Should I Overclock My Core2Quad?
hey, everyone.

I've recently done an overhaul on my pc. I purchased a new case, a Gigabyte GTX560 Ti and a new PSU (for the graphics card of course). My system is running an Intel Q6600 stock @ 2.4ghz. What i'm trying to achieve here from overclocking is an FPS boost from my games. It does well in most games giving a 60 fps minimum at high - max settings, with occasional FPS drops, always played in 1920x1080. Games such as NFS Shift 2: Unleashed and GTA IV won't stay over 45fps even when lowered to medium settings. I play all my games in Windows XP. I feel that my Q6600 may be holding back the GTX 560 Ti just a little. And i'm also finding that almost everybody online that has this cpu has it overclocked to 3.0ghz with no problems.

Sadly, i kept my stock intel cooler. I was told it shouldnt be a problem with this CPU. However i notice that temps are considerably high sometimes, especially on hotter days. Sometimes i find the CPU around 45°C just on idle and around 70°C after gaming. Is this dangerous? I will definitely purchase a better cooler if i overclock for sure. Also, will mixed RAM be any trouble?? I have 2 sticks, both different brands, see below.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz (stock speed) - with the intel stock cooler :P
3GB DDR2 (1x 2GB A-RAM PC2-6400 (400 mhz), 1x 1GB Infineon PC2-5300 (333 mhz)) - Might consider going to 4GB DDR3 in one stick, i would go to 6GB or 8GB but then i'll need to install Windows 64Bit, 4GB should be enough.
Gigabyte GTX560 Ti (900mhz stock overclock) 1GB DRR5
Thermaltake ToughPower 775W
Coolermaster Centurion II
2x 80GB (boot drives)
WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

suggestions anyone?
hey, everyone.

I've recently done an overhaul on my pc. I purchased a new case, a Gigabyte GTX560 Ti and a new PSU (for the graphics card of course). My system is running an Intel Q6600 stock @ 2.4ghz. What i'm trying to achieve here from overclocking is an FPS boost from my games. It does well in most games giving a 60 fps minimum at high - max settings, with occasional FPS drops, always played in 1920x1080. Games such as NFS Shift 2: Unleashed and GTA IV won't stay over 45fps even when lowered to medium settings. I play all my games in Windows XP. I feel that my Q6600 may be holding back the GTX 560 Ti just a little. And i'm also finding that almost everybody online that has this cpu has it overclocked to 3.0ghz with no problems.

Sadly, i kept my stock intel cooler. I was told it shouldnt be a problem with this CPU. However i notice that temps are considerably high sometimes, especially on hotter days. Sometimes i find the CPU around 45°C just on idle and around 70°C after gaming. Is this dangerous? I will definitely purchase a better cooler if i overclock for sure. Also, will mixed RAM be any trouble?? I have 2 sticks, both different brands, see below.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX

3GB DDR2 (1x 2GB A-RAM PC2-6400 (400 mhz), 1x 1GB Infineon PC2-5300 (333 mhz)) - Might consider going to 4GB DDR3 in one stick, i would go to 6GB or 8GB but then i'll need to install Windows 64Bit, 4GB should be enough.

2x 80GB (boot drives)

WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

suggestions anyone?

Posted 01/14/2012 10:30 PM   
hey, everyone.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX
2x 80GB (boot drives)
WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

suggestions anyone?
hey, everyone.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX

2x 80GB (boot drives)

WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

suggestions anyone?

Posted 01/14/2012 10:30 PM   
I had the CPU myself and they are pretty easy to clock up to 3.0 - 3.6GHz

First things first:

1: You can't use DDR3 memory with your current setup. The motherboard does not support it - nor will the sticks physically fit.

2: You are going to need to ditch the 333MHz RAM if you want to go above 3.0GHz. The RAM speed ideally needs to be equal or above what the target FSB is. 333MHz RAM will restrict you to something very close to 333MHz x 9 for the CPU (3.0GHz) If you wanted 3.6GHz you need atleast 400MHz RAM. Try to avoid mixing sticks if you can as it can lead to instability. Identical is best.

3: You NEED a decent CPU cooler. Q6600s are HOT chips. They take a LOT of voltage if you push them far enough. You really want to keep things below 75C. 90C is the shut down temp on these chips and increasing the frequency / voltage is going to increase heat dramatically.

First things first:

1: You can't use DDR3 memory with your current setup. The motherboard does not support it - nor will the sticks physically fit.

2: You are going to need to ditch the 333MHz RAM if you want to go above 3.0GHz. The RAM speed ideally needs to be equal or above what the target FSB is. 333MHz RAM will restrict you to something very close to 333MHz x 9 for the CPU (3.0GHz) If you wanted 3.6GHz you need atleast 400MHz RAM. Try to avoid mixing sticks if you can as it can lead to instability. Identical is best.

3: You NEED a decent CPU cooler. Q6600s are HOT chips. They take a LOT of voltage if you push them far enough. You really want to keep things below 75C. 90C is the shut down temp on these chips and increasing the frequency / voltage is going to increase heat dramatically.

