Warning.. ALL Asus VG278H monitor owner, please check yours
  1 / 10    
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1653278

I've got my asus vg278h 2 days ago and been messing around since then. I didn't notice any immediate problem till I saw this. First of all, my monitor doesn't have any dead/stuck pixel and had no cosmetic issue so I was pretty happy about it. The Monitor itself is too bright for my eyes so I always set brightness level at 0 and contrast level at 50 on 2d mode. And then, I saw this topic.. I turned my brightness and contrast level to 100 and went to all black background using udpixel(I use this to check dead/stuck pixel). Wow.. Did I see it wrong? I really see this oval shape lightbleeding on my monitor, just not as bad as on screen. It's not noticeable on lower brightness setting I am using but once I know it's there when I set it to high brightness setting, it's bugging the hell out of me. Apparently, all asus vg278h on market right now has this problem and there's no fix for it. What is this? Is this some kind of design defect or is it because of excessive brightness level of led-lcd light that make things see-through on high brightness level? I checked on my old dell 2405w or my led 3dtv but they don't have this issue. I don't think my acer hn274h had this oval shape problem either. It's not noticeable on mine unless I go to high brightness setting and turn my background black right now but according to everybody, it gets worse and worse as time goes. I will wait and see how it goes for next a week or two but if I see any sign of getting it any worse than it is now, I am definitely going to return it before my 30 days return period expires. Anybody having same issue? Please check yours too and post back.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1653278

I've got my asus vg278h 2 days ago and been messing around since then. I didn't notice any immediate problem till I saw this. First of all, my monitor doesn't have any dead/stuck pixel and had no cosmetic issue so I was pretty happy about it. The Monitor itself is too bright for my eyes so I always set brightness level at 0 and contrast level at 50 on 2d mode. And then, I saw this topic.. I turned my brightness and contrast level to 100 and went to all black background using udpixel(I use this to check dead/stuck pixel). Wow.. Did I see it wrong? I really see this oval shape lightbleeding on my monitor, just not as bad as on screen. It's not noticeable on lower brightness setting I am using but once I know it's there when I set it to high brightness setting, it's bugging the hell out of me. Apparently, all asus vg278h on market right now has this problem and there's no fix for it. What is this? Is this some kind of design defect or is it because of excessive brightness level of led-lcd light that make things see-through on high brightness level? I checked on my old dell 2405w or my led 3dtv but they don't have this issue. I don't think my acer hn274h had this oval shape problem either. It's not noticeable on mine unless I go to high brightness setting and turn my background black right now but according to everybody, it gets worse and worse as time goes. I will wait and see how it goes for next a week or two but if I see any sign of getting it any worse than it is now, I am definitely going to return it before my 30 days return period expires. Anybody having same issue? Please check yours too and post back.

I7 3930k

Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling Kit

Asus Rampage IV Formula

G.Skill 16gb DDR3 2133 Rams

EVGA GTX 680 SLI

Corsair AX1200 watts Gold PSU

12x LG Bluray Burner

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case

Asus VG278H 27 inch 3D monitor

Posted 12/01/2011 03:50 PM   
Bleeding is nothing new on LCD monitors. Almost every monitor has some bleeding, either in a corner or in the center.

Granted, that pattern is a bit extraordinary, but on the other hand - did you ever manage to see the pattern on the Windows desktop or in a game? Maybe in a 3D game with maxed out contrast and brightness? Even without the glasses?
Bleeding is nothing new on LCD monitors. Almost every monitor has some bleeding, either in a corner or in the center.

Granted, that pattern is a bit extraordinary, but on the other hand - did you ever manage to see the pattern on the Windows desktop or in a game? Maybe in a 3D game with maxed out contrast and brightness? Even without the glasses?

Posted 12/01/2011 09:54 PM   
I'm receiving my Asus monitor tomorrow. I'll have to check this out, but I'm most likely won't be using this monitor at max contrast/brightness at all times. IMO, even if this shows up, as long as it's not a problem at my settings I set at, this shouldn't be an issue.
I'm receiving my Asus monitor tomorrow. I'll have to check this out, but I'm most likely won't be using this monitor at max contrast/brightness at all times. IMO, even if this shows up, as long as it's not a problem at my settings I set at, this shouldn't be an issue.

Posted 12/02/2011 03:58 AM   
It looks like this.

http://http://i.imgur.com/yjMYG.jpg
It looks like this.

http://http://i.imgur.com/yjMYG.jpg

Posted 12/06/2011 01:19 AM   
Same issue happening on mine, what a joke. I agree, definitely don't buy this monitor. To the guy earlier in this thread saying light bleeding is nothing new, no offiense but you don't have this monitor, and I have never seen a monitor exhibit this issue. Very poor quality control on the part of Asus. It's really fun watching a move and seeing the oval sitting there when the scenes get dark.
Same issue happening on mine, what a joke. I agree, definitely don't buy this monitor. To the guy earlier in this thread saying light bleeding is nothing new, no offiense but you don't have this monitor, and I have never seen a monitor exhibit this issue. Very poor quality control on the part of Asus. It's really fun watching a move and seeing the oval sitting there when the scenes get dark.

