SLI requirement questions! Noob to sli, need some help. :D
OK so i have a geforce 9600gt pny edition. I wanted to get another one and take advantage of the sli feature, but i just found out you need a motherboard that supports it. I have two pci express slots, but i don't know if i can use the other for sli. I would tall you what the motherboard is, but that's the thing. I don't know. I got it from a friend and I don't think this mobo was sold to the public. It has Intel chips, the on board gpu and spu both say "secret" on them, when you boot up the machine it says "Evaluation use only", and the intel software that is supposed to figure out what drivers you need can't even recognize this thing. It took me forever to get the drivers. It also has red LED digits on the board that display 00. Anyway, is there some utility/drivers that enable me to use sli if the motherboard isnt already sli compatible?

P.S. I'll attack a screenshot of what cpu-z says the motherboard is.
OK so i have a geforce 9600gt pny edition. I wanted to get another one and take advantage of the sli feature, but i just found out you need a motherboard that supports it. I have two pci express slots, but i don't know if i can use the other for sli. I would tall you what the motherboard is, but that's the thing. I don't know. I got it from a friend and I don't think this mobo was sold to the public. It has Intel chips, the on board gpu and spu both say "secret" on them, when you boot up the machine it says "Evaluation use only", and the intel software that is supposed to figure out what drivers you need can't even recognize this thing. It took me forever to get the drivers. It also has red LED digits on the board that display 00. Anyway, is there some utility/drivers that enable me to use sli if the motherboard isnt already sli compatible?

Attachments

mobosc.JPG

Posted 01/14/2012 08:20 PM   

Posted 01/14/2012 08:20 PM   
[quote name='JLH' date='15 January 2012 - 03:38 AM' timestamp='1326598716' post='1356119']
first thing is the mother board you have is for a Intel employee only as the ones that say evaluation only are for Intel employees to work from home.
second you should not be in possesion of the mother board.
third I know this as my wife has been an Intel employee for 18 years now.
[/quote]
well is there any way you can tell me what the board is????
[quote name='JLH' date='15 January 2012 - 03:38 AM' timestamp='1326598716' post='1356119']

first thing is the mother board you have is for a Intel employee only as the ones that say evaluation only are for Intel employees to work from home.

second you should not be in possesion of the mother board.

third I know this as my wife has been an Intel employee for 18 years now.

well is there any way you can tell me what the board is????

Posted 01/20/2012 01:23 AM   
* Cough * Sorry, my beverage went down the wrong pipe. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Try installing a little piece of software called " PC Wizard" or even Everest Free Edition...that might identify it near enough. CPU-Z is a good one as well. Other than that, you're kinda on your own with a board that shouldn't even be in your possession IMO. Drivers will be nearly impossible outside of the proprietary chain unless you know someone on the inside.

If it were me, I'd purchase another board to use with my particular processor and divest myself of that thing ASAP, if only to get onto a platform with better ( and LEGAL ) driver support. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
* Cough * Sorry, my beverage went down the wrong pipe. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Try installing a little piece of software called " PC Wizard" or even Everest Free Edition...that might identify it near enough. CPU-Z is a good one as well. Other than that, you're kinda on your own with a board that shouldn't even be in your possession IMO. Drivers will be nearly impossible outside of the proprietary chain unless you know someone on the inside.

If it were me, I'd purchase another board to use with my particular processor and divest myself of that thing ASAP, if only to get onto a platform with better ( and LEGAL ) driver support. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Work in Progress:

Case: Corsair 650D
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue
CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )
CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED
GPU: EVGA GTX 580
MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152

My cards in order of ownership: Intergraph Intense3D Voodoo (Rush), 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI, PNY GeForce4 MX 420 PCI, PNY nVidia 6600 AGP, BFG 7600GS O.C. AGP, BFG 8600GTS O.C. PCI-E, Xfx 9800GT PCI-E (SLI), BFG GTX 260 Maxcore 55 PCI-E (SLI), EVGA GTX 560 Ti PCI-E, EVGA GTX 580 1.5gb PCI-E

Posted 01/20/2012 02:02 AM   
[quote name='Navair2' date='20 January 2012 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1327024938' post='1358124']

[/quote]
lol my friend gave me the motherboard and didnt know where it came from, im sorry if im breaking rules, but im not gonna just throw the mobo out... the only driver i didnt find was sound but i have a good sound card so its all good. as you can see in the picture i attached, cpu-z didnt give me much...ill try the programs you suggested, thanks :)

