Will a Phys-X card affect the bandwith of primary card?
Hi,Ive been using Phys-X for a long time.Sure not many games use it, but, when its there and I have and it its nice.

Im building a new build with income tax.I just want to know this.I know motherboards will show 16x for one card and 8x 8x for two cards.So,if I put a Phys-X card in the second slot does it make the first slot 8x? I would think so but,its not running in SLI,thats why I ask.And if it does make the first slot with the primary card at 8x.Are we even using than 8x up yet? I dont want to bottleneck my new card.Its a GTX 580/with SB CPU.And I dont wanna hear my new combo build here will be fine without a Phys-X card.I have a GTX 280 that Im pulling out of my current build.(in my tag below)And I always go big with a PSU.I like knowing I have that Phys-X there when I can use it.But,If the primary card will run at 8x and ACTUALLY slow the primary card then its not worth it to me.I want my first card at its full potential.Cause I dont run SLI anymore.Thanks :)

[url=http://profile.xfire.com/drakaun][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/1/drakaun.png[/img][/url]
Hi,Ive been using Phys-X for a long time.Sure not many games use it, but, when its there and I have and it its nice.

Im building a new build with income tax.I just want to know this.I know motherboards will show 16x for one card and 8x 8x for two cards.So,if I put a Phys-X card in the second slot does it make the first slot 8x? I would think so but,its not running in SLI,thats why I ask.And if it does make the first slot with the primary card at 8x.Are we even using than 8x up yet? I dont want to bottleneck my new card.Its a GTX 580/with SB CPU.And I dont wanna hear my new combo build here will be fine without a Phys-X card.I have a GTX 280 that Im pulling out of my current build.(in my tag below)And I always go big with a PSU.I like knowing I have that Phys-X there when I can use it.But,If the primary card will run at 8x and ACTUALLY slow the primary card then its not worth it to me.I want my first card at its full potential.Cause I dont run SLI anymore.Thanks :)

Posted 01/11/2012 09:28 PM   

[url=http://profile.xfire.com/drakaun][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/1/drakaun.png[/img][/url]

Posted 01/11/2012 09:28 PM   
It very much depends on the motherboard.

If the one you are looking at says that it runs SLI / Xfire in 8x/8x mode, then yes, the PhysX card will cause the primary card to half its bandwidth.

On another note, 8x bandwidth has basically no effect on cards (<10%) compared to 16x on newer PCI-e slots (2.0 / 3.0)

If the one you are looking at says that it runs SLI / Xfire in 8x/8x mode, then yes, the PhysX card will cause the primary card to half its bandwidth.

On another note, 8x bandwidth has basically no effect on cards (<10%) compared to 16x on newer PCI-e slots (2.0 / 3.0)

Ahh,Thanks! So I'll throw one in there then.

Also,I use to run SLI back when 8800 GTX's were hot and then I got 2 GTX 280's the last time.I got so frustrated with drivers coming out for SLI for newer games and having to make my own profiles with nHancer,that I actually pulled out the 2nd GTX 280 and said the hell with it! Now I have a single GTX 470.My new build is being built just in case I ever go SLI again.So,how is SLI now?I mean has nVdia got on the ball with releasing drivers for SLI faster? Just for future reference.Im getting a 3-way board and 1200 PSU so I will be covered.Cause if I ever went SLI again Id likely do it for 3-D gaming if that ever becomes mainstream.Beings it halfs your FPS.

Also,I use to run SLI back when 8800 GTX's were hot and then I got 2 GTX 280's the last time.I got so frustrated with drivers coming out for SLI for newer games and having to make my own profiles with nHancer,that I actually pulled out the 2nd GTX 280 and said the hell with it! Now I have a single GTX 470.My new build is being built just in case I ever go SLI again.So,how is SLI now?I mean has nVdia got on the ball with releasing drivers for SLI faster? Just for future reference.Im getting a 3-way board and 1200 PSU so I will be covered.Cause if I ever went SLI again Id likely do it for 3-D gaming if that ever becomes mainstream.Beings it halfs your FPS.

Posted 01/12/2012 06:10 AM   

Posted 01/12/2012 06:10 AM   
[quote name='Drake_SLI' date='12 January 2012 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1326348634' post='1354944']

[/quote]

It's kicking ass and taking names.
[quote name='Drake_SLI' date='12 January 2012 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1326348634' post='1354944']

Done.

Posted 01/12/2012 06:12 AM   

[/quote]

Done.

Posted 01/12/2012 06:12 AM   
Scroll To Top