How to change to dedicated graphics card on laptop
I recently purchased a new MSI laptop. I want to switch from integrated to my dedicated card. I have searched the internet for days with no clear cut solution on how to do it RIGHT. I have gone to device manager and disabled the integrated card, the screen goes black and does not switch to my geforce GT 425m dedicated card. The Nvidia control panel does not give me the option to activate my dedicated card. I also browsed Nvidia drivers and when i do the Nvidia check to find me the proper driver i need it gives me a list, all of which state may not be compatible with GT425m plus many other cards? How can this be? I bought this laptop specifically because it had dedicated graphics. I am not worried about power consumption, I want the dedicated card to be in use, not dormant. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, please help me solve this problem.

I have a utility which gives me status on my Nvidia graphics card. It states Activity as====none. So I know its not being used.

I am thinking of sending out a prize to whomever can solve this issue for me, thats how bad I want it fixed{love learning about pc, dont want to pay someone to do it for me)
I recently purchased a new MSI laptop. I want to switch from integrated to my dedicated card. I have searched the internet for days with no clear cut solution on how to do it RIGHT. I have gone to device manager and disabled the integrated card, the screen goes black and does not switch to my geforce GT 425m dedicated card. The Nvidia control panel does not give me the option to activate my dedicated card. I also browsed Nvidia drivers and when i do the Nvidia check to find me the proper driver i need it gives me a list, all of which state may not be compatible with GT425m plus many other cards? How can this be? I bought this laptop specifically because it had dedicated graphics. I am not worried about power consumption, I want the dedicated card to be in use, not dormant. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, please help me solve this problem.

I have a utility which gives me status on my Nvidia graphics card. It states Activity as====none. So I know its not being used.

I am thinking of sending out a prize to whomever can solve this issue for me, thats how bad I want it fixed{love learning about pc, dont want to pay someone to do it for me)

Posted 12/17/2011 11:46 PM   
As far as I know, Optimus does not allow you to manually switch from one to the other. However, in the nvidia control panel, you can set your nvidia high performance GPU as the default (rather than integrated graphics). That's the closest you can get, to the best of my knowledge.
Sorry!
As far as I know, Optimus does not allow you to manually switch from one to the other. However, in the nvidia control panel, you can set your nvidia high performance GPU as the default (rather than integrated graphics). That's the closest you can get, to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry!

Posted 12/30/2011 01:38 PM   
Of course, you can, but you should install moded BIOS and from then you should select the other video card as "primary".
Of course, you can, but you should install moded BIOS and from then you should select the other video card as "primary".

Posted 01/02/2012 05:44 PM   
Scroll To Top