P8P67 - PLEASE HELP! Bios Question
I recently upgraded my rig with the new Asus board. I ran into a problem shortly after my build. When my rig would boot up after a night of use, my display would say no image and go into a sleep mode. In order to fix the problem I would power down, disconnect my card and then reconnect the card and boot up and it would work like a dream, only to have the same issue come up again in the morning.

Just last night I flashed my bios to the latest version and it seems to have fixed the problem. The rig booted up fine. Does this make sense???

I actually originally RMA'd my gpu thinking that was issue after talking with EVGA. Only to find after about 2 weeks of waiting, the problem still persisted. I only have tried this fix once to see if it worked and need to confirm this again this evening when I try to boot the rig again, but just wanted to make sure I have not fixed this with another bandaid. I want to know if I should be RMA'ing the mobo. I am beginning to think this may be the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I recently upgraded my rig with the new Asus board. I ran into a problem shortly after my build. When my rig would boot up after a night of use, my display would say no image and go into a sleep mode. In order to fix the problem I would power down, disconnect my card and then reconnect the card and boot up and it would work like a dream, only to have the same issue come up again in the morning.

Just last night I flashed my bios to the latest version and it seems to have fixed the problem. The rig booted up fine. Does this make sense???

I actually originally RMA'd my gpu thinking that was issue after talking with EVGA. Only to find after about 2 weeks of waiting, the problem still persisted. I only have tried this fix once to see if it worked and need to confirm this again this evening when I try to boot the rig again, but just wanted to make sure I have not fixed this with another bandaid. I want to know if I should be RMA'ing the mobo. I am beginning to think this may be the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CPU - Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Audio - Onboard Asus
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card - 2560MB SLI
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"
Keyboard - Razer Lycosa HeadPhones - Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset
Mouse - Logitech Performance MX
Case - Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower
OS - Windows 8.1, 64 bit Pro

Posted 12/27/2011 06:13 PM   
Lets hope it fixed it, as the only other thing that came to mind reading the post was power issue. Power issue can be PSU, caps on the board, caps on the card.

But then if the flash fixed it, it makes me wonder if clearing the cmos would have done it also.
Lets hope it fixed it, as the only other thing that came to mind reading the post was power issue. Power issue can be PSU, caps on the board, caps on the card.

But then if the flash fixed it, it makes me wonder if clearing the cmos would have done it also.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 12/28/2011 01:18 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='27 December 2011 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1325035088' post='1347921']

[/quote]

Unfortunately it did not work. I called ASUS and they are willing to RAM the board. I am just concerned that it may not be the board either. Why would I have to pull the video card and reseed it in order for me to get a working display? And it does not matter which pci slot I plug the card into.

I am trying to figure a way of how to test the psu. It has been solid for about 2 years and there certainly should be enough power to run everything. If it really is the psu, then how could it run everything like silk all day long? the problem only comes up when I boot up in the morning. I am gonna check to see if it does it on a restart but I don't think it happens there. I will edit when I know for sure.

Somebody please help!! /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Restart does not cause the problem with diplay not working.
[quote name='Greybear' date='27 December 2011 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1325035088' post='1347921']

Unfortunately it did not work. I called ASUS and they are willing to RAM the board. I am just concerned that it may not be the board either. Why would I have to pull the video card and reseed it in order for me to get a working display? And it does not matter which pci slot I plug the card into.

I am trying to figure a way of how to test the psu. It has been solid for about 2 years and there certainly should be enough power to run everything. If it really is the psu, then how could it run everything like silk all day long? the problem only comes up when I boot up in the morning. I am gonna check to see if it does it on a restart but I don't think it happens there. I will edit when I know for sure.

Somebody please help!! /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Restart does not cause the problem with diplay not working.

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 12/28/2011 02:11 PM   
Try this and see if it RECREATES the problem.

Shut Down the computer.
Unplug the Computer.
Press the Power Button and hold for a 5 count.
Plug back in the computer.
Press the power button.

The first thing in the morning all the parts are cool. When you boot up, EVERYTHING is pulling power from the PSU at the same time. The Caps on the motherboard and cards should have discharged. Then most people do a quick cycle reboot and any item that didnt get power and prevented the startup, then get power and everything works fine.

BTW these terms are:
RMA the board.
reseat the videocard.

Shut Down the computer.

Unplug the Computer.

Press the power button.

The first thing in the morning all the parts are cool. When you boot up, EVERYTHING is pulling power from the PSU at the same time. The Caps on the motherboard and cards should have discharged. Then most people do a quick cycle reboot and any item that didnt get power and prevented the startup, then get power and everything works fine.

BTW these terms are:

RMA the board.

reseat the videocard.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 12/29/2011 02:46 AM   
I think I may have isolated the problem and Grey bear I believe you were right. It may be my psu. This morning I decided to reseat my gpu into another pci slot first before I turned the power on. When I powered on, there was no display. Then I powered down, moved the card again and when I powered up, the display worked.

Does this mean it definitively is my psu???? It seems like it, but then again, I have never had a problem with my psu, so I am not positive. There has got to be a way to test the psu. I have got to look this up but if anybody has suggestions, they would be appreciated.
I think I may have isolated the problem and Grey bear I believe you were right. It may be my psu. This morning I decided to reseat my gpu into another pci slot first before I turned the power on. When I powered on, there was no display. Then I powered down, moved the card again and when I powered up, the display worked.

