DVI to Displayport? Can it be done?
Hello,
Im new here and I have already ordered a Samsung S23A750D 3D monitor. My question is Can I connect an adapter cable DVI to Displayport from my DVI connector on my GTX460 to the displayport on the monitor? Do these cables work in both directions? My card also has a mini HDMI connector where I know I can go Mini HDMI to HDMI on the monitor. According to the monitor specs full 120Hz is only available via the displayport. My ideal connection would be DVI to displayport. Does anyone here have a similar setup? Or know if it would work? Recommendations are all welcome. And thanks in advance for your help!
Hello,

Im new here and I have already ordered a Samsung S23A750D 3D monitor. My question is Can I connect an adapter cable DVI to Displayport from my DVI connector on my GTX460 to the displayport on the monitor? Do these cables work in both directions? My card also has a mini HDMI connector where I know I can go Mini HDMI to HDMI on the monitor. According to the monitor specs full 120Hz is only available via the displayport. My ideal connection would be DVI to displayport. Does anyone here have a similar setup? Or know if it would work? Recommendations are all welcome. And thanks in advance for your help!

i5 2500K @ 4.5 Turbo, Asus P8Z68-V LX, 8gig Corsair Vengeance, NV GTX460, Corsair Hydrocool 200, Coolermaster Storm Case, Thermaltake 750 watt PSU.

Posted 01/04/2012 06:31 PM   
This is possible, but you'll need a pricey active dual link DVI to DP port adapter. [url="http://www.amazon.com/AT-DP400-Displayport-Converter-Designed-Convert/dp/B003CWEXWO"][b]This one[/b][/url] will work for both Mac's and PC's. I've heard good things about it. Amazon has a good price on this now, as it's $199 at most online retailers.

Note that you'll also need a mDP to DP cable, like [url="http://www.provantage.com/atlona-at13021-2~7ATLO00F.htm"][b]this[/b][/url]. This will be the cable that connects your monitor to the active adapter.

Blame Samsung for this one. They should have supported HDMI 1.4, or bundled an active adapter with the monitor.
This is possible, but you'll need a pricey active dual link DVI to DP port adapter. This one will work for both Mac's and PC's. I've heard good things about it. Amazon has a good price on this now, as it's $199 at most online retailers.

Note that you'll also need a mDP to DP cable, like this. This will be the cable that connects your monitor to the active adapter.

Blame Samsung for this one. They should have supported HDMI 1.4, or bundled an active adapter with the monitor.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 01/04/2012 07:32 PM   
Ive discovered a workaround. I lost the page but somewhere I read that I can use Nvidia 3DPlay via an approved A/V receiver. Ill have to use my DVI to HDMI cable to input to the Yamaha RX-V367 and output HDMI to the monitor from there. Or after some time reading the online PDF file on the monitor I could go straight from the card to the monitor via HDMI and the 3d software gives you an option to go displayport or HDMI, HDMI resulting in 3D that is 960X1080 in 3D mode. After even further reading this monitor is pretty smart and is a bad ass because it does its own 3D conversions within the monitor itself and has a totally different shutter approach vs Nvidia. Also some company politics may have set the two companies technically against each other. But I suppose the truth will be in the pudding when I get the monitor UPS and experiment with the different ways to get my signal in. Tomorrow Im going to pick up that Yamaha amp at a scratch n dent outlet for a mere $59.00! Its a $250 100 watt per channel unit. New in the box. I guess it wont hurt because it works in another piece of my ultimate PC/TV/Surround setup. Later Ill upgrade my 47" LG TV to maybe a 3D Sony 55" or a Samsung? And use 3D Play on both?
I looked at the items that you had posted and they look pretty good. Thanks for taking the time to reply and set up the links! Totally cool of you. Thanks Slamscaper!
So in summary I look like I have 3 options here. The one you suggested, the bundled software that comes with the monitor, or 3D Play from Nvidia to the monitor via an amplifier in order to enable the 3D play. Im getting ahead of myself and I cant wait to unbox my monitor when it arrives. I will continue to post on this thread about my experiences with my GTX460 and the Samsung S23A750D monitor when I get it and let you know my review on this whole deal. I am confident that one way or another this will turn out to be a good experience. And solutions to differing technologies that will come together as a kick ass gaming setup. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
Ive discovered a workaround. I lost the page but somewhere I read that I can use Nvidia 3DPlay via an approved A/V receiver. Ill have to use my DVI to HDMI cable to input to the Yamaha RX-V367 and output HDMI to the monitor from there. Or after some time reading the online PDF file on the monitor I could go straight from the card to the monitor via HDMI and the 3d software gives you an option to go displayport or HDMI, HDMI resulting in 3D that is 960X1080 in 3D mode. After even further reading this monitor is pretty smart and is a bad ass because it does its own 3D conversions within the monitor itself and has a totally different shutter approach vs Nvidia. Also some company politics may have set the two companies technically against each other. But I suppose the truth will be in the pudding when I get the monitor UPS and experiment with the different ways to get my signal in. Tomorrow Im going to pick up that Yamaha amp at a scratch n dent outlet for a mere $59.00! Its a $250 100 watt per channel unit. New in the box. I guess it wont hurt because it works in another piece of my ultimate PC/TV/Surround setup. Later Ill upgrade my 47" LG TV to maybe a 3D Sony 55" or a Samsung? And use 3D Play on both?

