Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, version 285.62 stoppd responding
  1 / 2    
I've got a Gefore 9800 GTX+ Running Windows 7

Any ideas what this would be? Happens randomly while playing Starcraft 2 (on cutscenes/cinematics, never during gameplay)Empire Total War, and Skyrim.

The screen goes black, and after 2 seconds or so it corrects itself. Sometimes though, it just crashes my game all together
I've got a Gefore 9800 GTX+ Running Windows 7

Any ideas what this would be? Happens randomly while playing Starcraft 2 (on cutscenes/cinematics, never during gameplay)Empire Total War, and Skyrim.

The screen goes black, and after 2 seconds or so it corrects itself. Sometimes though, it just crashes my game all together

Posted 11/17/2011 09:21 PM   
I'm having the same problem. I started with Windows Vista 64 and was getting a blank screen and an error when it recovered saying "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" so after removing all old drivers I reinstalled new drivers and was still having the same problem. I also noticed that the card was getting a little hot and it seemed the GPU fan wasn't spinning up when it should, so I stripped the card down and renewed the heatsink compound, but it still gave the error and was getting hot. I used a fan manager and that seemed to help, but it still failed. So in the end I formatted the drive and installed Win 7, that meant the only drivers on the system for the card were the ones installed by Windows, but it still failed, by going blank for a few seconds and then giving the error "nvidia windows kernel mode driver stopped responding" So I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but still no joy. So now I very tired and unhappy. This problem also looks very similar to the problem other people are having with other Nvidia cards like the GTX 460. I hope somebody find a solution soon :)
I'm having the same problem. I started with Windows Vista 64 and was getting a blank screen and an error when it recovered saying "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" so after removing all old drivers I reinstalled new drivers and was still having the same problem. I also noticed that the card was getting a little hot and it seemed the GPU fan wasn't spinning up when it should, so I stripped the card down and renewed the heatsink compound, but it still gave the error and was getting hot. I used a fan manager and that seemed to help, but it still failed. So in the end I formatted the drive and installed Win 7, that meant the only drivers on the system for the card were the ones installed by Windows, but it still failed, by going blank for a few seconds and then giving the error "nvidia windows kernel mode driver stopped responding" So I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but still no joy. So now I very tired and unhappy. This problem also looks very similar to the problem other people are having with other Nvidia cards like the GTX 460. I hope somebody find a solution soon :)

Posted 11/18/2011 04:56 AM   
My suspicions were about heat originally. It kinda seemed like it happened during some graphically intense moments I guess, but I never checked up on it.

But yea, seems like something out of our control
My suspicions were about heat originally. It kinda seemed like it happened during some graphically intense moments I guess, but I never checked up on it.

But yea, seems like something out of our control

Posted 11/18/2011 05:39 AM   
I've been having the same troubles.

Windows 7 64bit, Nvidia 9800gt running 285.62, amd 9600 quad core, 8 gb RAM.

It started With Settlers 7 and then almost all of my games would have problems. Tropico 3 I can Alt+Tab out of and it corrects the problem, but that's just not a good work around for most games.

My only idea is to roll back drivers...
I've been having the same troubles.

Windows 7 64bit, Nvidia 9800gt running 285.62, amd 9600 quad core, 8 gb RAM.

It started With Settlers 7 and then almost all of my games would have problems. Tropico 3 I can Alt+Tab out of and it corrects the problem, but that's just not a good work around for most games.

My only idea is to roll back drivers...

Posted 11/20/2011 02:53 PM   
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit, GeForce 9400 GT running 285.62, AMD Athlon II X2 240, 4Gb RAM

Another fellow sufferer here. I am also getting occasionally screen lock-ups that cannot be cured by CTRL+ALT+DEL; the computer has to be powered down. I've cleaned out Nvidia drivers using Drive Sweeper, rolled back drivers, cleaned up the File Registry, tried a clean installation of 285.62, removed any dust accumulations from inside the computer and tried a whole host of other suggested remedies, none of which have worked.

My latest experiment is to remove anything relating to 285.62 (again!) and then install the original (Vista) NVidia drivers from the disc that was supplied with the computer.

The evidence from this site and the internet in general indicates that this is a 'known issue' and yet nobody seems to know the cause. My best guess is that it has to be driver related, which means the solution lies with NVidia.
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit, GeForce 9400 GT running 285.62, AMD Athlon II X2 240, 4Gb RAM

Another fellow sufferer here. I am also getting occasionally screen lock-ups that cannot be cured by CTRL+ALT+DEL; the computer has to be powered down. I've cleaned out Nvidia drivers using Drive Sweeper, rolled back drivers, cleaned up the File Registry, tried a clean installation of 285.62, removed any dust accumulations from inside the computer and tried a whole host of other suggested remedies, none of which have worked.

My latest experiment is to remove anything relating to 285.62 (again!) and then install the original (Vista) NVidia drivers from the disc that was supplied with the computer.

The evidence from this site and the internet in general indicates that this is a 'known issue' and yet nobody seems to know the cause. My best guess is that it has to be driver related, which means the solution lies with NVidia.