P.S. cpu-id says my cpu is an intel core 2 quad Q9550, does the "quad" mean its a quad core? im using 32 bit windows so if is i wouldnt know...
[quote name='Navair2' date='20 January 2012 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1327024938' post='1358124']

lol my friend gave me the motherboard and didnt know where it came from, im sorry if im breaking rules, but im not gonna just throw the mobo out... the only driver i didnt find was sound but i have a good sound card so its all good. as you can see in the picture i attached, cpu-z didnt give me much...ill try the programs you suggested, thanks :)

P.S. cpu-id says my cpu is an intel core 2 quad Q9550, does the "quad" mean its a quad core? im using 32 bit windows so if is i wouldnt know...

Posted 01/20/2012 02:16 AM   
everest gave me the same as cpu id for the motherboard...
everest gave me the same as cpu id for the motherboard...
Attachments

cpuid.JPG

Posted 01/20/2012 03:35 AM   
Core2 Quad Q9550 is one of the best socket LGA 775 processors that was available, from around 2007-2008. Yes, it's a quad-core, hence 4 cores. As for getting rid of that board, the point is probably moot since it's older socket 775 Intel technology from about 5 years ago. Don't worry about it now... /laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':laugh:' />

It seems to me that most Intel motherboards manufactured within the last 5-7 years or so with at least two PCI-E slots natively support or can be made to support SLI and CrossFireX technologies...however, I'm not entirely sure how your board would fit into the scheme of things.

I'd say go ahead and install both cards with the rig powered down, then install the SLI bridge between them before powering up. If your case is a tower-type, connect your monitor cable to the top-most card's DVI or VGA connector, left-most port as you're looking at the backpanel. Fire it up and see if your operating system recognizes both cards...if so, you're mostly there. Then it's just a matter of the correct driver for the card(s) and operating system.
Core2 Quad Q9550 is one of the best socket LGA 775 processors that was available, from around 2007-2008. Yes, it's a quad-core, hence 4 cores. As for getting rid of that board, the point is probably moot since it's older socket 775 Intel technology from about 5 years ago. Don't worry about it now... /laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':laugh:' />

It seems to me that most Intel motherboards manufactured within the last 5-7 years or so with at least two PCI-E slots natively support or can be made to support SLI and CrossFireX technologies...however, I'm not entirely sure how your board would fit into the scheme of things.

I'd say go ahead and install both cards with the rig powered down, then install the SLI bridge between them before powering up. If your case is a tower-type, connect your monitor cable to the top-most card's DVI or VGA connector, left-most port as you're looking at the backpanel. Fire it up and see if your operating system recognizes both cards...if so, you're mostly there. Then it's just a matter of the correct driver for the card(s) and operating system.

Work in Progress:

Case: Corsair 650D
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue
CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )
CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED
GPU: EVGA GTX 580
MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152

My cards in order of ownership: Intergraph Intense3D Voodoo (Rush), 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI, PNY GeForce4 MX 420 PCI, PNY nVidia 6600 AGP, BFG 7600GS O.C. AGP, BFG 8600GTS O.C. PCI-E, Xfx 9800GT PCI-E (SLI), BFG GTX 260 Maxcore 55 PCI-E (SLI), EVGA GTX 560 Ti PCI-E, EVGA GTX 580 1.5gb PCI-E

Posted 01/21/2012 04:11 AM   
ur right it is four! i took the processor out and scraped the paste off and it had sharpie on it instead if print so i know this is a prototype that wasn't supposed to leave Intel lol. that explains why windows sees it as something else. cpu-z said it only had one core/thread so i went into the bios and for what ever reason there was a option called something like "single core mode" or something. i disabled it and bada boom, 4 cores.

i love nVidia, but i found a great ATI card for cheap that i want to crossfire. problem is, i don't want to buy two only to find out i can only use one. most bear lake motherboard specs ive seen support crossfire, but since i dont have a name or even a clue what model this is, i guess ill just have to try. do the catalyst drivers tell you if you are crossfire ready?
ur right it is four! i took the processor out and scraped the paste off and it had sharpie on it instead if print so i know this is a prototype that wasn't supposed to leave Intel lol. that explains why windows sees it as something else. cpu-z said it only had one core/thread so i went into the bios and for what ever reason there was a option called something like "single core mode" or something. i disabled it and bada boom, 4 cores.

i love nVidia, but i found a great ATI card for cheap that i want to crossfire. problem is, i don't want to buy two only to find out i can only use one. most bear lake motherboard specs ive seen support crossfire, but since i dont have a name or even a clue what model this is, i guess ill just have to try. do the catalyst drivers tell you if you are crossfire ready?

