These are the specs of my recently constructed computer system:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives
Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition @ 3.2GHz
24GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM
EVGA x58 SLI3 Motherboard with latest revision 83 BIOS
EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB
Silverstone 800w Power Supply

Before setting up the system I ran Memtest and verified the functionality of the RAM and then I used Hitachi Fitness Test software's advanced test to verify the health of the new hard drives. I then set them up as a RAID 1 Mirror in the Marvel setup screen and then afterwards I installed Windows onto them. However when the machine boots up it shows "Degrade" under the RAID status. I checked the Windows Disk Management utility and it shows one drive formatted with Windows on it, and the other as unformatted and not initialized. I have not worked with RAID much so I am a bit confused as to how this happened. How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

These are the specs of my recently constructed computer system:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives

Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition @ 3.2GHz

24GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM

EVGA x58 SLI3 Motherboard with latest revision 83 BIOS

EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB

Silverstone 800w Power Supply

Before setting up the system I ran Memtest and verified the functionality of the RAM and then I used Hitachi Fitness Test software's advanced test to verify the health of the new hard drives. I then set them up as a RAID 1 Mirror in the Marvel setup screen and then afterwards I installed Windows onto them. However when the machine boots up it shows "Degrade" under the RAID status. I checked the Windows Disk Management utility and it shows one drive formatted with Windows on it, and the other as unformatted and not initialized. I have not worked with RAID much so I am a bit confused as to how this happened. How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 11/15/2011 04:03 PM   
An update,

In the Marvell BIOS screen I had continuously attempted to rebuild the array several times but after a random percentage, 63 was the farthest it would go, it would abruptly fail each time. Apparently the second hard drive had begun malfunctioning right after the Windows install, causing it to keep dropping offline. I had the drive RMA'd and after replacing it with a new one the array rebuild was successful so now it is fully working.
An update,

In the Marvell BIOS screen I had continuously attempted to rebuild the array several times but after a random percentage, 63 was the farthest it would go, it would abruptly fail each time. Apparently the second hard drive had begun malfunctioning right after the Windows install, causing it to keep dropping offline. I had the drive RMA'd and after replacing it with a new one the array rebuild was successful so now it is fully working.

Posted 11/22/2011 03:54 AM   
Scroll To Top