Best SSD for around the 100$ mark. Fastest and highest rated?
  1 / 2    
I am curious? I think I saw a corsair I believe it was with a 540 read and 500 something write for 114$ hmm I think it was like a 60-80 gb.
I am curious? I think I saw a corsair I believe it was with a 540 read and 500 something write for 114$ hmm I think it was like a 60-80 gb.

Posted 11/18/2011 12:03 AM   
I bought my force 3 120 for like $120USD AR. I got a 120Gb Vertex plus for $60. I like both a lot, but sandforce SATA III controllers are the best for most people.
I bought my force 3 120 for like $120USD AR. I got a 120Gb Vertex plus for $60. I like both a lot, but sandforce SATA III controllers are the best for most people.

Done.

Posted 11/18/2011 12:45 AM   
Best value is 120GB OCZ Agility 3 or Vertex 3 from Newegg w/ coupon code and rebate.

[url="http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/275792"]http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/275792[/url]
Best value is 120GB OCZ Agility 3 or Vertex 3 from Newegg w/ coupon code and rebate.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/275792

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 11/18/2011 03:19 PM   
Ok guys I need help here... I bought a Corsair Force 3 60 gb ssd @ 550 read and 495 write. It's a beauty what can I say.. This is my first time witnessing an ssd with windows and game on it. However.. My other 500gb which I thought I would keep everything as it was just incase this ssd ever fails. So my problem is why can I access some programs like yahoo, skype, crysis 2, but not oblivion and other random programs like realtemp?

I also understand that I only have 12 gb left of memory on the ssd, what is the best way to optimise what I have using these two drives? When I install new programs I'm going to want to install them to the 500gb, but is it going to give me problems like mentioned above? Or could it be that those files were associated with the other copy of windows(500gb) and that is why they won't work?
Ok guys I need help here... I bought a Corsair Force 3 60 gb ssd @ 550 read and 495 write. It's a beauty what can I say.. This is my first time witnessing an ssd with windows and game on it. However.. My other 500gb which I thought I would keep everything as it was just incase this ssd ever fails. So my problem is why can I access some programs like yahoo, skype, crysis 2, but not oblivion and other random programs like realtemp?

I also understand that I only have 12 gb left of memory on the ssd, what is the best way to optimise what I have using these two drives? When I install new programs I'm going to want to install them to the 500gb, but is it going to give me problems like mentioned above? Or could it be that those files were associated with the other copy of windows(500gb) and that is why they won't work?

Posted 11/20/2011 06:33 PM   
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1321813985' post='1329828']

[/quote]

[i]You cannot simply disconnect a SATA storage device with an operating system installed and hook it up and expect it to work. The issue is the registry entries affiliated with the previous (assuming still present on partition) version of Windows.

If you need some optimization tips for the SSD with the OS [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213302&pid=1310407&st=0&#entry1310407"]read through my guide here.[/url] However, I can tell you that the way you are trying to access the files on the initial partition (HDD) will potentially damage the life and data rates of your SSD. Essentially, you want the SSD priority isolated from the HDD to the point the SSD is only functioning as the operating system, while the HDD is for mass storage. Disregard the areas of my guide that do not pertain to your situation directly, but you may find the information very informative nonetheless. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1321813985' post='1329828']

You cannot simply disconnect a SATA storage device with an operating system installed and hook it up and expect it to work. The issue is the registry entries affiliated with the previous (assuming still present on partition) version of Windows.

If you need some optimization tips for the SSD with the OS read through my guide here. However, I can tell you that the way you are trying to access the files on the initial partition (HDD) will potentially damage the life and data rates of your SSD. Essentially, you want the SSD priority isolated from the HDD to the point the SSD is only functioning as the operating system, while the HDD is for mass storage. Disregard the areas of my guide that do not pertain to your situation directly, but you may find the information very informative nonetheless.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 11/20/2011 07:20 PM   
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1321813985' post='1329828']

[/quote]

Just use custom install paths. That's the easiest way. I personally move a few directories around, but that's not really needed.
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1321813985' post='1329828']

Just use custom install paths. That's the easiest way. I personally move a few directories around, but that's not really needed.

Done.

Posted 11/20/2011 07:20 PM   

[/quote]

If you got the SSD, installed windows on it, and didn't reisntall programs installed onto the 500GB, you can't use some programs that require registry or document files installed to C: even if the directory is the 500GB.