Posted 11/21/2011 01:54 PM   
[quote name='adviceseeker' date='21 November 2011 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1321883694' post='1330284']

[/quote]

I am not sure if this is the same problem, but I suddenly started having this issue everywhere. It has gotten to the point that only safe mode is usuable, once windows starts normally the screen starts to flash with driver fail/recovery messages each time. This happens every 30 seconds or so, sometimes I have a bit more time but not much. I have the liquid cooled gtx 580, and it stays in the 40 degree C range so I don't think it's a heat issue. Does anybody else have this issue so frequently?
[quote name='adviceseeker' date='21 November 2011 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1321883694' post='1330284']

I am not sure if this is the same problem, but I suddenly started having this issue everywhere. It has gotten to the point that only safe mode is usuable, once windows starts normally the screen starts to flash with driver fail/recovery messages each time. This happens every 30 seconds or so, sometimes I have a bit more time but not much. I have the liquid cooled gtx 580, and it stays in the 40 degree C range so I don't think it's a heat issue. Does anybody else have this issue so frequently?

Posted 11/23/2011 07:12 AM   
...clean installed driver 275.33 still having the driver crash issue. The search continues...
...clean installed driver 275.33 still having the driver crash issue. The search continues...

Posted 11/24/2011 12:52 PM   
Having the same problem as you guys :((((

This started 2 weeks ago.I didnt have problems for 3 years :S

My specs:

perating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Model: P5K
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/14/08 13:59:09 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Having the same problem as you guys :((((

This started 2 weeks ago.I didnt have problems for 3 years :S

My specs:

perating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

System Model: P5K

BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/14/08 13:59:09 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Posted 11/24/2011 12:58 PM   
yep, i got the same problem but it gets a %80 chance of doing that while i was watching youtube videos. /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

System Rating: 4.7

Processor: Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz 2.94GHz

Installed Memeory (RAM): 4.00GB

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
yep, i got the same problem but it gets a %80 chance of doing that while i was watching youtube videos. /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

System Rating: 4.7

Processor: Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz 2.94GHz

Installed Memeory (RAM): 4.00GB

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Posted 11/25/2011 01:28 PM   
I have an XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black edition and have been having the same problems as alot of people since "upgrading" to the 286.62 drivers
I don't play most of the games mentioned here (i.e. BF2) My focus is on racing with rFactor and GPL. I was getting over 300fps in rFactor but still got stuttering and then lockups for a short period of time and then it would come back with a message about the driver had stopped working but but had returned and then some times got the BSOD.
I tried rolling back the drivers all the way to 197.85 and still had the same issues.
It had gotten to the point that I was trying to prepare the "Fun Warden" (my wife) for my purchase of a new card. It was going to be tough since I had just purchased this computer within the last month due to a hard drive failure on my old rig.
I read somewhere in these forums last night that the [b]286.79 Beta drivers[/b] solved those problems for the 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX cards, so I gave them a try
IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED!!!
They also mentioned that the 3D drivers cause a conflict, so I checked "Custom Install"; then checked "Clean Install" and chose not to install the 3D drivers.
So far, my computer is running smoothly without a hint of stuttering, BSODs, or the like.
I don't know how well it works with other cards but it might be worth a try
I have an XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black edition and have been having the same problems as alot of people since "upgrading" to the 286.62 drivers

I don't play most of the games mentioned here (i.e. BF2) My focus is on racing with rFactor and GPL. I was getting over 300fps in rFactor but still got stuttering and then lockups for a short period of time and then it would come back with a message about the driver had stopped working but but had returned and then some times got the BSOD.

I tried rolling back the drivers all the way to 197.85 and still had the same issues.

It had gotten to the point that I was trying to prepare the "Fun Warden" (my wife) for my purchase of a new card. It was going to be tough since I had just purchased this computer within the last month due to a hard drive failure on my old rig.

I read somewhere in these forums last night that the 286.79 Beta drivers solved those problems for the 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX cards, so I gave them a try

They also mentioned that the 3D drivers cause a conflict, so I checked "Custom Install"; then checked "Clean Install" and chose not to install the 3D drivers.

So far, my computer is running smoothly without a hint of stuttering, BSODs, or the like.

Posted 11/25/2011 02:18 PM   
Post above solved my problem ^^
Post above solved my problem ^^

Posted 11/26/2011 06:28 PM   
[quote name='CraigT67' date='25 November 2011 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1322230703' post='1332632']
I read somewhere in these forums last night that the [b]286.79 Beta drivers[/b] solved those problems for the 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX cards, so I gave them a try
[/quote]
where can i find the 286.79 beta drivers? Last time I looked I got nothing
[quote name='CraigT67' date='25 November 2011 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1322230703' post='1332632']

I read somewhere in these forums last night that the 286.79 Beta drivers solved those problems for the 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX cards, so I gave them a try

where can i find the 286.79 beta drivers? Last time I looked I got nothing

Posted 11/28/2011 05:16 PM   
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Beta for beta drivers.

Posted 11/28/2011 09:55 PM   
[quote name='Syrenx' date='28 November 2011 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1322517355' post='1334298']
[/quote]
can't find any 286.79 Beta drivers on there :\
[quote name='Syrenx' date='28 November 2011 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1322517355' post='1334298']

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Beta
for beta drivers.

can't find any 286.79 Beta drivers on there :\

Posted 12/01/2011 01:48 AM   
I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, running Windows 7, driver version 285.62 of the software. Will the above beta driver work for me as well? This problem just started with this driver update.

I am getting this error:
"Display driver stopped responding & has recovered"

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This is happening more and more. This never happened until this driver update.
I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, running Windows 7, driver version 285.62 of the software. Will the above beta driver work for me as well? This problem just started with this driver update.

I am getting this error:

"Display driver stopped responding & has recovered"

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This is happening more and more. This never happened until this driver update.

Posted 12/02/2011 12:41 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top