HELP - Why are games not using my custom games settings in Nvidia Control Panel! Nvidia Control
  1 / 2    
Hi all,

Hope somebody can help me.

Recently been trying to force AA and ambient occlusion into Skyrim using Nvidia Inspector and the Nvidia Control Panel. Have got all the settings from the article on Geforce.com but although they show up in the Nvidia control panel fine they are definitely not affecting the game in any way. I have set AA to off in Skyrim and even with the override application setting and AA set to 8xCSAA there is definitely no AA applied to the game. Turning the ingame AA works fine though. I did think that maybe as I do use the 4gb LAA patch now that the .exe has changed but created separate profiles for both and neither make the slightest difference in game.

Having never really used Nvidia Inspector or the control panel to adjust specific in game settings I thought I'd try to amend the ones in COD4: Modern Warfare but again although I set the in game AA to off and the Nvidia Control panel to 8x there is definitely no AA being applied in game.

I'm using the latest 290.36 drivers on Win 7 64bit Home Premium.
Intel 980X @ 4.2
6gb Corsair DHX 2000mhz RAM
2 x GTX 480's in SLI @ stock
Nvidia HD audio -> Sony Amp
120gb OCV Vertex 2 - OS
1TB WD Caviar Black - Steam

Checked direct x and keep all my drivers up to date. Pretty much all the games run fine if I use in game settings but it's annoying that I can't enhance them should I want to.

Any ideas as to why this isn't working or am I missing something obvious?????
Hi all,

Hope somebody can help me.

Recently been trying to force AA and ambient occlusion into Skyrim using Nvidia Inspector and the Nvidia Control Panel. Have got all the settings from the article on Geforce.com but although they show up in the Nvidia control panel fine they are definitely not affecting the game in any way. I have set AA to off in Skyrim and even with the override application setting and AA set to 8xCSAA there is definitely no AA applied to the game. Turning the ingame AA works fine though. I did think that maybe as I do use the 4gb LAA patch now that the .exe has changed but created separate profiles for both and neither make the slightest difference in game.

Having never really used Nvidia Inspector or the control panel to adjust specific in game settings I thought I'd try to amend the ones in COD4: Modern Warfare but again although I set the in game AA to off and the Nvidia Control panel to 8x there is definitely no AA being applied in game.

I'm using the latest 290.36 drivers on Win 7 64bit Home Premium.

Intel 980X @ 4.2

6gb Corsair DHX 2000mhz RAM

2 x GTX 480's in SLI @ stock

Nvidia HD audio -> Sony Amp

120gb OCV Vertex 2 - OS

1TB WD Caviar Black - Steam

Checked direct x and keep all my drivers up to date. Pretty much all the games run fine if I use in game settings but it's annoying that I can't enhance them should I want to.

Any ideas as to why this isn't working or am I missing something obvious?????

CPU: Intel 3960X - Watercooled @ 4.6ghz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 16GB 4x4GB GT Dominator @ 2133mhz
Storage: 120GB Corsair Force SSD; 120GB Kingston Hyper 3K SSD; 2 x 512GB Crucial M4 SSD's & 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK
Graphics Card(s): 2 x EVGA Hydrocopper 780GTX - Watercooled (SLI)
Sound: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra
PSU: CAIR 1000W CMPSU-1000HXUK
Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Monitor(s): Asus VG278HE @ 144hz

Posted 11/30/2011 06:47 PM   
Skyrim does not support driver forced AA. In fact the driver profile prevents you from overriding it. Use "Enhance the application setting".
Skyrim does not support driver forced AA. In fact the driver profile prevents you from overriding it. Use "Enhance the application setting".

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 11/30/2011 11:30 PM   
Thanks for the response nvtweakman.

I tried the enhance application setting after setting the ingame to 2x and whether I have it set as 16x in Nvidia CP or use application setting, it doesn't seem to affect how Skyrim actually looks. I've now also tried setting up custom profiles for both Farcry 2 and COD4: Modern Warfare. Again none of the custom profiles seem to have any affect on the games themselves. Any idea of a game or two to try where there should be a marked difference when using a custom profile?
Thanks for the response nvtweakman.

I tried the enhance application setting after setting the ingame to 2x and whether I have it set as 16x in Nvidia CP or use application setting, it doesn't seem to affect how Skyrim actually looks. I've now also tried setting up custom profiles for both Farcry 2 and COD4: Modern Warfare. Again none of the custom profiles seem to have any affect on the games themselves. Any idea of a game or two to try where there should be a marked difference when using a custom profile?

