Temp problems - improve airflow?
Hi

First of I don't know if this is the right forum part to post this, so please move it if it's not.

Now, I'm experiencing temperature problems with my video card. I have 2x GTX 470 running in SLI. According to Msi Afterburner GPU1 is idling at 80-90 degrees on auto fan speed (about 64%).
When I play games the fan speed goes up to 90-100% and the temperature is between 90-105degrees.

I've already managed to burn one card. So It's about time I do something about this.

I have a[url="http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-Fatal1ty-Case/376/2"]Fatal1ty case[/url] with 2 "Scythe Gentle Typhoon92mm 2150rpm" as front fans blowing air in (full load), 1 "Scythe Gentle Typhoon120mm 1150rpm" back fan pushing air out (full load) and also a "Noctua NF-B9 Silent Case Fan 92mm 1600rpm" in the case door. I have tried switching this last fan to both pushing air out and blowing in. Doesn't seem to make any difference on the vide cards though.

As I have a "Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5" motherboard, the second video card is right below the first one which probably contributes to the high temps. But I keep my hopes up on that I can do something about the airflow to lover my temps.

For the CPU I have the Noctua NH-C12P.

I have thought of 2 options this far.
1. Removing the 3 HDD bay which is "blocking" the front fans and move the harddrives to the 3,5 bays instead.

2. Make another hole, but in top of the case with another 120mm fan pushing air out.

What do you guys think? Have any ideas and/or do you think the above options would improve anything?

Thanks in advance

Sisu

| PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD\'s - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)
Hi

First of I don't know if this is the right forum part to post this, so please move it if it's not.

Now, I'm experiencing temperature problems with my video card. I have 2x GTX 470 running in SLI. According to Msi Afterburner GPU1 is idling at 80-90 degrees on auto fan speed (about 64%).

When I play games the fan speed goes up to 90-100% and the temperature is between 90-105degrees.

I've already managed to burn one card. So It's about time I do something about this.

I have aFatal1ty case with 2 "Scythe Gentle Typhoon92mm 2150rpm" as front fans blowing air in (full load), 1 "Scythe Gentle Typhoon120mm 1150rpm" back fan pushing air out (full load) and also a "Noctua NF-B9 Silent Case Fan 92mm 1600rpm" in the case door. I have tried switching this last fan to both pushing air out and blowing in. Doesn't seem to make any difference on the vide cards though.

As I have a "Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5" motherboard, the second video card is right below the first one which probably contributes to the high temps. But I keep my hopes up on that I can do something about the airflow to lover my temps.

For the CPU I have the Noctua NH-C12P.

I have thought of 2 options this far.

1. Removing the 3 HDD bay which is "blocking" the front fans and move the harddrives to the 3,5 bays instead.

2. Make another hole, but in top of the case with another 120mm fan pushing air out.

What do you guys think? Have any ideas and/or do you think the above options would improve anything?

Thanks in advance

Sisu

| PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD\'s - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)

Posted 12/28/2011 02:21 PM   
Yup, sounds like you need to improve your airflow...

Couple of things you could do:
1. Uprate your intake fans to higher air flow ones. Should improve the air temp, but will add noise.
2. Add more fans over the heat generating areas & vents / fans at the top of the case
Mnpctech has handy [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/Fan_Grill_Templates.html"]fan templates[/url] for cutting new holes. They also stock '[url="http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html"]U-channel[/url]' for neatening up the edges...

I'd wait a little before hacking up your case for others to feedback - but in the meantime, maybe run with the side panel off??

My suggestion would be as follows:
Remove the HDD bay as you suggested, uprate that fan to a higher flowing one, add an additional (or indeed just add a) fan hole over the GPU area & put a higher flowing fan in. Then probably add some vent holes / exhaust fans at the top of the case (1 or 2).
I'd also suggest that you may need to replace the thermal paste / pads on the GPU if you've been cooking it. Possibly the same for the CPU if it's been getting overly warm as well...

That would be my method... or a new case. BUT, like I said earlier; wait before attacking the case - see what others suggest first. Also, I know little about good fans, so you'd be looking for advice on them /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Good luck :)
Yup, sounds like you need to improve your airflow...

Couple of things you could do:

1. Uprate your intake fans to higher air flow ones. Should improve the air temp, but will add noise.

2. Add more fans over the heat generating areas & vents / fans at the top of the case

Mnpctech has handy fan templates for cutting new holes. They also stock 'U-channel' for neatening up the edges...

