Increase Skyrim performance by up to 40% TESV Acceleration Layer
  1 / 2    
Initial reports on performance gains have been phenomenal. Please read this first...

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321657-tesv-acceleration-layer-offers-cpu-optimization-massive-possible-performance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

It is now available via Mod Manager: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4387
Initial reports on performance gains have been phenomenal. Please read this first...

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321657-tesv-acceleration-layer-offers-cpu-optimization-massive-possible-performance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

It is now available via Mod Manager: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4387

Posted 12/23/2011 01:04 AM   
Damn, cannot read it until I get home......infernal corporate access policy.

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 12/23/2011 01:23 AM   
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='23 December 2011 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1324603400' post='1346114']
[/quote]

I will quote it for you.. I just tested it and damn mate, never seen a game run so much better in FPS EVER!!!!!!! Its insane!

[quote]For those wary of downloading this plugin because it was made by an unknown author, don't worry, it was actually ianpatt (one of the main developers of SKSE) who actually compiled the plugin from source provided by the original author of the optimization code.

This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.
It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.

Thread with download link: http://forums.bethso...leration-layer/
Note: Do not download the original file in the Spoiler tag as it won't work, you want the one in the quote box. Direct link (may change): http://skse.silverlo...2-skseplugin.7z

SKSE Thread with download link: http://forums.bethso...-extender-skse/

To use SKSE, just download it and place it in your main Skyrim folder, then run Skyrim using "skse_loader" which is included with SKSE. The plugin goes in Skyrim\Data\SKSE\plugins (a folder which won't exist if you've never used SKSE, so you'll have to make it).

Note: If using the skse_loader crashes for you on WIndows Vista/7, right-click it and use "Run as Administrator". Works for some, even when it shouldn't.

This has a good chance to fix/reduce people's problems with various "kill areas" which destroy their FPS.

Note: Currently must be compiled for a specific version of Skyrim, so only 1.3.10 compatible right now.

Hopefully Bethesda will learn something from this source and release their own patch by the end of 2012!

Edit: Added bold notes, added author credits (this is not my mod, don't thank me, thank them)[/quote]
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='23 December 2011 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1324603400' post='1346114']

I will quote it for you.. I just tested it and damn mate, never seen a game run so much better in FPS EVER!!!!!!! Its insane!

For those wary of downloading this plugin because it was made by an unknown author, don't worry, it was actually ianpatt (one of the main developers of SKSE) who actually compiled the plugin from source provided by the original author of the optimization code.

This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.

It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.

Thread with download link: http://forums.bethso...leration-layer/

Note: Do not download the original file in the Spoiler tag as it won't work, you want the one in the quote box. Direct link (may change): http://skse.silverlo...2-skseplugin.7z

SKSE Thread with download link: http://forums.bethso...-extender-skse/

To use SKSE, just download it and place it in your main Skyrim folder, then run Skyrim using "skse_loader" which is included with SKSE. The plugin goes in Skyrim\Data\SKSE\plugins (a folder which won't exist if you've never used SKSE, so you'll have to make it).

Note: If using the skse_loader crashes for you on WIndows Vista/7, right-click it and use "Run as Administrator". Works for some, even when it shouldn't.

This has a good chance to fix/reduce people's problems with various "kill areas" which destroy their FPS.

Note: Currently must be compiled for a specific version of Skyrim, so only 1.3.10 compatible right now.

Hopefully Bethesda will learn something from this source and release their own patch by the end of 2012!

Edit: Added bold notes, added author credits (this is not my mod, don't thank me, thank them)

Posted 12/23/2011 01:25 AM   
lol so awesome, will definitely try this in a sec. Best part:

[indent]"This patch will improve your frame rate by up to [b]40% in all CPU-dependent situations[/b], i.e. especially in cities.
It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at [b]Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds[/b]."
[/indent]
I guess this will be the next silent patch after the 4GB LAA patch. This is really the definition of a console port. If Skyrim weren't moddable it would really be a far less memorable experience on the PC.

Thanks for the heads-up pixel* /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />
lol so awesome, will definitely try this in a sec. Best part:

[indent]"This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.

It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds."

[/indent]

I guess this will be the next silent patch after the 4GB LAA patch. This is really the definition of a console port. If Skyrim weren't moddable it would really be a far less memorable experience on the PC.

Thanks for the heads-up pixel* /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 12/23/2011 01:33 AM   
Ok so are Bethesda just lazy or incompotent then? cause WTF

We have been saying (well, I have anyway) for YEARS how brutally inefficent the coding was for their crappy gamebyro engine, and that it was a CPU hog monster on the level of a dremora lord.

