Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Been using my brand new pc for about a week now. I got a GTX 580 to enjoy games like BF3.
However, in the 2 games I've tried, World of warcraft and BF3, while playing the screen will go black for about 5 seconds, then I See the desktop with the message

[img]http://i.imgur.com/71Oh0.jpg[/img]

I've tried many drivers, 275.33 which apparently is the more stable one.
I then tried the official 285.62 and then the beta drivers made for BF3 285.79.
Each and every driver does the same thing after a while and this system is brand new. Specs are

16GB DDR3
Intel i7 3.4
Win 7 64bit
1000w PSU.

I've had no problems when using premiere pro or other programmes. To be fair I've only tried 2 games, but these are the 2 games I want to play and it keeps happening.
After some tweaks I found this on this forum:

Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings:

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Nvidia Control Panel --> Set PhysX configuration

Select a PhysX Processor: CPU

This seems to have fixed (so far) the BF3 issue. However WoW still does it. The time is random, today was 30 minutes before it did it, yesterday 5 minutes.

Idle temp of the 580 is 49C and when playing bf3 about 65C.

I reduced some graphics settings on WoW (not sure why, this card should eat it alive) and it helped for a while. But I am at a loss. I'm also running BF3 on ultra with no problems, so far.

Any ideas?
At the moment I can't even play wow.
Been using my brand new pc for about a week now. I got a GTX 580 to enjoy games like BF3.

However, in the 2 games I've tried, World of warcraft and BF3, while playing the screen will go black for about 5 seconds, then I See the desktop with the message

I've tried many drivers, 275.33 which apparently is the more stable one.

I then tried the official 285.62 and then the beta drivers made for BF3 285.79.

Each and every driver does the same thing after a while and this system is brand new. Specs are

16GB DDR3

Intel i7 3.4

Win 7 64bit

1000w PSU.

I've had no problems when using premiere pro or other programmes. To be fair I've only tried 2 games, but these are the 2 games I want to play and it keeps happening.

After some tweaks I found this on this forum:

Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings:

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Nvidia Control Panel --> Set PhysX configuration

Select a PhysX Processor: CPU

This seems to have fixed (so far) the BF3 issue. However WoW still does it. The time is random, today was 30 minutes before it did it, yesterday 5 minutes.

Idle temp of the 580 is 49C and when playing bf3 about 65C.

I reduced some graphics settings on WoW (not sure why, this card should eat it alive) and it helped for a while. But I am at a loss. I'm also running BF3 on ultra with no problems, so far.

Any ideas?

At the moment I can't even play wow.

Posted 11/15/2011 06:57 PM   
I having the pretty much the same issue too i just posted my problems here http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=330572&tab=topics
Dumbing down the graphics on WoW doesnt seem to help at all to me and i dont even want to buy BF3 until i get this fixed.
I having the pretty much the same issue too i just posted my problems here http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=330572&tab=topics

Dumbing down the graphics on WoW doesnt seem to help at all to me and i dont even want to buy BF3 until i get this fixed.

Posted 11/17/2011 04:03 PM   
Do you have a MSI GeForce GTX 580 OC Twin FrozR II 1536MB? Or, is the card pre-overclocked?
Do you have a MSI GeForce GTX 580 OC Twin FrozR II 1536MB? Or, is the card pre-overclocked?

Posted 11/17/2011 04:04 PM   
Hey All,

I have the same issue as X82X at top. I can play BF3 for a while and then it minimizes to task bar and only way to get it back is to crash it as well as sometimes does what it does with X82X. With WoW i can login but after a few it sometimes crashes, or locks up or pretty much a number of things but yet i can do practically anything else with like adobe products or anything. Ive tried doing the single display thing once when i had the latest beta driver but i recently removed it and tried the latest stable version as of the date of this post today. Ill try the single display with old drivers and also try maybe going back to even an older driver if i can find one.

The Video card i have is [url="http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX570_DCII2DIS1280MD5/"]Asus ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5[/url].

