No Audio on HDMI with GTS250
Ok, so since I'm just a short while away from finding a dark corner in which to rock back and forth, I thought I'd give this a go...

Have a Desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit installed. Also have an Nvidia GTS250 which is connected via HDMI to a Philips monitor with built in speakers.

For some reason I just can't understand, there is no audio coming through the monitor via the HDMI cable connection.

It used to work fine connected to my old TV when I had Win7 32 bit installed, so I know the card is capable of it.
The monitor works fine when connected to my Alienware - can select playback devices and set the NVIDIA hd audio connection as default and it works.
On the PC however, it just doesn't. I thought it was a driver issue. I've tried installing most of the most recent drivers (including the recent beta) for the nvidia card, but it never updates the audio driver - It doesn't say Nvidia anywhere there, just generic High Definition Audio Controller - I tried downloading the realtec drivers for the MOBO, but while they download, they won't install - windows seems to prefer it's own generic driver.
I've installed again using a VIA High Definition Audio driver, but still, no sound.

The PC itself seems to indicate sound is playing, and doesn't see a problem. I also noticed, contrary to the laptop, when I check my sound options, go to playback devices and check the properties of the HD audio HDMI connection, it says under Supported Foirmat, "HDCP: Not supported" - i thought this might have been an issue but in the Nvidia control panel under HDCP status is says the card and display are hdcp capable.

Last but not least, I tried to manually install the Nvidia HD audio drivers (extracted from the program installation and manually installed), but I get a small yellow triangle in Device Manager with the line "Code 10: the drvice cannot start".

I honestly dunno where to go from here - any suggestions would be very much appreciated!! /spaz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':spaz:' />
Ok, so since I'm just a short while away from finding a dark corner in which to rock back and forth, I thought I'd give this a go...

Have a Desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit installed. Also have an Nvidia GTS250 which is connected via HDMI to a Philips monitor with built in speakers.

For some reason I just can't understand, there is no audio coming through the monitor via the HDMI cable connection.

It used to work fine connected to my old TV when I had Win7 32 bit installed, so I know the card is capable of it.

The monitor works fine when connected to my Alienware - can select playback devices and set the NVIDIA hd audio connection as default and it works.

On the PC however, it just doesn't. I thought it was a driver issue. I've tried installing most of the most recent drivers (including the recent beta) for the nvidia card, but it never updates the audio driver - It doesn't say Nvidia anywhere there, just generic High Definition Audio Controller - I tried downloading the realtec drivers for the MOBO, but while they download, they won't install - windows seems to prefer it's own generic driver.

I've installed again using a VIA High Definition Audio driver, but still, no sound.

The PC itself seems to indicate sound is playing, and doesn't see a problem. I also noticed, contrary to the laptop, when I check my sound options, go to playback devices and check the properties of the HD audio HDMI connection, it says under Supported Foirmat, "HDCP: Not supported" - i thought this might have been an issue but in the Nvidia control panel under HDCP status is says the card and display are hdcp capable.

Last but not least, I tried to manually install the Nvidia HD audio drivers (extracted from the program installation and manually installed), but I get a small yellow triangle in Device Manager with the line "Code 10: the drvice cannot start".

I honestly dunno where to go from here - any suggestions would be very much appreciated!! /spaz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':spaz:' />

Posted 12/21/2011 01:03 PM   
Right click the speaker icon in the tray.

Go to Playback Devices.

Right click Speakers.

Click "Set as Default Device"

This is if you are sending Video over HDMI but still using the speaker-out on the computer; otherwise do the same thing but click the HDMI device as default.

Go to Playback Devices.

Right click Speakers.

This is if you are sending Video over HDMI but still using the speaker-out on the computer; otherwise do the same thing but click the HDMI device as default.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 12/21/2011 04:08 PM   
[quote name='BobbyNow' date='21 December 2011 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1324483725' post='1345294']

Go to Playback Devices.

Right click Speakers.

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, but tried it already - the speakers are built into the monitor so i'm sending both audio and video via hdmi - setting the hdmi connection as default and the computer suggests sound is going through (little green equaliser bobbing up and down when i play music) but no sound... kind of goin crazazy... /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' /> /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
[quote name='BobbyNow' date='21 December 2011 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1324483725' post='1345294']

Go to Playback Devices.