I looked at the items that you had posted and they look pretty good. Thanks for taking the time to reply and set up the links! Totally cool of you. Thanks Slamscaper!

So in summary I look like I have 3 options here. The one you suggested, the bundled software that comes with the monitor, or 3D Play from Nvidia to the monitor via an amplifier in order to enable the 3D play. Im getting ahead of myself and I cant wait to unbox my monitor when it arrives. I will continue to post on this thread about my experiences with my GTX460 and the Samsung S23A750D monitor when I get it and let you know my review on this whole deal. I am confident that one way or another this will turn out to be a good experience. And solutions to differing technologies that will come together as a kick ass gaming setup. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

i5 2500K @ 4.5 Turbo, Asus P8Z68-V LX, 8gig Corsair Vengeance, NV GTX460, Corsair Hydrocool 200, Coolermaster Storm Case, Thermaltake 750 watt PSU.

Posted 01/05/2012 06:10 AM   
Cool, definitely follow up to let us know how it goes. I wasn't aware of these workarounds, so lets just say I'm intrigued.
Cool, definitely follow up to let us know how it goes. I wasn't aware of these workarounds, so lets just say I'm intrigued.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 01/05/2012 06:42 AM   
UPS Tracking says it will arrive by end of biz day 1-6-12 so to say the least I am very Jazzed! Went to the outlet store to see about the Yamaha A/V Receiver and the 3 $59 units were gone! I bought the RX-V371 at my lunch break for $169+Tax and after work hooked it up to see how well it performed. It sounded great but since I already own an older HTR-5150 that really gets the job done better than well. I chose to return it after trying it out. Must say the Yamaha amps are kick ass and my observation is they really dont vary all that much. The unit Ive had for about 10 yrs now is rock solid and comparable to the $600 todays version. Only the modern versions have HDMI and a graphical user interface that is cool. Other than that my old unit really does sound just as good if not cleaner and dosnt justify me spending the extra money for a new unit. Can be seen on the Yamaha's website under discontinued items. So that money could be better spent on an even better video card that has a displayport on the back. Thus leaving me with the task of selling my 1 month old EVGA GTX460 Superclocked version card. The plot thinckens...More to come tomorrow. /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
UPS Tracking says it will arrive by end of biz day 1-6-12 so to say the least I am very Jazzed! Went to the outlet store to see about the Yamaha A/V Receiver and the 3 $59 units were gone! I bought the RX-V371 at my lunch break for $169+Tax and after work hooked it up to see how well it performed. It sounded great but since I already own an older HTR-5150 that really gets the job done better than well. I chose to return it after trying it out. Must say the Yamaha amps are kick ass and my observation is they really dont vary all that much. The unit Ive had for about 10 yrs now is rock solid and comparable to the $600 todays version. Only the modern versions have HDMI and a graphical user interface that is cool. Other than that my old unit really does sound just as good if not cleaner and dosnt justify me spending the extra money for a new unit. Can be seen on the Yamaha's website under discontinued items. So that money could be better spent on an even better video card that has a displayport on the back. Thus leaving me with the task of selling my 1 month old EVGA GTX460 Superclocked version card. The plot thinckens...More to come tomorrow. /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