My System is:
CPU: And X6 1090t (not OC'd)
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8gb Ram @ 1333mhz
Motherboard: M4N98TD EVO motherboard
Hard Drives: 300gb Raptor and 1.5 TB Western Digital Cavier Green Drive
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500a LED CPU Cooler
Case: CM Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition

It all stays fairly cool. I dont have any temp problems that ive noticed so far at all. I've got all windows updates and everything else is updated as well as .netframework and directx 11 as well. Is this issue only with Nvidia or is it with ATI as well? I love Nvidia and im an extreme Nvidia Fan as you can see by the case i have and dont like ATI but it is very frustrating when u can play games because of a driver issue.

Is Nvidia working on this issue even at all?

Mark Johnson
Hey All,

I have the same issue as X82X at top. I can play BF3 for a while and then it minimizes to task bar and only way to get it back is to crash it as well as sometimes does what it does with X82X. With WoW i can login but after a few it sometimes crashes, or locks up or pretty much a number of things but yet i can do practically anything else with like adobe products or anything. Ive tried doing the single display thing once when i had the latest beta driver but i recently removed it and tried the latest stable version as of the date of this post today. Ill try the single display with old drivers and also try maybe going back to even an older driver if i can find one.

The Video card i have is Asus ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5.

My System is:

CPU: And X6 1090t (not OC'd)

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8gb Ram @ 1333mhz

Motherboard: M4N98TD EVO motherboard

Hard Drives: 300gb Raptor and 1.5 TB Western Digital Cavier Green Drive

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500a LED CPU Cooler

Case: CM Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition

It all stays fairly cool. I dont have any temp problems that ive noticed so far at all. I've got all windows updates and everything else is updated as well as .netframework and directx 11 as well. Is this issue only with Nvidia or is it with ATI as well? I love Nvidia and im an extreme Nvidia Fan as you can see by the case i have and dont like ATI but it is very frustrating when u can play games because of a driver issue.

Is Nvidia working on this issue even at all?

Mark Johnson

Posted 11/28/2011 10:31 PM   
I solved my issue.
The problem was that my card was pre-overclocked. So I actually had to tune it down and everything now runs fine. Havent had any issues with any game since.
I lowered my core clock to 772mhz and that did the trick. See if you can do something similar for your asus and report back.
Programme I used was MSI Afterburner.
I solved my issue.

The problem was that my card was pre-overclocked. So I actually had to tune it down and everything now runs fine. Havent had any issues with any game since.

I lowered my core clock to 772mhz and that did the trick. See if you can do something similar for your asus and report back.

Posted 11/28/2011 11:03 PM   
[quote name='X82X' date='28 November 2011 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1322521403' post='1334333']
I solved my issue.
[/quote]

Ok I'll try that when I get home and see if it works and let you know what the outcome is.
[quote name='X82X' date='28 November 2011 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1322521403' post='1334333']

I solved my issue.

Ok I'll try that when I get home and see if it works and let you know what the outcome is.

Posted 11/29/2011 02:14 AM   
Ok so heres what ive tried. I had an old PNY GTX470 and put it in and things are working fine. No issues at all. Its got a core clock of 607, 448 processor cores, 1215 mhz processor clock and 1280mb of GDDR5.

The ASUS GTX570 Direct CU II is 1280mb of GDDR5, overclock to 742. I tried reducing it to about 722 or so but it just wouldnt take for some reason. My dads got a PSU of 850 watts and hes gonna put it in his then we will install the game on his and see how it performs. Ive got a 880watt psu. But if i take the video card backand getting it replaced and it ends up doing the same thing then what else could it be?
Ok so heres what ive tried. I had an old PNY GTX470 and put it in and things are working fine. No issues at all. Its got a core clock of 607, 448 processor cores, 1215 mhz processor clock and 1280mb of GDDR5.

The ASUS GTX570 Direct CU II is 1280mb of GDDR5, overclock to 742. I tried reducing it to about 722 or so but it just wouldnt take for some reason. My dads got a PSU of 850 watts and hes gonna put it in his then we will install the game on his and see how it performs. Ive got a 880watt psu. But if i take the video card backand getting it replaced and it ends up doing the same thing then what else could it be?