Right click Speakers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but tried it already - the speakers are built into the monitor so i'm sending both audio and video via hdmi - setting the hdmi connection as default and the computer suggests sound is going through (little green equaliser bobbing up and down when i play music) but no sound... kind of goin crazazy... /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' /> /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Posted 12/21/2011 07:03 PM   
What is the brand/model of the monitor? Have you tried a different cable? Can you still get sound out of the analog (mini-phone jack) in the back of the PC if you switch playback devices? Have you tried updating the BIOS on the motherboard?
What is the brand/model of the monitor? Have you tried a different cable? Can you still get sound out of the analog (mini-phone jack) in the back of the PC if you switch playback devices? Have you tried updating the BIOS on the motherboard?

12GB System RAM

Posted 12/23/2011 05:07 AM   
It's been a while since XENO has said anything, but I've been having this problem as well for quite some time. I've been ignoring it, because I've just been connecting speakers to the motherboard(Asus P7P55 lx). Well, they died a couple days ago. I've tried the suggestion already stated. I set the HDMI audio(TV) as default to no avail. Just like xeno, my sound bar fluctuates accordingly when there is a video playing, but I don't hear it.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

P.S. I've bought my computer second-hand, personally built from somebody else. Since then, I've only added a new heatsink and fan, and 2 sticks of RAM, because the previous ones weren't on the Qualified Vendors List and gave me trouble. I've fixed a bunch of problems with this rig, and despite the additions most of them were free, because someone more knowledgeable than I was willing to lend a helping hand. Whether this situation is amended or not, it really is a genuine thing to help someone for no profit. I've come close many times to paying hundreds of dollars for fixes, yet the help was is out there.

Mobo: P7P55 lx
Proc: Intel i5 750
PSU: 850W
GPU: nVidia GTS 250
well ventilated, CPUID confirms the temps, HDD is 500gb if thats relevant or not.
It's been a while since XENO has said anything, but I've been having this problem as well for quite some time. I've been ignoring it, because I've just been connecting speakers to the motherboard(Asus P7P55 lx). Well, they died a couple days ago. I've tried the suggestion already stated. I set the HDMI audio(TV) as default to no avail. Just like xeno, my sound bar fluctuates accordingly when there is a video playing, but I don't hear it.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

P.S. I've bought my computer second-hand, personally built from somebody else. Since then, I've only added a new heatsink and fan, and 2 sticks of RAM, because the previous ones weren't on the Qualified Vendors List and gave me trouble. I've fixed a bunch of problems with this rig, and despite the additions most of them were free, because someone more knowledgeable than I was willing to lend a helping hand. Whether this situation is amended or not, it really is a genuine thing to help someone for no profit. I've come close many times to paying hundreds of dollars for fixes, yet the help was is out there.

Mobo: P7P55 lx

Proc: Intel i5 750

PSU: 850W

GPU: nVidia GTS 250

well ventilated, CPUID confirms the temps, HDD is 500gb if thats relevant or not.

Posted 01/19/2012 12:58 AM   
Both devices, I believe, must be HDCP compliant, check this in your Nvidia control panel.
Both devices, I believe, must be HDCP compliant, check this in your Nvidia control panel.

12GB System RAM

Posted 01/19/2012 05:53 AM   
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/taist_the_rainbow/HDCP.png

In nVidia control panel, it states that both are HDCP capable. I'm going to mess around with the computer's audio settings again to see if I can change any thing. I'll be sure to post back if I find a fix.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/taist_the_rainbow/HDCP.png

In nVidia control panel, it states that both are HDCP capable. I'm going to mess around with the computer's audio settings again to see if I can change any thing. I'll be sure to post back if I find a fix.

Posted 01/19/2012 11:12 AM   
Nothing. I kept right-clicking the sound icon on the bottom right, disabled and enabled TV sound, and eventually removed my audio driver. Twice. The driver automatically downloaded. Then I had no fluctuations on the audio bar, letting me know I had sound. I played a movie and I got no fluctuation. I played another and had sound fluctuations on the bar at the bottom right of my taskbar. I went back to the previous movie and had sound so i figure it just hadn't come up yet. I plug in a headset through the speaker jack on the MoBo and I can hear, but nothing out the TV.
Nothing. I kept right-clicking the sound icon on the bottom right, disabled and enabled TV sound, and eventually removed my audio driver. Twice. The driver automatically downloaded. Then I had no fluctuations on the audio bar, letting me know I had sound. I played a movie and I got no fluctuation. I played another and had sound fluctuations on the bar at the bottom right of my taskbar. I went back to the previous movie and had sound so i figure it just hadn't come up yet. I plug in a headset through the speaker jack on the MoBo and I can hear, but nothing out the TV.

