Screen tearing need help I have video tearing in games and youtube videos.
Here is my system specs.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I have massive screen tearing during games like battlefield 3, swtor, starcraft II, etc and even when I watch youtube videos. Any sightly fast camera movement or video movement causes the screen to tear and it takes away from the experience of playing these games.

I consider myself somewhat advanced user and know a lot about computers and have tried the following: Using the nvidia setting tried setting refresh rates the same and forcing v-sync. I tried turning off windows aero and enabling it. I've tried to change resolutions within windows and matching and changing refresh rates. My computer native specs are 1600x900 at 59refresh rate. it says I can use 50 and 60 too but won't allow me to use 60 only 50. I reinstalled drivers and reverted back to old ones but I have not been able to fix the problem

At this point the only option is to reformat and install windows again but I don't have a backup so I don't want to buy a new OS for 100bucks :P

I will attach some pictures of what my screen tearing looks like and if u need more information please ask I really need help!

thank you

tob

[attachment=23629:darksiders_screentearing.jpg]

[attachment=23630:tearing.png]
Here is my system specs.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I have massive screen tearing during games like battlefield 3, swtor, starcraft II, etc and even when I watch youtube videos. Any sightly fast camera movement or video movement causes the screen to tear and it takes away from the experience of playing these games.

I consider myself somewhat advanced user and know a lot about computers and have tried the following: Using the nvidia setting tried setting refresh rates the same and forcing v-sync. I tried turning off windows aero and enabling it. I've tried to change resolutions within windows and matching and changing refresh rates. My computer native specs are 1600x900 at 59refresh rate. it says I can use 50 and 60 too but won't allow me to use 60 only 50. I reinstalled drivers and reverted back to old ones but I have not been able to fix the problem

At this point the only option is to reformat and install windows again but I don't have a backup so I don't want to buy a new OS for 100bucks :P

I will attach some pictures of what my screen tearing looks like and if u need more information please ask I really need help!

thank you

tob

[attachment=23629:darksiders_screentearing.jpg]

[attachment=23630:tearing.png]

Posted 12/26/2011 01:42 AM   
[quote name='']
[/quote]

This is a laptop correct? Did you not get the Restore CD's? Run the CD program? Or not even get a Restore Partition on the hd?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

I do not know and answer to your problem, but was curious if youve tried the same fixes using an external monitor?
said:

This is a laptop correct? Did you not get the Restore CD's? Run the CD program? Or not even get a Restore Partition on the hd?

I do not know and answer to your problem, but was curious if youve tried the same fixes using an external monitor?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/26/2011 02:54 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='25 December 2011 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1324868082' post='1347187']

[/quote]
Yes this is a sony vaio laptop, make :vpcf126FM I did not get restore cds nor did I set up a partition on the hd at the time I got it.
I've tried using my 40' lcd full hd tv as an external monitor and the tearing issues still happens so i've narrowed it down to a GPU or OS problem.
[quote name='Greybear' date='25 December 2011 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1324868082' post='1347187']

Yes this is a sony vaio laptop, make :vpcf126FM I did not get restore cds nor did I set up a partition on the hd at the time I got it.

I've tried using my 40' lcd full hd tv as an external monitor and the tearing issues still happens so i've narrowed it down to a GPU or OS problem.

Posted 12/26/2011 03:00 AM   
I still dont know :) - but I am very curious to the answer. From what I have been looking at, this is what I am thinking but I am more than likely wrong:

The problem exists with the GPU and monitor combined, and here is why I think that.

The monitor is reported to have an aspect ratio of 16:9 which is considered HD.
But your monitor on the laptop is not an HD monitor.
In order to be HD it has to be 1080p, but it is 720.

What I think is happening is that inorder to achieve the 16:9 ratio the GPU is having to do extra work on the input graphics to resize the image to this.
Since this is a Laptop, I dont think this chip is up to the task of the resizing.

Came to this Theory in 10min, so dont laugh at me to hard.

On a Different note, Recovery Disks Info from Sony: [url=http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&docType=kc&externalId=C1008008] >>> Click Here <<< [/url]
I still dont know :) - but I am very curious to the answer. From what I have been looking at, this is what I am thinking but I am more than likely wrong:

The problem exists with the GPU and monitor combined, and here is why I think that.

The monitor is reported to have an aspect ratio of 16:9 which is considered HD.

But your monitor on the laptop is not an HD monitor.

In order to be HD it has to be 1080p, but it is 720.

What I think is happening is that inorder to achieve the 16:9 ratio the GPU is having to do extra work on the input graphics to resize the image to this.

Since this is a Laptop, I dont think this chip is up to the task of the resizing.

Came to this Theory in 10min, so dont laugh at me to hard.

On a Different note, Recovery Disks Info from Sony: >>> Click Here <<<

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/26/2011 02:50 PM   
Scroll To Top