DPC Latency problem related to NVIDIA drivers causes audio crackle/dropouts
  1 / 2    
This is my DPC latency with the NVIDIA drivers installed (tried the latest, the latest beta, a bunch of old drivers people were recommending in other threads, it's exactly the same with any of them):

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/122oz6r.jpg[/img]

There are no spikes, it's never in the green or yellow, in fact it consistently stays at this line forever.

This is my DPC latency with NVIDIA drivers uninstalled and using the default WinXP SP3 VGA driver:

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ihttub.jpg[/img]

As you can see, there are no problems, spikes, or any deviations whatsoever with no NVIDIA drivers installed.

What I've tried so far: fiddling with most BIOS settings, pulling out all other PCI cards, putting the graphics card into the 8x slot, disabling the USB on the motherboard, disabling the network/sound card on the motherboard, disabling pretty much everything on the motherboard, updating the BIOS, updating all motherboard-related drivers, pulling out all disks except the one with the current Windows installation, basically removing everything except the graphics card, doing the PowerMizer thing (even though it's not applicable to my system) and registry fixes, downclocking and overclocking with RivaTuner, and probably a few other things too.

The computer in question is a desktop with the Asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB motherboard, the graphics card in question is a Geforce 8800 GT. The DPC latency makes any sort of realtime audio processing completely impossible (unless, of course, drivers are uninstalled and the computer is rebooted, in which case audio processing works perfectly).

Any solutions or suggestions? Thanks!
This is my DPC latency with the NVIDIA drivers installed (tried the latest, the latest beta, a bunch of old drivers people were recommending in other threads, it's exactly the same with any of them):

There are no spikes, it's never in the green or yellow, in fact it consistently stays at this line forever.

This is my DPC latency with NVIDIA drivers uninstalled and using the default WinXP SP3 VGA driver:

As you can see, there are no problems, spikes, or any deviations whatsoever with no NVIDIA drivers installed.

What I've tried so far: fiddling with most BIOS settings, pulling out all other PCI cards, putting the graphics card into the 8x slot, disabling the USB on the motherboard, disabling the network/sound card on the motherboard, disabling pretty much everything on the motherboard, updating the BIOS, updating all motherboard-related drivers, pulling out all disks except the one with the current Windows installation, basically removing everything except the graphics card, doing the PowerMizer thing (even though it's not applicable to my system) and registry fixes, downclocking and overclocking with RivaTuner, and probably a few other things too.

The computer in question is a desktop with the Asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB motherboard, the graphics card in question is a Geforce 8800 GT. The DPC latency makes any sort of realtime audio processing completely impossible (unless, of course, drivers are uninstalled and the computer is rebooted, in which case audio processing works perfectly).

Posted 01/14/2012 01:00 PM   

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/122oz6r.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ihttub.jpg[/img]

Posted 01/14/2012 01:00 PM   
It may not be the Nvidia drivers' fault but a hardware/driver conflict from some other component of your PC which is interacting badly with the Nvidia drivers. Try doing what's suggested in your first screen capture: disable/re-enable various devices one at a time such as network adapter, wireless adapter, soundcard, USB controller, etc.
It may not be the Nvidia drivers' fault but a hardware/driver conflict from some other component of your PC which is interacting badly with the Nvidia drivers. Try doing what's suggested in your first screen capture: disable/re-enable various devices one at a time such as network adapter, wireless adapter, soundcard, USB controller, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 01/14/2012 04:03 PM   

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 01/14/2012 04:03 PM   
[color="#4169E1"]On my PC the DPC Latency values seen with the NVidia drivers installed is like the way your DPC Latency values are seen without the NVidia drivers installed.
Maybe take your PC into a computer shop or hire a private tech to come out and diagnose what is going on.[/color]
On my PC the DPC Latency values seen with the NVidia drivers installed is like the way your DPC Latency values are seen without the NVidia drivers installed.

Maybe take your PC into a computer shop or hire a private tech to come out and diagnose what is going on.