Posted 11/29/2011 05:19 AM   
I am experiencing the exact same thing, and my system is only 2 weeks old. Even the first day when I had just set it up I got a TDR. I didn't know what it was at the time though, and it didn't happen frequently. But that has changed as of late, I can no longer play Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft or Dragon Age 2 more than 5 minutes before this happens. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Is there a way to rule out that it's a faulty card and in fact just a driver issue? Because I've rolled back to earlier drivers (with clean installs) and I even formatted my C: drive and reinstalled everything with no success. And running older drivers isn't really a way to fix this since BF3 for example needs the latest drivers from what I understand. It's also worth noting that this doesn't happen during a KMark test.

EDIT: On second thought, how well should my graphics card perform in MSI Kombustor on the extreme preset (1920x1080 fullscreen? I mean, how many points? Because currently I'm getting around 1150-1200 combined score I believe and I'm wondering if that is an expected score or if it's performing less than expected? Thanks

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C45 B3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4Ghz
RAM: 8GB 2x4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 580 1536MB TWIN FROZR II
I am experiencing the exact same thing, and my system is only 2 weeks old. Even the first day when I had just set it up I got a TDR. I didn't know what it was at the time though, and it didn't happen frequently. But that has changed as of late, I can no longer play Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft or Dragon Age 2 more than 5 minutes before this happens. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Is there a way to rule out that it's a faulty card and in fact just a driver issue? Because I've rolled back to earlier drivers (with clean installs) and I even formatted my C: drive and reinstalled everything with no success. And running older drivers isn't really a way to fix this since BF3 for example needs the latest drivers from what I understand. It's also worth noting that this doesn't happen during a KMark test.

EDIT: On second thought, how well should my graphics card perform in MSI Kombustor on the extreme preset (1920x1080 fullscreen? I mean, how many points? Because currently I'm getting around 1150-1200 combined score I believe and I'm wondering if that is an expected score or if it's performing less than expected? Thanks

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C45 B3

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4Ghz

RAM: 8GB 2x4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 580 1536MB TWIN FROZR II

Posted 11/29/2011 06:43 AM   
The problem we face when using BF3 is its so buggy, your not sure if its a fault with the game or the card.
I experience a black screen when playing it today. It's like my entire graphics card turned off. Even locking the computer didn't bring the image back, yet my 2nd screen was still working.
Loads of people are complaining about this on the BF3 forums, so I'm not fussed.
All I can say to people is if its a pre-overclocked card, try lowering the mhz like I did. Fixed it for me. Been going for weeks now with not one crash. I am running on the beta Nvidia drives meant for Bf3.
The problem we face when using BF3 is its so buggy, your not sure if its a fault with the game or the card.

I experience a black screen when playing it today. It's like my entire graphics card turned off. Even locking the computer didn't bring the image back, yet my 2nd screen was still working.

Loads of people are complaining about this on the BF3 forums, so I'm not fussed.

All I can say to people is if its a pre-overclocked card, try lowering the mhz like I did. Fixed it for me. Been going for weeks now with not one crash. I am running on the beta Nvidia drives meant for Bf3.

Posted 11/29/2011 08:50 AM   
[quote name='X82X' date='29 November 2011 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1322556649' post='1334557']
[/quote]

Well, i have reformated my drive and updated windows and installed WoW so far and it seems to be ok so far but its not finished updating the game itself yet. I was playing it for a little bit while it was downloading but ill know more in a couple days or more as i play it a little more. Then i will try BF3 once i install it. So fingers crossed, im hoping and praying it works.

Mark
[quote name='X82X' date='29 November 2011 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1322556649' post='1334557']

Well, i have reformated my drive and updated windows and installed WoW so far and it seems to be ok so far but its not finished updating the game itself yet. I was playing it for a little bit while it was downloading but ill know more in a couple days or more as i play it a little more. Then i will try BF3 once i install it. So fingers crossed, im hoping and praying it works.

Mark

Posted 11/30/2011 06:56 AM   
I get this error playing Total war: Shogun 2 and battlefield 3. I don't think we can say it is a problem with battlefield.
I get this error playing Total war: Shogun 2 and battlefield 3. I don't think we can say it is a problem with battlefield.

