Laptop GT540M not being recognised
  1 / 2    
I own a Asus N53SV with a GeForce GT540M. Up until about 3 weeks ago the Optimus graphics switching was working fine. Now however the graphics card is not being recognised by games (Starcraft 2, TF2) at all, defaulting to the Intel integrated graphics instead. I have installed the latest Intel integrated graphics drivers and tried running both the most recent beta (285.79 and non-beta (285.62) drivers for the GT540M, to no avail. Any ideas on what's going on?
I own a Asus N53SV with a GeForce GT540M. Up until about 3 weeks ago the Optimus graphics switching was working fine. Now however the graphics card is not being recognised by games (Starcraft 2, TF2) at all, defaulting to the Intel integrated graphics instead. I have installed the latest Intel integrated graphics drivers and tried running both the most recent beta (285.79 and non-beta (285.62) drivers for the GT540M, to no avail. Any ideas on what's going on?

Posted 11/23/2011 12:16 AM   
Have you gone into NVidia control panel and set the NVidia card to the preferred GPU? My 540m is recognized with TF2 and all games I play (bf3, skyrim)
Have you gone into NVidia control panel and set the NVidia card to the preferred GPU? My 540m is recognized with TF2 and all games I play (bf3, skyrim)

Posted 11/23/2011 12:52 AM   
[quote name='redmonke255' date='22 November 2011 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1322009559' post='1331283']
[/quote]

If this does not work, you are facing the same issue that I and many others are also facing. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
[quote name='redmonke255' date='22 November 2011 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1322009559' post='1331283']

If this does not work, you are facing the same issue that I and many others are also facing. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 11/23/2011 01:10 AM   
Yeah, it's not working. If I play a game like Skyrim that allows you to select the GPU to use, the GT540M is not displayed. It's like it doesn't exist. Funny thing is, when I use a tool like Nvidia Inspector to look at the card it activates (the N53SV has a hardware light to indicate if the GPU is being used) and runs for that program only. I've seen elsewhere that the problem may have been caused by a recent Windows 7 x64 update, any thoughts on that?
Yeah, it's not working. If I play a game like Skyrim that allows you to select the GPU to use, the GT540M is not displayed. It's like it doesn't exist. Funny thing is, when I use a tool like Nvidia Inspector to look at the card it activates (the N53SV has a hardware light to indicate if the GPU is being used) and runs for that program only. I've seen elsewhere that the problem may have been caused by a recent Windows 7 x64 update, any thoughts on that?

Posted 11/23/2011 01:51 AM   
[quote name='LancedDendrite' date='22 November 2011 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1322013100' post='1331307']
[/quote]

Two big things:
[list=1]
[*]That's an interesting discovery about the Nvidia Inspector. My software light (the driver's taskbar indicator) stays lit when it is active as well, but nothing else lights it up!
[*]This very well may be the case, and if so, it would explain why previous driver versions that worked no longer do work. Where have you read this? You may be onto something big here.
[/list]

Edit: Also, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is happening across not only nvidia cards (I have the 555M) but also manufacturers (Dell XPS 17). The one similarity here is that we do have Windows 7 x64. What processor do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
[quote name='LancedDendrite' date='22 November 2011 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1322013100' post='1331307']

Two big things:

[list=1]

• That's an interesting discovery about the Nvidia Inspector. My software light (the driver's taskbar indicator) stays lit when it is active as well, but nothing else lights it up!
  • This very well may be the case, and if so, it would explain why previous driver versions that worked no longer do work. Where have you read this? You may be onto something big here.
  • [/list]

Edit: Also, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is happening across not only nvidia cards (I have the 555M) but also manufacturers (Dell XPS 17). The one similarity here is that we do have Windows 7 x64. What processor do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted 11/23/2011 08:08 AM   
    The thread I found that talked about potential Windows Update issues is here: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/158299-nvidia-optimus-gpu-switching-problem.html Windows Update being the cause of the issue makes sense because Optimus previously worked perfectly fine. Perhaps it's mucked around with a setting in the registry? That would explain why Nvidia Inspector can make the graphics card work - it might be accessing the card independently of DirectX/Direct3D and perhaps the graphics driver stack. Is anyone from Nvidia able to comment on this? I don't think I can run that level of diagnostics.

My laptop is running an Intel Core i7-2630QM with Intel HD3000 integrated graphics, running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 FYI ethteck.

