Modding CPU Fans for GPU
Hey Gang- I've lost the use of two Intel LGA 1156 fans due to the cr-ppy peg design and had to move to aftermarket coolers. Has anyone seen a mod for the fans which were re-applied as GPU coolers? I am not talking about something which mated to the card but a simple setup to pull hot air from the areas in which they reside. I have a multi-GPU box and would like to drop temps a bit more. TIA, V
Hey Gang- I've lost the use of two Intel LGA 1156 fans due to the cr-ppy peg design and had to move to aftermarket coolers. Has anyone seen a mod for the fans which were re-applied as GPU coolers? I am not talking about something which mated to the card but a simple setup to pull hot air from the areas in which they reside. I have a multi-GPU box and would like to drop temps a bit more. TIA, V

Posted 12/28/2011 04:31 PM   
Don't suppose you can post a piccy??

Theoretically, you could drill through the shroud base and use a small screw to mount them to the end of your GPU... but a piccy would help confirm that or not. (I can dig up a couple of piccies of my setup to give you the general idea.. if you want?)

Theoretically, you could drill through the shroud base and use a small screw to mount them to the end of your GPU... but a piccy would help confirm that or not. (I can dig up a couple of piccies of my setup to give you the general idea.. if you want?)

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 12/28/2011 09:45 PM   
That would be great, I haven't even built the rig I planned on using the fans for.

[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='28 December 2011 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1325108720' post='1348313']

[/quote]
That would be great, I haven't even built the rig I planned on using the fans for.

[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='28 December 2011 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1325108720' post='1348313']

Posted 12/28/2011 11:33 PM   
It may depend upon your GPU, but if you have one of the newer Nvidia ones (400 or 500 series, even some of the 200 series); there are screw holes on the end (M3 I think...) which some people here have used to mount fans - kind of giving a boost to the flow into the GPU fan / accross the GPU it's self. (I copied lol)
I know that this is not the same model fan, but it may be able to give you an idea or two...

Align the fan up with the GPU holes and work out where is the best place to drill. I think you may need to cut the back flat to mount easily - a saw (to cut) followed by a box cutter (to neaten up) would be my method.
Then drill the hole carefully - the plastic may be a bit brittle. You may not have sufficient 'meat' to drill 2 holes at the correct distances (plastic too thin)
[img]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9937/dsc0408r.jpg[/img] - I had to remove the wall on this one for my 2nd hole
Then it's plain sailing - just carefully screw the fan to the end of the GPU (if you can only have one hole, tighten it up quite a bit to prevent vibration)
[img]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/3928/dsc0410f.jpg[/img] - Pretty much what you'll end up with.

You could also make a mount.
The better way would be to get a sheet of metal / wood / thick card, cut a hole in it to the correct size and mount as you see fit - maybe more drill holes etc, or maybe cable ties.
The way I did it was with some hacksawed DIN rail and a bit of wood lol - not neat, but it worked
[img]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2065/dsc0411yo.jpg[/img] - again, it's not too neat (& the fan mounts are slightly different), but experiment and no doubt you'll make something as ugly lol /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> or better :)

*Edit to make the piccies work... damn you imageshack
It may depend upon your GPU, but if you have one of the newer Nvidia ones (400 or 500 series, even some of the 200 series); there are screw holes on the end (M3 I think...) which some people here have used to mount fans - kind of giving a boost to the flow into the GPU fan / accross the GPU it's self. (I copied lol)

I know that this is not the same model fan, but it may be able to give you an idea or two...

Align the fan up with the GPU holes and work out where is the best place to drill. I think you may need to cut the back flat to mount easily - a saw (to cut) followed by a box cutter (to neaten up) would be my method.

Then drill the hole carefully - the plastic may be a bit brittle. You may not have sufficient 'meat' to drill 2 holes at the correct distances (plastic too thin)

Image - I had to remove the wall on this one for my 2nd hole

Then it's plain sailing - just carefully screw the fan to the end of the GPU (if you can only have one hole, tighten it up quite a bit to prevent vibration)

Image - Pretty much what you'll end up with.

You could also make a mount.

The better way would be to get a sheet of metal / wood / thick card, cut a hole in it to the correct size and mount as you see fit - maybe more drill holes etc, or maybe cable ties.

The way I did it was with some hacksawed DIN rail and a bit of wood lol - not neat, but it worked

Image - again, it's not too neat (& the fan mounts are slightly different), but experiment and no doubt you'll make something as ugly lol /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> or better :)

*Edit to make the piccies work... damn you imageshack

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Posted 12/28/2011 11:59 PM   
Wow, great description. Thanks very much. V.
Wow, great description. Thanks very much. V.

Posted 12/29/2011 12:59 AM   
Just plan what you're after doing and make sure that you have the room around the fan (don't want to snag a wire and have it chopped by the fan blade)
Just plan what you're after doing and make sure that you have the room around the fan (don't want to snag a wire and have it chopped by the fan blade)

Posted 12/30/2011 04:31 PM   
Scroll To Top