Nvidia 3D Vision / 3DTV Play on Nvidia ION 2 This is a topic regarding the ongoing improvements for
This year, my wife demanded I get rid of my power tower and now that I have children and mainly deal with sysadmin stuff, I don't need as much power and GPU performance as before. This is becoming increasingly evident with cloud computing and mobile/tablet computers. After much thought, I bought an Acer Aspire R3700 with NVIDIA® GT218-ION Graphics and installed NVIDIA® 3DTV Play connected to the Acer HS244HQbmii which comes with their 3D active shutter glasses. While I can only watch 720P 3D (games and video) - my 3D camera, FujiFilm W3 won't record anything greater than this anyway. I can also watch Blu-Ray 3D at 1080p which is also cool and I can view 3D images of my child which was the main reason. However, you can run Nvidia 3D Vision with the kit but you are limited to Nvidia 3D Vision Ready projectors with native resolutions on XGA or WXGA. There are some other options which have HDMI 1.4a but I can't use Nvidia 3D Vision IR or glasses with these. We used this for XGA 3D on images and business videos in our conference room in downtown Addison, Texas with the Fujifilm camera and it was more than impressive for 3D business use with the Nvidia 3D Pro Kit.

The main reason for this post is that I had extreme difficulty in getting this functionality to work. Even though my monitor has HDMI 1.4a ports - IT'S NOT 3DTV PLAY READY - or at least according to Nvidia! Acer states that it is (at least through their rep but not marketing) and obviously I have made this work perfectly fine with a few minor issues. If Nvidia endorses the 27" larger model - why not at least allow the HS244HQ to be 3DTV Play natively? I believe this is a business decision that Acer and Nvidia have agreed on to ensure that consumer demand for higher performance computers will not be impacted. Here's the support thread from the last Nvidia Support representative that tried to inform me that I didn't know what I was talking about, looking at the wrong type of 3D or that it just plain doesn't work. Please revise the new Nvidia GeForce/ION driver BETA to also allow 3DTV Play to work with HS244HQ OEM drivers instead of the EDID workaround. Thank you! (See the current support thread below)
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 12/01/2011 11:30 AM Not true - Acer Aspire R3700 does work with Acer HS244HQ and in 3DTV Play mode using Acer 3D active shutter glasses (included) with two 3D resolutions (1920x1080p@24Hz or 1280x720p@60Hz).

The Acer Aspire R3700 also works with Acer X1261P projector and 3D Vision Kit in 3D Vision 120Hz mode but only with native XGA resolution (1024x768).

This computer has been tested with multiple Nvidia 3D Vision ready devices as well as this monitor which is HDMI 1.4a compliant and stereo 3D works for most Nvidia 3D Vision compatible games, stereo images from Nvidia 3D Live and Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3 10 MP Digital Camera, as well as YouTube 3D and Blu-Ray 3D. I am not using Anaglyph passive or polarized glasses but Acer 3D active shutter glasses (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/series/monitor-3d). You are incorrect to inform me that this does not function correctly as I have attached documentation to support my claim. While I do know that Acer HS244HQ is not listed as 3D Vision compatible (due to lack of dual-link DVI) it is fully compatible when used with VESA connection and will also work with 3DTV Play through HDMI 1.4a input (however I must install NVIDIA-UN-3DTV.inf to force 3D mode and 720p 3D HD resolution incorrectly states 59Hz not 60Hz even when monitor driver is updated to OEM driver (http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3461).

All of these were done images and tests were performed with an Acer Aspire R3700 (http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3272) and Acer HS244HQ using OEM drivers upgraded to the NVIDIA Unsupported EDID listed in Nvidia forums here (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194742). Please inquire if you wish to be sent a link to view the eight screen captures I have taken along with the DXDIAG data and both monitor driver files.