And it turns out it can be fixed!

WELL WHAT A SHOCK! that is, it's NOT just because you need a super computer to run it.....it really is flawed software! not even flawed software, that would be understandable, this is leaving a freaking bunch of check boxes UN TICKED.

This SHOULD outrage the PC community - but I doubt it will - only if you do not feel like paying for software that has optimized code COMMPLETELY LEFT OUT for no apparent reason, do they incite a reaction. *sigh*

Thanks for posting this, combined with nvidia's new drivers hopefully this will sort the game out once and for all.
Ok so are Bethesda just lazy or incompotent then? cause WTF

We have been saying (well, I have anyway) for YEARS how brutally inefficent the coding was for their crappy gamebyro engine, and that it was a CPU hog monster on the level of a dremora lord.

And it turns out it can be fixed!

WELL WHAT A SHOCK! that is, it's NOT just because you need a super computer to run it.....it really is flawed software! not even flawed software, that would be understandable, this is leaving a freaking bunch of check boxes UN TICKED.

This SHOULD outrage the PC community - but I doubt it will - only if you do not feel like paying for software that has optimized code COMMPLETELY LEFT OUT for no apparent reason, do they incite a reaction. *sigh*

Thanks for posting this, combined with nvidia's new drivers hopefully this will sort the game out once and for all.

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

Posted 12/23/2011 01:43 AM   
OK, just tested this a bit and I can say the results are definitely not trivial. I saw ~8FPS increase from 32FPS to 40FPS (+25%) looking towards Dragonsreach outside from just outside of Warmaidens. That's usually one of the worst spots for me for FPS drops. I also noticed a pretty good increase in GPU utilization, from around 50-60% to 75-85% per GPU. I'll do a few FRAPs runthroughs of Whiterun to see how much of a difference there is in actual motion.
OK, just tested this a bit and I can say the results are definitely not trivial. I saw ~8FPS increase from 32FPS to 40FPS (+25%) looking towards Dragonsreach outside from just outside of Warmaidens. That's usually one of the worst spots for me for FPS drops. I also noticed a pretty good increase in GPU utilization, from around 50-60% to 75-85% per GPU. I'll do a few FRAPs runthroughs of Whiterun to see how much of a difference there is in actual motion.

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0

Posted 12/23/2011 01:59 AM   
[quote name='chiz' date='23 December 2011 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1324605553' post='1346130']
[/quote]

Nice one chiz... I'm glad its making a difference for people with different hardware! What are you guys running?

Perhaps we can make this one a sticky for the people that might miss it?
[quote name='chiz' date='23 December 2011 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1324605553' post='1346130']

Nice one chiz... I'm glad its making a difference for people with different hardware! What are you guys running?

Perhaps we can make this one a sticky for the people that might miss it?

Posted 12/23/2011 02:13 AM   
Sticky this sh** all over the net! and all over bethesda forums so people know how incompotent they really are.

Make sure to mention its something that ought to have already been applied but, as mysteriously as the mysterium xarxes, was not.
Sticky this sh** all over the net! and all over bethesda forums so people know how incompotent they really are.

Make sure to mention its something that ought to have already been applied but, as mysteriously as the mysterium xarxes, was not.

Posted 12/23/2011 03:50 AM   
So just did a few runs with and without the Acceleration Layer, pretty nice results:

[attachment=23605:SkyrimAccMod.JPG]

Just did a few runs through Whiterun from Warmaiden's, up to Dragonsreach and back until the 60 second benchmark timer ended. Overall the FPS don't increase that much but there's spots its 5-10FPS higher when you really need it (30ish FPS) which is fantastic. Maybe we'll see use of more than 2 cores next if we ever get an official performance optimization from Bethesda, until then this will certainly do over what we had before! /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
So just did a few runs with and without the Acceleration Layer, pretty nice results:

[attachment=23605:SkyrimAccMod.JPG]

Just did a few runs through Whiterun from Warmaiden's, up to Dragonsreach and back until the 60 second benchmark timer ended. Overall the FPS don't increase that much but there's spots its 5-10FPS higher when you really need it (30ish FPS) which is fantastic. Maybe we'll see use of more than 2 cores next if we ever get an official performance optimization from Bethesda, until then this will certainly do over what we had before! /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
Attachments

SkyrimAccMod.JPG

Posted 12/23/2011 06:07 AM   
It definitely works for me - I am seeing about a 25% or so increase in the few Whiterun areas I tested. I tested a save I had where I am near the entrance to Dragonreach and looking down into Whiterun. Without this I am getting 27-28 FPS, with it I am getting 34-35 FPS. Since it really helps with the CPU-intensive areas like cities, it is a must have mod IMHO.
It definitely works for me - I am seeing about a 25% or so increase in the few Whiterun areas I tested. I tested a save I had where I am near the entrance to Dragonreach and looking down into Whiterun. Without this I am getting 27-28 FPS, with it I am getting 34-35 FPS. Since it really helps with the CPU-intensive areas like cities, it is a must have mod IMHO.

