Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Battlefield 3 crash problem and more!.
  1 / 2    
Hello guys,

As you can see this is my first post here.So let me explain to you what's up!

So..When I'm playing Battlefield 3 after like 15-20 minutes or more the game crashes and giving me a black screen or a screen with crappie pixels and I have to close the game with Ctrl+Alt+Dlt,It also sometimes gives me an error(see pictures below).I've been searching Google for a good amount of time but unfortunately I didn't find a solution for my problem.That's why I posted this,to find some answers because crashes is a pain in the ass!

My build :

750W CPU
Intel Core i7 960 3.20 GHz
6 gb ram DDR3
Nvidia GTX 470
Windows 7 Prof 64 bit.
Asus Socket 1366 Rampage III

Also let me show you some proof of my problem,I mean what error does it gives me exactly you know. :

[spoiler][img]http://i.imm.io/cq2C.jpeg[/img][/spoiler]

What I've tried :
Update Nvidia Graphics
Put "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance".
Put "Set PhysX configuration" and selected my graphics card.
Reinstalled Windows 7.
Set "Adjust image settings with preview" to "Balanced" from "Quality"(to do this you have to select the "Use my preference emphasizing" option).

Thank you for your time,
Best Regards,
-prod.
Hello guys,

As you can see this is my first post here.So let me explain to you what's up!

So..When I'm playing Battlefield 3 after like 15-20 minutes or more the game crashes and giving me a black screen or a screen with crappie pixels and I have to close the game with Ctrl+Alt+Dlt,It also sometimes gives me an error(see pictures below).I've been searching Google for a good amount of time but unfortunately I didn't find a solution for my problem.That's why I posted this,to find some answers because crashes is a pain in the ass!

My build :

750W CPU

Intel Core i7 960 3.20 GHz

6 gb ram DDR3

Nvidia GTX 470

Windows 7 Prof 64 bit.

Asus Socket 1366 Rampage III

Also let me show you some proof of my problem,I mean what error does it gives me exactly you know. :

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What I've tried :

Update Nvidia Graphics

Put "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance".

Put "Set PhysX configuration" and selected my graphics card.

Reinstalled Windows 7.

Set "Adjust image settings with preview" to "Balanced" from "Quality"(to do this you have to select the "Use my preference emphasizing" option).

Thank you for your time,

Best Regards,

-prod.

Posted 12/03/2011 03:16 PM   
I got the same problem, I tried downgrading the driver. Still doesnt work. Ive tried using the Asus Modded Driver for the asus g73sw(which I have) and it works. But it will freeze the game and my laptop causing me to have to hard reboot it. (holding down power button) I cant ctrl+alt+del.

I cant figure it out. Ive had this problem for awhile to.
I got the same problem, I tried downgrading the driver. Still doesnt work. Ive tried using the Asus Modded Driver for the asus g73sw(which I have) and it works. But it will freeze the game and my laptop causing me to have to hard reboot it. (holding down power button) I cant ctrl+alt+del.

Posted 12/03/2011 06:41 PM   
[quote name='Capt1v1ty' date='03 December 2011 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1322937671' post='1337067']

[/quote]

Sometimes it happens the same,I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Dlt.I have to restart my computer.
[quote name='Capt1v1ty' date='03 December 2011 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1322937671' post='1337067']

Sometimes it happens the same,I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Dlt.I have to restart my computer.

Posted 12/03/2011 07:07 PM   
[quote name='prodigyfan23' date='03 December 2011 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1322939263' post='1337075']
[/quote]

I have a slightly different card (GTX 580), but I am having the same issues. I've been playing both Call of Duty MW3 and BF3 since their release, but just today I started having these issues. First it started with the game freezing. The computer itself didn't freeze, so all it took was CTR + ALT + DLT to exit the game. But nonetheless, still very frustrating. Then I started noticing strange artifacts during game-play, and what seemed like rendering issues. These problems occurred in both games and began only minutes after I began to play. Again, very frustrating considering the fact that I have been playing both games since they came out at the highest possible settings with no issues whatsoever.

Although I consider myself somewhat computer savvy, I resorted to contacting Alienware customer service (stuck with the guy for 3 hours). He claimed that I should only download drivers directly from the Dell website, as they are specifically tested for the PC that I purchased. So we did a fresh install of version 270.57 from the previous version 285.62. But as I suspected, the issues continued despite rolling back to an older version.

