Zotac GTX 560 - Freeze of death (Suggestions?) This also applies to gtx 9800.560 ti
I'll be short,

I Currently have Geforce GTX 560 installed with drivers 285.62
Main computer info: Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @2.50 GHz 2.50GHz, 6GB RAM, 64 BIT Operating system.

Problem(s): Two main problems: Black screen refresh. I'll be playing a game such as WoW or Skyrim and the screen will flash black and go back to normal claiming the display driver failed. The second problem... Sometimes it just completely freezes and I have to wait for it to recover or re start computer.

This isn't a new problem, I have been reading people's posts and trying things for almost a year. I have gone through almost 4 graphic cards now and don't believe the problem is the card themselves. I went through 3 GTX 9800 cards and now on a Geforce GTX 560. From reading forums many cards are having the same problem.

What I've tried: Anything from overclocking to under clocking, being more conservative with what I do, only high fan ect. I've watched MSI afterburner after a crash and nothing stands out. At first I thought it was a GPU spike.. But that is only for half the crashes. People post fan speed mine never goes over 60, hell rarely over 50 almost always between 36-42 C. It just happens at completely random times that are unexplainable...

Anyone tried anything weird or different? With it happening to allot of people it has to be something silly and simple? The only thing I haven't tried is Changing voltage but it wont unlock for GTX560 but I highly doubt that'd change anything.

EDIT: This problem happens while either playing a game or while watching Videos on youtube HOWEVER I have never had a problem with SWTOR.
I'll be short,

Main computer info: Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @2.50 GHz 2.50GHz, 6GB RAM, 64 BIT Operating system.

Problem(s): Two main problems: Black screen refresh. I'll be playing a game such as WoW or Skyrim and the screen will flash black and go back to normal claiming the display driver failed. The second problem... Sometimes it just completely freezes and I have to wait for it to recover or re start computer.

This isn't a new problem, I have been reading people's posts and trying things for almost a year. I have gone through almost 4 graphic cards now and don't believe the problem is the card themselves. I went through 3 GTX 9800 cards and now on a Geforce GTX 560. From reading forums many cards are having the same problem.

What I've tried: Anything from overclocking to under clocking, being more conservative with what I do, only high fan ect. I've watched MSI afterburner after a crash and nothing stands out. At first I thought it was a GPU spike.. But that is only for half the crashes. People post fan speed mine never goes over 60, hell rarely over 50 almost always between 36-42 C. It just happens at completely random times that are unexplainable...

Anyone tried anything weird or different? With it happening to allot of people it has to be something silly and simple? The only thing I haven't tried is Changing voltage but it wont unlock for GTX560 but I highly doubt that'd change anything.

EDIT: This problem happens while either playing a game or while watching Videos on youtube HOWEVER I have never had a problem with SWTOR.

Posted 01/13/2012 08:40 PM   
I'll be short,

I'll be short,

Posted 01/13/2012 08:40 PM   
Have you

-disabled hardware acceleration if Firefox (if Firefox is your browser of choice)?
-Tried fully, thoroughly removing your present drivers and letting your OS automatically install what it wants (which on Win7 64 was 275.33 last I checked)?
-tried beta driver 290.53?
Have you

-disabled hardware acceleration if Firefox (if Firefox is your browser of choice)?

-Tried fully, thoroughly removing your present drivers and letting your OS automatically install what it wants (which on Win7 64 was 275.33 last I checked)?

CPU: Phenom II X2 3.1 (550 Black)@ X4, 3.3GHz -- M/B: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

VID: MSI Nvidia GTX 560 1GB (N560GTX-M2D1GD5), stock -- OS: Win 7 64

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 @ 7-7-7-21(2x2GB Geil GV34GB1333C7DC & 2x2GB G. Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH)

PSU: Antec HCG-620 620W -- CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE 14

Case Cooling: Antec 300 Illusion w/ 2*120mm + 1*140mm in, 1*120mm + 1*140mm out + video & psu exhaust

Storage: 120GB SSD (system & SWTOR) + 2x Caviar Black 500GB in RAID 0 (data) -- Monitor: Dell U2412m

Posted 01/13/2012 09:35 PM   
Have you

Have you

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 @ 7-7-7-21(2x2GB Geil GV34GB1333C7DC & 2x2GB G. Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH)

Case Cooling: Antec 300 Illusion w/ 2*120mm + 1*140mm in, 1*120mm + 1*140mm out + video & psu exhaust

Storage: 120GB SSD (system & SWTOR) + 2x Caviar Black 500GB in RAID 0 (data) -- Monitor: Dell U2412m

Posted 01/13/2012 09:35 PM   
I don't use firefox. Would you say I should?
Yes I wiped all drivers and let it do its thing.
I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.

I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.