Please forward this request to fix these compatibility issues with Acer Asipre R3700 and Acer HS244HQ with 3DTV Play natively as there is no issues with this other than performance related which is expected for a lower-end Media PC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response Srivathsa via Email 11/25/2011 10:14 AM Hello Tete,

I understand your concern regarding the 3D TVPlay software,

But as informed, Ion 2 chipset does not even support 3D TVPlay software. With this chipset on the laptop, we cannot expect Stereoscopic 3D Vision on the laptop. Please see the web link below:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

However as you claim, you have the 3D display with two images rendered on the Acer monitor. It may be a Anaglyph 3D. Also, we cannot expect to get the Stereoscopic 3D options itself on the Acer Aspire R3700 laptop.

I apologize for the inconvenience. this is not the true 3D and NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D with the 3D Vision or 3D TV Play software are not supported on this laptop.

Please feel free to contact us for any further clarifications.

Best regards,
Srivathsa,
NVIDIA Customer Care
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Email 11/25/2011 08:45 AM According to manufacturer rep at Acer and through Windows dxdiag I see this
computer has

NVIDIA® GT218-ION Graphics

This is what I am referring to - NVIDIA® 3DTV Play Capable - not 3D Vision
specifically. This Acer Aspire R3700 has this chipset with HDMI 1.4a
connector and is currently working in 3DTV Play but with an Unsupport EDID
driver at 59Hz. This Acer monitor - HS244HQ has two HDMI 1.4a connectors
and works fine with its own driver and will display two 3D modes in the
Nvidia Control Panel but will not enter 3DTV Play mode and instead renders
this error originally attached. As I am using 3DTV Play now with no issues,
except with the wrong driver - it is apparent that this monitor Acer
HS244HQ and driver should be allowed to function in 3D mode natively.

Please fix this with the next Nvidia driver release. Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Nvidia Customer Care <
nvidia@mailca.custhelp.com> wrote:

> **
> Response Srivathsa via Email 11/22/2011 09:48 AM Hello Tete,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Srivathsa, assisting you with the issue that you are experiencing. First I apologize for the support request being unexpectedly delayed.

I understand from your email that you are unable to use 3D vision with the Acer Aspire Revo R3700 which has NVIDIA Ion 2 chipset on it.

I apologize Ion 2 chipset is unfortunately not supported with the 3D Vision. Please see the list of graphic cards that works with the NVIDIA 3D Vision kit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please try connecting the 3D Vision kit and the 3D ready display to a different computer with the 3D Vision supported graphic card and try configuring 3D. It may work on that.

Best regards,
Srivathsa.
NVIDIA Customer Care
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 11/21/2011 10:25 AM Okay, so I am clarifying the question and issue here. I realize that Nvidia 3D Vision and Nvidia 3DPlay are two different things. It appears however that for owners of Nvidia 3D Vision, they are entitled to a free upgrade to 3DPlay which shows as a license installed in the Nvidia Control Panel. I do see that in order to use 3D Vision, you need to output 120Hz directly and that only DVI-D will handle this but that the remainder of the industry has decided that HDMI is easier to use and that HDMI 1.4a when used with 3D only does 720p in 60Hz and 1080p in 24Hz.

I have a Fujifilm W3 camera which takes 3D images and 3D 720p video. I have an Acer Aspire R3700 with an Intel D525 Dual-Core Atom and Nvidia ION 2 512MB DDR3 GPU. This has only HDMI and VGA video out. HDMI can display 1.4a according to Acer representative at CDW for this model. I also have an Acer HS244HQ monitor with OEM 3D active shutter glasses that has one VGA and two HDMI 1.4a inputs. What I cannot understand is - I have installed my monitor OEM specific driver (which I know is not tested for Nvidia 3D Vision (due to lack of DVI-D) (but why the larger 27 inch model?) however this does have two HDMI 1.4a 3D inputs for game consoles and Blu-ray players. Why can I not use Nvidia 3DPlay to see my new replacement monitor in HDMI 3D? Why does 3DPlay still say I am in trial mode if I also own a 3D Vision Kit? I had the emmiter plugged in at first during the install of 3DPlay but now realize that my monitor has the OEM one instead for HDMI usage.