Posted 12/08/2011 03:36 AM   
Same issue here, except I'm not a gamer. This problem happens when I'm surfing the Internet using Firefox 8.0 and also when I'm not online using the Paint.net graphics program and various other multimedia programs.
The lockup issue happens at least once an hour.

The current driver version I'm using is: 290.36
I've tried version: 285.62 (same issue) and the version before that (don't remember the #)
I'm going to roll-back to version 275.33 (as per some forum success posts) and give that a try.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (stock settings)

UPDATE: Uninstalled all nVidia drivers from my system, deleted all nVidia folders & files from my system, ran CCleaner to clean the registry. Installed version 275.33.. haven't had an issue since.. no lockups.. fingers are crossed.
Same issue here, except I'm not a gamer. This problem happens when I'm surfing the Internet using Firefox 8.0 and also when I'm not online using the Paint.net graphics program and various other multimedia programs.

The lockup issue happens at least once an hour.

The current driver version I'm using is: 290.36

I've tried version: 285.62 (same issue) and the version before that (don't remember the #)

I'm going to roll-back to version 275.33 (as per some forum success posts) and give that a try.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (stock settings)

UPDATE: Uninstalled all nVidia drivers from my system, deleted all nVidia folders & files from my system, ran CCleaner to clean the registry. Installed version 275.33.. haven't had an issue since.. no lockups.. fingers are crossed.

Posted 12/21/2011 07:49 PM   
Amazing there has been no response whatsoever from NVidia for the TDR problem. I have 2 computers, one running a GTX580, the other a 560ti. The one with the 580 i use for gaming, the other is for work. Strangely enough, running the same drivers, i have no problems on my i72600k gtx580 gaming rig, but the 'work' i2500k computer with the PNY GTX560 ti OC keeps getting this problem. I contacted PNY, and they told me to RMA the card, after rma the problem remains.
The most complicated thing i ever run on this computer is photoshop. the crashes happen when i'm using firefox, or when i have the bf3cc admin panel up, or sometimes even when i'm idle on desktop.
Memory tested with Memtest, no errors.
Furmark, no errors. temps are fine.
Ran all OCCT stress tests without a problem.
tried all kinds of different drivers...
I can't find where the problem lies. this has nothing to do with high graphic gaming or whatsoever. My hardware is fine under stress. i just get this time out thing every three or four hours.
(very nice, if after 3 hours of touching up a picture your GFX card driver resets and you loose all your work)

Please NVidia, some response on this matter.

If this has something to do with the factory overclock, are these companies even allowed to sell these cards as stable?

I will NOT underclock my card. Neighter will i use ancient drivers anymore. The hardware and its drivers are supposed to work as advertised. If not, they're Faulty!
Amazing there has been no response whatsoever from NVidia for the TDR problem. I have 2 computers, one running a GTX580, the other a 560ti. The one with the 580 i use for gaming, the other is for work. Strangely enough, running the same drivers, i have no problems on my i72600k gtx580 gaming rig, but the 'work' i2500k computer with the PNY GTX560 ti OC keeps getting this problem. I contacted PNY, and they told me to RMA the card, after rma the problem remains.

The most complicated thing i ever run on this computer is photoshop. the crashes happen when i'm using firefox, or when i have the bf3cc admin panel up, or sometimes even when i'm idle on desktop.

Memory tested with Memtest, no errors.

Furmark, no errors. temps are fine.

Ran all OCCT stress tests without a problem.

tried all kinds of different drivers...

I can't find where the problem lies. this has nothing to do with high graphic gaming or whatsoever. My hardware is fine under stress. i just get this time out thing every three or four hours.

(very nice, if after 3 hours of touching up a picture your GFX card driver resets and you loose all your work)

Please NVidia, some response on this matter.

If this has something to do with the factory overclock, are these companies even allowed to sell these cards as stable?

I will NOT underclock my card. Neighter will i use ancient drivers anymore. The hardware and its drivers are supposed to work as advertised. If not, they're Faulty!

Posted 02/21/2012 08:01 PM   
nvidia DOES NOT address posts in forums.

manuelG scouts the forums and forwards bugs in his free time.
nvidia DOES NOT address posts in forums.

manuelG scouts the forums and forwards bugs in his free time.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 02/21/2012 08:52 PM   
Scroll To Top