Build boot raid via copy using Acronis disk director
What I have:

Gigabyte GA-M6P-S3 motherboard Utilizing GeForce 6100/nForce 430

I have downloaded from Gigabyte their copy of the MCP61 Raid drivers version 15.56 Two files.

Windows XP latest

[i][b]The standard procedure calls for loading and build the XP operating system plus loading all of my software onto the freshly built and activated bootable Raid 1 pair.[/b][/i]

[b]What I'm hoping to do instead.[/b]

1. I want to build a basic XP boot disk (1 physical containing 2 logical drives) with all my software on it. It will be operable as a normal non Raid volume but with the Raid drivers present.

2. Then I intend to build a Raid 1 bootable pair on the machine using the Raid Bios utility per instructions from the: [b]NVIDIA ForceWare Software MediaShield User’s Guide Version 3.1[/b]

3. Then I want to use [b]Acronis disk director[/b] to copy from the XP boot disk to the Raid 1 bootable pair. I saw some notes of caution about using Ghost which I also have.

Will this be completely kosher or is there something else I will need to do. Or perhaps it won't work properly?

I would like to retain a non Raid operable boot disk as the basis for recovery.

Thanks for any thoughts or help.
What I have:

Gigabyte GA-M6P-S3 motherboard Utilizing GeForce 6100/nForce 430

I have downloaded from Gigabyte their copy of the MCP61 Raid drivers version 15.56 Two files.

Windows XP latest

The standard procedure calls for loading and build the XP operating system plus loading all of my software onto the freshly built and activated bootable Raid 1 pair.

What I'm hoping to do instead.

1. I want to build a basic XP boot disk (1 physical containing 2 logical drives) with all my software on it. It will be operable as a normal non Raid volume but with the Raid drivers present.

2. Then I intend to build a Raid 1 bootable pair on the machine using the Raid Bios utility per instructions from the: NVIDIA ForceWare Software MediaShield User’s Guide Version 3.1

3. Then I want to use Acronis disk director to copy from the XP boot disk to the Raid 1 bootable pair. I saw some notes of caution about using Ghost which I also have.

Will this be completely kosher or is there something else I will need to do. Or perhaps it won't work properly?

I would like to retain a non Raid operable boot disk as the basis for recovery.

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Posted 12/06/2011 09:50 PM   
Scroll To Top