Trying to install Geforce GT520 Graphics Card.
Hey, I just bought a GeForce GT520 2GB DDR3 memory graphics card from best buy last night and I'm having trouble trying to install it. I put it in the computer already, and installed the drivers but under my display adapters I'm still getting my old graphics card the nForce 630i. I believe it is integrated already but I have no idea how to get the GT520 to show up. I'm pretty sure I socketed right, I've done and redone it atleast twice and pushed it down all the way. So basically when I go to device manager, it doesn't show up and could that be because I have an integrated graphics card? Because I don't see it in the modem. I'm running Windows Vista 64-Bit on my desktop.
Hey, I just bought a GeForce GT520 2GB DDR3 memory graphics card from best buy last night and I'm having trouble trying to install it. I put it in the computer already, and installed the drivers but under my display adapters I'm still getting my old graphics card the nForce 630i. I believe it is integrated already but I have no idea how to get the GT520 to show up. I'm pretty sure I socketed right, I've done and redone it atleast twice and pushed it down all the way. So basically when I go to device manager, it doesn't show up and could that be because I have an integrated graphics card? Because I don't see it in the modem. I'm running Windows Vista 64-Bit on my desktop.

Posted 11/25/2011 05:03 PM   
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='25 November 2011 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1322240583' post='1332696']
[/quote]
if you have integrated graphics look in your bios and make the correct change in the graphics setting for your mother board for installing an add-in graphics card. some systems will let you do it in device manager
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='25 November 2011 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1322240583' post='1332696']

if you have integrated graphics look in your bios and make the correct change in the graphics setting for your mother board for installing an add-in graphics card. some systems will let you do it in device manager

Posted 11/26/2011 01:34 AM   
Well I got the graphics card fan to turn on and stuff, and when I installed the drivers it prompted me to restart and everything and when the computer turned on it had the Nvidia program thing. However, under device manager I can not find it, and my FPS has not improved in any way and is still lingering around 15-20.
Well I got the graphics card fan to turn on and stuff, and when I installed the drivers it prompted me to restart and everything and when the computer turned on it had the Nvidia program thing. However, under device manager I can not find it, and my FPS has not improved in any way and is still lingering around 15-20.

Posted 11/26/2011 02:58 PM   
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='26 November 2011 - 06:58 AM' timestamp='1322319519' post='1333066']
[/quote]
your mother board as an nForce 7150 graphics chipset built into the board therefore you need to turn it off either in the bios or in device manager.
not sure which one as i have never worked with 630i mother board. i googled your board and found the specs.
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='26 November 2011 - 06:58 AM' timestamp='1322319519' post='1333066']

your mother board as an nForce 7150 graphics chipset built into the board therefore you need to turn it off either in the bios or in device manager.

not sure which one as i have never worked with 630i mother board. i googled your board and found the specs.

Posted 11/26/2011 05:25 PM   
Kinda confused on what exactly what I'm looking for, sorry. I went to device manager, and disabled the Display Adapter the nForce 630i. I then proceeded to reinstall the drivers on my graphics card with the clean install. But nothing has changed. I went to the bios, but I got a little scared on what exactly I was supposed to change. Sorry!

Was the graphics card supposed to show up in the Device Manager?
Kinda confused on what exactly what I'm looking for, sorry. I went to device manager, and disabled the Display Adapter the nForce 630i. I then proceeded to reinstall the drivers on my graphics card with the clean install. But nothing has changed. I went to the bios, but I got a little scared on what exactly I was supposed to change. Sorry!

Posted 11/27/2011 05:38 AM   
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='26 November 2011 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1322372281' post='1333346']

[/quote]
both cards should show up in device manager but your new one would have a yellow or red box over it due to the onboard graphics still on.
I really can't tell you how to do it without sitting in front of your computer and showing you, years ago i learned how to do it by typing "how to turn off onboard graphics" in the google search engine. once i read how to do it, it is very easy.
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='26 November 2011 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1322372281' post='1333346']

both cards should show up in device manager but your new one would have a yellow or red box over it due to the onboard graphics still on.

I really can't tell you how to do it without sitting in front of your computer and showing you, years ago i learned how to do it by typing "how to turn off onboard graphics" in the google search engine. once i read how to do it, it is very easy.

Posted 11/27/2011 05:55 AM   
i just googled it
remove the new card you have now and boot your computer in safe mode, mine is pressing the del key a whole bunch after i turn it on but most you hit the f8 key alot. anyways in safemode go to device manager and right click your onbard graphics and choose disable, then close everything and shut of computer, then install your new card and hook your power to it and your monitor cable and turn it on, the screen display will be kinda ugly due to it starting in standard vga mode, after windows does it's driver install then you can install your nvidia drivers and re-boot and all should be good.
bottom line is you need to disable it in safemode before you install the new card
i just googled it

remove the new card you have now and boot your computer in safe mode, mine is pressing the del key a whole bunch after i turn it on but most you hit the f8 key alot. anyways in safemode go to device manager and right click your onbard graphics and choose disable, then close everything and shut of computer, then install your new card and hook your power to it and your monitor cable and turn it on, the screen display will be kinda ugly due to it starting in standard vga mode, after windows does it's driver install then you can install your nvidia drivers and re-boot and all should be good.

bottom line is you need to disable it in safemode before you install the new card

Posted 11/27/2011 06:01 AM   
I did all that except whenever I tried to plug the monitor cord into the Graphics Card slot, the monitor wouldn't turn on no matter what. So I had to plug it back on the back of the modem into the blue slot. I think the problem might be that the original modem slot is a VGA type, but the Graphics Card is DVI, so I might have to buy a DVI to DVI cord. Also, ", after windows does it's driver install then you can install your nvidia drivers and re-boot and all should be good.", my Windows never asked for a drivers install. I waited around 5-8 minutes or so and it never popped up so I just did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. But alas, it still has not worked. Should I return the graphics card and get a new one or just buy the cord and see if it works?