Posted 01/06/2012 05:29 AM   
Pics of my PC I built at Christmas time.
Pics of my PC I built at Christmas time.

Posted 01/06/2012 05:46 AM   
/w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' /> My monitor arrived today! Yeah! What a beautiful piece of equipment! Makes the LG 23" I am returning look like a cheap toy. The Samsung is quality all the way and very classy looking. It matches my desk too. As my desk is black glass and chrome framework. The monitors chrome base with black bezel mixes right in so sweet.
OK enough with the look of it. The picture is amazing and the colors are vibrant and accurate. The 3D works excellent without any ghosting. Granted I am hooked up DVI-HDMI so Im only getting 60Hz. And after falling in love with this thing. Im gonna have to bite the bullet and get another Video card, one with a displayport outlet. The monitor comes with the display cable approx. 4 ft in length. My Asus mainboard only supports ATI Crossfire. So it would make sense for me to buy ATI. But that is a choice that I haven't made yet. Considering cost and effectiveness. It makes sense to simply sell my current card and buy an even better one with the needed displayport connection. Most newer Nvidia cards now have it. And I dont think I am going to go with Crossfire or SLI if I could because I feel that a high end single graphics card is enough for me. I love the GTX460 Im using now. And instead of trying to rig something just to make use of my current card. That money would be best spent on upgrading to the next level. So I will be shopping for a good deal on the right card for my system.
The Samsung shutter glasses work so much better than passive glasses and shutter is really the only way to go. I feel Samsung has done a good thing designing the glasses to work with the monitor via an RF signal. And the tech of staying mostly light and only dark to block the the eye is the opposite approach when compared to Nvidia 3D Vision. These glasses allow more light more of the time, thus no need for a 400 nit Asus monitor to keep things bright enough. I like my new monitor so much that buying the needed video card to make it work at 120Hz 3D dosnt bother me so much. I can Ebay my one month old GTX460 and get my money back. I wish I had known all of this from the beginning because it would have been so nice and easy to set up and do that way! After reading up on displayport it seems that it is a new standard for graphics and we will be seeing it even more so than HDMI in the future. Or maybe the future is already here...The saga continues! /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />
/w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' /> My monitor arrived today! Yeah! What a beautiful piece of equipment! Makes the LG 23" I am returning look like a cheap toy. The Samsung is quality all the way and very classy looking. It matches my desk too. As my desk is black glass and chrome framework. The monitors chrome base with black bezel mixes right in so sweet.

OK enough with the look of it. The picture is amazing and the colors are vibrant and accurate. The 3D works excellent without any ghosting. Granted I am hooked up DVI-HDMI so Im only getting 60Hz. And after falling in love with this thing. Im gonna have to bite the bullet and get another Video card, one with a displayport outlet. The monitor comes with the display cable approx. 4 ft in length. My Asus mainboard only supports ATI Crossfire. So it would make sense for me to buy ATI. But that is a choice that I haven't made yet. Considering cost and effectiveness. It makes sense to simply sell my current card and buy an even better one with the needed displayport connection. Most newer Nvidia cards now have it. And I dont think I am going to go with Crossfire or SLI if I could because I feel that a high end single graphics card is enough for me. I love the GTX460 Im using now. And instead of trying to rig something just to make use of my current card. That money would be best spent on upgrading to the next level. So I will be shopping for a good deal on the right card for my system.