Storage: 120GB Corsair Force SSD; 120GB Kingston Hyper 3K SSD; 2 x 512GB Crucial M4 SSD's & 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK

Posted 12/01/2011 08:01 AM   
I have a similar issue.

Can't get Ambient occlusion to work in Skyrim.

But I'm rolling back to the previous drivers anyway because of instability. :(
I have a similar issue.

Can't get Ambient occlusion to work in Skyrim.

But I'm rolling back to the previous drivers anyway because of instability. :(

Posted 12/01/2011 09:23 AM   
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='01 December 2011 - 03:01 AM' timestamp='1322726503' post='1335704']
I tried the enhance application setting after setting the ingame to 2x and whether I have it set as 16x in Nvidia CP or use application setting, it doesn't seem to affect how Skyrim actually looks.
[/quote]

I just set Skyrim game settings to 2x AA and 0x AF. Then I set driver settings at 8x multisampling AA (enhance the app setting), 8x transparency supersampling AA, and 16x AF. It is definitely working.

The problem however is that the current drivers are bugged with regards to profile settings. It was reported in the official 290.36 topic.

I used NV Inspector to reset all profiles to default (holding down the control key while pressing restore defaults button), then adjust the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim profile using the NVIDIA control panel.
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='01 December 2011 - 03:01 AM' timestamp='1322726503' post='1335704']

I tried the enhance application setting after setting the ingame to 2x and whether I have it set as 16x in Nvidia CP or use application setting, it doesn't seem to affect how Skyrim actually looks.

I just set Skyrim game settings to 2x AA and 0x AF. Then I set driver settings at 8x multisampling AA (enhance the app setting), 8x transparency supersampling AA, and 16x AF. It is definitely working.

The problem however is that the current drivers are bugged with regards to profile settings. It was reported in the official 290.36 topic.

I used NV Inspector to reset all profiles to default (holding down the control key while pressing restore defaults button), then adjust the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim profile using the NVIDIA control panel.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 12/01/2011 05:55 PM   
Thanks again nvtweakman. If the profiles are bugged in the NV CP that would at east explain why I'm not getting very far with them. Think I'll just wait to see if the next lot of drivers fix it and use ingame settings for the time being since they seem to work ok at least :)
Thanks again nvtweakman. If the profiles are bugged in the NV CP that would at east explain why I'm not getting very far with them. Think I'll just wait to see if the next lot of drivers fix it and use ingame settings for the time being since they seem to work ok at least :)

Posted 12/01/2011 06:22 PM   
Sure thing, glad to help. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

If you use NV Inspector to reset ALL profile defaults, or reinstall the drivers in "clean install" mode, it should solve the problem. But I cannot guarantee profiles won't become corrupted when you add a new application or adjust them with NV Inspector.
Sure thing, glad to help. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

If you use NV Inspector to reset ALL profile defaults, or reinstall the drivers in "clean install" mode, it should solve the problem. But I cannot guarantee profiles won't become corrupted when you add a new application or adjust them with NV Inspector.

Posted 12/01/2011 07:00 PM   
Within CP, there is an option to show physx indicator in the menu, check it and start a game. If the indicator shows up, then the profile is working. If not than it isn't.

I had this problem with some games with stereoscoptic on. Turning it off fixes the problem. If you don't have 3D vision, uninstall those 3d related drivers.
Within CP, there is an option to show physx indicator in the menu, check it and start a game. If the indicator shows up, then the profile is working. If not than it isn't.

I had this problem with some games with stereoscoptic on. Turning it off fixes the problem. If you don't have 3D vision, uninstall those 3d related drivers.

EVGA GTX460SC1024MB SLI (01G-P3-1372-TR)

2600k@4.8Ghz

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe REV3.0

8Gb RAM

Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ

64bit Vista

Onboard Sound card

Posted 12/01/2011 10:19 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='30 November 2011 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1322695834' post='1335557']
[/quote]

Driver forced IQ options works with AMD, not nvidia. This happens with MANY games, I made a thread regarding this. Its semi deceptive on nvidias part that for so many games, the override setting does basically nothing. It should at the very least prompt the user if the setting will not be applied.
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='30 November 2011 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1322695834' post='1335557']

Driver forced IQ options works with AMD, not nvidia. This happens with MANY games, I made a thread regarding this. Its semi deceptive on nvidias part that for so many games, the override setting does basically nothing. It should at the very least prompt the user if the setting will not be applied.