First things first:

First things first:

[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='15 January 2012 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1326581070' post='1356035']

First things first:

[/quote]

my bad, i didnt mention that the motherboard does both DDR2 and DDR3. When i purchased the board i told the bloke at the shop what parts i had and the board turned out to match perfectly, with the advantage of having DDR3 as an option. Just as i thought, i'll definitely need a new CPU cooler, overclock or not. It's gonna be hot soon here in Melbourne and the room where my computer is gets pretty hot in the summer. Ill try and grab 4GB DDR3 in a single stick when i go for the cpu cooler. I was thinking of the Corsair H60 liquid cooler (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/cwch60-corsair-liquid-cooler-p-53037.html?sort=2a) or the Thermaltake Jing (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/p0574-thermaltake-jing-quiet-cooler-p-48670.html?sort=3a) there's a $17 difference. Also, is RAM cooling necessary?? Sorry for all the questions, i'm still new... to overclocking, that is.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='15 January 2012 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1326581070' post='1356035']

First things first:

my bad, i didnt mention that the motherboard does both DDR2 and DDR3. When i purchased the board i told the bloke at the shop what parts i had and the board turned out to match perfectly, with the advantage of having DDR3 as an option. Just as i thought, i'll definitely need a new CPU cooler, overclock or not. It's gonna be hot soon here in Melbourne and the room where my computer is gets pretty hot in the summer. Ill try and grab 4GB DDR3 in a single stick when i go for the cpu cooler. I was thinking of the Corsair H60 liquid cooler (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/cwch60-corsair-liquid-cooler-p-53037.html?sort=2a) or the Thermaltake Jing (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/p0574-thermaltake-jing-quiet-cooler-p-48670.html?sort=3a) there's a $17 difference. Also, is RAM cooling necessary?? Sorry for all the questions, i'm still new... to overclocking, that is.

Posted 01/14/2012 11:01 PM   

First things first:

[/quote]

First things first:

Posted 01/14/2012 11:01 PM   
I'd go for 2x 4GB high freq. DIMMs (1066 MHz DDR2). Yesterday I was able to use 48% of my memory on YouTube videos, alone. That's 3GB out of 6GB DDR3 used in "everyday" super-YouTube-tasking.

So from now on I recommend people to go with at least 6(tri)/8(dual/quad) GB RAM, unless budget says no.
I'd go for 2x 4GB high freq. DIMMs (1066 MHz DDR2). Yesterday I was able to use 48% of my memory on YouTube videos, alone. That's 3GB out of 6GB DDR3 used in "everyday" super-YouTube-tasking.

So from now on I recommend people to go with at least 6(tri)/8(dual/quad) GB RAM, unless budget says no.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 01/15/2012 01:29 AM   

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 01/15/2012 01:29 AM   
[quote name='RuffeDK' date='15 January 2012 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1326590991' post='1356091']

[/quote]

Yeah, for the same price i can get 4GB DDR3 in 1 stick or 2 sticks. i havent looked at frequencies yet. Memory has never been a problem for me except one time i was trying to encode a HD video in Sony Vegas and i had to have everything else closed, but i can have 3 tabs in google chrome with a youtube video loading in each one, itunes, windows messenger, multiple windows explorer, etc.. and memory is around 60% the last time i checked. 4GB would balance it a bit more. apart from web surfing, photoshop, music and games i dont do anything too focused on memory.
[quote name='RuffeDK' date='15 January 2012 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1326590991' post='1356091']

Yeah, for the same price i can get 4GB DDR3 in 1 stick or 2 sticks. i havent looked at frequencies yet. Memory has never been a problem for me except one time i was trying to encode a HD video in Sony Vegas and i had to have everything else closed, but i can have 3 tabs in google chrome with a youtube video loading in each one, itunes, windows messenger, multiple windows explorer, etc.. and memory is around 60% the last time i checked. 4GB would balance it a bit more. apart from web surfing, photoshop, music and games i dont do anything too focused on memory.

Posted 01/15/2012 02:10 AM   

[/quote]

Posted 01/15/2012 02:10 AM   
Be very careful about overclocking a Q6600 on a ASUS P5G41C-M LX

One of the most common overclocking mistakes is overclocking on a weak, budget motherboard.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41CM_LX

I dont see a VRM heatsink. Only see a few VRM mosfets. 4-pin cpu connector.
Sorry about the bad news but, in my opinion, your motherboard is bad for overclocking a Q6600.
If you do overclock on that board, set Vcore as low as possible (no auto OC), and keep air flowing across the VRM's.
And avoid running cpu stress tests because your board is a budget board, not built for cpu stress tests while overclocking q6600 in a hot room.

I also have a Q6600 and this motherboard here
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5K_PremiumWiFiAP/

notice the huge copper heatsinks which your motherboard does not have.

seriously consider buying a newer (more energy efficient) cpu and newer compatible motherboard.
intel core i's are good gaming cpu's.