I can get the GeForce Vision Wizard to start > It does show that I need a 3D TV now and glasses from my monitor to begin. The Nvidia Control Panel indicates that I am using the 720p 3D 60Hz mode and the 1080p 3D 24Hz mode is the only other 3D mode listed. When I choose next - my monitor flashes the OEM Acer 3D notification on the monitor and my glasses flash but then receive the odd GeForce 3D Vision Setup Wizard Error when I expect a 3D success instead. The error is the same even when I upgraded to the current 285.62 driver (happened earlier because it did not detect my monitor 3D modes or driver but allowed me to check 3D mode).

Error in Stereo Driver, NvAPI_Stereo_IsActivated() returned 0 after stereo was enabled by default with Settings->setDefaultStartupMode(true).

Nvidia come on here - help your loyal customer out here? Auto-Response 11/19/2011 01:33 PM The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)

Title: No HDMI audio when graphics card connected to a Philips HDTV
Link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2484

Title: Why don't I have 1080p modes when my HDTV support up to 1080p?
Link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2585 Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 11/19/2011 01:33 PM Hello - I recently purchased Fujifilm W3 3D camera, an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 with Nvidia ION 2 and HDMI OUT along with an Acer HS244HQbmii 3D 1.4 HDMI 3D monitor with glasses. I am having issues with viewing 3D images of our eight month old son and also viewing images and movies on 3DVisionLive.com

It is odd but I have tried both the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit and glasses along with the glasses that came with the monitor. I originally removed the OEM drivers from Nvidia, installed the Acer specific 3D monitor drivers and reinstalled the Full CD which came with the 3D Vision Kit. This seems to not allow me to choose a 3D mode but is checked. While I am able to complete the setup I get the same error at the end and the wizard will not detect my monitor either way. I also tried upgrading to the newer 285.62 driver and while 3D mode is on and the 3D resolutions are now available - I cannot view any 3D content. Furthermore, what I did notice is that once the monitor goes into 3D mode - it seems as if one shutter is dark while the other is light during the entire 3D movie. Running the setup wizard results in this error everytime but Acer states that this should work. I even tried 3D Play and installed it in trial mode because I cannot figure out how to use it! Would you be kind to help me out here so I can see my child's most important moments?
This year, my wife demanded I get rid of my power tower and now that I have children and mainly deal with sysadmin stuff, I don't need as much power and GPU performance as before. This is becoming increasingly evident with cloud computing and mobile/tablet computers. After much thought, I bought an Acer Aspire R3700 with NVIDIA® GT218-ION Graphics and installed NVIDIA® 3DTV Play connected to the Acer HS244HQbmii which comes with their 3D active shutter glasses. While I can only watch 720P 3D (games and video) - my 3D camera, FujiFilm W3 won't record anything greater than this anyway. I can also watch Blu-Ray 3D at 1080p which is also cool and I can view 3D images of my child which was the main reason. However, you can run Nvidia 3D Vision with the kit but you are limited to Nvidia 3D Vision Ready projectors with native resolutions on XGA or WXGA. There are some other options which have HDMI 1.4a but I can't use Nvidia 3D Vision IR or glasses with these. We used this for XGA 3D on images and business videos in our conference room in downtown Addison, Texas with the Fujifilm camera and it was more than impressive for 3D business use with the Nvidia 3D Pro Kit.

The main reason for this post is that I had extreme difficulty in getting this functionality to work. Even though my monitor has HDMI 1.4a ports - IT'S NOT 3DTV PLAY READY - or at least according to Nvidia! Acer states that it is (at least through their rep but not marketing) and obviously I have made this work perfectly fine with a few minor issues. If Nvidia endorses the 27" larger model - why not at least allow the HS244HQ to be 3DTV Play natively? I believe this is a business decision that Acer and Nvidia have agreed on to ensure that consumer demand for higher performance computers will not be impacted. Here's the support thread from the last Nvidia Support representative that tried to inform me that I didn't know what I was talking about, looking at the wrong type of 3D or that it just plain doesn't work. Please revise the new Nvidia GeForce/ION driver BETA to also allow 3DTV Play to work with HS244HQ OEM drivers instead of the EDID workaround. Thank you! (See the current support thread below)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 12/01/2011 11:30 AM Not true - Acer Aspire R3700 does work with Acer HS244HQ and in 3DTV Play mode using Acer 3D active shutter glasses (included) with two 3D resolutions (1920x1080p@24Hz or 1280x720p@60Hz).

