GTX580 + GT220 Dedicated PhysX
Hi, new to the forums here.

I have a GTX580, and I'm wondering if adding my old GT220 as a dedicated PhysX card will make any improvement at all?

In the Nvidia control panel, under the PhysX tab, when I set the drop down box to 'auto-select' it selects my 580, but I was thinking it might just be doing that because obviously that's the more powerful GPU of the two.

I don't really have anything other than Batman: AC to test the differences between using the 220 or not, but that's a bugged mess, so I can't use that as a fair test.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Hi, new to the forums here.

I have a GTX580, and I'm wondering if adding my old GT220 as a dedicated PhysX card will make any improvement at all?

In the Nvidia control panel, under the PhysX tab, when I set the drop down box to 'auto-select' it selects my 580, but I was thinking it might just be doing that because obviously that's the more powerful GPU of the two.

I don't really have anything other than Batman: AC to test the differences between using the 220 or not, but that's a bugged mess, so I can't use that as a fair test.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Posted 12/27/2011 09:05 PM   
The GT220 will likely cause a performance loss over the GTX580 alone.

It's too weak of a card.
The GT220 will cause a serious performance hit in games supporting PhysX, as Raptor has said. Even a GTX 280 would be borderline. A GTX 560Ti would be the best PhysX card to complement a 580, but a GTX 460\470\480 would also provide benefits.

My advice would be to just forget about adding a PhysX card. The only time it makes sense is when you have an adequate GPU laying around that you can use as a PPU (the GT220 is not adequate in this situation). Buying a GPU solely for PhysX is a huge waste, unless of course you can get the card for pennies.
The GT220 will cause a serious performance hit in games supporting PhysX, as Raptor has said. Even a GTX 280 would be borderline. A GTX 560Ti would be the best PhysX card to complement a 580, but a GTX 460\470\480 would also provide benefits.

My advice would be to just forget about adding a PhysX card. The only time it makes sense is when you have an adequate GPU laying around that you can use as a PPU (the GT220 is not adequate in this situation). Buying a GPU solely for PhysX is a huge waste, unless of course you can get the card for pennies.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 12/27/2011 10:14 PM   
Cheers for the quick response both of you.

I didn't think the GT220 would really stand up to the GTX580, but I thought it a waste to just box it away, but from what you both say, I'll not bother with the dedicated card.

This thread can be closed.
Cheers for the quick response both of you.

I didn't think the GT220 would really stand up to the GTX580, but I thought it a waste to just box it away, but from what you both say, I'll not bother with the dedicated card.

This thread can be closed.

Posted 12/28/2011 01:00 AM   
Scroll To Top