GT540M ingame sudden fps drop After a few moments fps in games gets destroyed
I've been playing Skyrim for a week now and it has been running marvelously ... until yesterday. When I started up my laptop yesterday to play Skyrim the game ran good, like usual, but after like 10 seconds the fps starts dropping. I normally have around 40 fps, which now drops and drops until it reaches 8 fps and Skyrim becomes unplayable. It does the same in Company of Heroes; it starts at 60 fps, runs perfectly fine for 20 sec, then drops to 30 fps. Why?

It's not a cpu / RAM problem, I'm running the game on an ASUS K53 and it ran perfectly fine before.

Yes, I did try updating NVidia drivers, old drivers, new drivers, everything that supports the optimus system anyways.
Yes, driver settings are set to "use high-performance: GT540M".

So why could I enjoy games yesterday, and not anymore today?

(thanks to anyone in advance who wants to help me out) =]

Edit: Additionally when I lower the graphics from high to low I obtain 5 or so fps more, same problem persists.
I've been playing Skyrim for a week now and it has been running marvelously ... until yesterday. When I started up my laptop yesterday to play Skyrim the game ran good, like usual, but after like 10 seconds the fps starts dropping. I normally have around 40 fps, which now drops and drops until it reaches 8 fps and Skyrim becomes unplayable. It does the same in Company of Heroes; it starts at 60 fps, runs perfectly fine for 20 sec, then drops to 30 fps. Why?

It's not a cpu / RAM problem, I'm running the game on an ASUS K53 and it ran perfectly fine before.

Yes, I did try updating NVidia drivers, old drivers, new drivers, everything that supports the optimus system anyways.

Edit: Additionally when I lower the graphics from high to low I obtain 5 or so fps more, same problem persists.

Posted 11/25/2011 09:30 PM   
[quote name='Peashooter' date='25 November 2011 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1322256630' post='1332782']

[/quote]

I have the same problem, except that, for me, lowering settings keeps FPS to straight 59-60. Tested Portal 2 so far.
[quote name='Peashooter' date='25 November 2011 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1322256630' post='1332782']

I have the same problem, except that, for me, lowering settings keeps FPS to straight 59-60. Tested Portal 2 so far.

ASUS K53SV-SX239V

Intel HM65 Express Chipset

Core i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge

Samsung 8GB RAM DDR3-1333

GeForce GT 540M 1GB

HDD WDS 320GB 5400rpm

Realtek High-Definition Audio

15.6" 1366x768 HD

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Posted 11/26/2011 01:28 PM   
Did you check the performance of your videocard with MSI Afterburner or something? I'm starting to wonder if I have a hardware problem ...

As for Portal 2, is your VSync on? You won't really notice better performance above 60 fps anyway.

Edit: I think there's something wrong with the cooling. The framerate is negatively proportional with the temperature graph, stopping any graphical activity when my GPU reaches 120 degrees. Now I'm not sure what temperature ranges are normal but this looks like hardware failure ... ugh -_-.
Did you check the performance of your videocard with MSI Afterburner or something? I'm starting to wonder if I have a hardware problem ...

As for Portal 2, is your VSync on? You won't really notice better performance above 60 fps anyway.

Edit: I think there's something wrong with the cooling. The framerate is negatively proportional with the temperature graph, stopping any graphical activity when my GPU reaches 120 degrees. Now I'm not sure what temperature ranges are normal but this looks like hardware failure ... ugh -_-.

Posted 11/26/2011 08:39 PM   
[quote name='Peashooter' date='26 November 2011 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1322339968' post='1333170']

[/quote]

Yes, v-sync is on with double buffer, triple lags like hell. Card-wise, performance is good, except that I just experience some in-game stuttering also; audio/video drivers are up to date though.
[quote name='Peashooter' date='26 November 2011 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1322339968' post='1333170']

Yes, v-sync is on with double buffer, triple lags like hell. Card-wise, performance is good, except that I just experience some in-game stuttering also; audio/video drivers are up to date though.

ASUS K53SV-SX239V

GeForce GT 540M 1GB

HDD WDS 320GB 5400rpm

15.6" 1366x768 HD

Posted 11/27/2011 10:42 AM   
Maybe this will help http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

Posted 11/27/2011 11:38 AM   
[quote name='Caday' date='27 November 2011 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1322393893' post='1333412']
Maybe this will help http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround
[/quote]

Mmh for me it doesn't seem to work, maybe the OP will be more in luck, thanks anyway /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='Caday' date='27 November 2011 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1322393893' post='1333412']

Mmh for me it doesn't seem to work, maybe the OP will be more in luck, thanks anyway /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

ASUS K53SV-SX239V

GeForce GT 540M 1GB

HDD WDS 320GB 5400rpm

15.6" 1366x768 HD

Posted 11/27/2011 05:15 PM   
I think I worked out the problem; it's a hardware issue so I guess I'll be calling the vendor tomorrow to get it fixed ...