Posted 12/07/2011 03:14 PM   
Any word on this? I'm considering purchasing the monitor. Should I wait?
Any word on this? I'm considering purchasing the monitor. Should I wait?

Posted 12/10/2011 02:38 AM   
So far, 3D Vision 2 has been a flop. Here's hoping that everything gets straightened out.
So far, 3D Vision 2 has been a flop. Here's hoping that everything gets straightened out.

Posted 12/10/2011 02:42 AM   
[quote name='Osobari' date='09 December 2011 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1323484943' post='1340234']
[/quote]

In terms of the software or the hardware? Like I said, I'm poised to purchase the monitor tonight, just curious as to whether or not this screen issue is fixing itself over time or not, or if I should purchase something else.
[quote name='Osobari' date='09 December 2011 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1323484943' post='1340234']

In terms of the software or the hardware? Like I said, I'm poised to purchase the monitor tonight, just curious as to whether or not this screen issue is fixing itself over time or not, or if I should purchase something else.

Posted 12/10/2011 03:21 AM   
I already returned mine to newegg for full refund. They paid return shipping for me too since it's defected. Asus vg278h is now stocked newegg but it's not sold out anymore. So many people already complained on review and gave 1 or 2 eggs on it and I think now it finally caught on asus's attention. Asus started replying on these 1 or 2 egg reviews and saying they are trying to duplicate the problem and come up with solution. I suppose it will get fixed for future releasing batch but I don't think people who bought it already will get perfectly fixed factory sealed new one if they send it to asus. Best bet for right now is return it to wherever you got it from. Most retailers don't charge restocking fee if the product is defected. Since so many people are complaining about this all over internet and this monitor suppose to be hot launch new technology product, it will definitely have fixed version soon. Now the only problem is.. What will nvidia do with their 3d vision 2 glasses? Will they release v2 of or just keep it and eat negative complain for next few years? If they are going to fix it, they better do it now when their damage is still minimum. Right now, they will lose tons of money if they release new design v2 glasses but it will cost them much more if they release new version like an year after.
I already returned mine to newegg for full refund. They paid return shipping for me too since it's defected. Asus vg278h is now stocked newegg but it's not sold out anymore. So many people already complained on review and gave 1 or 2 eggs on it and I think now it finally caught on asus's attention. Asus started replying on these 1 or 2 egg reviews and saying they are trying to duplicate the problem and come up with solution. I suppose it will get fixed for future releasing batch but I don't think people who bought it already will get perfectly fixed factory sealed new one if they send it to asus. Best bet for right now is return it to wherever you got it from. Most retailers don't charge restocking fee if the product is defected. Since so many people are complaining about this all over internet and this monitor suppose to be hot launch new technology product, it will definitely have fixed version soon. Now the only problem is.. What will nvidia do with their 3d vision 2 glasses? Will they release v2 of or just keep it and eat negative complain for next few years? If they are going to fix it, they better do it now when their damage is still minimum. Right now, they will lose tons of money if they release new design v2 glasses but it will cost them much more if they release new version like an year after.

I7 3930k

Asus Rampage IV Formula

EVGA GTX 680 SLI

12x LG Bluray Burner

Posted 12/10/2011 03:25 AM   
[quote name='Osobari' date='09 December 2011 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1323484943' post='1340234']
[/quote]

I agree this monitor issue needs to be addressed but want to comment on my 3D Vision 2 experience so far.

Lightboost works as advertised and really does wonders for making the image look better.

The glasses have been redesigned with bigger lenses and don't get dirty as easy as the original ones and because of how they are re-set inside the frame, won't get scratched as easily. Some people don't like how the earpieces fit but I don't have that problem. The gloss around the frames bothers some people but I play in a dark environment and don't have this problem.

Only one monitor has been released so far and has an issue that Asus is now aware of and looking at. The monitor looks great in 3D even with this issue as reported by some people on the Hardforum thread about this monitor.

I think it's worth upgrading to if you are a serious 3D gamer - once the Asus issue is fixed or another monitor is released.
[quote name='Osobari' date='09 December 2011 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1323484943' post='1340234']

I agree this monitor issue needs to be addressed but want to comment on my 3D Vision 2 experience so far.

Lightboost works as advertised and really does wonders for making the image look better.

