Please add Quadro and Tesla Sections Self-Explanatory
Adding a Quadro section and a Tesla section would make this forum go slightly smoother.

I have just one question though; Why are Tesla and Quadro Cards so expensive? And why can't you make a single Graphics Card that combines Professional and Consumer Graphics?
Adding a Quadro section and a Tesla section would make this forum go slightly smoother.

I have just one question though; Why are Tesla and Quadro Cards so expensive? And why can't you make a single Graphics Card that combines Professional and Consumer Graphics?

Oh, it feels so right to dream under the stars
Where a part of me is free to roam where I belong!

Posted 01/08/2012 04:56 AM   
We don't see sufficient traffic on those GPUs to make yet another subsection to forums.nvidia.com. The bulk of forums.nvidia.com are the GeForce Forums, where a Tesla and Quadro section wouldn't make sense.

Amorphous

[quote name='Amaroq Dricaldari' date='07 January 2012 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1325998578' post='1353160']

[/quote]
We don't see sufficient traffic on those GPUs to make yet another subsection to forums.nvidia.com. The bulk of forums.nvidia.com are the GeForce Forums, where a Tesla and Quadro section wouldn't make sense.

Amorphous

[quote name='Amaroq Dricaldari' date='07 January 2012 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1325998578' post='1353160']

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 02/23/2012 11:42 PM   
Most of them are as expensive as they are because of the massive amount of vRAM on board. The more dense chips cost more money, leading to a higher cost of the card. Think about it this way, most consumer/gaming graphics cards have 256MB chips of vRAM on board, adding up to the necessary amount depending on the card. This means a GTX 580 1.5GB has 6 chips on it if I remember correctly... I don't know if you've seen a GTX 580 PCB, but they're pretty full as a result, even fuller are the 3GB versions.

Now imagine how crammed a Tesla/Quadro card would be with the same smaller-sized vRAM chips on board. Wouldn't fit... as a result, the 4GB+ cards have higher density chips, resulting in higher cost. Make sense? *shrug*
Most of them are as expensive as they are because of the massive amount of vRAM on board. The more dense chips cost more money, leading to a higher cost of the card. Think about it this way, most consumer/gaming graphics cards have 256MB chips of vRAM on board, adding up to the necessary amount depending on the card. This means a GTX 580 1.5GB has 6 chips on it if I remember correctly... I don't know if you've seen a GTX 580 PCB, but they're pretty full as a result, even fuller are the 3GB versions.

Now imagine how crammed a Tesla/Quadro card would be with the same smaller-sized vRAM chips on board. Wouldn't fit... as a result, the 4GB+ cards have higher density chips, resulting in higher cost. Make sense? *shrug*

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.2GHz 1.21V ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB @ 2133MHz, 9-11-10-28-2T 1.65V)
GPUs: 1x R9 280X Vapor-X (Games/F@H), 1x R9 290 Core Edition (F@H), 1x R9 290X Core Edition (F@H)
PSU: LEPA G 1600W (Hate it, don't buy it) ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
SSDs/HDDs: Corsair Force3 240GB, Corsair Force3 90GB, 1x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate ~ Display: Sony Bravia 52" LED LCD HDTV
Laptops: Alienware M18x (2013, GTX 560M SLi) & Alienware M14x (2014, GTX 765M)

Posted 02/24/2012 09:09 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1330074587' post='1374269']

[/quote]

Note of course that not only is there a lot of memory on some of the cards (i.e. 6GB on the Quadro 6000), but it is also ECC memory - something which adds a substantial portion of cost on its own.

J
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1330074587' post='1374269']

Note of course that not only is there a lot of memory on some of the cards (i.e. 6GB on the Quadro 6000), but it is also ECC memory - something which adds a substantial portion of cost on its own.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x GTX Titan X, 1x GTX 750 Ti, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 10 64bit.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor, Logitech G9X mouse, Corsair Vengeance keyboard.

Feel free to PM me if I don't follow-up on a thread that I have responded to.

Community Moderator - not employed by NVIDIA.

Posted 02/24/2012 09:38 AM   
So, where do we Quadro users go? I have a Quadro 4000 and I am looking for a diagnostic utility. Either my card has a problem or my MoBo. nVidia doesn't seem to have any direct support, and I bought my card at B&H and they don't offer nVidia support.
So, where do we Quadro users go? I have a Quadro 4000 and I am looking for a diagnostic utility. Either my card has a problem or my MoBo. nVidia doesn't seem to have any direct support, and I bought my card at B&H and they don't offer nVidia support.

Posted 02/27/2012 02:31 PM   
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Support will come from the part's manufacturer.

Given that B&H only seems to only sell PNY Quadro GPUs, that's most likely your support target. Here's their support number/site list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html#aic_pny

Amorphous

[quote name='geoffreyweglarz' date='27 February 2012 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1330353085' post='1375722']
[/quote]
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Support will come from the part's manufacturer.

Given that B&H only seems to only sell PNY Quadro GPUs, that's most likely your support target. Here's their support number/site list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html#aic_pny

Amorphous

[quote name='geoffreyweglarz' date='27 February 2012 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1330353085' post='1375722']

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 03/07/2012 12:43 AM   
Scroll To Top