Prodigy, I noticed in your screenshot that you are using version 285.62, which is what I had been using prior to rolling back to a previous version. I wonder if it has something to do with that particular driver? But then again, my issues started awhile after updating to 285.62.

I also did a few other things relating specifically to the hardware, because I am slightly worried that the card might be overheating. I ran a very intensive graphics benchmark program called Heaven DX11, to see if it would crash or indicate any bad results. But the program ran fine, and even with temperatures hovering around 85 degrees after only 15 minutes, the score was still pretty high. That rules out overheating.

I am re-installing Call of Duty, even though I doubt there are issues with the software. But at this point I am open to any potential fixes. Lastly, I did read that another user had success by installing one of the nvidia beta drivers (290.36). So that is my next plan of action. But after that, I will have basically exhausted all of my ideas. Hopefully by that point, someone much smarter than myself will have chimed in with a solution, so I can continue using my computer for what it was meant for: games.

My specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Windows 7
[quote name='prodigyfan23' date='03 December 2011 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1322939263' post='1337075']

I have a slightly different card (GTX 580), but I am having the same issues. I've been playing both Call of Duty MW3 and BF3 since their release, but just today I started having these issues. First it started with the game freezing. The computer itself didn't freeze, so all it took was CTR + ALT + DLT to exit the game. But nonetheless, still very frustrating. Then I started noticing strange artifacts during game-play, and what seemed like rendering issues. These problems occurred in both games and began only minutes after I began to play. Again, very frustrating considering the fact that I have been playing both games since they came out at the highest possible settings with no issues whatsoever.

Although I consider myself somewhat computer savvy, I resorted to contacting Alienware customer service (stuck with the guy for 3 hours). He claimed that I should only download drivers directly from the Dell website, as they are specifically tested for the PC that I purchased. So we did a fresh install of version 270.57 from the previous version 285.62. But as I suspected, the issues continued despite rolling back to an older version.

Prodigy, I noticed in your screenshot that you are using version 285.62, which is what I had been using prior to rolling back to a previous version. I wonder if it has something to do with that particular driver? But then again, my issues started awhile after updating to 285.62.

I also did a few other things relating specifically to the hardware, because I am slightly worried that the card might be overheating. I ran a very intensive graphics benchmark program called Heaven DX11, to see if it would crash or indicate any bad results. But the program ran fine, and even with temperatures hovering around 85 degrees after only 15 minutes, the score was still pretty high. That rules out overheating.

I am re-installing Call of Duty, even though I doubt there are issues with the software. But at this point I am open to any potential fixes. Lastly, I did read that another user had success by installing one of the nvidia beta drivers (290.36). So that is my next plan of action. But after that, I will have basically exhausted all of my ideas. Hopefully by that point, someone much smarter than myself will have chimed in with a solution, so I can continue using my computer for what it was meant for: games.

My specs:

12.0 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

Windows 7

Posted 12/05/2011 02:05 AM   
[quote name='RedSoxFan' date='05 December 2011 - 04:05 AM' timestamp='1323050747' post='1337674']

My specs:

12.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Windows 7
[/quote]

Thanks for writing all this man.

Well,I only have problems with BF3.MW3 works as a charm!
[quote name='RedSoxFan' date='05 December 2011 - 04:05 AM' timestamp='1323050747' post='1337674']

My specs:

12.0 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

Windows 7

Thanks for writing all this man.

Well,I only have problems with BF3.MW3 works as a charm!

Posted 12/05/2011 05:33 PM   
[quote name='RedSoxFan' date='05 December 2011 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1323050747' post='1337674']

My specs:

12.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Windows 7
[/quote]
Yeah, I tried the new beta driver on my asus g73sw. Doesnt help. I tried asus's website driver. all it does it doesnt cause the crashing, but will freeze. Its a driver issue forsure. Im wondering if there is something trigger it, maybe another driver? Im not sure. Ive been researching for weeks. ive tried almost everything. I still cant figure it out
[quote name='RedSoxFan' date='05 December 2011 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1323050747' post='1337674']

My specs:

12.0 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

Windows 7

Yeah, I tried the new beta driver on my asus g73sw. Doesnt help. I tried asus's website driver. all it does it doesnt cause the crashing, but will freeze. Its a driver issue forsure. Im wondering if there is something trigger it, maybe another driver? Im not sure. Ive been researching for weeks. ive tried almost everything. I still cant figure it out

Posted 12/07/2011 01:45 AM   
Experiencing the same problem, everything was fine until I updated to 285.62. I had never had any issues.
I tried this :

Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Set PhysX configuration -> Select a Physx processor -> choose your graphics card instead of leaving it on auto-select.

which I found in another thread; many reported that it solved their problem.
I didn't for me; I have a gtx480 and a gtx460 (main being the 480) I get the reset when working on a monitor connected to the 460 i think; I had set the Physx stuff to the 480. So I just set physx to cpu (I don't play games much if at all); I have a i7-970 so it should be able to handle the extra load.

