Powerpc G5 or power mac G5 Hard-Drive Format
So I got This Mac for $45 at my schools auction. The only problem is that they took out the hard drive. I have another hard-drive in it but it was formatted on Windows 7. Will this hard-drive work in it? Also I'm not a mac head, I'm sorry for the stupid question but how can i tell if i have a power mac G5 or a powerPc G5?

(if this is the wrong place to put this please tell me)
So I got This Mac for $45 at my schools auction. The only problem is that they took out the hard drive. I have another hard-drive in it but it was formatted on Windows 7. Will this hard-drive work in it? Also I'm not a mac head, I'm sorry for the stupid question but how can i tell if i have a power mac G5 or a powerPc G5?

(if this is the wrong place to put this please tell me)

Posted 12/05/2011 03:21 PM   
All G5 Apple Tower Desktops are PowerMac/Mac Pro with 5th gen PPC CPUs.

As for getting a Hard Drive, you'll need to consult Apple for a list of IDE hard drives with PPC Mac support. You'll also need to either buy OSX 10.4 (Apple still sells it) or install a PPC Linux distribution and then run MacOS applications via MacOnLinux.

The last version of MS Office for PPC was 2004, and will male that Mac a decent everyday business center. Web browsing will be inferior though since Adobe has dropped Flashplayer support for non x86 systems. If you're thinking of running older art apps you'd be better served by a newer PC since PPC is so out of date now. PPC was superior when it was produced, but it's been long enough that it's outrun by even inexpensive PCs now.

All G5 Apple Tower Desktops are PowerMac/Mac Pro with 5th gen PPC CPUs.

As for getting a Hard Drive, you'll need to consult Apple for a list of IDE hard drives with PPC Mac support. You'll also need to either buy OSX 10.4 (Apple still sells it) or install a PPC Linux distribution and then run MacOS applications via MacOnLinux.

The last version of MS Office for PPC was 2004, and will male that Mac a decent everyday business center. Web browsing will be inferior though since Adobe has dropped Flashplayer support for non x86 systems. If you're thinking of running older art apps you'd be better served by a newer PC since PPC is so out of date now. PPC was superior when it was produced, but it's been long enough that it's outrun by even inexpensive PCs now.

Done.

Posted 12/05/2011 06:25 PM   
Scroll To Top