RAID 5 array deleted! Help needed.
Dear all,

I have a problem with my RAID 5 system. Mainboard concerned is a Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G rev. 1.0, BIOS version F15B (nForce 430) and nVidia MediaShield RAID BIOS of April 13th, 2007.
I run a RAID 5 system on that board. This Sunday while starting the system the RAID BIOS reported a degraded RAID5 array. However, switched to the Windows 7 start screen. But I did not boot, switched the PC off and searched for the problem. It was a loose SATA plug. I’ve plugged it in again and then, when starting the system, the RAID BIOS still reported the degraded RAID 5 and one with error and only that drive inside. So far nothing unusual, this happened before. But in the past I was able to start the system and rebuild the array from within windows. This time, with the lost drive plugged in again, I was not shown the Windows 7 start screen anymore. So I plugged that drive out again and tried again. No success. I saw only the degraded RAID 5 again but the Win7 start screen didn’t appear anymore.
I entered the RAID BIOS with F10 and tried, after plugging the other drive in again, to delete the error array with only one disk inside and bind this disk onto the degraded array again. But then the BIOS already wanted to delete my data.
So I quit and deleted the degraded array with the left 3 disks, too (maybe a major mistake…). Then I tried to set a completely new RAID5 array up, binding the drives in in the same order as they were before (0.0 - 0.1 - 1.0 - 1.1). But then again the information window popped up that all data on the drives will be deleted. Then I quit.
So, now I have the 4 drives and want to reconstruct the array without loosing any data - there’s important data on the drives.
Is there a way to reconstruct it?
I’m not a hardware newbie and as far as I understand, the information, that a hard disk is part of a RAID array is written somewhere - MBR, MFT or else I assume? Can someone tell me, where I have to put which information (e.g. with a HEX editor) so the controller may recognize my drives as working RAID 5 again?
Or does someone know another possibility to get access to the data? Of course there must be a way, as the expensive recovery services get access, too - somehow. The question is if anybody of you has that knowledge - I hope on help from nVidia experts who might read this 
However, many thanks in advance for every useful answer!

Best regards,
-ASP-
Dear all,

I have a problem with my RAID 5 system. Mainboard concerned is a Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G rev. 1.0, BIOS version F15B (nForce 430) and nVidia MediaShield RAID BIOS of April 13th, 2007.

I run a RAID 5 system on that board. This Sunday while starting the system the RAID BIOS reported a degraded RAID5 array. However, switched to the Windows 7 start screen. But I did not boot, switched the PC off and searched for the problem. It was a loose SATA plug. I’ve plugged it in again and then, when starting the system, the RAID BIOS still reported the degraded RAID 5 and one with error and only that drive inside. So far nothing unusual, this happened before. But in the past I was able to start the system and rebuild the array from within windows. This time, with the lost drive plugged in again, I was not shown the Windows 7 start screen anymore. So I plugged that drive out again and tried again. No success. I saw only the degraded RAID 5 again but the Win7 start screen didn’t appear anymore.

I entered the RAID BIOS with F10 and tried, after plugging the other drive in again, to delete the error array with only one disk inside and bind this disk onto the degraded array again. But then the BIOS already wanted to delete my data.

So I quit and deleted the degraded array with the left 3 disks, too (maybe a major mistake…). Then I tried to set a completely new RAID5 array up, binding the drives in in the same order as they were before (0.0 - 0.1 - 1.0 - 1.1). But then again the information window popped up that all data on the drives will be deleted. Then I quit.

So, now I have the 4 drives and want to reconstruct the array without loosing any data - there’s important data on the drives.

Is there a way to reconstruct it?

I’m not a hardware newbie and as far as I understand, the information, that a hard disk is part of a RAID array is written somewhere - MBR, MFT or else I assume? Can someone tell me, where I have to put which information (e.g. with a HEX editor) so the controller may recognize my drives as working RAID 5 again?

Or does someone know another possibility to get access to the data? Of course there must be a way, as the expensive recovery services get access, too - somehow. The question is if anybody of you has that knowledge - I hope on help from nVidia experts who might read this 

However, many thanks in advance for every useful answer!

Best regards,

-ASP-

Posted 01/17/2012 01:30 PM   
try dmraid with a linux live cd.
and don't forget: raid is NOT a backup! if your data is important to you, you MUST make backups.
try dmraid with a linux live cd.

and don't forget: raid is NOT a backup! if your data is important to you, you MUST make backups.
Posted 01/19/2012 01:13 PM   
ASP, Did you re-create that RAID? Have you seen this thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170977 ? Poster claims that when he placed all the drives into a new array, chose to continue at the Clear Data warning and then chose NO at the Clear MBR promt that his RAID5 was re-created without data loss. I would image all the drives before attempting this. Has anyone else had the same results?
ASP, Did you re-create that RAID? Have you seen this thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170977 ? Poster claims that when he placed all the drives into a new array, chose to continue at the Clear Data warning and then chose NO at the Clear MBR promt that his RAID5 was re-created without data loss. I would image all the drives before attempting this. Has anyone else had the same results?

Posted 02/11/2012 11:03 PM   
Scroll To Top