My Cooling, 3x GPU Advice needed. Is this cooling good enaugh?
  1 / 2    
Hello,

Consider the next build as your own build. You want it cool, you want it fast and silent ofcourse.

The Idea I came up with will be descriped in a 3D-Paint-Image which you see beneath these lines of text.
But the one thing where im not shure about is the GPU Cooling, is there a way to cool down my 3 gpu`s? I mean is there still room left to mounth something of do I need to mod my case?

All Idea`s are welcome! But there is one thing I like to keep, I got a 230 (which is 200mm actualy) fan with blue led lights and 3x 120mm with blue lights either. I like to keep the blue led lights and keep them where they are.
But ofcourse it you think that isnt good or I can make it better, just post your Idea and I will happily recieve your advise!

[img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-WRIIYQXT.jpg[/img]

CPU FAN: Enermax ETS-T40-TA
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650DW Black
Case Fan: 3x Gelid Wing 12 PWM UV 120mm Blue
Case Fan: 2X Thermaltake Silent Fan 230mm Blue

Total Build:

Processor(CPU): Intel Core i7 2600k
GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B3LT Black
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution B3 Revision
RAM (Memory): 2x Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 kit
Power supply: Corsair Professional HX1050 1050W

Hard Drive 1: Crucial m4 128GB
Hard Drive 2: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

WIFI: ASUS PCE-N13

Extra: NZXT Sleeved Led kit Blue 2m
Extra: Antec Veris Multimedia Station Premier
Extra: Scythe Kama Panel 3
Hello,

Consider the next build as your own build. You want it cool, you want it fast and silent ofcourse.

The Idea I came up with will be descriped in a 3D-Paint-Image which you see beneath these lines of text.

But the one thing where im not shure about is the GPU Cooling, is there a way to cool down my 3 gpu`s? I mean is there still room left to mounth something of do I need to mod my case?

All Idea`s are welcome! But there is one thing I like to keep, I got a 230 (which is 200mm actualy) fan with blue led lights and 3x 120mm with blue lights either. I like to keep the blue led lights and keep them where they are.

But ofcourse it you think that isnt good or I can make it better, just post your Idea and I will happily recieve your advise!

Total Build:

Processor(CPU): Intel Core i7 2600k

GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB

Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B3LT Black

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution B3 Revision

RAM (Memory): 2x Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 kit

Power supply: Corsair Professional HX1050 1050W

Hard Drive 1: Crucial m4 128GB

Hard Drive 2: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

WIFI: ASUS PCE-N13

Extra: NZXT Sleeved Led kit Blue 2m

Extra: Antec Veris Multimedia Station Premier

Extra: Scythe Kama Panel 3

Posted 01/18/2012 07:23 PM   
I'd never stack Fermi's --they're hot and loud when you do. Get a board that has triple slot spacing for 3way SLI.
I'd never stack Fermi's --they're hot and loud when you do. Get a board that has triple slot spacing for 3way SLI.

Done.

Posted 01/19/2012 08:46 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='19 January 2012 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1327005996' post='1358009']
[/quote]

Already found a perfect Idea :) basic idea is putting an airco system in front of the pc so it blows cool air in.

Ok guys, this might sound weird but whats the coolest temperature suitable for a computer XD?

Whoops, nevermind! bad, bad idea >.<
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='19 January 2012 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1327005996' post='1358009']

Already found a perfect Idea :) basic idea is putting an airco system in front of the pc so it blows cool air in.

Ok guys, this might sound weird but whats the coolest temperature suitable for a computer XD?

Whoops, nevermind! bad, bad idea >.<

Posted 01/19/2012 11:14 PM   
[quote name='tehpikachu' date='20 January 2012 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1327020558' post='1358091']
Yeah, very bad idea.
[/quote]

Ok, lets brainstorm... Well actualy not, lets say that I was used to work as a carpenter and I designed my own desk which im going to build. I could make some extra space for my computer because the computer will be placed inside of this desk but with enough room to cool. What im asking is could I add an external cooling system, no matter what up to 300 USD budget? Any idea`s except watercooling. I just dont trust that one and please dont speak it out of my mind cuz normal cooler will be always saver then watercooling. And those parts are too expensife to match with watercooling for my opinion.

So, is there any way too cool the system down? (even when you think it isnt possibile to get that because trust me I know quite alot people, oh im not talking about illigal stuf XD.

Greets, Vincent
[quote name='tehpikachu' date='20 January 2012 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1327020558' post='1358091']

Yeah, very bad idea.

Ok, lets brainstorm... Well actualy not, lets say that I was used to work as a carpenter and I designed my own desk which im going to build. I could make some extra space for my computer because the computer will be placed inside of this desk but with enough room to cool. What im asking is could I add an external cooling system, no matter what up to 300 USD budget? Any idea`s except watercooling. I just dont trust that one and please dont speak it out of my mind cuz normal cooler will be always saver then watercooling. And those parts are too expensife to match with watercooling for my opinion.