The glasses have been redesigned with bigger lenses and don't get dirty as easy as the original ones and because of how they are re-set inside the frame, won't get scratched as easily. Some people don't like how the earpieces fit but I don't have that problem. The gloss around the frames bothers some people but I play in a dark environment and don't have this problem.

Only one monitor has been released so far and has an issue that Asus is now aware of and looking at. The monitor looks great in 3D even with this issue as reported by some people on the Hardforum thread about this monitor.

I think it's worth upgrading to if you are a serious 3D gamer - once the Asus issue is fixed or another monitor is released.

Posted 12/10/2011 08:33 AM   
I decided to throw caution to the wind and purchased one through newegg just now. I'll post here if mine has it, but I'm REALLY hoping it doesn't.
I decided to throw caution to the wind and purchased one through newegg just now. I'll post here if mine has it, but I'm REALLY hoping it doesn't.

Posted 12/10/2011 09:35 PM   
I've had my monitor for about two weeks now, and I can't really tell if it has that oval back light bleeding or not. But from what I hear, it's suppose to be easily detected. So far so good, but I don't usually have my screen brightness and contrast maxed at 100 at all times. Even having both settings at 50 is a little too much for me. And with the setting I normally have it at, I don't notice anything at all. Although, I do see that the blacks is not as good as my laptop screen (though the laptop screen is a 95% gamut display, if that makes any difference).

I think I'm going to keep mine, I've waited too long for a 27" 3D vision 2 monitor and I don't want to wait any longer. Plus it seems like Asus is on top of this, so I'll trust them that they won't do me wrong if something gets worse with my monitor.
I've had my monitor for about two weeks now, and I can't really tell if it has that oval back light bleeding or not. But from what I hear, it's suppose to be easily detected. So far so good, but I don't usually have my screen brightness and contrast maxed at 100 at all times. Even having both settings at 50 is a little too much for me. And with the setting I normally have it at, I don't notice anything at all. Although, I do see that the blacks is not as good as my laptop screen (though the laptop screen is a 95% gamut display, if that makes any difference).

I think I'm going to keep mine, I've waited too long for a 27" 3D vision 2 monitor and I don't want to wait any longer. Plus it seems like Asus is on top of this, so I'll trust them that they won't do me wrong if something gets worse with my monitor.

Posted 12/11/2011 02:40 AM   
My monitor simply arrived dead on arrival. Power light goes on, but NOTHING on the screen. As in no power going to screen. Tried all the obvious solutions: cable, input selection, etc. Win 7 even sees it, but display is non-existent. Called for tech support, but useless. They wanted me to send it back to them, but it's going to amazon for a refund instead. I really wanted this monitor. Going to have to hold off to see what other vision 2 monitors come out.
My monitor simply arrived dead on arrival. Power light goes on, but NOTHING on the screen. As in no power going to screen. Tried all the obvious solutions: cable, input selection, etc. Win 7 even sees it, but display is non-existent. Called for tech support, but useless. They wanted me to send it back to them, but it's going to amazon for a refund instead. I really wanted this monitor. Going to have to hold off to see what other vision 2 monitors come out.

Posted 12/16/2011 05:52 PM   
Mine works great. ZERO issues.
Mine works great. ZERO issues.

3930K @ 4.5 Water cooled

15 Gigs DDR 3 2133

GTX 680x2

Obsidian 800D

Silvertone St-1500 watt

OCZ Vertex 120 gig SSD

ASUS 27 inch 3D monitor 3D vision 2.

Posted 12/16/2011 09:29 PM   
Good for you, if things are working good for you. As for me, I am going to wait few more months till every unit out is fixed and safe to buy or maybe, we might see something better by then. It's no biggie to wait 3-4 months for me since acer hn274h already great monitor. Asus vg278h is obviously better since it has lightboost technology but difference is barely noticeable and ghostings are still there. Even though asus says we won't have any ghosting with their 3rd generation ghostbusting technology but ghosting I saw from asus vg278h is just about same as acer hn274h. I am willing to wait 6 months or even longer for something better. :(
Good for you, if things are working good for you. As for me, I am going to wait few more months till every unit out is fixed and safe to buy or maybe, we might see something better by then. It's no biggie to wait 3-4 months for me since acer hn274h already great monitor. Asus vg278h is obviously better since it has lightboost technology but difference is barely noticeable and ghostings are still there. Even though asus says we won't have any ghosting with their 3rd generation ghostbusting technology but ghosting I saw from asus vg278h is just about same as acer hn274h. I am willing to wait 6 months or even longer for something better. :(

I7 3930k

Asus Rampage IV Formula

EVGA GTX 680 SLI

12x LG Bluray Burner

Posted 12/16/2011 09:51 PM   
  1 / 10    
Scroll To Top