HELP! Phoenix Flight Sim + Nvidia Questions
Ok, first off, I've been a MAC guy for years and years... never had the need for a video card, and don't know much about drivers that are required etc...

I've gotten into RC Planes and Heli's, and just purchased the Phoenix Flight Sim Version 3. I originally installed it on my MAC using bootcamp - but now want to run it on my 52" TV in the basement.
I have a 6 yr old HDTV (DLP - 1080i) with only 1 HDMI port (used up by the cable box). I have 2 component inputs available and some composite/s video inputs etc...

I bought a used PC tower - specifically with an Nvidia card in it, as that's a minimum requirement on the Phoenix site. TWO THINGS:

1) I tried connecting it to the TV using s video, and I just get these tiny "black and white - checker board" type squares scolling up the screen... guessing it's a resolution problem, but it can't be fixed messing around with the settings on the PC - so I'm assuming i'll have to go with a VGA/DVI connection that the card offers. How do I connect it to the TV using that? I read somewhere on this forum that Nvidia doesn't support VGA to Component - is that correct?

2) The sim isn't running on the PC yet either - I've installed it, but now it says something to the effect that " ensure your graphics card and PC have the latest updates and drivers ". This PC was sitting around for a couple months - maybe 6 or so... that's not such a big deal as I just have to get a wireless USB adapter to connect it to the internet and download the updates - BUT DO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT NVIDIA CARD I HAVE TO DO THIS? I have no idea what's in there - is there a way to find out.

Any help would be appreciated. More so on the connection options. THANKS!
Ok, first off, I've been a MAC guy for years and years... never had the need for a video card, and don't know much about drivers that are required etc...

I've gotten into RC Planes and Heli's, and just purchased the Phoenix Flight Sim Version 3. I originally installed it on my MAC using bootcamp - but now want to run it on my 52" TV in the basement.

I have a 6 yr old HDTV (DLP - 1080i) with only 1 HDMI port (used up by the cable box). I have 2 component inputs available and some composite/s video inputs etc...

I bought a used PC tower - specifically with an Nvidia card in it, as that's a minimum requirement on the Phoenix site. TWO THINGS:

1) I tried connecting it to the TV using s video, and I just get these tiny "black and white - checker board" type squares scolling up the screen... guessing it's a resolution problem, but it can't be fixed messing around with the settings on the PC - so I'm assuming i'll have to go with a VGA/DVI connection that the card offers. How do I connect it to the TV using that? I read somewhere on this forum that Nvidia doesn't support VGA to Component - is that correct?

2) The sim isn't running on the PC yet either - I've installed it, but now it says something to the effect that " ensure your graphics card and PC have the latest updates and drivers ". This PC was sitting around for a couple months - maybe 6 or so... that's not such a big deal as I just have to get a wireless USB adapter to connect it to the internet and download the updates - BUT DO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT NVIDIA CARD I HAVE TO DO THIS? I have no idea what's in there - is there a way to find out.

Any help would be appreciated. More so on the connection options. THANKS!

Posted 11/17/2011 06:09 PM   
The nvidia drivers site has a tool to automatically detect and install the latest drivers for you GPU... Otherwise there is a tool called 'GPU-Z' which will tell you which you have.

In terms of the checkerboarding, that could be due to using the wrong type of screen refresh. It may be set to '1080p' (progressive scanning) rather than 1080i (interlaced)

I am not aware of any 'unsupported' ways of connecting the two. If you have the right adaptors and cables, it should work.
The nvidia drivers site has a tool to automatically detect and install the latest drivers for you GPU... Otherwise there is a tool called 'GPU-Z' which will tell you which you have.

In terms of the checkerboarding, that could be due to using the wrong type of screen refresh. It may be set to '1080p' (progressive scanning) rather than 1080i (interlaced)

I am not aware of any 'unsupported' ways of connecting the two. If you have the right adaptors and cables, it should work.
Thanks. The TV I have in the basement is only capable of 1080i, not 1080p, it was when 1080p was just coming out, and was 2X the cost... that's why I figured maybe the VGA to Component connection might be the way to go - higher resolution compared to the s-video.

Thanks for the help - i'll see what happens with the updates. If anyone out there has a solid answer either way on the connectivity question - let me know!
Thanks. The TV I have in the basement is only capable of 1080i, not 1080p, it was when 1080p was just coming out, and was 2X the cost... that's why I figured maybe the VGA to Component connection might be the way to go - higher resolution compared to the s-video.

Thanks for the help - i'll see what happens with the updates. If anyone out there has a solid answer either way on the connectivity question - let me know!

Posted 11/17/2011 09:45 PM   
Scroll To Top