If you got the SSD, installed windows on it, and didn't reisntall programs installed onto the 500GB, you can't use some programs that require registry or document files installed to C: even if the directory is the 500GB.
[quote name='Righthooks' date='20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1321816849' post='1329840']
[i]You cannot simply disconnect a SATA storage device with an operating system installed and hook it up and expect it to work. The issue is the registry entries affiliated with the previous (assuming still present on partition) version of Windows.

If you need some optimization tips for the SSD with the OS [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213302&pid=1310407&st=0&#entry1310407"]read through my guide here.[/url] However, I can tell you that the way you are trying to access the files on the initial partition (HDD) will potentially damage the life and data rates of your SSD. Essentially, you want the SSD priority isolated from the HDD to the point the SSD is only functioning as the operating system, while the HDD is for mass storage. Disregard the areas of my guide that do not pertain to your situation directly, but you may find the information very informative nonetheless. [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

Well I am only booting from the ssd and not hdd, is this ok? I thought it would be a good idea to keep the hdd as a backup with everything installed, not a good idea? When I get back I can take a look at your guide there. I really want to boot from the ssd and run a few games on it but mass storage on the hdd.
[quote name='Righthooks' date='20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1321816849' post='1329840']

You cannot simply disconnect a SATA storage device with an operating system installed and hook it up and expect it to work. The issue is the registry entries affiliated with the previous (assuming still present on partition) version of Windows.

If you need some optimization tips for the SSD with the OS read through my guide here. However, I can tell you that the way you are trying to access the files on the initial partition (HDD) will potentially damage the life and data rates of your SSD. Essentially, you want the SSD priority isolated from the HDD to the point the SSD is only functioning as the operating system, while the HDD is for mass storage. Disregard the areas of my guide that do not pertain to your situation directly, but you may find the information very informative nonetheless.

-Hooks

Well I am only booting from the ssd and not hdd, is this ok? I thought it would be a good idea to keep the hdd as a backup with everything installed, not a good idea? When I get back I can take a look at your guide there. I really want to boot from the ssd and run a few games on it but mass storage on the hdd.

Posted 11/20/2011 08:46 PM   
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1321822000' post='1329874']
[/quote]

[i]The issue is that you originally had the HDD formatted as a Windows partition, had the drive been formatted as simply storage NTFS or otherwise, there would be no issue. The labeling that occurs with new drives overriding existing ones causes conflicts in searching for file directories. Therefor, I would recommend locating the save data (by itself) along with any stand-alone data (not attached to primary program files) you wish to keep, and formatting the HDD completely back to nothing. Once this is done, assign a new alphabetical reference to the drive; proceed with installing to it via the operating system located on the SSD. I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to bypass an existing Windows partition to another, especially if they share the same serial registration. Data placed on both drives may be compromised, as well as the integrity of the drive's operation. What you are doing, metaphorically, is placing hurdles in the path of the operating system when it is trying to run to the files. Eventually the operating system will trip and get injured. [/i]

EDIT: [i]When I mentioned locating data you wish to save, extract it via DVD-ROM through created sub folders...DO NOT drag and drop. The saves can be placed back into the created game folders following the installation, and it will be like nothing changed.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1321822000' post='1329874']

The issue is that you originally had the HDD formatted as a Windows partition, had the drive been formatted as simply storage NTFS or otherwise, there would be no issue. The labeling that occurs with new drives overriding existing ones causes conflicts in searching for file directories. Therefor, I would recommend locating the save data (by itself) along with any stand-alone data (not attached to primary program files) you wish to keep, and formatting the HDD completely back to nothing. Once this is done, assign a new alphabetical reference to the drive; proceed with installing to it via the operating system located on the SSD. I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to bypass an existing Windows partition to another, especially if they share the same serial registration. Data placed on both drives may be compromised, as well as the integrity of the drive's operation. What you are doing, metaphorically, is placing hurdles in the path of the operating system when it is trying to run to the files. Eventually the operating system will trip and get injured.

EDIT: When I mentioned locating data you wish to save, extract it via DVD-ROM through created sub folders...DO NOT drag and drop. The saves can be placed back into the created game folders following the installation, and it will be like nothing changed.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 11/20/2011 10:02 PM   
@Hooks. He doesn't have to format the HDD. He just needs to boot to recovery console and change the HDD drive letter. He can then salvage his personal files and erase the rest of it.

Still I'd start from scratch if I had something to backup onto.
@Hooks. He doesn't have to format the HDD. He just needs to boot to recovery console and change the HDD drive letter. He can then salvage his personal files and erase the rest of it.