The Acer Aspire R3700 also works with Acer X1261P projector and 3D Vision Kit in 3D Vision 120Hz mode but only with native XGA resolution (1024x768).

This computer has been tested with multiple Nvidia 3D Vision ready devices as well as this monitor which is HDMI 1.4a compliant and stereo 3D works for most Nvidia 3D Vision compatible games, stereo images from Nvidia 3D Live and Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3 10 MP Digital Camera, as well as YouTube 3D and Blu-Ray 3D. I am not using Anaglyph passive or polarized glasses but Acer 3D active shutter glasses (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/series/monitor-3d). You are incorrect to inform me that this does not function correctly as I have attached documentation to support my claim. While I do know that Acer HS244HQ is not listed as 3D Vision compatible (due to lack of dual-link DVI) it is fully compatible when used with VESA connection and will also work with 3DTV Play through HDMI 1.4a input (however I must install NVIDIA-UN-3DTV.inf to force 3D mode and 720p 3D HD resolution incorrectly states 59Hz not 60Hz even when monitor driver is updated to OEM driver (http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3461).

All of these were done images and tests were performed with an Acer Aspire R3700 (http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3272) and Acer HS244HQ using OEM drivers upgraded to the NVIDIA Unsupported EDID listed in Nvidia forums here (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194742). Please inquire if you wish to be sent a link to view the eight screen captures I have taken along with the DXDIAG data and both monitor driver files.

Please forward this request to fix these compatibility issues with Acer Asipre R3700 and Acer HS244HQ with 3DTV Play natively as there is no issues with this other than performance related which is expected for a lower-end Media PC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Srivathsa via Email 11/25/2011 10:14 AM Hello Tete,

I understand your concern regarding the 3D TVPlay software,

But as informed, Ion 2 chipset does not even support 3D TVPlay software. With this chipset on the laptop, we cannot expect Stereoscopic 3D Vision on the laptop. Please see the web link below:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

However as you claim, you have the 3D display with two images rendered on the Acer monitor. It may be a Anaglyph 3D. Also, we cannot expect to get the Stereoscopic 3D options itself on the Acer Aspire R3700 laptop.

I apologize for the inconvenience. this is not the true 3D and NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D with the 3D Vision or 3D TV Play software are not supported on this laptop.

Best regards,

Srivathsa,

NVIDIA Customer Care

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Email 11/25/2011 08:45 AM According to manufacturer rep at Acer and through Windows dxdiag I see this

computer has

NVIDIA® GT218-ION Graphics

This is what I am referring to - NVIDIA® 3DTV Play Capable - not 3D Vision

specifically. This Acer Aspire R3700 has this chipset with HDMI 1.4a

connector and is currently working in 3DTV Play but with an Unsupport EDID

driver at 59Hz. This Acer monitor - HS244HQ has two HDMI 1.4a connectors

and works fine with its own driver and will display two 3D modes in the

Nvidia Control Panel but will not enter 3DTV Play mode and instead renders

this error originally attached. As I am using 3DTV Play now with no issues,

except with the wrong driver - it is apparent that this monitor Acer

HS244HQ and driver should be allowed to function in 3D mode natively.

Please fix this with the next Nvidia driver release. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Nvidia Customer Care <

nvidia@mailca.custhelp.com> wrote:

> **

> Response Srivathsa via Email 11/22/2011 09:48 AM Hello Tete,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Srivathsa, assisting you with the issue that you are experiencing. First I apologize for the support request being unexpectedly delayed.

I understand from your email that you are unable to use 3D vision with the Acer Aspire Revo R3700 which has NVIDIA Ion 2 chipset on it.

I apologize Ion 2 chipset is unfortunately not supported with the 3D Vision. Please see the list of graphic cards that works with the NVIDIA 3D Vision kit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please try connecting the 3D Vision kit and the 3D ready display to a different computer with the 3D Vision supported graphic card and try configuring 3D. It may work on that.