I'll report back in a few days on whether setting CPU when using multiple monitors (I have 4) helps.
Experiencing the same problem, everything was fine until I updated to 285.62. I had never had any issues.

I tried this :

Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Set PhysX configuration -> Select a Physx processor -> choose your graphics card instead of leaving it on auto-select.

I didn't for me; I have a gtx480 and a gtx460 (main being the 480) I get the reset when working on a monitor connected to the 460 i think; I had set the Physx stuff to the 480. So I just set physx to cpu (I don't play games much if at all); I have a i7-970 so it should be able to handle the extra load.

I'll report back in a few days on whether setting CPU when using multiple monitors (I have 4) helps.

Posted 12/07/2011 06:11 PM   
Thought I would chime in once again, although I'm not entirely sure I have fixed the issue. I came across another forum that brought up some information about powering your computer using a power-strip/surge protector. Apparently the power-strip can limit the voltage coming from the computer, which can cause issues with certain hardware trying to perform at a certain level. So the person who posted this suggested plugging power directly into a wall outlet. After about 15 minutes of continuous game play, the game didn't freeze at all (which is somewhat significant considering it usually freezes after about 2 minutes). I'm wondering though if this was just a coincidence, because my computer has been plugged into a power strip since I purchased it. However, one of the power-strips (I use 2) is fairly new so perhaps that is the culprit. I am going to test this theory further with an hour of continuous game-play.

This may just be a fluke, because it sounds too good to be true. But I will post again if it ends up solving my issue. I still have a feeling that my graphics card is just going bad. Anyone else have any luck so far?
Thought I would chime in once again, although I'm not entirely sure I have fixed the issue. I came across another forum that brought up some information about powering your computer using a power-strip/surge protector. Apparently the power-strip can limit the voltage coming from the computer, which can cause issues with certain hardware trying to perform at a certain level. So the person who posted this suggested plugging power directly into a wall outlet. After about 15 minutes of continuous game play, the game didn't freeze at all (which is somewhat significant considering it usually freezes after about 2 minutes). I'm wondering though if this was just a coincidence, because my computer has been plugged into a power strip since I purchased it. However, one of the power-strips (I use 2) is fairly new so perhaps that is the culprit. I am going to test this theory further with an hour of continuous game-play.

This may just be a fluke, because it sounds too good to be true. But I will post again if it ends up solving my issue. I still have a feeling that my graphics card is just going bad. Anyone else have any luck so far?

Posted 12/10/2011 03:07 PM   
Hello folks,
I have ran into this problem also, GTS450 gpu throttling to 99% then black or pixelated screen freeze, gotta ctrl.alt.del to get out of it. This is while playing cod4 at 1280x1024 on high settings, which should be zero problem for my rig. I thought i solved this problem by simply enabling vsync, as i was 160+ fps, vsync brought this down to sane levels. However since then for some reason things have been 'sticking' for a second or 2 while gaming or simply browsing, and now to full freezes in games,pop up shows 'display driver stopped responding now recovered'. GPU driver version is latest 285.62 and card is only mildly overclocked.

I have been trying to think what I changed in the system that may have caused this, as all was running smoothly if only for less than a week.
This GPU was installed very recently(couple weeks) and I ran a lot of tests such as 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage, all ran smoothly with ok benchmarks,COD4 and other games ran sweet. however now 3dmark vantage/games freezes after just 10-20 secs, have uninstalled any programs downloaded since then to see if helps to no avail.ran memtest on my ram and manufacturers diagnostic test on hdd all passed ok, also ran prime95 to stress CPU this reported no errors too.

maximus formula
quad core q9450@ 2.66ghz
Inno3d GTS 450
8gb DDR2 Geil black dragon quad channel
300gb Velociraptor HDD
700W coolermater PSU
Windows Vista 64bit
Hello folks,

I have ran into this problem also, GTS450 gpu throttling to 99% then black or pixelated screen freeze, gotta ctrl.alt.del to get out of it. This is while playing cod4 at 1280x1024 on high settings, which should be zero problem for my rig. I thought i solved this problem by simply enabling vsync, as i was 160+ fps, vsync brought this down to sane levels. However since then for some reason things have been 'sticking' for a second or 2 while gaming or simply browsing, and now to full freezes in games,pop up shows 'display driver stopped responding now recovered'. GPU driver version is latest 285.62 and card is only mildly overclocked.