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 01/14/2012 04:11 PM   
[color="#4169E1"]On my PC the DPC Latency values seen with the NVidia drivers installed is like the way your DPC Latency values are seen without the NVidia drivers installed.
Maybe take your PC into a computer shop or hire a private tech to come out and diagnose what is going on.[/color]
On my PC the DPC Latency values seen with the NVidia drivers installed is like the way your DPC Latency values are seen without the NVidia drivers installed.

Maybe take your PC into a computer shop or hire a private tech to come out and diagnose what is going on.

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 01/14/2012 04:11 PM   
Could you attach a Microsoft/Sysinternals Autoruns.exe save file, so we can inspect what drivers your system has installed/loaded?
Could you attach a Microsoft/Sysinternals Autoruns.exe save file, so we can inspect what drivers your system has installed/loaded?

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 01/14/2012 08:55 PM   

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 01/14/2012 08:55 PM   
please use an application that does not INTRODUCE dpc latency.

latency mon for example.

latency mon for example.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 01/16/2012 05:47 AM   

latency mon for example.

latency mon for example.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 01/16/2012 05:47 AM   
VGA driver - the best driver. it is slow speed but no lag. Nvidia can not create such a driver:D
VGA driver - the best driver. it is slow speed but no lag. Nvidia can not create such a driver:D

Nvidia Quadro 600(GTX 460 sold) + AMD Radeon HD 7970

Core-i7 2600K 3.4Ghz

Asus IV GENE-Z

8GB

zr24w

win7 x64

Creative Titanium HD

Posted 01/16/2012 06:07 AM   

Nvidia Quadro 600(GTX 460 sold) + AMD Radeon HD 7970

Core-i7 2600K 3.4Ghz

Asus IV GENE-Z

8GB

zr24w

win7 x64

Creative Titanium HD

Posted 01/16/2012 06:07 AM   
[quote name='Sora' date='16 January 2012 - 05:47 AM' timestamp='1326692824' post='1356540']

latency mon for example.
[/quote]

[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/dzcpzc.png[/img]

Fresh install of Win7 and LatencyMon, as you can see this is with 275.33 drivers, as I was going back to try older drivers to see if anything would change (it didn't). The interesting thing is that the latency is exactly the same as in XP SP3.
[quote name='Sora' date='16 January 2012 - 05:47 AM' timestamp='1326692824' post='1356540']

latency mon for example.

Fresh install of Win7 and LatencyMon, as you can see this is with 275.33 drivers, as I was going back to try older drivers to see if anything would change (it didn't). The interesting thing is that the latency is exactly the same as in XP SP3.

Posted 01/16/2012 04:05 PM   
Try using the "High Performance"-setting in Control Panel -> Power Options. This disables several power saving features of CPU und mainboard. I had problems with DPC latency, too, but it was not as high as your's. When I set it to "Balanced" or "Power saver" I get very high spikes. I don't know if this setting is in any way connected to DPC latency caused by the graphics driver, but if you have no other idea you could just try it.
Try using the "High Performance"-setting in Control Panel -> Power Options. This disables several power saving features of CPU und mainboard. I had problems with DPC latency, too, but it was not as high as your's. When I set it to "Balanced" or "Power saver" I get very high spikes. I don't know if this setting is in any way connected to DPC latency caused by the graphics driver, but if you have no other idea you could just try it.

Posted 01/16/2012 10:50 PM   
[quote name='halcyon386' date='16 January 2012 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1326729959' post='1356709']

[/quote]

[color="#4169E1"]When you did your fresh install of Windows did you remember to install motherboard chipset drivers and reboot before any device drivers got installed (including those brought in by Windows Recommended Updates)?

See Intel Critical Installation Order http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-031891.htm[/color]
[quote name='halcyon386' date='16 January 2012 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1326729959' post='1356709']

When you did your fresh install of Windows did you remember to install motherboard chipset drivers and reboot before any device drivers got installed (including those brought in by Windows Recommended Updates)?

See Intel Critical Installation Order http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-031891.htm

Posted 01/16/2012 11:56 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top