So, is there any way too cool the system down? (even when you think it isnt possibile to get that because trust me I know quite alot people, oh im not talking about illigal stuf XD.

Greets, Vincent

Posted 01/20/2012 04:11 PM   
Inside a desk you'd need to build intake an ehaust fans that line up with the fans on your case. If you want you can use a window unit and drop the ambient room temp to around 50F like a server closet, but don't place the HVAC exhaust into the case intake.
Inside a desk you'd need to build intake an ehaust fans that line up with the fans on your case. If you want you can use a window unit and drop the ambient room temp to around 50F like a server closet, but don't place the HVAC exhaust into the case intake.

Done.

Posted 01/20/2012 04:28 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1327076909' post='1358365']
[/quote]

A window unit? you mean a fan in the glass side panel of the case I have?

[EDIT] A window unit is pretty nice yes, but I wonder can I also place them inside instead on a 'window'?
Oh this might result in some idea`s...

I can conpletely seal my computer off. like in an airtight box. I have remote control as switch computer on button and a external optical drive. Could this give some possibilities?

And ohh, Likey, likey...

Thermaltake (CL-P0466) Case Cooling Fan, CPU Fan, Noise Reducer, Cooling Fan, Heatsink With Fan

[img]http://di1-1.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/6e/90/63/75661018-260x260-0-0_Thermaltake+Thermaltake+SpinQ+CPU+Cooler+Socket+77.jpg[/img]

Or this one...

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler

[img]http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2010/october/550x-Zalman-CNPS9900-MAX-1.jpg[/img]

Oh by tha way, this is going to be my desk, ya can call it a carpenters casemod.

B.A.Z. = Sight from above
V.A.Z. = Front
R&L.A.Z. = Right and left sight

[img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-SLLOSCR4.jpg[/img]
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1327076909' post='1358365']

A window unit? you mean a fan in the glass side panel of the case I have?

[EDIT] A window unit is pretty nice yes, but I wonder can I also place them inside instead on a 'window'?

Oh this might result in some idea`s...

I can conpletely seal my computer off. like in an airtight box. I have remote control as switch computer on button and a external optical drive. Could this give some possibilities?

And ohh, Likey, likey...

Thermaltake (CL-P0466) Case Cooling Fan, CPU Fan, Noise Reducer, Cooling Fan, Heatsink With Fan

Or this one...

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler

Oh by tha way, this is going to be my desk, ya can call it a carpenters casemod.

B.A.Z. = Sight from above

V.A.Z. = Front

R&L.A.Z. = Right and left sight

Posted 01/20/2012 04:32 PM   
You can use a window air conditioner to reduce the temperature in the room you game in.

Also --using an airtight box is a [i]very[/i] bad idea. You need airflow for cooling.
You can use a window air conditioner to reduce the temperature in the room you game in.

Also --using an airtight box is a very bad idea. You need airflow for cooling.

Done.

Posted 01/20/2012 04:49 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1327078199' post='1358376']

Also --using an airtight box is a [i]very[/i] bad idea. You need airflow for cooling.
[/quote]

The computer room is sadly enough also my bedroom and I like it warm. So that will be a problem. Isnt there a device like an airco that blowes dry-cold air which where specialy made for computers? It kinda suprice`s me that there is only normal air cooling and watercooling and thats it, except for the window module >.<
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1327078199' post='1358376']

Also --using an airtight box is a very bad idea. You need airflow for cooling.

The computer room is sadly enough also my bedroom and I like it warm. So that will be a problem. Isnt there a device like an airco that blowes dry-cold air which where specialy made for computers? It kinda suprice`s me that there is only normal air cooling and watercooling and thats it, except for the window module >.<

Posted 01/20/2012 04:54 PM   
[quote name='V.J.B.' date='20 January 2012 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1327078456' post='1358378']
[/quote]

There are many other ways to cool, but air is the most common and safest. You will not find anything but an AC that blows cold air, any change in temperature will draw the moisture out of the air itself risking condensation.
[quote name='V.J.B.' date='20 January 2012 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1327078456' post='1358378']

There are many other ways to cool, but air is the most common and safest. You will not find anything but an AC that blows cold air, any change in temperature will draw the moisture out of the air itself risking condensation.

Done.

Posted 01/20/2012 06:05 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1327082739' post='1358397']
[/quote]

Well in that case.. Lets draw a scenario.

Well, this scenario represents the computer (black) the wooden case around it (brown) and the possebilities with fans & fixed fans (blue)

What is the best idea? I can make some fans into the wooden bords at the front and at the back of the case, I can also mounth an external extra fan at the back of the computer but that one must needs to be mounted at the motherbord. The rest will be external mounted... and gosh I dont have a freaking idea of how this works anyway...

