470 GTX card bad artifacting/crashing from games
When playing graphic heavy games (Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim, even Saints Row The Third) I will get these kind of image artifacts: (note - not my actual screenshot but you get the idea). MOST of the time it will freeze everything for a few seconds and go back to the gameplay. Occasionally it will crash the game altogether.

However, with Saints Row 3, unless I have my settings on medium, it will outright crash and kick me out of the game after 5-10 minutes.

I was worried it was overheating but it's artifacted with temps as low as 60-70 degrees. Last time I checked when it CRASHED to the desktop from the game though it was running at 86 degrees. Still, I don't think it should artifact at 70 degress, right?

I've reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, used old drivers, made sure everything was properly ventilated. I have no idea where the disconnect in all this is.

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

[b]System specs:[/b]

Windows 7
6 gb ram
Intel Core i7 930
EVGA GTX 470 video card
SIGMA FOCUS SP700B 700W (800W Peak) ATX12V Power Supply
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

[b]Help :C
[/b]
When playing graphic heavy games (Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim, even Saints Row The Third) I will get these kind of image artifacts: (note - not my actual screenshot but you get the idea). MOST of the time it will freeze everything for a few seconds and go back to the gameplay. Occasionally it will crash the game altogether.

However, with Saints Row 3, unless I have my settings on medium, it will outright crash and kick me out of the game after 5-10 minutes.

I was worried it was overheating but it's artifacted with temps as low as 60-70 degrees. Last time I checked when it CRASHED to the desktop from the game though it was running at 86 degrees. Still, I don't think it should artifact at 70 degress, right?

I've reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, used old drivers, made sure everything was properly ventilated. I have no idea where the disconnect in all this is.

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

System specs:

Windows 7

6 gb ram

Intel Core i7 930

EVGA GTX 470 video card

Help :C

Posted 11/16/2011 06:05 PM   
[quote name='coffeepunk' date='16 November 2011 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1321501262' post='1327994']

System specs:

Windows 7
6 gb ram
Intel Core i7 930
EVGA GTX 470 video card

[/quote]

Hello! :)

It seems that your card is unstable and need a bit of voltage.

First try to do this...
You have to download a useful program called "MSI Afterburner".
[url="http://download1.msi.com/files/downloads/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup210.zip"]You can find it here[/url]

Then after downloading & installing it....
Go to Settings--> General--> Then tick Unlock voltage control--> Press OK and restart the program.

Then the Core Voltage (mV) will show to you. (instead of it was hidden before).
You will notice you have from 0.825mV as min voltage & 1.087 as max voltage.
And it is automatically defaulted at your cards voltage... There is 0.13 increment/increase between every voltage (even if you don't select 0.12/0.13 incerment MSI Afterburner will automatically round it and correct it to you).
Increase your cards 0.12/0.13 over its default voltage (ex: Lets say for example once you launched the program after the restart and it defaulted your voltage at 0.962mV, increase it 0.13 incerment to 0.975mV and press OK. Test your games and see if your card become stable again. Try this step until your card become stable. (ex: if your card is still unstable at 0.975mV try to increase it to 0.988mV)

Hope this helps!
[quote name='coffeepunk' date='16 November 2011 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1321501262' post='1327994']

System specs:

Windows 7

6 gb ram

Intel Core i7 930

EVGA GTX 470 video card

Hello! :)

It seems that your card is unstable and need a bit of voltage.

First try to do this...

You have to download a useful program called "MSI Afterburner".

You can find it here

Then after downloading & installing it....

Go to Settings--> General--> Then tick Unlock voltage control--> Press OK and restart the program.

Then the Core Voltage (mV) will show to you. (instead of it was hidden before).

You will notice you have from 0.825mV as min voltage & 1.087 as max voltage.

And it is automatically defaulted at your cards voltage... There is 0.13 increment/increase between every voltage (even if you don't select 0.12/0.13 incerment MSI Afterburner will automatically round it and correct it to you).

Increase your cards 0.12/0.13 over its default voltage (ex: Lets say for example once you launched the program after the restart and it defaulted your voltage at 0.962mV, increase it 0.13 incerment to 0.975mV and press OK. Test your games and see if your card become stable again. Try this step until your card become stable. (ex: if your card is still unstable at 0.975mV try to increase it to 0.988mV)

Hope this helps!

Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0 GHz + CoolerMaster V6 GT
Asus P7P55D-E
4GB DDR3-1333 @1460 MHz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Asus VG236H + 3D Vision
ZM-1000HP
CoolerMaster HAF922

Posted 11/24/2011 08:21 AM   
Scroll To Top