The Samsung shutter glasses work so much better than passive glasses and shutter is really the only way to go. I feel Samsung has done a good thing designing the glasses to work with the monitor via an RF signal. And the tech of staying mostly light and only dark to block the the eye is the opposite approach when compared to Nvidia 3D Vision. These glasses allow more light more of the time, thus no need for a 400 nit Asus monitor to keep things bright enough. I like my new monitor so much that buying the needed video card to make it work at 120Hz 3D dosnt bother me so much. I can Ebay my one month old GTX460 and get my money back. I wish I had known all of this from the beginning because it would have been so nice and easy to set up and do that way! After reading up on displayport it seems that it is a new standard for graphics and we will be seeing it even more so than HDMI in the future. Or maybe the future is already here...The saga continues! /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Posted 01/07/2012 04:51 PM   
Displayport has been around for a long while. My old Dell u2408 monitor has a DP port, and it was released in Q1 2008.

Only now is DP becoming useful though, as the extra bandwidth it provides can support higher resolutions\refresh rates. A single DP 1.2 interface can drive four 2560 x 1600 monitors at 120Hz! Granted, their aren't any 1600p monitors that support 120Hz refresh rates, but it's nice to know DP 1.2 can handle them when they are released.

Glad you're happy with your new display. I tend to buy Samsung's products as they are almost always of a high quality. I have a Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV and it provides excellent image quality despite the fact that it's not a high-end model. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and it's simply amazing. It's arguably the best smartphone on the market.
Displayport has been around for a long while. My old Dell u2408 monitor has a DP port, and it was released in Q1 2008.

Only now is DP becoming useful though, as the extra bandwidth it provides can support higher resolutions\refresh rates. A single DP 1.2 interface can drive four 2560 x 1600 monitors at 120Hz! Granted, their aren't any 1600p monitors that support 120Hz refresh rates, but it's nice to know DP 1.2 can handle them when they are released.

Glad you're happy with your new display. I tend to buy Samsung's products as they are almost always of a high quality. I have a Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV and it provides excellent image quality despite the fact that it's not a high-end model. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and it's simply amazing. It's arguably the best smartphone on the market.

Posted 01/08/2012 03:32 AM   
Well went last night to CompUSA and returned the LG monitor the Samsung replaced. Looked over the available graphics cards in my price category. Looked for a mini displayport to displayport cable and they didnt have any in stock. I was under the gun because to my surprise it was the very last day I could return my GTX460 for exchange. So I seized the moment and went with the best available card with a full size displayport as I already have the cable.
I got an MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE/OC, 3yr warranty and MSI's Military Grade hardware with triple over voltage 6+1 phase power system. Hooded up and with some tuning looks great. Although AMDs have a different graphics look and I like the way Nvidia looks better... Benchmarks are almost exactly the same as my GTX460.
This buys me time to pull off another exchange if needed. The MSI product is high quality from the boxing to the driver and software suite. The hardware is solid. But if I find a better Nvidia product for the same or slightly higher price point that has a displayport or mini displayport I can go that way. But for now I am happy that im getting my 120Hz on my beautiful display... Call of Duty 4 looks awesome in 3D. Cant wait for Need for Speed to arrive in the mail.
All in all this combo is great and with the AMD product I am not seeing a blue tint in my monitors color as I did with the GTX460 via HDMI. In reviews it was one of the very few issues with the monitor. Im not seeing it now. I think this monitor was made with AMD in mind. I wish it had a DVI port and it would have saved me a lot of hassle. In the end it was a learning experience. What did I learn? That monitor and graphics card matching is critical at the purchasing stage. Now I can finally just sit back and enjoy the setup. But then again there could be another upgrade... /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
Well went last night to CompUSA and returned the LG monitor the Samsung replaced. Looked over the available graphics cards in my price category. Looked for a mini displayport to displayport cable and they didnt have any in stock. I was under the gun because to my surprise it was the very last day I could return my GTX460 for exchange. So I seized the moment and went with the best available card with a full size displayport as I already have the cable.