Done.

Posted 11/20/2011 11:22 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 November 2011 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1321831346' post='1329985']

[/quote]
[i]
Considering the integrity of the files present on the drive have been compromised in the absence of a bootable operating system in which the registries were assigned...yes he does. Otherwise, he has both wasted storage capacity, and errors present that another installation version would detect. For example .pak files present from multiple installations would jeopardize run-time operation. You have to remember, there was an operating system in which the entries were assigned previously, we aren't talking about a blank storage device with simple installation folders present. The letter assignment is irrelevant. That is simply an after-touch following the removal of information present on the drive, and can be performed at any time provided data is absent in both primary and subsequent file folders. In other words, a blank drive. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 November 2011 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1321831346' post='1329985']

Considering the integrity of the files present on the drive have been compromised in the absence of a bootable operating system in which the registries were assigned...yes he does. Otherwise, he has both wasted storage capacity, and errors present that another installation version would detect. For example .pak files present from multiple installations would jeopardize run-time operation. You have to remember, there was an operating system in which the entries were assigned previously, we aren't talking about a blank storage device with simple installation folders present. The letter assignment is irrelevant. That is simply an after-touch following the removal of information present on the drive, and can be performed at any time provided data is absent in both primary and subsequent file folders. In other words, a blank drive.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 11/20/2011 11:56 PM   
@Hooks:

Unless he cloned the drive this should be a non issue. He can perform a clean install on the SSD and then mount the HDD and yank all the now unnecessary files from the HDD.

BTW I'm only talking about doing this to save personal data in C:\Users. Launching applications from this drive would be a bad idea before deleting the old registry. Trying to run two independent drives as OS drives is a bad idea. I'd just create a second partition and RAID1 with that volume If I was concerned about failure.
@Hooks:

Unless he cloned the drive this should be a non issue. He can perform a clean install on the SSD and then mount the HDD and yank all the now unnecessary files from the HDD.

BTW I'm only talking about doing this to save personal data in C:\Users. Launching applications from this drive would be a bad idea before deleting the old registry. Trying to run two independent drives as OS drives is a bad idea. I'd just create a second partition and RAID1 with that volume If I was concerned about failure.

Done.

Posted 11/21/2011 12:22 AM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 November 2011 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1321834937' post='1330000']
@Hooks:

BTW I'm only talking about doing this to save personal data in C:\Users
[/quote]

[i]He already has Windows on the SSD as the primary boot from what I gathered. His main question was outlining the usage issues with preexisting data on the HDD, which in fact held the first installation version of Windows. Due to the nature of applications, "mimicking" the use of games through an alternative operating system will not work as their values have been embedded. This is why he cannot launch specific applications. To my knowledge, maintaining two operating system registries is only possible via dual boot scenarios. Transitions of file properties from one OS drive to another while one OS holds the HKEYs related to the launch is literally impossible.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='20 November 2011 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1321834937' post='1330000']

@Hooks:

BTW I'm only talking about doing this to save personal data in C:\Users

He already has Windows on the SSD as the primary boot from what I gathered. His main question was outlining the usage issues with preexisting data on the HDD, which in fact held the first installation version of Windows. Due to the nature of applications, "mimicking" the use of games through an alternative operating system will not work as their values have been embedded. This is why he cannot launch specific applications. To my knowledge, maintaining two operating system registries is only possible via dual boot scenarios. Transitions of file properties from one OS drive to another while one OS holds the HKEYs related to the launch is literally impossible.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 11/21/2011 12:31 AM   
Ok so the best thing for me to do is format the 500gb HDD and assign it to my ssd?
Ok so the best thing for me to do is format the 500gb HDD and assign it to my ssd?

Posted 11/21/2011 03:02 AM   
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1321844533' post='1330039']
[/quote]

Yes. Back up your data, format and reinstall your applications with custom installation paths.

@Hooks: I misunderstood the question. I thought he was just trying to keep his personal files in tact. There are ways to do what he wants to do......but all of them outside of virtualization end horribly.
[quote name='pancakepaddle' date='20 November 2011 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1321844533' post='1330039']

Yes. Back up your data, format and reinstall your applications with custom installation paths.

@Hooks: I misunderstood the question. I thought he was just trying to keep his personal files in tact. There are ways to do what he wants to do......but all of them outside of virtualization end horribly.

Done.

Posted 11/21/2011 03:35 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top