Ending a Raid0 (stripe) without data loss?
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.
Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss? I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?

details:

2x 1Tb Samsung spinpoint in RAID0 / Striping
Using exclusively as datastorage for an FTP server, no OS or any other software installed on these disks.
It would be a shame having to re-download all those films, games and tv-shows :-)
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.

Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss? I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?

details:

Using exclusively as datastorage for an FTP server, no OS or any other software installed on these disks.

It would be a shame having to re-download all those films, games and tv-shows :-)

Posted 01/13/2012 12:49 PM   
Hello everyone,

details:

Hello everyone,

details:

Posted 01/13/2012 12:49 PM   
@ 0570:
Welcome at NVIDIA Forums!

[quote name='0570' date='13 January 2012 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1326458973' post='1355480']I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.[/quote]You will not be able to move an nForce RAID array to a system with another chipset.
If you want to continue using a RAID array and the RAID data with your new mainboard system, you should do the following:
1. Make a backup of your current RAID0 partitions and data by using a tool like Acronis True Image.
2. Enter the NVIDIA nForce RAID Utility and break the RAID array. The hhd's should become non-RAID ones.
3. Build your new system with the formerly RAID member hdd's.
4. Enter the BIOS and enable the "RAID" mode.
5. Enter the RAID Utility of your new system (by hitting Ctrl+I or similar)and create a new RAID0 array.
6. Boot off the Acronis TrueImage boot CD and restore your RAID partitions and data.

[quote]Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss?[/quote]No.
[quote]I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?[/quote]No, that is impossible.

Regards
Fernando
@ 0570:

[quote name='0570' date='13 January 2012 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1326458973' post='1355480']I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.You will not be able to move an nForce RAID array to a system with another chipset.

If you want to continue using a RAID array and the RAID data with your new mainboard system, you should do the following:

1. Make a backup of your current RAID0 partitions and data by using a tool like Acronis True Image.

2. Enter the NVIDIA nForce RAID Utility and break the RAID array. The hhd's should become non-RAID ones.

5. Enter the RAID Utility of your new system (by hitting Ctrl+I or similar)and create a new RAID0 array.

6. Boot off the Acronis TrueImage boot CD and restore your RAID partitions and data.

Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss?
No.

I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?
No, that is impossible.

Regards

Fernando

Posted 01/13/2012 03:12 PM   
@ 0570:

[quote name='0570' date='13 January 2012 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1326458973' post='1355480']I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.[/quote]You will not be able to move an nForce RAID array to a system with another chipset.

[quote]Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss?[/quote]No.
[quote]I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?[/quote]No, that is impossible.

Regards
Fernando
@ 0570:

[quote name='0570' date='13 January 2012 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1326458973' post='1355480']I've recently bought a new non-nvidia motherboard and I wish to move my Raid0/Stripe to that new motherboard.You will not be able to move an nForce RAID array to a system with another chipset.

Is it possible to end or stop a raid0/striping without data-loss?
No.

I'm convinced there would be some way to neatly divide the data over one or both disks?
No, that is impossible.

Regards

Fernando

Posted 01/13/2012 03:12 PM   
HDD have become abit more expensive, but I would still;
buy a 2TB drive,
copy the raid0-disks' content over to the new drive,
and just wipe the old disks and use them clean in the new system.

It is easy and I would bet alot safer then doing raid partition backups (?)

Btw I have read about software that can take two disks used in raid and just make them usable through software-raid (perhaps like RAID Reconstructor http://www.runtime.org/)

I am also curious how I would be able to use my raid0-disks when or if my computer would work no more (Old motherboard KIA)

Let us know what you end up doing! :-)
HDD have become abit more expensive, but I would still;

buy a 2TB drive,

copy the raid0-disks' content over to the new drive,

and just wipe the old disks and use them clean in the new system.

It is easy and I would bet alot safer then doing raid partition backups (?)

Btw I have read about software that can take two disks used in raid and just make them usable through software-raid (perhaps like RAID Reconstructor http://www.runtime.org/)

I am also curious how I would be able to use my raid0-disks when or if my computer would work no more (Old motherboard KIA)

Let us know what you end up doing! :-)

Posted 01/20/2012 03:41 AM   
Scroll To Top