I don't know if it might be my computer, because it still did not appear under device manager.
I did all that except whenever I tried to plug the monitor cord into the Graphics Card slot, the monitor wouldn't turn on no matter what. So I had to plug it back on the back of the modem into the blue slot. I think the problem might be that the original modem slot is a VGA type, but the Graphics Card is DVI, so I might have to buy a DVI to DVI cord. Also, ", after windows does it's driver install then you can install your nvidia drivers and re-boot and all should be good.", my Windows never asked for a drivers install. I waited around 5-8 minutes or so and it never popped up so I just did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. But alas, it still has not worked. Should I return the graphics card and get a new one or just buy the cord and see if it works?

I don't know if it might be my computer, because it still did not appear under device manager.

Posted 11/27/2011 02:35 PM   
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='27 November 2011 - 06:35 AM' timestamp='1322404507' post='1333453']

[/quote]
they make a vga to dvi adapter, most cards come with one. also windows 7 unlike xp will install it's drivers without asking you, mine will anyway, it shows down by the clock that it's installing drivers and if you click on the icon it will open and show you the driver install.
i will look up more specs on your mother board but it should have a pci-e 16x slot for your card. are you putting it in this slot or a standard pci slot?
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='27 November 2011 - 06:35 AM' timestamp='1322404507' post='1333453']

they make a vga to dvi adapter, most cards come with one. also windows 7 unlike xp will install it's drivers without asking you, mine will anyway, it shows down by the clock that it's installing drivers and if you click on the icon it will open and show you the driver install.

i will look up more specs on your mother board but it should have a pci-e 16x slot for your card. are you putting it in this slot or a standard pci slot?

Posted 11/27/2011 04:50 PM   
Um. I tried using the adapter, but i can't get it to work. My computer is Windows Vista - 64 bit. I'm pretty sure its in the right slot because the other slots are occupied by 2 ram sticks and there's no other room. I could take a picture and post it if you like.
Um. I tried using the adapter, but i can't get it to work. My computer is Windows Vista - 64 bit. I'm pretty sure its in the right slot because the other slots are occupied by 2 ram sticks and there's no other room. I could take a picture and post it if you like.

Posted 11/28/2011 01:09 AM   
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='27 November 2011 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1322442563' post='1333739']
[/quote]
the thing is a pci-e card will fit in a standard pci slot but the card won't work as the slots allmost look the same. a pic would help.
the difference in the slots are the pci-e will have a small plastic latch at one end and the standard pci slot won't have a latch.

edit: i just pulled up a pic on your mother board and you have 4 slots at the bottom the top small one is pcix1, then a pci-ex16, then 2 standard pci slots so the 2nd slot with the latch is that the slot your using? you can also look at it as the first long slot.
[quote name='lnsatiable' date='27 November 2011 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1322442563' post='1333739']

the thing is a pci-e card will fit in a standard pci slot but the card won't work as the slots allmost look the same. a pic would help.

the difference in the slots are the pci-e will have a small plastic latch at one end and the standard pci slot won't have a latch.

edit: i just pulled up a pic on your mother board and you have 4 slots at the bottom the top small one is pcix1, then a pci-ex16, then 2 standard pci slots so the 2nd slot with the latch is that the slot your using? you can also look at it as the first long slot.

Posted 11/28/2011 04:07 AM   
[IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/_Acorn_/IMG20111127_003.jpg[/IMG]
The first one is my Networks Card, because the one at the back of the modem malfunctioned so I had to install a new one.
I don't know what the one under it is, the small looking one. Then there is an empty slot which is small, and then the graphics card. Which I tried to focus directly in the middle.

The first one is my Networks Card, because the one at the back of the modem malfunctioned so I had to install a new one.

I don't know what the one under it is, the small looking one. Then there is an empty slot which is small, and then the graphics card. Which I tried to focus directly in the middle.

Posted 11/28/2011 04:56 AM   
is the pic upside down or is it installed in your case that way?
also i looked up the graphics card and i see it has 2 monitor conections, have you tried your monitor in both?
and so far the pics i found online of the card i can't see if it requires power from your power supply like maybe a 4-pin molex, is there one on it?
is the pic upside down or is it installed in your case that way?

also i looked up the graphics card and i see it has 2 monitor conections, have you tried your monitor in both?

and so far the pics i found online of the card i can't see if it requires power from your power supply like maybe a 4-pin molex, is there one on it?

Posted 11/28/2011 05:20 AM   
after reading through our post a 2nd time i think maybe the card is defective as i think you have performed the installation correctly, so maybe take the card back to place of purchase and ask for another one.
after reading through our post a 2nd time i think maybe the card is defective as i think you have performed the installation correctly, so maybe take the card back to place of purchase and ask for another one.

Posted 11/28/2011 05:30 AM   
Scroll To Top