I have been trying to think what I changed in the system that may have caused this, as all was running smoothly if only for less than a week.

This GPU was installed very recently(couple weeks) and I ran a lot of tests such as 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage, all ran smoothly with ok benchmarks,COD4 and other games ran sweet. however now 3dmark vantage/games freezes after just 10-20 secs, have uninstalled any programs downloaded since then to see if helps to no avail.ran memtest on my ram and manufacturers diagnostic test on hdd all passed ok, also ran prime95 to stress CPU this reported no errors too.

maximus formula

quad core q9450@ 2.66ghz

Inno3d GTS 450

8gb DDR2 Geil black dragon quad channel

300gb Velociraptor HDD

700W coolermater PSU

Windows Vista 64bit

Posted 12/12/2011 03:05 AM   
[quote name='jd31068' date='07 December 2011 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1323281518' post='1338934']
I tried this :

[/quote]

This seems to have solved it, setting physx processor to current card not auto has done the job for now,I hope! :) many thx JD!
[quote name='jd31068' date='07 December 2011 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1323281518' post='1338934']

I tried this :

This seems to have solved it, setting physx processor to current card not auto has done the job for now,I hope! :) many thx JD!

Posted 12/12/2011 03:54 AM   
hmm still somethin up, previous solution did solve the gpu 99% throttle prob, but still getting the occasional stutter or brief screen freeze, with driver crashing then recovering. things have improved but not quite right.
hmm still somethin up, previous solution did solve the gpu 99% throttle prob, but still getting the occasional stutter or brief screen freeze, with driver crashing then recovering. things have improved but not quite right.

Posted 12/15/2011 09:23 PM   
exactly the same with me in Far Cry 2 and Silent Hunter 4. Its all been since I put in the driver before this one (latest). Someone not donr their testing properly? About to try the answer ^^^^

Ah had already tried that and applied setting but when I looked now, it was on auto?? Test and come back.

Q: could it be the monitor? I have an Acer Flat Screen P193W on a fixed 60MHZ refresh.

Regarding GTX430 - in laymans terms how much more powerful is it over the GeForce 9800GT, my previous card. I was thinking of changing back to this.
exactly the same with me in Far Cry 2 and Silent Hunter 4. Its all been since I put in the driver before this one (latest). Someone not donr their testing properly? About to try the answer ^^^^

Ah had already tried that and applied setting but when I looked now, it was on auto?? Test and come back.

Q: could it be the monitor? I have an Acer Flat Screen P193W on a fixed 60MHZ refresh.

Regarding GTX430 - in laymans terms how much more powerful is it over the GeForce 9800GT, my previous card. I was thinking of changing back to this.

Posted 12/23/2011 04:04 PM   
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215245"]My link[/url] <-use this thread guys, lot of people with this problem,that thread has extensive replies and advice how you may solve this, but it dont look simple, varies for everyone depending on your setup. My 99% GPU throttle is bak with a vengeance,Im still struggling myself on what needs to be tried next /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
My link <-use this thread guys, lot of people with this problem,that thread has extensive replies and advice how you may solve this, but it dont look simple, varies for everyone depending on your setup. My 99% GPU throttle is bak with a vengeance,Im still struggling myself on what needs to be tried next /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Posted 12/23/2011 05:40 PM   
No no no. Use this thread. Use all the threads. There ignoring one. Lets use the full forum. See if it spreads Christmas cheer.
No no no. Use this thread. Use all the threads. There ignoring one. Lets use the full forum. See if it spreads Christmas cheer.

Posted 12/24/2011 03:25 PM   
There is very obviously a conflict here. This has occurred since the last two latest upgrades. I use Win 7 Home Premium on a quad core 3GB RAM with this GTX 430. I might change back to the GeForce 9800GT to see it it stops breaking?
There is very obviously a conflict here. This has occurred since the last two latest upgrades. I use Win 7 Home Premium on a quad core 3GB RAM with this GTX 430. I might change back to the GeForce 9800GT to see it it stops breaking?

Posted 12/24/2011 03:29 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top