I'd wait a little before hacking up your case for others to feedback - but in the meantime, maybe run with the side panel off??

My suggestion would be as follows:

Remove the HDD bay as you suggested, uprate that fan to a higher flowing one, add an additional (or indeed just add a) fan hole over the GPU area & put a higher flowing fan in. Then probably add some vent holes / exhaust fans at the top of the case (1 or 2).

I'd also suggest that you may need to replace the thermal paste / pads on the GPU if you've been cooking it. Possibly the same for the CPU if it's been getting overly warm as well...

That would be my method... or a new case. BUT, like I said earlier; wait before attacking the case - see what others suggest first. Also, I know little about good fans, so you'd be looking for advice on them /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Good luck :)

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 12/28/2011 02:44 PM   
Hi xxdeltaxx and thanks for you tips.

I will certainly have use of those links if I'm going to start drilling in the case.

But first I'll going try a tip that I got from another forum;

[i]"An easy way to tell if you have an airflow problem:
Open your case, blow a house or desk fan on HIGH into the side of your case. Repeat your typical load testing via games, encoding, Folding, benchmarking, etc.
If your temps are noticeably cooler, you have an airflow problem in your case. If your temps remain the same, yet still are too high, you have an issue with the cooler(s) on your hardware or how they are mounted."[/i]

I don't have a desk fan here at the moment, I'll need to get one from work tomorrow.

PS: opening the side panel doesn't help, It almost has the opposite effect.

I will keep this thread updated.
Hi xxdeltaxx and thanks for you tips.

I will certainly have use of those links if I'm going to start drilling in the case.

But first I'll going try a tip that I got from another forum;

"An easy way to tell if you have an airflow problem:

Open your case, blow a house or desk fan on HIGH into the side of your case. Repeat your typical load testing via games, encoding, Folding, benchmarking, etc.

If your temps are noticeably cooler, you have an airflow problem in your case. If your temps remain the same, yet still are too high, you have an issue with the cooler(s) on your hardware or how they are mounted."

I don't have a desk fan here at the moment, I'll need to get one from work tomorrow.

PS: opening the side panel doesn't help, It almost has the opposite effect.

I will keep this thread updated.

Posted 12/29/2011 02:37 PM   
I would say to check the cards heatsink cause 80C on idle is not normal and these changes wont improve that.

Maybe replace the therma paste on the cards, or clean the heatsinks. Really add 1 or 2 fans wont solve the problem, it maybe only hide it for a little longer.
I would say to check the cards heatsink cause 80C on idle is not normal and these changes wont improve that.

Maybe replace the therma paste on the cards, or clean the heatsinks. Really add 1 or 2 fans wont solve the problem, it maybe only hide it for a little longer.

MB: Intel DH55HC

CPU: Intel i7 860, 3.2 GHz + Akasa Nero 2 + Viper Fan

RAM: Kingstone 2x 2 Gb, DDR 3, 1333 MHz

PSU: Seventeam V-Force Series 850W

GPU: Evga GTX 580 772/1544/2004(4008)

SPU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

HD: Samsung 1 Tb, 32 Mb, SaTA II

DVD: LG Blue Ray

CASE: Aerocool BX-500, 7 fans

GPAD: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

MOUSE: CM Sentinel Advance

KEY: Logitech G15

MON: LG Flatron E2350, 1920 x 1080 res

SO: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

DRIV: Forceware 285.62

Posted 01/17/2012 06:57 PM   
Although it is a good looking case, running SLI in a small case like that is not going to help. You don't have much room at the bottom so your cards probably are not getting the best cooling. I agree that the hard drives are in the way. The best option would be to get a better case. If you are messing around with your case, modifying this or that, it might end up costing you as much as buying a new one. If you lived near indianapolis, I could sell you my HAF 932 AMD Fusion Edition (the red one with the dragon on the side) for a good price or even my Antec Two Hundreds. Those would be the kind of cases where things stay nice and cool.
Although it is a good looking case, running SLI in a small case like that is not going to help. You don't have much room at the bottom so your cards probably are not getting the best cooling. I agree that the hard drives are in the way. The best option would be to get a better case. If you are messing around with your case, modifying this or that, it might end up costing you as much as buying a new one. If you lived near indianapolis, I could sell you my HAF 932 AMD Fusion Edition (the red one with the dragon on the side) for a good price or even my Antec Two Hundreds. Those would be the kind of cases where things stay nice and cool.

Posted 01/17/2012 07:33 PM   
Scroll To Top