NVIDIA display driver has stopped responding NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550TI
Hi.
Every few minutes, my screen goes black and comes back, following with the message 'The NVIDIA display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.' I have updated to the latest driver from NVIDIA, latest BIOS update, still the constant annoying error. My computer specs are:

Intel Core i7 2600k @3.4GHz OC'd 3.8GHz Liquid Cooled
16GB DDR3 Cosair RAM
750 Watt PSU
64GB Crucial SSD with Windows 7 Home Premium
2TB Western Digital HDD@ SATAIII 6.0GB/s for my programs and documents that my SSD can't hold
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550TI manufactured by MSI

I'm sure the card isn't overheating as the computer has 6 case fans and the CPU is liquid cooled /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
No love during gaming either. BSOD'd during Minecraft, froze several times during Grand Theft Auto IV, black screen on Portal 2, ugh.

Any remedies?
Hi.

Every few minutes, my screen goes black and comes back, following with the message 'The NVIDIA display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.' I have updated to the latest driver from NVIDIA, latest BIOS update, still the constant annoying error. My computer specs are:

Intel Core i7 2600k @3.4GHz OC'd 3.8GHz Liquid Cooled

16GB DDR3 Cosair RAM

750 Watt PSU

64GB Crucial SSD with Windows 7 Home Premium

2TB Western Digital HDD@ SATAIII 6.0GB/s for my programs and documents that my SSD can't hold

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550TI manufactured by MSI

I'm sure the card isn't overheating as the computer has 6 case fans and the CPU is liquid cooled /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

No love during gaming either. BSOD'd during Minecraft, froze several times during Grand Theft Auto IV, black screen on Portal 2, ugh.

Any remedies?

Posted 01/09/2012 03:41 AM   
Is this a recent development ? How old is the machine ?

Which drivers ? The latest three sets of drivers are all still in BETA. Try the WHQL drivers - 285.62 or even the 275.33 which still serve me well with over 100 games installed.
Always read the release notes, even on WHQL drivers to see if they apply to your games and system ie. - SLI , 3D, etc.
When you install drivers don't install 'features' (Nvidia HD audio, 3D) that you will not use.

RE - temps. The only way you can know is if you use a temp monitor. If something is wrong it does not matter how many case fans you have,
and a H20 cooled cpu is irrelevant to the gpu.

OC's can also cause problems with some games. You don't really need that extra .4GHz on the cpu anyway. Especially as you are not using a powerful gpu.

RE - BIOS. Are you using default settings for the RAM and cpu ? If not try resetting to default.
1333MHz is the native speed of the cpu's memory controller and using either 1333 or 1066MHz with your RAM will be the most stable.
You will not see any real world performance boost with higher RAM speeds anyway.

GTA4 - You've keep the in game graphics settings in the green ?

Which drivers ? The latest three sets of drivers are all still in BETA. Try the WHQL drivers - 285.62 or even the 275.33 which still serve me well with over 100 games installed.

Always read the release notes, even on WHQL drivers to see if they apply to your games and system ie. - SLI , 3D, etc.

When you install drivers don't install 'features' (Nvidia HD audio, 3D) that you will not use.

RE - temps. The only way you can know is if you use a temp monitor. If something is wrong it does not matter how many case fans you have,

OC's can also cause problems with some games. You don't really need that extra .4GHz on the cpu anyway. Especially as you are not using a powerful gpu.

RE - BIOS. Are you using default settings for the RAM and cpu ? If not try resetting to default.

1333MHz is the native speed of the cpu's memory controller and using either 1333 or 1066MHz with your RAM will be the most stable.

You will not see any real world performance boost with higher RAM speeds anyway.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 01/09/2012 04:40 AM   
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='08 January 2012 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1326084024' post='1353510']

[/quote]

I am running the 285.62 update, unOCing doesn't make a difference in the crashing, but I plan on OCing to 4.1 or 4.2GHz. The machine is a few weeks old because its replacing my old Pentium D 915 and NVIDIA Geforce 9500GT. In GTA4, the settings are in the green. I believe 500-700MB, I cannot remember. Speedfan says everything is idling at about 30 degrees Celsius. When I get the money, I'll get myself a GTX 590, but that won't happen for a while, so might as well make what I got work.
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='08 January 2012 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1326084024' post='1353510']

I am running the 285.62 update, unOCing doesn't make a difference in the crashing, but I plan on OCing to 4.1 or 4.2GHz. The machine is a few weeks old because its replacing my old Pentium D 915 and NVIDIA Geforce 9500GT. In GTA4, the settings are in the green. I believe 500-700MB, I cannot remember. Speedfan says everything is idling at about 30 degrees Celsius. When I get the money, I'll get myself a GTX 590, but that won't happen for a while, so might as well make what I got work.

Posted 01/09/2012 05:38 AM   
Make a clean uninstall of the 28x drivers reboot. Install 275.33. In case the 275.33 installer gives you an error message uninstall the drivers again, download [url="http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/"]Driver Sweeper[/url] remove any remains of nVidia graphics/physix/3D Vision drivers with Driver Sweeper. Reboot and try to install 275.33 again.

If that works, don't upgrade to any newer driver until nVidia gives an all clear for the TDR issues.
Make a clean uninstall of the 28x drivers reboot. Install 275.33. In case the 275.33 installer gives you an error message uninstall the drivers again, download Driver Sweeper remove any remains of nVidia graphics/physix/3D Vision drivers with Driver Sweeper. Reboot and try to install 275.33 again.

If that works, don't upgrade to any newer driver until nVidia gives an all clear for the TDR issues.

System 1: Intel Core i7-3770k, MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751), 32GB Corsair CML32GX3M4A1600C10, OCZ Agility 4 128GB, OCZ Agility 4 512GB, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3, Gainward 560 GTX Ti Phantom (2GB), Cougar GX G600 (PSU), Win7 Pro 64Bit
----
System 2: Intel Core i7 875k, Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, 6GB Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1333C9, 1x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black, Gainward 460 GTX Golden Sample (2GB), Corsair 650HX (PSU), Win7 Home Premium 64Bit

Posted 01/09/2012 05:54 AM   
Scroll To Top