Broadcom wireless card with A,B,G,and dual band N as well as Bluetooth 4.0. All other things stock (for now...).

Posted 02/06/2012 06:55 AM   
Another very pissed off customer, i will not be recommending you.
Another very pissed off customer, i will not be recommending you.

Posted 02/10/2013 12:17 AM   
well this sucks... after reading thru this thread I'm very pissed at NVIDIA right now :| Are there still no updates? :(, my games are soo laggy :(
well this sucks... after reading thru this thread I'm very pissed at NVIDIA right now :|
Are there still no updates? :(, my games are soo laggy :(

Posted 03/14/2013 05:29 PM   
Does anyone know the last NVidia driver released that is compatible with the 1215n gpu? When I try to install the 314.07 driver on Win8, I get the following error message without fail: 'The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." Thanks for your time and help. Nvidia reps, I'm not sure why you've decided to pull the 1215n from this driver release entirely, but I think it is a little difficult to believe that a product released within the last five years should be neglected. Ion is still supported by the driver, so why is it unable to find my chipset on a 1215n? Thanks!
Does anyone know the last NVidia driver released that is compatible with the 1215n gpu? When I try to install the 314.07 driver on Win8, I get the following error message without fail:

'The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Thanks for your time and help. Nvidia reps, I'm not sure why you've decided to pull the 1215n from this driver release entirely, but I think it is a little difficult to believe that a product released within the last five years should be neglected.

Ion is still supported by the driver, so why is it unable to find my chipset on a 1215n?

Thanks!

Posted 03/14/2013 08:37 PM   
Hi, all. Solved this question myself. The latest driver that will still install on the 1215n using Windows 7/8 is 310.33 beta. Dear Nvidia. Would you please work on the problem of why our ion chipset is no longer recognized by the driver install package? If Ion is still supported, as stated on the most recent driver download pages, there is no reason the 1215n should be left behind. Thank you!
Hi, all. Solved this question myself. The latest driver that will still install on the 1215n using Windows 7/8 is 310.33 beta.

Dear Nvidia. Would you please work on the problem of why our ion chipset is no longer recognized by the driver install package? If Ion is still supported, as stated on the most recent driver download pages, there is no reason the 1215n should be left behind. Thank you!

Posted 03/14/2013 09:44 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top