Posted 01/22/2012 06:22 AM   
The main problem I forsee is that support for SLI and Crossfire is not really hardware-controlled. It's a licensing issue. In theory, pretty much any board with two PCIe slots will support SLI and Crossfire, but it depends upon the drivers identifying a motherboard chipset that is licensed for SLI or Crossfire. The chips on this board don't seem to be identifying themselves to applications very well and you may find the drivers have the same problem.

You may have some luck using HyperSLI because it works by tricking the drivers into thinking you have an X58 chipset, which is SLI licensed. Not much help for Crossfire, though, I'm afraid.
The main problem I forsee is that support for SLI and Crossfire is not really hardware-controlled. It's a licensing issue. In theory, pretty much any board with two PCIe slots will support SLI and Crossfire, but it depends upon the drivers identifying a motherboard chipset that is licensed for SLI or Crossfire. The chips on this board don't seem to be identifying themselves to applications very well and you may find the drivers have the same problem.

You may have some luck using HyperSLI because it works by tricking the drivers into thinking you have an X58 chipset, which is SLI licensed. Not much help for Crossfire, though, I'm afraid.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 01/22/2012 10:18 AM   
[quote name='Discordia' date='22 January 2012 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1327227493' post='1359028']

[/quote]
ok well the card i want is ati but its only 70 bucks. maybe i should just try my luck and get a second and if the crossfire doesnt work, sell it on craigslist? thanks for your answer
[quote name='Discordia' date='22 January 2012 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1327227493' post='1359028']

ok well the card i want is ati but its only 70 bucks. maybe i should just try my luck and get a second and if the crossfire doesnt work, sell it on craigslist? thanks for your answer

Posted 01/24/2012 05:02 PM   
I still think you could have problems because, although the chipset may be one of the models that supports Crossfire, if the drivers can't identify it, they may not enable Crossfire.

Good luck, though! You're probably right. If you pay 70 bucks for the card and it doesn't work, it'll probably still be worth 70 bucks on craiglist.
I still think you could have problems because, although the chipset may be one of the models that supports Crossfire, if the drivers can't identify it, they may not enable Crossfire.

Good luck, though! You're probably right. If you pay 70 bucks for the card and it doesn't work, it'll probably still be worth 70 bucks on craiglist.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 01/25/2012 10:33 AM   
[quote name='Discordia' date='25 January 2012 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1327487635' post='1360316']

[/quote]
k ill take my chances when i absolutely need an upgrade. thanks for the help!!!
[quote name='Discordia' date='25 January 2012 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1327487635' post='1360316']

k ill take my chances when i absolutely need an upgrade. thanks for the help!!!

Posted 01/25/2012 05:09 PM   
X38 Bearlake (X) 82X38 (MCH) ICH9/ICH9R/ICH9-DH 2007.09 [sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#cite_note-29"][30][/url][/sup] Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Extreme Support for 45 nm No, according to [url="http://ark.intel.com/products/36525/82X38-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub"]Intel 82X38 Specs[/url] 800/1066/1333 MHz[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#cite_note-30"][31][/url][/sup] DDR3 800/1066/1333
DDR2 667/800/1066 8 GB No/DDR2 only [list][*]2 PCI-Express 16× 2.0[/list]Though it has 2 PCIe 16 slots , it doesn't say SLI ready .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

X38 Bearlake (X) 82X38 (MCH) ICH9/ICH9R/ICH9-DH 2007.09 [sup][30][/sup] Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Extreme Support for 45 nm No, according to Intel 82X38 Specs 800/1066/1333 MHz[sup][31][/sup] DDR3 800/1066/1333

DDR2 667/800/1066 8 GB No/DDR2 only
  • 2 PCI-Express 16× 2.0
Though it has 2 PCIe 16 slots , it doesn't say SLI ready .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

Posted 01/25/2012 05:17 PM   
Scroll To Top