Posted 12/02/2011 12:59 AM   
Thanks again guys. I'd rep you all but either this forum doesn't have rep or I haven't yet posted enough!

I tried a clean re-install of the drivers last night going through the uninstallation process as detailed in the sticky at the top of the forum. Used drive sweeper and everything. Re-installed fine but still no joy getting the profiles to work. Just re-installed again now doing a clean install and not bothering with the 3d vision profiles.

Loaded up my 4gb LAA link for Skyrim and tried it with the SLI indicators and the Physx indicator. SLI indicator showed up fine and seems to be balancing the loads between GPU's nicely. Couldn'y see a Physx indicator anywhere though but never ever used it before. Would it even show up in Skyrim as I didn't think Skyrim used Physx at all?

Anyway, I'll have a look through more of my games tonight to see which have Physx and give one of those a go.
Thanks again guys. I'd rep you all but either this forum doesn't have rep or I haven't yet posted enough!

I tried a clean re-install of the drivers last night going through the uninstallation process as detailed in the sticky at the top of the forum. Used drive sweeper and everything. Re-installed fine but still no joy getting the profiles to work. Just re-installed again now doing a clean install and not bothering with the 3d vision profiles.

Loaded up my 4gb LAA link for Skyrim and tried it with the SLI indicators and the Physx indicator. SLI indicator showed up fine and seems to be balancing the loads between GPU's nicely. Couldn'y see a Physx indicator anywhere though but never ever used it before. Would it even show up in Skyrim as I didn't think Skyrim used Physx at all?

Anyway, I'll have a look through more of my games tonight to see which have Physx and give one of those a go.

Posted 12/02/2011 08:20 AM   
Maybe it's only a problem with Windows 7. I'm playing Skyrim in XP, and forcing AF works no question. Enhancing AA works so long as I don't use CSAA (there was a known problem with CSAA causing graphics corruption).
Maybe it's only a problem with Windows 7. I'm playing Skyrim in XP, and forcing AF works no question. Enhancing AA works so long as I don't use CSAA (there was a known problem with CSAA causing graphics corruption).

Posted 12/02/2011 06:56 PM   
Hmmm....that's certainly something for me to try. I'm pretty sure I have just been trying to set CSAA modes so maybe one of the others would work. I'll just give that a go and see if anything happens.
Hmmm....that's certainly something for me to try. I'm pretty sure I have just been trying to set CSAA modes so maybe one of the others would work. I'll just give that a go and see if anything happens.

Posted 12/02/2011 07:02 PM   
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='02 December 2011 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1322814029' post='1336288']

[/quote]
I'm too a SLI user. The SLI indicator also won't show if profile doesn't work. I know not all games support PhysX /ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' />, but I remember that the indicator will show up regardless of physx is used or not. May be a remembered it wrong.
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='02 December 2011 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1322814029' post='1336288']

I'm too a SLI user. The SLI indicator also won't show if profile doesn't work. I know not all games support PhysX /ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' />, but I remember that the indicator will show up regardless of physx is used or not. May be a remembered it wrong.

EVGA GTX460SC1024MB SLI (01G-P3-1372-TR)

2600k@4.8Ghz

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe REV3.0

8Gb RAM

Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ

64bit Vista

Onboard Sound card

Posted 12/02/2011 08:57 PM   
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='02 December 2011 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1322852532' post='1336563']
I'm pretty sure I have just been trying to set CSAA modes so maybe one of the others would work.
[/quote]

Yes it would have been nice if CSAA worked along with transparency multisampling. Unfortunately those settings completely crashed my game/system with previous r285 drivers. So I haven't tried those settings with r290. Instead I've been sticking with multisampling AA (enhance) and transparency supersampling.
[quote name='DrHarvey12' date='02 December 2011 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1322852532' post='1336563']

I'm pretty sure I have just been trying to set CSAA modes so maybe one of the others would work.

Yes it would have been nice if CSAA worked along with transparency multisampling. Unfortunately those settings completely crashed my game/system with previous r285 drivers. So I haven't tried those settings with r290. Instead I've been sticking with multisampling AA (enhance) and transparency supersampling.

Posted 12/02/2011 10:05 PM   
I just noticed that the CP has 0 effect on Arma2. It doesn't work. I am running the latest drivers.
I just noticed that the CP has 0 effect on Arma2. It doesn't work. I am running the latest drivers.

Posted 02/25/2012 11:55 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top