Custom resolution/timing under Ubuntu - Acer Revo 3610 XBMC Live through receiver
Hi all,

I'm trying to find some information about how to get my system running correctly. Initially I had XBMC running on Windows 7 x64 on the Acer Revo 3610. For the 1920x1280 resolution the screen would flicker as the picture was out of sync. This was connected using HDMI through a Pioneer receiver and finally to the LG projector. If I bypassed the receiver it worked flawlessly. I fixed the issue by going into the NVidia Control Panel and setting custom resolution timing. The timings are listed as follows:
Automatic
GTF
DMT
CVT
CVT reduced blank
Manual

I'm not exactly sure which of the above timings worked for me but I believe it was DMT. Unfortunately I have since installed XBMC Live which uses Ubuntu so to check this setting I would have to restore my backup first. I am trying not to do this, obviously.

So now under Ubuntu I am having exactly the same problem with the 1920x1080p resolution. Bypassing the receiver makes it work correctly. In searching for a solution I found some posts where people edit their xorg.conf file and add the custom resolutions but I tried that and still have the same problem. I believe the issue is that the custom timing I was using under Windows had a different setting that I am not finding in Ubuntu. Also, I am not very knowledgable in Ubuntu so I'm having a hard time finding more information about this. Does anyone know how to set these custom timings in more detail? Is there a utility or is there more advanced settings that I can specify in my "ModeLine" that would mimic the above custom timings?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi all,

I'm trying to find some information about how to get my system running correctly. Initially I had XBMC running on Windows 7 x64 on the Acer Revo 3610. For the 1920x1280 resolution the screen would flicker as the picture was out of sync. This was connected using HDMI through a Pioneer receiver and finally to the LG projector. If I bypassed the receiver it worked flawlessly. I fixed the issue by going into the NVidia Control Panel and setting custom resolution timing. The timings are listed as follows:

Automatic

GTF

DMT

CVT

CVT reduced blank

Manual

I'm not exactly sure which of the above timings worked for me but I believe it was DMT. Unfortunately I have since installed XBMC Live which uses Ubuntu so to check this setting I would have to restore my backup first. I am trying not to do this, obviously.

So now under Ubuntu I am having exactly the same problem with the 1920x1080p resolution. Bypassing the receiver makes it work correctly. In searching for a solution I found some posts where people edit their xorg.conf file and add the custom resolutions but I tried that and still have the same problem. I believe the issue is that the custom timing I was using under Windows had a different setting that I am not finding in Ubuntu. Also, I am not very knowledgable in Ubuntu so I'm having a hard time finding more information about this. Does anyone know how to set these custom timings in more detail? Is there a utility or is there more advanced settings that I can specify in my "ModeLine" that would mimic the above custom timings?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Posted 12/04/2011 10:09 PM   
Just a little more information that I see now and remember happened in Windows as well.

1920x1080 worked at refresh rates of 24Hz and 50Hz but not at 60Hz. It is at 60Hz that I was trying to get this going and on Windows it was fixed with the custom timing. Now I would like to get it to work under Ubuntu as well.
Just a little more information that I see now and remember happened in Windows as well.

1920x1080 worked at refresh rates of 24Hz and 50Hz but not at 60Hz. It is at 60Hz that I was trying to get this going and on Windows it was fixed with the custom timing. Now I would like to get it to work under Ubuntu as well.

Posted 12/04/2011 10:43 PM   
Scroll To Top