Is it smart to place 2 fans at the hard drive`s? as you can see... the 120mm

[img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-OM7FBP4W.jpg[/img]
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 January 2012 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1327082739' post='1358397']

Well in that case.. Lets draw a scenario.

Well, this scenario represents the computer (black) the wooden case around it (brown) and the possebilities with fans & fixed fans (blue)

What is the best idea? I can make some fans into the wooden bords at the front and at the back of the case, I can also mounth an external extra fan at the back of the computer but that one must needs to be mounted at the motherbord. The rest will be external mounted... and gosh I dont have a freaking idea of how this works anyway...

Is it smart to place 2 fans at the hard drive`s? as you can see... the 120mm

Posted 01/20/2012 07:39 PM   
Ok, Ill start up a new topic because after reading something with 2x sli gpu a gpu fried... I deffintly dont want that!
So... as this deserves extra attention.. I will start a new topic
Ok, Ill start up a new topic because after reading something with 2x sli gpu a gpu fried... I deffintly dont want that!

So... as this deserves extra attention.. I will start a new topic

Posted 01/20/2012 09:14 PM   
One thing I will say is that you need to make sure the airflow is there...

You could put the PC in an enclosure - but you'd need to make sure the heat generated by the PC was properly directed away from it; or you'd end up with a hot PC. Lots of fans blowing in at the front and more extracting the air at the rear would work, but you'd need to ensure that the fans at the rear directed the air somewhere (ideally not near the front fans). Sideways mounted fans at the rear of an enclosure could work.
How were you thinking of powering them?

As for the case layout...
The idea of 2x 120mm fans on the other side of the HDD enclosure is a good one (if they'll fit) - should help direct air to the GPUs quite well.

The best way to keep aircooled GPUs cool is (you guessed it) to supply them with lots of cool air. I was going to suggest something... but the case wouldn't allow it... So, if you could add a cooling fan (or multiple) on your side panel positioned to blow air directly onto your GPUs (with a bit of an overlap - so it will direct air into the GPU fans), you'd probably get better air flow through them and thus better temps. But this would require making holes - something you may not want to do.
Another option is to utilise the mounting holes on the end of the GPU - you can fit a fan directly to these - blowing air into the GPUs for cooling...

You could put the PC in an enclosure - but you'd need to make sure the heat generated by the PC was properly directed away from it; or you'd end up with a hot PC. Lots of fans blowing in at the front and more extracting the air at the rear would work, but you'd need to ensure that the fans at the rear directed the air somewhere (ideally not near the front fans). Sideways mounted fans at the rear of an enclosure could work.

The idea of 2x 120mm fans on the other side of the HDD enclosure is a good one (if they'll fit) - should help direct air to the GPUs quite well.

The best way to keep aircooled GPUs cool is (you guessed it) to supply them with lots of cool air. I was going to suggest something... but the case wouldn't allow it... So, if you could add a cooling fan (or multiple) on your side panel positioned to blow air directly onto your GPUs (with a bit of an overlap - so it will direct air into the GPU fans), you'd probably get better air flow through them and thus better temps. But this would require making holes - something you may not want to do.

Another option is to utilise the mounting holes on the end of the GPU - you can fit a fan directly to these - blowing air into the GPUs for cooling...

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/20/2012 09:51 PM   
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 January 2012 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1327096301' post='1358498']

[/quote]

This was some verry usefull information, I will cut a hole in the glass or better ill let it do by an profeccional :) thanks for the information!
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 January 2012 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1327096301' post='1358498']

This was some verry usefull information, I will cut a hole in the glass or better ill let it do by an profeccional :) thanks for the information!

Posted 01/20/2012 10:17 PM   
There's loads of vids out there on cutting holes in windows - Also, look up MNPCTech - Bill's got templates for cutting and a video or two I believe [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseModTutorials.html"]Clicky[/url]
There's loads of vids out there on cutting holes in windows - Also, look up MNPCTech - Bill's got templates for cutting and a video or two I believe Clicky

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/20/2012 10:39 PM   
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 January 2012 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1327099195' post='1358519']
There's loads of vids out there on cutting holes in windows - Also, look up MNPCTech - Bill's got templates for cutting and a video or two I believe [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseModTutorials.html"]Clicky[/url]
[/quote]

And how about placing a cooling system on the gpu mounting hole? are there special coolers for that?
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 January 2012 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1327099195' post='1358519']

There's loads of vids out there on cutting holes in windows - Also, look up MNPCTech - Bill's got templates for cutting and a video or two I believe Clicky

And how about placing a cooling system on the gpu mounting hole? are there special coolers for that?

Posted 01/20/2012 10:41 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top