Posted 01/19/2012 11:46 AM   
I have a GTS250 myself. Not all have an audio processor. If you want audio with HDMI you need to have a 2-pin digital audio cable between your motherboard/or soundcard and your GTS250. It's like a coax s/pdif that has to connect the audio to the hdmi stream. If your monitor in turn can handle the s/pdif stream you will have working audio over HDMI from the gfx-card :)

[url="http://www.overclock.net/t/1180980/audio-through-hdmi-on-my-gtx-260-w-xtreme-music"]audio-through-hdmi[/url]
I have a GTS250 myself. Not all have an audio processor. If you want audio with HDMI you need to have a 2-pin digital audio cable between your motherboard/or soundcard and your GTS250. It's like a coax s/pdif that has to connect the audio to the hdmi stream. If your monitor in turn can handle the s/pdif stream you will have working audio over HDMI from the gfx-card :)

audio-through-hdmi

Posted 01/20/2012 03:50 AM   
Thank you! Seems like a good bet. I'll be ordering one tonight. I'll be sure to let you know if it works.
Thank you! Seems like a good bet. I'll be ordering one tonight. I'll be sure to let you know if it works.

Posted 01/20/2012 05:12 AM   
Got the wire today. I referred to the Motherboard Manual(P7P55 lx) and connected the corresponding end into the spdif/GND jack. The other end, however is slightly smaller than the input jack on the graphics card(nVidia GTS250).

This shows the jack. The fan is connected to the white jack on the left. The white jack on the right is the only other jack on the card and is the one the manual directs the audio input to.
[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/taist_the_rainbow/IMG_1254.jpg[/IMG]

This shows the other end of the spdif cord I bought and it's smaller than the jack. I forced it in anyway. I can make it fit, but it clearly isn't made to.
[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/taist_the_rainbow/IMG_1257.jpg[/IMG]

So here's where am I at now. I turned off my computer to double check that the connections were snug and it was plugged in correctly on the motherboard. It is. I tested the sound on youtube and a movie, but I get nothing. Though every now and again I hear crackling and fuzz in the HDTV speakers. The fact that it's coming from the speakers gives me hope.

I'm going to try to reverse the spdif/GND end. Maybe it was incorrectly labeled. Any further help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Looking at the manual again, I guess although the one end of the spdif cord looks small, it is the correct cable. The picture shows the exact same end.
Got the wire today. I referred to the Motherboard Manual(P7P55 lx) and connected the corresponding end into the spdif/GND jack. The other end, however is slightly smaller than the input jack on the graphics card(nVidia GTS250).

This shows the jack. The fan is connected to the white jack on the left. The white jack on the right is the only other jack on the card and is the one the manual directs the audio input to.

This shows the other end of the spdif cord I bought and it's smaller than the jack. I forced it in anyway. I can make it fit, but it clearly isn't made to.

So here's where am I at now. I turned off my computer to double check that the connections were snug and it was plugged in correctly on the motherboard. It is. I tested the sound on youtube and a movie, but I get nothing. Though every now and again I hear crackling and fuzz in the HDTV speakers. The fact that it's coming from the speakers gives me hope.

I'm going to try to reverse the spdif/GND end. Maybe it was incorrectly labeled. Any further help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Looking at the manual again, I guess although the one end of the spdif cord looks small, it is the correct cable. The picture shows the exact same end.

Posted 01/25/2012 11:14 PM   
I apologize if I'm breaking any forum rules with double posting.

"WOW! It works!" is what I yelled, when I heard the windows jingle on startup. The cord WAS incorrectly labeled. spdif and GND(red & black) labels were reversed.

Thanks a lot BobbyNow and soulandheart especially. It's great to have sound working through HDMI. It clears up space and no more crappy speakers!
I apologize if I'm breaking any forum rules with double posting.

"WOW! It works!" is what I yelled, when I heard the windows jingle on startup. The cord WAS incorrectly labeled. spdif and GND(red & black) labels were reversed.

Thanks a lot BobbyNow and soulandheart especially. It's great to have sound working through HDMI. It clears up space and no more crappy speakers!

Posted 01/25/2012 11:48 PM   
hahaha :) I have done the exact same mistake back then. Had the cable plugged backwards and when it worked, had the same reaction as you. Good job :)
hahaha :) I have done the exact same mistake back then. Had the cable plugged backwards and when it worked, had the same reaction as you. Good job :)

Posted 01/26/2012 12:13 PM   
Good job!
Good job!

12GB System RAM

Posted 01/26/2012 04:15 PM   
Scroll To Top