Does this mean it definitively is my psu???? It seems like it, but then again, I have never had a problem with my psu, so I am not positive. There has got to be a way to test the psu. I have got to look this up but if anybody has suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 12/30/2011 02:08 PM   
The only way to definitively test the PSU is under full load and with a Volt/Ohm meter. There is a percentage variance they are allowed to have.

Otherwise the easiest way to test is to just buy a new PSU (or if you have a spare) and put it in to find out.

I only trust [b]Corsair[/b] and [b]PC Power and Cooling[/b] PSU's.
The only way to definitively test the PSU is under full load and with a Volt/Ohm meter. There is a percentage variance they are allowed to have.

Otherwise the easiest way to test is to just buy a new PSU (or if you have a spare) and put it in to find out.

I only trust Corsair and PC Power and Cooling PSU's.

Posted 12/31/2011 01:51 AM   
Just for grin's does your motherboard have the four pin molex connector up by the memory slot's and if so do you have a molex connector plugged in there?
Just for grin's does your motherboard have the four pin molex connector up by the memory slot's and if so do you have a molex connector plugged in there?

Posted 12/31/2011 02:00 AM   
[quote name='Impatient' date='30 December 2011 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1325296818' post='1349421']
[/quote]

I didnt see a PCIe Molex on the Boards diagram.
[quote name='Impatient' date='30 December 2011 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1325296818' post='1349421']

I didnt see a PCIe Molex on the Boards diagram.

Posted 12/31/2011 03:49 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 December 2011 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1325296315' post='1349417']

I only trust [b]Corsair[/b] and [b]PC Power and Cooling[/b] PSU's.
[/quote]

I figured as much. I am going to see what kind of power supply I can find locally at a Best Buy or something. Unfortunately that is all I have around here by me. At least it will let me confirm if it is my psu!

I figure I need psu of at least 900 to 1000 Watts. They may not have that much here but nothing like trying!
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 December 2011 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1325296315' post='1349417']

I only trust Corsair and PC Power and Cooling PSU's.

I figured as much. I am going to see what kind of power supply I can find locally at a Best Buy or something. Unfortunately that is all I have around here by me. At least it will let me confirm if it is my psu!

I figure I need psu of at least 900 to 1000 Watts. They may not have that much here but nothing like trying!

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 12/31/2011 04:18 AM   
Looking at what you have listed and expecting maybe 2 HD and an Optical, I wouldnt think you would need much over a 700watt.

What I look for in a PSU is a single 12v rail with above 46amps.
Looking at what you have listed and expecting maybe 2 HD and an Optical, I wouldnt think you would need much over a 700watt.

Posted 12/31/2011 04:47 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 December 2011 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1325306846' post='1349485']

[/quote]

I eventually would like to SLI my gpu but if I am just conducting a test, that really may be best that IO can find.

I will let you know when I go to store tomorrow!
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 December 2011 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1325306846' post='1349485']

I eventually would like to SLI my gpu but if I am just conducting a test, that really may be best that IO can find.

I will let you know when I go to store tomorrow!

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 12/31/2011 05:27 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='28 December 2011 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1325126792' post='1348452']

Shut Down the computer.
Unplug the Computer.
Press the power button.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So I just got a new psu. It is a Thermaltake 850W. I followed your steps above to see if I could recreate the problem, and it did not with the new psu. I am going to double check this is the morning to be absolutely sure but I hope this has fixed my dilemma!!!!

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed! /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />
[quote name='Greybear' date='28 December 2011 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1325126792' post='1348452']

Shut Down the computer.

Unplug the Computer.

Press the power button.

So I just got a new psu. It is a Thermaltake 850W. I followed your steps above to see if I could recreate the problem, and it did not with the new psu. I am going to double check this is the morning to be absolutely sure but I hope this has fixed my dilemma!!!!

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed! /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 01/02/2012 10:08 PM   
The key question is, Did you attempt that before buying the new PSU and did you get the problem still?
The key question is, Did you attempt that before buying the new PSU and did you get the problem still?

Posted 01/02/2012 10:58 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='02 January 2012 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1325545121' post='1350702']
[/quote]

I tried it on the new psu. It did not recreate the problem. What was nice was that this morning I turned on my rig (Mind you it was 40 deg this morning so it was like 70 deg in my room) Everything worked like a charm. It is amazing how such a basic function like your rig powering up can be so joyful after all the agonizing I have gone through over this.

I am going to be a bit leery on this until I make it consecutive days of power up without issue before I am fully confident but, I think this is it. Thanks for all the help Greybear. You saved me the agony of RMAing my motherboard and having to go through that agony like I did with the GPU which wound up be a total waste of time.
[quote name='Greybear' date='02 January 2012 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1325545121' post='1350702']

I tried it on the new psu. It did not recreate the problem. What was nice was that this morning I turned on my rig (Mind you it was 40 deg this morning so it was like 70 deg in my room) Everything worked like a charm. It is amazing how such a basic function like your rig powering up can be so joyful after all the agonizing I have gone through over this.

I am going to be a bit leery on this until I make it consecutive days of power up without issue before I am fully confident but, I think this is it. Thanks for all the help Greybear. You saved me the agony of RMAing my motherboard and having to go through that agony like I did with the GPU which wound up be a total waste of time.

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 01/03/2012 02:33 PM   
In my first post I thought it sounded like PSU. (crossing fingers) Lets see how this week goes.
In my first post I thought it sounded like PSU. (crossing fingers) Lets see how this week goes.

Posted 01/04/2012 01:22 AM   
Scroll To Top