Since your motherboard supports dual-channel ram, it's better to run 2 or 4 ram sticks. 1 ram stick is only about half ram bandwidth compared to 2 ram sticks. one ram stick might be enough for gaming on a modern motherboard with a modern cpu, but I personally would not want it on an old socket 775 board.

One of the most common overclocking mistakes is overclocking on a weak, budget motherboard.

Sorry about the bad news but, in my opinion, your motherboard is bad for overclocking a Q6600.

If you do overclock on that board, set Vcore as low as possible (no auto OC), and keep air flowing across the VRM's.

And avoid running cpu stress tests because your board is a budget board, not built for cpu stress tests while overclocking q6600 in a hot room.

seriously consider buying a newer (more energy efficient) cpu and newer compatible motherboard.

Since your motherboard supports dual-channel ram, it's better to run 2 or 4 ram sticks. 1 ram stick is only about half ram bandwidth compared to 2 ram sticks. one ram stick might be enough for gaming on a modern motherboard with a modern cpu, but I personally would not want it on an old socket 775 board.

[Acer GD245HQ - 1920x1080 120Hz] [Nvidia 3D Vision]
[Asus P7H55 - core i3 530 @4.15GHz ~1.39V and Zalman CNPS5X] [Transcend 2x2GB DDR3]
[Palit GTX 260 @ 695MHz (580 died)] [Intel SSD 330 - 240GB]
[Creative Titanium HD + Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm) headphones] [Windows 7 64bit]

Posted 01/15/2012 02:35 AM   

[Acer GD245HQ - 1920x1080 120Hz] [Nvidia 3D Vision]
[Asus P7H55 - core i3 530 @4.15GHz ~1.39V and Zalman CNPS5X] [Transcend 2x2GB DDR3]
[Palit GTX 260 @ 695MHz (580 died)] [Intel SSD 330 - 240GB]
[Creative Titanium HD + Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm) headphones] [Windows 7 64bit]

Posted 01/15/2012 02:35 AM   
[quote name='Partol' date='15 January 2012 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1326594913' post='1356105']

[/quote]

yeah, ill admit it's not much of a high end board, but it's not too old and its decent. I got it for $75 at the local PC store, it's heaps better than my old board, which stuffed up on me after 2 yrs. But as long as it could take my CPU and didnt cost too much i was happy to buy it. It also comes with ASUS Turbo Key. How about tape modding the Q6600.. therefore no playing around in the bios?

Solved: got a Thermaltake Jing and overclocked 20%
[quote name='Partol' date='15 January 2012 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1326594913' post='1356105']

yeah, ill admit it's not much of a high end board, but it's not too old and its decent. I got it for $75 at the local PC store, it's heaps better than my old board, which stuffed up on me after 2 yrs. But as long as it could take my CPU and didnt cost too much i was happy to buy it. It also comes with ASUS Turbo Key. How about tape modding the Q6600.. therefore no playing around in the bios?

Posted 01/15/2012 03:15 AM   

[/quote]

Posted 01/15/2012 03:15 AM   
[quote name='MaloViski' date='14 January 2012 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1326580228' post='1356028']
hey, everyone.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX
2x 80GB (boot drives)
WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

suggestions anyone?
[/quote]

Hi, I've had one of those CPU's, increase the FSB to 1600mhz atleast if you want to see any big increase in FPS, thats whats holding it back, and keep the CPU frequency at 3ghz, but it depends on your heatsink ofcourse. The heat on the Q6600 is only bad if you have the first stepping.

But I would really suggest you to get a i7, even if its one of the cheaper ones its going to have a speed equal to 3200mhz FSB atleast.
[quote name='MaloViski' date='14 January 2012 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1326580228' post='1356028']

hey, everyone.

My full specs:

ASUS P5G41C-M LX

2x 80GB (boot drives)

WD Caviar Green 2TB

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

suggestions anyone?

Hi, I've had one of those CPU's, increase the FSB to 1600mhz atleast if you want to see any big increase in FPS, thats whats holding it back, and keep the CPU frequency at 3ghz, but it depends on your heatsink ofcourse. The heat on the Q6600 is only bad if you have the first stepping.

But I would really suggest you to get a i7, even if its one of the cheaper ones its going to have a speed equal to 3200mhz FSB atleast.

OS:Windows 8.1 64-bit CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K - EK HF Supreme Nickel/Acetal Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT CL9 2133mhz @2400mhz Motherboard: Rampage IV Formula Graphics: SLI 3x GTX 680 - EK Nickel/Acetal Waterblocks Sound: Asus Xonar Xense Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, NAS for backups and various other files. Network: Intel 82579V Gigabit, (BBB 1Gbit fiber), Monitor: Samsung S27B971D 27" 2560x1440 PSU: Corsair AX1200 Others: Mad Catz Strike 7, Mad Catz MMO7 Mouse. Using 2x XTX 360 Radiator with 3+3 Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm push+pull, Aquaero 5 Pro.

Posted 03/03/2012 11:51 PM   
Scroll To Top