USB Dropping when Span displays is enabled
Dear Nvidia,

I have the weird problem that my USB devices seem to lose power/connection for an instant on random occasions.
Especially when viewing movies full screen my USB devices are blinking like christmas lights.
I can even specifically trigger it by color picking a texture on a mesh in Autodesk Mudbox 2012 while painting.

Note that [b]this only happens when span displays with surround is enabled[/b]. The other SLI configurations are working just fine.
Giving the USB devices more power through the BIOS, disabling windows power saving features, even putting them after a powered USB hub doesn't fix the problem.
I even went as far as reinstalling windows 7. (Windows 8 Dev preview doesn't run games at all.)

My setup:
2x MSI 470GTX Twin Frozr (thus SLI)
Intel Core i5 760
4x kingston 2GB black edition
Asus Sabertooth 55i
Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro

At first I thought it was a bad motherboard, but after finding out that the problem was related to the "span displays with surround" setting, I'm not so sure anymore...
This wouldn't be such a big issue if the Nvidia profiles still existed, then I would just switch between "Maximize performance" and "Activate all Displays", now i'm forced to use "span displays with surround", otherwise i would need to enter the control panel everytime i wanted to play a game or work with all of my displays...
Dear Nvidia,

I have the weird problem that my USB devices seem to lose power/connection for an instant on random occasions.

Especially when viewing movies full screen my USB devices are blinking like christmas lights.

I can even specifically trigger it by color picking a texture on a mesh in Autodesk Mudbox 2012 while painting.

Note that this only happens when span displays with surround is enabled. The other SLI configurations are working just fine.

Giving the USB devices more power through the BIOS, disabling windows power saving features, even putting them after a powered USB hub doesn't fix the problem.

I even went as far as reinstalling windows 7. (Windows 8 Dev preview doesn't run games at all.)

My setup:

2x MSI 470GTX Twin Frozr (thus SLI)

Intel Core i5 760

4x kingston 2GB black edition

Asus Sabertooth 55i

Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro

At first I thought it was a bad motherboard, but after finding out that the problem was related to the "span displays with surround" setting, I'm not so sure anymore...

This wouldn't be such a big issue if the Nvidia profiles still existed, then I would just switch between "Maximize performance" and "Activate all Displays", now i'm forced to use "span displays with surround", otherwise i would need to enter the control panel everytime i wanted to play a game or work with all of my displays...

Posted 12/21/2011 12:21 PM   
can you increase the voltage to the south bridge slightly?
Could also be a driver issue, so I'd try earlier drivers to see if one works.
can you increase the voltage to the south bridge slightly?

Could also be a driver issue, so I'd try earlier drivers to see if one works.
Posted 12/21/2011 06:49 PM   
Im having the exact same problem. Tried to rollback to previous drivers, no luck.

This started overnight for some random reason, i have this setup for over an year with no issues until now.

Asus Maximus Formula
i7 860
4GB DDR3
SLI GTX470

If anyone knows a solution for this, please share.
Im having the exact same problem. Tried to rollback to previous drivers, no luck.

This started overnight for some random reason, i have this setup for over an year with no issues until now.

Asus Maximus Formula

i7 860

4GB DDR3

SLI GTX470

If anyone knows a solution for this, please share.

Posted 01/24/2012 11:23 PM   
Even though this thread is dead (apparently), i found the problem.

Enabling Aero stopped this issue.
Even though this thread is dead (apparently), i found the problem.

Enabling Aero stopped this issue.

Posted 02/10/2012 01:10 PM   
Glad you got it fixed. No joy for me though...
I did find that in the manual of my Sabertooth 55i board it states that a 1000W PSU is recommended to ensure system stability.
I currently have a 850W Coolermaster Silent Pro which should be able to run 3-way SLI configs, albeit maybe with less power sucking cards.
Power Usage should also only be around the 600W mark on full load for the entire system, (looking at SLI & 3-way SLI reviews of my card)
Glad you got it fixed. No joy for me though...

I did find that in the manual of my Sabertooth 55i board it states that a 1000W PSU is recommended to ensure system stability.

I currently have a 850W Coolermaster Silent Pro which should be able to run 3-way SLI configs, albeit maybe with less power sucking cards.

Power Usage should also only be around the 600W mark on full load for the entire system, (looking at SLI & 3-way SLI reviews of my card)

Posted 02/10/2012 04:04 PM   
1200W PS here and I get teh USB drops also
1200W PS here and I get teh USB drops also

Posted 04/23/2012 09:29 AM   
Scroll To Top