I got an interesting new problem where something mysterious would hog one of my CPU's to 100%, slowing down my whole computer. In Task Manager there was nothing to be found so I installed Process Explorer (which looks deeper than Task Manager) and found out that a process called "Hardware Interrupts & DPCs" was eating up one of my CPU's. That indicated that some driver was getting too much CPU time, resulting in the CPU being constantly preoccupied with that faulty process.

With a handy program called LatencyMon I found out that a driver called "ACPI" was getting insane amounts of CPU time, but this ACPI process only appeared when I was playing games. It starts to display faulty behavior when my computer gets hot. So I'm at a point now where I'm not sure what to do myself. My computer gets too hot and frames start dropping, and simultaneously there's the ACPI process which starts to hog my CPU, slowing down the computer even more. And this is all present after a complete format C and windows reinstall.

I hope there's a magician out there who reads this and knows a good fix :-).

(linky below didn't work for me btw)
I think I worked out the problem; it's a hardware issue so I guess I'll be calling the vendor tomorrow to get it fixed ...

I got an interesting new problem where something mysterious would hog one of my CPU's to 100%, slowing down my whole computer. In Task Manager there was nothing to be found so I installed Process Explorer (which looks deeper than Task Manager) and found out that a process called "Hardware Interrupts & DPCs" was eating up one of my CPU's. That indicated that some driver was getting too much CPU time, resulting in the CPU being constantly preoccupied with that faulty process.

With a handy program called LatencyMon I found out that a driver called "ACPI" was getting insane amounts of CPU time, but this ACPI process only appeared when I was playing games. It starts to display faulty behavior when my computer gets hot. So I'm at a point now where I'm not sure what to do myself. My computer gets too hot and frames start dropping, and simultaneously there's the ACPI process which starts to hog my CPU, slowing down the computer even more. And this is all present after a complete format C and windows reinstall.

Posted 12/07/2011 10:06 PM   
Did you try BIOS update/reflash? That might update the
CPU microcode.

[quote name='Peashooter' date='07 December 2011 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1323295591' post='1339075']

[/quote]
Did you try BIOS update/reflash? That might update the

CPU microcode.

[quote name='Peashooter' date='07 December 2011 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1323295591' post='1339075']

Posted 12/18/2011 09:00 PM   
Yup, that did the trick! Thanks tamas!
Yup, that did the trick! Thanks tamas!

Posted 02/13/2012 03:22 PM   
I have a similar problem with my Acer Aspire 5742G too. Specs:
i3-380M
GT540M (301.24, but tried many drivers)
4GB RAM

When playing every game, the framerate starts at 60FPS (Vsync-on) always. For example in league of legends, if i leave the fps to reach the maximum, they reach 169 FPS. Then, after some minutes, something throttles down the GPU LOAD to 3% and I start getting 25FPS when it's the best, 9 FPS at its worst (team fights).
GPU Temp reaches at most 75°C for the NVidia card. Measurements are done with MSI Afterburner.
I also tried to underclock the GPU to lower temps, but without luck. I tried to set the "Maximum performance" setting in the drivers, without luck.
Then i tried to run MSI KOMBUSTOR to see at what temperature it slows down, and i see something i can't believe: it DOESEN'T.
That's right it's there for 7 minutes now, reaching 90°C, and GPU LOAD is at 99% and never went down.
I'm stopping it now to prevent some damage, but seems quite evident that GPU temperature is not the cause of this problem.

I've searched everywhere, I can't just track the problem down.

(8 minutes now, 91°C, GPU LOAD still 99%)

Why is my 540M slowing down while i play? Is this thing driver-controlled? Is MSI-Kombustor avoiding some temperature check as it's doing benchmarks? How can I avoid the temperature check too? I just don't play very much on the laptop, but when I want to play some game in a week or another I want to play decently..

EDIT: At 95°C the laptop did shutdown automaticly to prevent overheating. No damage, it's working as it was doing before. But it never throttled down the GPU load. Never. Why it does while i'm playing? Is something different that is throttling my GPU down instead of drivers? Maybe some windows driver?

i3-380M

4GB RAM

When playing every game, the framerate starts at 60FPS (Vsync-on) always. For example in league of legends, if i leave the fps to reach the maximum, they reach 169 FPS. Then, after some minutes, something throttles down the GPU LOAD to 3% and I start getting 25FPS when it's the best, 9 FPS at its worst (team fights).