Anyway, I might look into playing Windows Update rollback-roulette at this rate - if anyone else wants to try this and tell us what happens, please do. It looks like limiting the scope to updates from within the last 4 weeks would probably find the problem.
    The thread I found that talked about potential Windows Update issues is here: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/158299-nvidia-optimus-gpu-switching-problem.html Windows Update being the cause of the issue makes sense because Optimus previously worked perfectly fine. Perhaps it's mucked around with a setting in the registry? That would explain why Nvidia Inspector can make the graphics card work - it might be accessing the card independently of DirectX/Direct3D and perhaps the graphics driver stack. Is anyone from Nvidia able to comment on this? I don't think I can run that level of diagnostics.

My laptop is running an Intel Core i7-2630QM with Intel HD3000 integrated graphics, running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 FYI ethteck.

Anyway, I might look into playing Windows Update rollback-roulette at this rate - if anyone else wants to try this and tell us what happens, please do. It looks like limiting the scope to updates from within the last 4 weeks would probably find the problem.

Posted 11/23/2011 08:24 AM   
    I'm tempted to reinstall windows, but I want to do a repair and not a clean install. What do you think? Is this a good idea?
    I'm tempted to reinstall windows, but I want to do a repair and not a clean install. What do you think? Is this a good idea?

Posted 11/23/2011 04:39 PM   
    Could you run [url="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902"]autoruns from Sysinternals[/url]?

Go to the AppInit tab. Do you have anything listed there?
    Could you run autoruns from Sysinternals?

Posted 11/23/2011 06:35 PM   
    [quote name='Teerex' date='23 November 2011 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1322073338' post='1331732']
    Could you run [url="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902"]autoruns from Sysinternals[/url]?

[/quote]

[img]http://www.ethland.com/appinit.png[/img]
    [quote name='Teerex' date='23 November 2011 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1322073338' post='1331732']

Could you run autoruns from Sysinternals?

Posted 11/23/2011 07:10 PM   
    I have only one entry listed in the first category. The reason I'm asking you to look into it is that this is what Nvidia uses to expose a launched application to the driver.

Could you expand the right side of the list to see which versions of the shims are listed? Also, which Forceware version dou you have installed presently ?
    I have only one entry listed in the first category. The reason I'm asking you to look into it is that this is what Nvidia uses to expose a launched application to the driver.

Could you expand the right side of the list to see which versions of the shims are listed? Also, which Forceware version dou you have installed presently ?

Posted 11/23/2011 08:35 PM   
    All 3 are 285.79, which is the current driver version I am using.
    All 3 are 285.79, which is the current driver version I am using.

Posted 11/23/2011 11:03 PM   
    Could you try unticking the one which has System with capital S in its path, and rebooting the system? Just to see if that does anything.

Btw, have you had 280.26 installed, ever?

It's not Windows, I have Win 7 x64 fully updated, 2630QM and GT 540M and Nvidia is properly switched on. I have even noticed a funny thing - when I play a list of videos in WMP12, it will turn on Nvidia a few seconds before the video that ''calls'' Nvidia to service comes up. It causes a funny moment of stutter near the end of the prevous video. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
    Could you try unticking the one which has System with capital S in its path, and rebooting the system? Just to see if that does anything.

Btw, have you had 280.26 installed, ever?

It's not Windows, I have Win 7 x64 fully updated, 2630QM and GT 540M and Nvidia is properly switched on. I have even noticed a funny thing - when I play a list of videos in WMP12, it will turn on Nvidia a few seconds before the video that ''calls'' Nvidia to service comes up. It causes a funny moment of stutter near the end of the prevous video. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Posted 11/24/2011 12:14 AM   
    Teerex, did you install optional updates as well as the standard Windows updates? I don't know if I've had 280.26 ever installed, would it have changed settings that even a 'clean install' (according to the Nvidia driver installer) wouldn't have eliminated?
    Teerex, did you install optional updates as well as the standard Windows updates? I don't know if I've had 280.26 ever installed, would it have changed settings that even a 'clean install' (according to the Nvidia driver installer) wouldn't have eliminated?

Posted 11/24/2011 01:07 AM   
    [img]http://www.ethland.com/appinit2.png[/img]

/blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> still no change. What a bummer. And yeah, I think I have had 280.26 installed. I install optional windows updates, too. I'm sorry to hijack your thread, LancedDendrite. We all have the same problem, and at this point I'm very frustrated. Any other ideas, Teerex?

/blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> still no change. What a bummer. And yeah, I think I have had 280.26 installed. I install optional windows updates, too. I'm sorry to hijack your thread, LancedDendrite. We all have the same problem, and at this point I'm very frustrated. Any other ideas, Teerex?

Posted 11/24/2011 01:22 AM   
    No worries, looks like half of the Optimus sub-forum has this problem in various incarnations.
    No worries, looks like half of the Optimus sub-forum has this problem in various incarnations.

Posted 11/24/2011 01:38 AM   
      1 / 2    
    Scroll To Top