Posted 01/13/2012 10:21 PM   

Posted 01/13/2012 10:21 PM   
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']
I don't use firefox. Would you say I should?[/quote]
Nah, use whatever browser you like, I only mention it because HW acceleration in recent versions of Firefox and the 280.X+ drivers were not playing nice for me or a lot of people and causing hangs and hiccups. You mentioned crashes during youtube and many people keep a browser open while gaming, so that was just one guess.
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']Yes I wiped all drivers and let it do its thing.[/quote]
I assume this left you with a pre-280.x driver, but if it didn't, I'd try one from before the 280's.
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.[/quote]

Other shots in the dark, because that's all I've got:
-If you have onboard video, explicitly disable it in the bios.
-If your motherboard has a second PCIe slot, try it in there.

After four cards doing this, it's hard to think it's the card's fault at that point. If you've never done a fresh install of your operating system in all those cards, [b]and find yourself completely out of options[/b], consider a clean, sequential rebuild (Completely new OS installation -> latest motherboard chipset drivers-> Any OS updates -> the latest Nvidia drivers [i]if and only if at that point the default drivers without nvidia control panel or any extras are not operating acceptably[/i]).
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']

Nah, use whatever browser you like, I only mention it because HW acceleration in recent versions of Firefox and the 280.X+ drivers were not playing nice for me or a lot of people and causing hangs and hiccups. You mentioned crashes during youtube and many people keep a browser open while gaming, so that was just one guess.

[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']Yes I wiped all drivers and let it do its thing.

I assume this left you with a pre-280.x driver, but if it didn't, I'd try one from before the 280's.

[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.

After four cards doing this, it's hard to think it's the card's fault at that point. If you've never done a fresh install of your operating system in all those cards, and find yourself completely out of options, consider a clean, sequential rebuild (Completely new OS installation -> latest motherboard chipset drivers-> Any OS updates -> the latest Nvidia drivers if and only if at that point the default drivers without nvidia control panel or any extras are not operating acceptably).

Posted 01/13/2012 10:47 PM   
I don't use firefox. Would you say I should?[/quote]
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']Yes I wiped all drivers and let it do its thing.[/quote]
[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.[/quote]

After four cards doing this, it's hard to think it's the card's fault at that point. If you've never done a fresh install of your operating system in all those cards, [b]and find yourself completely out of options[/b], consider a clean, sequential rebuild (Completely new OS installation -> latest motherboard chipset drivers-> Any OS updates -> the latest Nvidia drivers [i]if and only if at that point the default drivers without nvidia control panel or any extras are not operating acceptably[/i]).

[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']Yes I wiped all drivers and let it do its thing.

[quote name='Comohawk' date='13 January 2012 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1326493317' post='1355661']I only tried those beta drivers on my 9800gtx. When I did so it made it worse to the point I couldn't even get my computer to do anything thats when I bought the 560 GTX havn't tried it yet however i'll do it now.

After four cards doing this, it's hard to think it's the card's fault at that point. If you've never done a fresh install of your operating system in all those cards, and find yourself completely out of options, consider a clean, sequential rebuild (Completely new OS installation -> latest motherboard chipset drivers-> Any OS updates -> the latest Nvidia drivers if and only if at that point the default drivers without nvidia control panel or any extras are not operating acceptably).

Posted 01/13/2012 10:47 PM   
[quote name='Phert' date='13 January 2012 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1326494856' post='1355668']

[/quote]

Man, I know how frustrating this is. I had the same issue, though with only 1 card, an HD6950 upgrade that would act like it was overheating,( the symptoms that the OP describes.) and nothing worked. BIOS updated, drivers cleaned out and re-installed, voltage tweaks, new PSU. But, when the repair tech stress-tested the card, it was fine, and so was the rest of the system, yet when I tried gaming, within 2 hours the "stopped, restarted" sequence would start happening again.

I would suggest that in addition to your suggestions, check out the RAM sticks. If one of them is acting up, it can lead to symptoms mimicking the GPU overheating. Great good luck.
[quote name='Phert' date='13 January 2012 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1326494856' post='1355668']

Man, I know how frustrating this is. I had the same issue, though with only 1 card, an HD6950 upgrade that would act like it was overheating,( the symptoms that the OP describes.) and nothing worked. BIOS updated, drivers cleaned out and re-installed, voltage tweaks, new PSU. But, when the repair tech stress-tested the card, it was fine, and so was the rest of the system, yet when I tried gaming, within 2 hours the "stopped, restarted" sequence would start happening again.

I would suggest that in addition to your suggestions, check out the RAM sticks. If one of them is acting up, it can lead to symptoms mimicking the GPU overheating. Great good luck.

i7-2600k @4.2ghz/EVGA GTX 780(stock and ACX cooling)/HAF 922 case/Gigabyte ga-z68a-d3h-b3 Mobo/Corsair-1050hx PSU/8gb 1600 ram/SAMSUNG 830 256gb w/1tb WD Black Veloc.HDD/Win7 x64/1440p

Posted 01/14/2012 12:43 AM   

[/quote]

i7-2600k @4.2ghz/EVGA GTX 780(stock and ACX cooling)/HAF 922 case/Gigabyte ga-z68a-d3h-b3 Mobo/Corsair-1050hx PSU/8gb 1600 ram/SAMSUNG 830 256gb w/1tb WD Black Veloc.HDD/Win7 x64/1440p

Posted 01/14/2012 12:43 AM   
Scroll To Top