I got an MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE/OC, 3yr warranty and MSI's Military Grade hardware with triple over voltage 6+1 phase power system. Hooded up and with some tuning looks great. Although AMDs have a different graphics look and I like the way Nvidia looks better... Benchmarks are almost exactly the same as my GTX460.

This buys me time to pull off another exchange if needed. The MSI product is high quality from the boxing to the driver and software suite. The hardware is solid. But if I find a better Nvidia product for the same or slightly higher price point that has a displayport or mini displayport I can go that way. But for now I am happy that im getting my 120Hz on my beautiful display... Call of Duty 4 looks awesome in 3D. Cant wait for Need for Speed to arrive in the mail.

All in all this combo is great and with the AMD product I am not seeing a blue tint in my monitors color as I did with the GTX460 via HDMI. In reviews it was one of the very few issues with the monitor. Im not seeing it now. I think this monitor was made with AMD in mind. I wish it had a DVI port and it would have saved me a lot of hassle. In the end it was a learning experience. What did I learn? That monitor and graphics card matching is critical at the purchasing stage. Now I can finally just sit back and enjoy the setup. But then again there could be another upgrade... /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Posted 01/08/2012 04:49 PM   
[quote name='HYDRO777' date='08 January 2012 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1326041384' post='1353310']
[/quote]
OK so a sale came up again a week or so later and another exchange to an MSI 6870 Hawk. Nice card for the money and since my mobo will do crossfire I can always add another one later. The overall experience with the monitor has its good and bad. The bad is sometimes the monitor shows a message that the display link may have failed and it defaults to a lower resolution. Thus you have to reset it. The good is the picture quality and lifelike reality of even 2D to 3D video. Watching porn in 3D has its advantages. :) Shutter glasses are harder on the mind than passive but work better. So if you cant handle shutter try passive its less of a brain strain. Overall now that its done Im happy with it. But if I could advise anyone here. Go with a monitor or multi monitor setup using DVI-D. Stick to Nvidia graphics because the cards are powerful. My 2 cents. Dont get me wrong the picture quality of my card is amazing for the $200 range and handle everything I like to play. Yet to buy CODMW and BF3 and yes my NFSP did arrive and rocks. Hope this helps someone out there in the planning stage of the game. Peace all.
[quote name='HYDRO777' date='08 January 2012 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1326041384' post='1353310']

OK so a sale came up again a week or so later and another exchange to an MSI 6870 Hawk. Nice card for the money and since my mobo will do crossfire I can always add another one later. The overall experience with the monitor has its good and bad. The bad is sometimes the monitor shows a message that the display link may have failed and it defaults to a lower resolution. Thus you have to reset it. The good is the picture quality and lifelike reality of even 2D to 3D video. Watching porn in 3D has its advantages. :) Shutter glasses are harder on the mind than passive but work better. So if you cant handle shutter try passive its less of a brain strain. Overall now that its done Im happy with it. But if I could advise anyone here. Go with a monitor or multi monitor setup using DVI-D. Stick to Nvidia graphics because the cards are powerful. My 2 cents. Dont get me wrong the picture quality of my card is amazing for the $200 range and handle everything I like to play. Yet to buy CODMW and BF3 and yes my NFSP did arrive and rocks. Hope this helps someone out there in the planning stage of the game. Peace all.

Posted 02/08/2012 05:12 AM   
Hello guys,

I found a place that sells the [url="http://chinacheapbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=9_28&products_id=69"]Display Port to DVi (active) cable adaptors for only 25.99 USD[/url]. I ordered and it works perfectly. Just wanted to share the info in case it helps anyone in this thread. It's the proper Active adaptor, not the cheaper type you find on ebay and Amazon that won't work for this task.

Best regards,

Lawrence
Hello guys,

I found a place that sells the Display Port to DVi (active) cable adaptors for only 25.99 USD. I ordered and it works perfectly. Just wanted to share the info in case it helps anyone in this thread. It's the proper Active adaptor, not the cheaper type you find on ebay and Amazon that won't work for this task.

Best regards,

Lawrence

Posted 06/19/2012 01:10 PM   
Scroll To Top