Posted 12/23/2011 03:02 PM   
As a programmer it pains me some times to see people who don't code C++ for a living say things like "Oh they didn't turn the optimization compiler flags on? They are so lazy!" If it was really that easy they would have done it, especially game programmers. Those optimization flags can cause serious bugs and can be impossible to track down (because they appear at compile time). There are also library incompatibility problems, etc...
As a programmer it pains me some times to see people who don't code C++ for a living say things like "Oh they didn't turn the optimization compiler flags on? They are so lazy!" If it was really that easy they would have done it, especially game programmers. Those optimization flags can cause serious bugs and can be impossible to track down (because they appear at compile time). There are also library incompatibility problems, etc...

Posted 12/23/2011 04:44 PM   
[quote name='astonish' date='23 December 2011 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1324658640' post='1346417']
[/quote]
Well at some point, as a programmer, shouldn't it pain you to see Bethesda's *customers* fixing these problems for them? I mean if this were the first time, I might be willing to give them a pass, but the PC mod community has fixed countless issues on the PC version from low-res textures, terrible UI, to 4GB flag. You're not going to sit here and claim that was some big compatibility risk either are you? Literally flipping a bit to turn it on and we got it from the mod community nearly a full month before Bethesda silently rolled it out there with a patch. Its becoming more and more obvious that Bethesda is content to let the end-user QA their product with unofficial mods rather than spend the resources themselves. If Skyrim weren't such a good game and didn't have such a large fan-base, no one would even bother, which is the real shame of it.
[quote name='astonish' date='23 December 2011 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1324658640' post='1346417']

Well at some point, as a programmer, shouldn't it pain you to see Bethesda's *customers* fixing these problems for them? I mean if this were the first time, I might be willing to give them a pass, but the PC mod community has fixed countless issues on the PC version from low-res textures, terrible UI, to 4GB flag. You're not going to sit here and claim that was some big compatibility risk either are you? Literally flipping a bit to turn it on and we got it from the mod community nearly a full month before Bethesda silently rolled it out there with a patch. Its becoming more and more obvious that Bethesda is content to let the end-user QA their product with unofficial mods rather than spend the resources themselves. If Skyrim weren't such a good game and didn't have such a large fan-base, no one would even bother, which is the real shame of it.

Posted 12/24/2011 01:36 AM   
[quote name='Arioch' date='23 December 2011 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1324652543' post='1346379']
[/quote]
Yep, agreed, it really smooths FPS considerably in outdoor areas beyond the raw FPS gains you see in FRAPs. This is definitely a must-have mod along with Boris' 3D stereo fix.
[quote name='Arioch' date='23 December 2011 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1324652543' post='1346379']

Yep, agreed, it really smooths FPS considerably in outdoor areas beyond the raw FPS gains you see in FRAPs. This is definitely a must-have mod along with Boris' 3D stereo fix.

Posted 12/24/2011 01:38 AM   
[quote name='astonish' date='23 December 2011 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1324658640' post='1346417']
[/quote]

Sorry about that didnt meant to upset you with my ignorance.

I would be the first to tell you I do not know about C++

I just see no reason why we couldnt be given the choice at least to run optimized code, at our own risk.

And the fact that vast swathes of people are using this mod with great success, I see even further reason to call them lazy as they clearly did not test it! not even try!
[quote name='astonish' date='23 December 2011 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1324658640' post='1346417']

Sorry about that didnt meant to upset you with my ignorance.

I would be the first to tell you I do not know about C++

I just see no reason why we couldnt be given the choice at least to run optimized code, at our own risk.

And the fact that vast swathes of people are using this mod with great success, I see even further reason to call them lazy as they clearly did not test it! not even try!

Posted 12/24/2011 10:41 AM   
Bethesda release a pile of bugs every 4 years that get 99% fixed by the people who bought it. Nothing new.
Bethesda release a pile of bugs every 4 years that get 99% fixed by the people who bought it. Nothing new.

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z // i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz 1.28v // 2x4Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3-1600 // EVGA GTX 680 2GB REFERENCE Clock/PCB // Asus VE278Q 27" 1080p // LG Flatron W2242TQ 22" // Intel X25-V 40GB - WD Caviar Black 1TB // Corsair TX750w // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits

Posted 12/24/2011 11:32 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top