nividia driver randomly crashes Photoshop on Win7x64
Just bought a brandnew GTX 560Ti and installed with the latest drivers (I had a Radeon 4350 before)on my Win7 x64.
Now I randomly have to see Photoshop CS4 crash with the message "[i]Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered[/i]".

After Googling I learned that this has to be some kind of conflict with OpenGL. I disabled that and had no more crashes since but of course I also lost the acceleration featured of CS4.
Will this be fixed in a new driver release? Does anyone know the last driver release where this crash didn't happen?
Since I am not deep into gaming it wouldn't be a problem to install an older driver but the best way of course would be a fix.
Any hints?

P.S.: I searched this forum and found only one similar mentioning in the thread
"[url=http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=207666&st=740&p=1336187]280.26 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered[/url]"
Since I have no idea what TDR's are or if that what's discussed there really matches my problem I place this as a new thread.
Just bought a brandnew GTX 560Ti and installed with the latest drivers (I had a Radeon 4350 before)on my Win7 x64.

Now I randomly have to see Photoshop CS4 crash with the message "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

After Googling I learned that this has to be some kind of conflict with OpenGL. I disabled that and had no more crashes since but of course I also lost the acceleration featured of CS4.

Will this be fixed in a new driver release? Does anyone know the last driver release where this crash didn't happen?

Since I am not deep into gaming it wouldn't be a problem to install an older driver but the best way of course would be a fix.

Any hints?

P.S.: I searched this forum and found only one similar mentioning in the thread

"280.26 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Since I have no idea what TDR's are or if that what's discussed there really matches my problem I place this as a new thread.

Posted 12/06/2011 01:24 PM   
TDR is basically the driver crashing. A lot of people have been experiencing TDRs with browsing and simple tasks. I have the same problem with my gtx580 and premiere pro that you do. The openGL or nvidia driver crashes anytime the GPU actually gets going. I think my issue is simply a defective card, but I won't know until a different card is tested. For now your best bet is to disable the acceleration or try clean installs of various drivers.

Does the problem occur with anything that uses openGl or taxes the gpu? Ie: games or benchmarking tools
TDR is basically the driver crashing. A lot of people have been experiencing TDRs with browsing and simple tasks. I have the same problem with my gtx580 and premiere pro that you do. The openGL or nvidia driver crashes anytime the GPU actually gets going. I think my issue is simply a defective card, but I won't know until a different card is tested. For now your best bet is to disable the acceleration or try clean installs of various drivers.

Does the problem occur with anything that uses openGl or taxes the gpu? Ie: games or benchmarking tools

Posted 12/06/2011 05:26 PM   
I just ran the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with DirectX 11 and OpenGL on high settings for a longer time.
The driver didn't crash, everything was ok even with OpenGL.

I had this crashes on Photoshop only since I own this card.
I just ran the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with DirectX 11 and OpenGL on high settings for a longer time.

The driver didn't crash, everything was ok even with OpenGL.

I had this crashes on Photoshop only since I own this card.

Posted 12/06/2011 06:16 PM   
my entire office got this problem too! (specs @ signature) /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' /> and we do that for a living. sometimes the PSDs are damaged after a TDR (i don't know why)... all the work is gone. /down.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':down:' />

you can try driver version 275.33 /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> i hope that helps.

cheers,
cris
my entire office got this problem too! (specs @ signature) /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' /> and we do that for a living. sometimes the PSDs are damaged after a TDR (i don't know why)... all the work is gone. /down.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':down:' />

you can try driver version 275.33 /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> i hope that helps.

cheers,

cris

Graphics: MSI N580GTX Lightning XE 3GB (Factory OC)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 (BIOS VERSION F5)

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance

HDD: Corsair Force GT 120GB (Firmware 1.3.3)

PSU: Corsair Professional Seriesâ„¢ Gold AX850

Display: Samsung SyncMaster T260HD

Audio: OnBoard Realtek ALC889

Got TDRs in:

Adobe Photoshop - when i try to zoom in/out the canvas (OpenGL acceleration on). Also happens with our workstations in the office. =(

Posted 12/07/2011 02:14 AM   
Hi,

I bought a Geforce 460 SE less than a year ago, the card was faulty, sent back, got a new one. Since then, I have been getting the same crashes running Gimp, Blender, Photoshop, Alien Arena or others and just random mainly but same issue as original poster above. I updated the drivers a while back, had the latest which stopped the crashing but all mentioned programs would function very slow. I got rid of the drivers, let windows install them, it improved dramatically. However, it still crashes sometimes as has something to do with opengl. So I really don't have a question, but hoping if there is an answer, it'll show here.
Hi,

I bought a Geforce 460 SE less than a year ago, the card was faulty, sent back, got a new one. Since then, I have been getting the same crashes running Gimp, Blender, Photoshop, Alien Arena or others and just random mainly but same issue as original poster above. I updated the drivers a while back, had the latest which stopped the crashing but all mentioned programs would function very slow. I got rid of the drivers, let windows install them, it improved dramatically. However, it still crashes sometimes as has something to do with opengl. So I really don't have a question, but hoping if there is an answer, it'll show here.

Posted 12/11/2011 07:42 AM   
Thanks cris, installed 275.33 after your tip and had no crashes since then. /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
Thanks cris, installed 275.33 after your tip and had no crashes since then. /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Posted 12/11/2011 11:55 AM   
Scroll To Top