Water flow circuit compromise Single loop for 3 blocks=bad, 3 loops=overkill. What about...
I have 3 water blocks: GTX580 full coverage, universal chipset and AMD CPU.

I know I don't want to run a single loop to all three in series. I can imagine the last block in the loop would get water that's too warm to cool effectively.

I think the expense of building three totally seperate loops would be overkill.

I am considering a single, parallel circuit. Basically, take the main feed line, split it into three branches, and have them join back together after going through their respective water blocks.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, your experiences would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
Tip DS
I have 3 water blocks: GTX580 full coverage, universal chipset and AMD CPU.

I know I don't want to run a single loop to all three in series. I can imagine the last block in the loop would get water that's too warm to cool effectively.

I think the expense of building three totally seperate loops would be overkill.

I am considering a single, parallel circuit. Basically, take the main feed line, split it into three branches, and have them join back together after going through their respective water blocks.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, your experiences would be helpful for me.

Thanks,

Tip DS

Posted 11/18/2011 09:39 PM   
OK, looks like nobody bit at this one. I decided to give it a try. Everything seems to be working well. It appears the 580 is getting the better part of the cooling, as I haven't broken 52C on the GPU temp yet, but the CPU has cracked 59C. Both temps under a heavy load. For reference, both readings were in excess of 80C on air cooling for the same load. Also for reference, I am using the ThermalTake Bigwater 760 Plus system to output to the water blocks. Output from the water blocks is routed through a single ThermalTake TMG1, then back to the Bigwater. I hope my experience helps someone else.

Tip DS
OK, looks like nobody bit at this one. I decided to give it a try. Everything seems to be working well. It appears the 580 is getting the better part of the cooling, as I haven't broken 52C on the GPU temp yet, but the CPU has cracked 59C. Both temps under a heavy load. For reference, both readings were in excess of 80C on air cooling for the same load. Also for reference, I am using the ThermalTake Bigwater 760 Plus system to output to the water blocks. Output from the water blocks is routed through a single ThermalTake TMG1, then back to the Bigwater. I hope my experience helps someone else.

Tip DS

Posted 12/04/2011 09:00 AM   
Post back with results.

With 3 cards, I think that most would go with 2 loops (one for the CPU and one for the GPU's).
Post back with results.

With 3 cards, I think that most would go with 2 loops (one for the CPU and one for the GPU's).

Posted 12/04/2011 03:23 PM   
Ok, it's been a while now, and I've been playing with this configuration for a while. I have stuck with the main concept, and tweaked the location of some components, added quick disconnects, etc. Regardless, the overall cooling effect seems good. In fact, under light loading, I could cool the entire system with a single 120mm radiator/fan. Obvioudly, though, the idea isn't to maintain temps at low loads. I am, and have been, running only two 120mm radiator/fan setups currently. That is plenty to keep temps out of the danger zone, even with extreem loading with approximately 10% overclocking on the CPU and minor overclocking on the GPU. Of course, I have to have the fans on full speed for this, but it's still quiter than stock air cooling, and it keeps the GPU/supporting hardware cooler than stock. I have additional radiators and fans that I'm poised to install, but... given the lack of impetus, I haven't done it yet. I will probably wait until I get my Obsidian 800D case, as I don't want to cut another hole in my current hunk-O-plunder case.

For those that love the numbers: temps for CPU/GPU are:
idle - 28/31
light - 34/38
max - 42/48

All temps listed are C. Also, keep in mind these are not very scientific data points. About the closest is the max, as it was done with software designed to tax the system, with fans on full-tilt. The others are round-about what I'm used-to-seeing for idle and light usage. As you can imagine, those number bounce around some, depending on the exact load and fan settings. I usually like to keep my fans at- or below- the noise level of my RAID array.

Ok, anyway... seems to work ok.
Ok, it's been a while now, and I've been playing with this configuration for a while. I have stuck with the main concept, and tweaked the location of some components, added quick disconnects, etc. Regardless, the overall cooling effect seems good. In fact, under light loading, I could cool the entire system with a single 120mm radiator/fan. Obvioudly, though, the idea isn't to maintain temps at low loads. I am, and have been, running only two 120mm radiator/fan setups currently. That is plenty to keep temps out of the danger zone, even with extreem loading with approximately 10% overclocking on the CPU and minor overclocking on the GPU. Of course, I have to have the fans on full speed for this, but it's still quiter than stock air cooling, and it keeps the GPU/supporting hardware cooler than stock. I have additional radiators and fans that I'm poised to install, but... given the lack of impetus, I haven't done it yet. I will probably wait until I get my Obsidian 800D case, as I don't want to cut another hole in my current hunk-O-plunder case.

For those that love the numbers: temps for CPU/GPU are:

idle - 28/31

light - 34/38

max - 42/48

All temps listed are C. Also, keep in mind these are not very scientific data points. About the closest is the max, as it was done with software designed to tax the system, with fans on full-tilt. The others are round-about what I'm used-to-seeing for idle and light usage. As you can imagine, those number bounce around some, depending on the exact load and fan settings. I usually like to keep my fans at- or below- the noise level of my RAID array.

Ok, anyway... seems to work ok.

Posted 03/12/2012 07:42 PM   
Scroll To Top