Please add Quadro and Tesla Sections Self-Explanatory
Adding a Quadro section and a Tesla section would make this forum go slightly smoother.

I have just one question though; Why are Tesla and Quadro Cards so expensive? And why can't you make a single Graphics Card that combines Professional and Consumer Graphics?
Adding a Quadro section and a Tesla section would make this forum go slightly smoother.

I have just one question though; Why are Tesla and Quadro Cards so expensive? And why can't you make a single Graphics Card that combines Professional and Consumer Graphics?

Oh, it feels so right to dream under the stars
Where a part of me is free to roam where I belong!

Posted 01/08/2012 04:56 AM   
We don't see sufficient traffic on those GPUs to make yet another subsection to forums.nvidia.com. The bulk of forums.nvidia.com are the GeForce Forums, where a Tesla and Quadro section wouldn't make sense.

Amorphous

[quote name='Amaroq Dricaldari' date='07 January 2012 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1325998578' post='1353160']

[/quote]
We don't see sufficient traffic on those GPUs to make yet another subsection to forums.nvidia.com. The bulk of forums.nvidia.com are the GeForce Forums, where a Tesla and Quadro section wouldn't make sense.

Amorphous

[quote name='Amaroq Dricaldari' date='07 January 2012 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1325998578' post='1353160']

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 02/23/2012 11:42 PM   
Most of them are as expensive as they are because of the massive amount of vRAM on board. The more dense chips cost more money, leading to a higher cost of the card. Think about it this way, most consumer/gaming graphics cards have 256MB chips of vRAM on board, adding up to the necessary amount depending on the card. This means a GTX 580 1.5GB has 6 chips on it if I remember correctly... I don't know if you've seen a GTX 580 PCB, but they're pretty full as a result, even fuller are the 3GB versions.

Now imagine how crammed a Tesla/Quadro card would be with the same smaller-sized vRAM chips on board. Wouldn't fit... as a result, the 4GB+ cards have higher density chips, resulting in higher cost. Make sense? *shrug*
Most of them are as expensive as they are because of the massive amount of vRAM on board. The more dense chips cost more money, leading to a higher cost of the card. Think about it this way, most consumer/gaming graphics cards have 256MB chips of vRAM on board, adding up to the necessary amount depending on the card. This means a GTX 580 1.5GB has 6 chips on it if I remember correctly... I don't know if you've seen a GTX 580 PCB, but they're pretty full as a result, even fuller are the 3GB versions.

Now imagine how crammed a Tesla/Quadro card would be with the same smaller-sized vRAM chips on board. Wouldn't fit... as a result, the 4GB+ cards have higher density chips, resulting in higher cost. Make sense? *shrug*

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/24/2012 09:09 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1330074587' post='1374269']

[/quote]

Note of course that not only is there a lot of memory on some of the cards (i.e. 6GB on the Quadro 6000), but it is also ECC memory - something which adds a substantial portion of cost on its own.

J
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1330074587' post='1374269']

Note of course that not only is there a lot of memory on some of the cards (i.e. 6GB on the Quadro 6000), but it is also ECC memory - something which adds a substantial portion of cost on its own.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 02/24/2012 09:38 AM   
So, where do we Quadro users go? I have a Quadro 4000 and I am looking for a diagnostic utility. Either my card has a problem or my MoBo. nVidia doesn't seem to have any direct support, and I bought my card at B&H and they don't offer nVidia support.
So, where do we Quadro users go? I have a Quadro 4000 and I am looking for a diagnostic utility. Either my card has a problem or my MoBo. nVidia doesn't seem to have any direct support, and I bought my card at B&H and they don't offer nVidia support.

Posted 02/27/2012 02:31 PM   
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Support will come from the part's manufacturer.

Given that B&H only seems to only sell PNY Quadro GPUs, that's most likely your support target. Here's their support number/site list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html#aic_pny

Amorphous

[quote name='geoffreyweglarz' date='27 February 2012 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1330353085' post='1375722']
[/quote]
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Support will come from the part's manufacturer.

Given that B&H only seems to only sell PNY Quadro GPUs, that's most likely your support target. Here's their support number/site list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html#aic_pny

Amorphous

[quote name='geoffreyweglarz' date='27 February 2012 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1330353085' post='1375722']

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 03/07/2012 12:43 AM   
Scroll To Top