Skyrim 5760x1024 Gtx590 SLI - not enough!? what am i missing?
I have 2 GTX 590's in SLI, I7 2600k, in theory i should have plenty of CPU/GPU to process running skyrim in 3d Surround. Ive done the Hayden's multimonitor solution fix, ive tweaked the .ini to allow the 5760x1024 resolution yet when i try to play the game with it. the FPS drops to unplayable.. beyond choppy. ive turned off Vsync.

Im curious as to what may be the issue?

is my setup not more than enough to process this game in multi monitor system?
is there an option with the multi GPU settings i am missing?

im open to any ideas or tweaks to try out...

thanks,

-kane
I have 2 GTX 590's in SLI, I7 2600k, in theory i should have plenty of CPU/GPU to process running skyrim in 3d Surround. Ive done the Hayden's multimonitor solution fix, ive tweaked the .ini to allow the 5760x1024 resolution yet when i try to play the game with it. the FPS drops to unplayable.. beyond choppy. ive turned off Vsync.

Im curious as to what may be the issue?

is my setup not more than enough to process this game in multi monitor system?

is there an option with the multi GPU settings i am missing?

im open to any ideas or tweaks to try out...

thanks,

-kane

Posted 11/16/2011 03:40 AM   
This might be an odd suggestion, but have you tried running 3D Surround on just a single 590 to see if the issue is perhaps SLI? Per the system requirements page you can run 3D surround on a single 590 so it might be a good test to rule out SLI as the issue:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-system-requirements.html

~D~
This might be an odd suggestion, but have you tried running 3D Surround on just a single 590 to see if the issue is perhaps SLI? Per the system requirements page you can run 3D surround on a single 590 so it might be a good test to rule out SLI as the issue:

~D~

Posted 11/16/2011 03:50 AM   
[quote name='DarronS' date='15 November 2011 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1321415438' post='1327354']

~D~
[/quote]

Actually no I haven't tried that yet. Seems plausible. Stupid question but what's the best way to try this? I mean I can run three monitors with just one gtx 590? Would the best test simply be to remove one of the cards? Or is there a setting in the Nividia CP to turn off one card?

-kane
[quote name='DarronS' date='15 November 2011 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1321415438' post='1327354']

~D~

Actually no I haven't tried that yet. Seems plausible. Stupid question but what's the best way to try this? I mean I can run three monitors with just one gtx 590? Would the best test simply be to remove one of the cards? Or is there a setting in the Nividia CP to turn off one card?

-kane

Posted 11/16/2011 03:54 AM   
[quote name='kaneone21' date='15 November 2011 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1321415665' post='1327357']

-kane
[/quote]

I'd pull the second 590 completely out of the box and just leave the primary in the first PCI slot on your mobo. I discovered the hard way that adding a second graphics card to your mobo can cause your PCI bandwidth to be affected. I've got an Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard and with a single graphics card in the primary PCIe slot it runs at 16x, but when I added a second 580 it made the first slot x8 to match the second slot. So now I've got two 580's running at 8x in SLI, which hasn't been an issue for me since i'm only running 2D Surround and not 3D. Let us know if this helps or if you find a different solution.
[quote name='kaneone21' date='15 November 2011 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1321415665' post='1327357']

-kane

I'd pull the second 590 completely out of the box and just leave the primary in the first PCI slot on your mobo. I discovered the hard way that adding a second graphics card to your mobo can cause your PCI bandwidth to be affected. I've got an Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard and with a single graphics card in the primary PCIe slot it runs at 16x, but when I added a second 580 it made the first slot x8 to match the second slot. So now I've got two 580's running at 8x in SLI, which hasn't been an issue for me since i'm only running 2D Surround and not 3D. Let us know if this helps or if you find a different solution.

Posted 11/16/2011 01:43 PM   
8x PCI-E bandwidth is not a bottleneck or a problem regardless of what config you are running. This has been shown many times in benchmarks, so it's not relevant. What you'll want to do is just remove the SLI bridge and connect all three monitors to the top 590.
8x PCI-E bandwidth is not a bottleneck or a problem regardless of what config you are running. This has been shown many times in benchmarks, so it's not relevant. What you'll want to do is just remove the SLI bridge and connect all three monitors to the top 590.

Posted 11/23/2011 07:40 PM   
[quote name='matrices' date='23 November 2011 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1322077211' post='1331773']
[/quote]

This is a great thread for me. I am right now building a new comp with Intel i7-3960X Sandy Bridge E: 6-Core 3.3GHz X79
and a GTX 590... I was thinking of getting another 590 to run duel with SLI... the whole reason was to do Surround 2D

So you are saying don't do it? All my parts getting here literally today and tomorrow and I will be firing this up.. I am somewhat new to SLI but not to computers and video graphics ..

Corvin
[quote name='matrices' date='23 November 2011 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1322077211' post='1331773']

This is a great thread for me. I am right now building a new comp with Intel i7-3960X Sandy Bridge E: 6-Core 3.3GHz X79

and a GTX 590... I was thinking of getting another 590 to run duel with SLI... the whole reason was to do Surround 2D

So you are saying don't do it? All my parts getting here literally today and tomorrow and I will be firing this up.. I am somewhat new to SLI but not to computers and video graphics ..

Corvin

Posted 12/17/2011 07:38 PM   
I'll tell you right now I'm no expert on 590's but when I built my box this last summer, I went with 3 X evga WC 580s for surround. I can't pinpoint where the exact threads are, but google around and look for discussion on 2 X 590s and scaling problems.

I kept running in the threads that talked about 3 gpu's better than 4. Good luck, it's pretty cool, and at times frustrating, but worth it!!

I'm not saying Don't Do It, just saying do research,

djb
I'll tell you right now I'm no expert on 590's but when I built my box this last summer, I went with 3 X evga WC 580s for surround. I can't pinpoint where the exact threads are, but google around and look for discussion on 2 X 590s and scaling problems.

I kept running in the threads that talked about 3 gpu's better than 4. Good luck, it's pretty cool, and at times frustrating, but worth it!!

djb

Posted 12/18/2011 09:09 PM   
[quote name='djb' date='18 December 2011 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1324242583' post='1343937']

djb
[/quote]

Here's the link> and the guru3d links inside the thread... Things may have changed now with different drivers, but fyi.

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=925437&mpage=1"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=925437&mpage=1[/url]

[quote name='djb' date='18 December 2011 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1324242583' post='1343937']

djb

Here's the link> and the guru3d links inside the thread... Things may have changed now with different drivers, but fyi.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=925437&mpage=1

Posted 12/19/2011 07:26 AM   
[quote name='Corvin Rok' date='17 December 2011 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1324150683' post='1343573']

Corvin
[/quote]

so how did your system turn out?

-kane
[quote name='Corvin Rok' date='17 December 2011 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1324150683' post='1343573']

Corvin

so how did your system turn out?

-kane

Posted 04/12/2012 01:33 PM   
Scroll To Top