Best regards,

Srivathsa.

NVIDIA Customer Care

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 11/21/2011 10:25 AM Okay, so I am clarifying the question and issue here. I realize that Nvidia 3D Vision and Nvidia 3DPlay are two different things. It appears however that for owners of Nvidia 3D Vision, they are entitled to a free upgrade to 3DPlay which shows as a license installed in the Nvidia Control Panel. I do see that in order to use 3D Vision, you need to output 120Hz directly and that only DVI-D will handle this but that the remainder of the industry has decided that HDMI is easier to use and that HDMI 1.4a when used with 3D only does 720p in 60Hz and 1080p in 24Hz.

I have a Fujifilm W3 camera which takes 3D images and 3D 720p video. I have an Acer Aspire R3700 with an Intel D525 Dual-Core Atom and Nvidia ION 2 512MB DDR3 GPU. This has only HDMI and VGA video out. HDMI can display 1.4a according to Acer representative at CDW for this model. I also have an Acer HS244HQ monitor with OEM 3D active shutter glasses that has one VGA and two HDMI 1.4a inputs. What I cannot understand is - I have installed my monitor OEM specific driver (which I know is not tested for Nvidia 3D Vision (due to lack of DVI-D) (but why the larger 27 inch model?) however this does have two HDMI 1.4a 3D inputs for game consoles and Blu-ray players. Why can I not use Nvidia 3DPlay to see my new replacement monitor in HDMI 3D? Why does 3DPlay still say I am in trial mode if I also own a 3D Vision Kit? I had the emmiter plugged in at first during the install of 3DPlay but now realize that my monitor has the OEM one instead for HDMI usage.

I can get the GeForce Vision Wizard to start > It does show that I need a 3D TV now and glasses from my monitor to begin. The Nvidia Control Panel indicates that I am using the 720p 3D 60Hz mode and the 1080p 3D 24Hz mode is the only other 3D mode listed. When I choose next - my monitor flashes the OEM Acer 3D notification on the monitor and my glasses flash but then receive the odd GeForce 3D Vision Setup Wizard Error when I expect a 3D success instead. The error is the same even when I upgraded to the current 285.62 driver (happened earlier because it did not detect my monitor 3D modes or driver but allowed me to check 3D mode).

Error in Stereo Driver, NvAPI_Stereo_IsActivated() returned 0 after stereo was enabled by default with Settings->setDefaultStartupMode(true).

Nvidia come on here - help your loyal customer out here? Auto-Response 11/19/2011 01:33 PM The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)

Title: No HDMI audio when graphics card connected to a Philips HDTV

Link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2484

Title: Why don't I have 1080p modes when my HDTV support up to 1080p?

Link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2585 Customer Tate Concepts via CSS Web 11/19/2011 01:33 PM Hello - I recently purchased Fujifilm W3 3D camera, an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 with Nvidia ION 2 and HDMI OUT along with an Acer HS244HQbmii 3D 1.4 HDMI 3D monitor with glasses. I am having issues with viewing 3D images of our eight month old son and also viewing images and movies on 3DVisionLive.com

It is odd but I have tried both the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit and glasses along with the glasses that came with the monitor. I originally removed the OEM drivers from Nvidia, installed the Acer specific 3D monitor drivers and reinstalled the Full CD which came with the 3D Vision Kit. This seems to not allow me to choose a 3D mode but is checked. While I am able to complete the setup I get the same error at the end and the wizard will not detect my monitor either way. I also tried upgrading to the newer 285.62 driver and while 3D mode is on and the 3D resolutions are now available - I cannot view any 3D content. Furthermore, what I did notice is that once the monitor goes into 3D mode - it seems as if one shutter is dark while the other is light during the entire 3D movie. Running the setup wizard results in this error everytime but Acer states that this should work. I even tried 3D Play and installed it in trial mode because I cannot figure out how to use it! Would you be kind to help me out here so I can see my child's most important moments?

Posted 12/03/2011 04:07 PM   
Scroll To Top