GPU Temp reaches at most 75°C for the NVidia card. Measurements are done with MSI Afterburner.

I also tried to underclock the GPU to lower temps, but without luck. I tried to set the "Maximum performance" setting in the drivers, without luck.

Then i tried to run MSI KOMBUSTOR to see at what temperature it slows down, and i see something i can't believe: it DOESEN'T.

That's right it's there for 7 minutes now, reaching 90°C, and GPU LOAD is at 99% and never went down.

I'm stopping it now to prevent some damage, but seems quite evident that GPU temperature is not the cause of this problem.

Why is my 540M slowing down while i play? Is this thing driver-controlled? Is MSI-Kombustor avoiding some temperature check as it's doing benchmarks? How can I avoid the temperature check too? I just don't play very much on the laptop, but when I want to play some game in a week or another I want to play decently..

EDIT: At 95°C the laptop did shutdown automaticly to prevent overheating. No damage, it's working as it was doing before. But it never throttled down the GPU load. Never. Why it does while i'm playing? Is something different that is throttling my GPU down instead of drivers? Maybe some windows driver?

Posted 05/16/2012 11:21 PM   
[quote name='funforums' date='17 May 2012 - 07:21 AM' timestamp='1337210488' post='1409345']
i3-380M
4GB RAM

[/quote]

basically gt540m is a useless card, i have one too :)
[quote name='funforums' date='17 May 2012 - 07:21 AM' timestamp='1337210488' post='1409345']

i3-380M

4GB RAM

Posted 06/16/2012 12:10 PM   
[quote name='eNQues' date='16 June 2012 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1339848649' post='1422070']
[/quote]

Like I said on yet another wrong assertion based post of yours, the issue isn't on the Nvidia GPU or the Intel IGP, but rather the Optimus GPU switching tech that's faulty by design.
[quote name='eNQues' date='16 June 2012 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1339848649' post='1422070']

Like I said on yet another wrong assertion based post of yours, the issue isn't on the Nvidia GPU or the Intel IGP, but rather the Optimus GPU switching tech that's faulty by design.

Posted 06/16/2012 02:15 PM   
TO THOSE WHO HAD PROBLEMS WITH GT540M AND WITH INTEL PROCESSORS, HERE'S THE FIX:
UNINSTALL INTEL HD GRAPHICS CONTROLLER. ITS A CONFLICT THAT NONE KNOWS. I WAS LUCKY TO DISCOVER IT.
TO THOSE WHO HAD PROBLEMS WITH GT540M AND WITH INTEL PROCESSORS, HERE'S THE FIX:

UNINSTALL INTEL HD GRAPHICS CONTROLLER. ITS A CONFLICT THAT NONE KNOWS. I WAS LUCKY TO DISCOVER IT.

Posted 06/17/2012 03:44 AM   
[quote name='geforcekiller98' date='17 June 2012 - 04:44 AM' timestamp='1339904684' post='1422253']
[/quote]

First of all, CAPS ARE FOR TROLLS.

Second, the Intel IGP driver is absolutely required for proper IGP and GPU operation, as well as GPU switching to work correctly. Seems like you're now bringing up some bogus info of Live Chat, when the Nvidia support page has installation guidelines.

And again, uninstalling the Intel IGP driver is one of the worst mistakes you can EVER do. The Intel IGP driver is required for regular GDI operations, as well as basic image output, and some people went by the wrong assumption that uninstalling the Intel IGP driver would force the Nvidia GPU to take place. That's wrong, Optimus doesn't work like that, and if you think otherwise, I recommend you to start reading on what Optimus really is.
[quote name='geforcekiller98' date='17 June 2012 - 04:44 AM' timestamp='1339904684' post='1422253']

First of all, CAPS ARE FOR TROLLS.

Second, the Intel IGP driver is absolutely required for proper IGP and GPU operation, as well as GPU switching to work correctly. Seems like you're now bringing up some bogus info of Live Chat, when the Nvidia support page has installation guidelines.

And again, uninstalling the Intel IGP driver is one of the worst mistakes you can EVER do. The Intel IGP driver is required for regular GDI operations, as well as basic image output, and some people went by the wrong assumption that uninstalling the Intel IGP driver would force the Nvidia GPU to take place. That's wrong, Optimus doesn't work like that, and if you think otherwise, I recommend you to start reading on what Optimus really is.

Posted 06/17/2012 01:58 PM   
First of all, I'm not trolling, second of all, I know what's optimus, thirdly, I tried it before and it worked perfectly. Questions?
First of all, I'm not trolling, second of all, I know what's optimus, thirdly, I tried it before and it worked perfectly. Questions?

Posted 06/18/2012 05:38 AM   
Scroll To Top