Skyrim keeps crashing Crashes to desktop
  1 / 2    
I'm playing Elder Scrolls V Skyrim for the PC and it keeps crashing to windows 7 desktop with no error message every 15-20 minutes or so.

This problem is getting very annoying as I have to save frequently and keep rebooting the game.
I'm playing Elder Scrolls V Skyrim for the PC and it keeps crashing to windows 7 desktop with no error message every 15-20 minutes or so.

This problem is getting very annoying as I have to save frequently and keep rebooting the game.

An infinite number of Monkeys, using an infinite number of typewriters, given an infinite amount of time, will eventually print up Shakespeare's entire works.

Posted 11/12/2011 07:31 PM   
experiencing the same thing, also models tend to go all purple.. Drivers are up to date aswell.. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
experiencing the same thing, also models tend to go all purple.. Drivers are up to date aswell.. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 11/13/2011 11:28 PM   
[quote name='krsONE' date='13 November 2011 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1321226887' post='1325892']
[/quote]

I've seen the purple texture glitch.

I wonder when and what Bathesda has to say about this.

I hope they make a patch for this.
[quote name='krsONE' date='13 November 2011 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1321226887' post='1325892']

I've seen the purple texture glitch.

I wonder when and what Bathesda has to say about this.

I hope they make a patch for this.

An infinite number of Monkeys, using an infinite number of typewriters, given an infinite amount of time, will eventually print up Shakespeare's entire works.

Posted 11/14/2011 06:23 AM   
When are people going to learn to list their specs when posting a problem? Especially ones that seem to have problems this often :-P

On topic: If you're running AMD, you're gonna haveta wait for a driver update, plain and simple, Skyrim runs like butt on AMD cards right now due to lack of driver updates for the game so far.

If you're running NVidia, you're not alone, but this is an isolated issue. Several dozen people I've spoken to are playing with zero issues on NVidia hardware. Try different graphical settings, check to make sure your vRAM isn't full.
When are people going to learn to list their specs when posting a problem? Especially ones that seem to have problems this often :-P

On topic: If you're running AMD, you're gonna haveta wait for a driver update, plain and simple, Skyrim runs like butt on AMD cards right now due to lack of driver updates for the game so far.

If you're running NVidia, you're not alone, but this is an isolated issue. Several dozen people I've spoken to are playing with zero issues on NVidia hardware. Try different graphical settings, check to make sure your vRAM isn't full.

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.2GHz 1.21V ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB @ 2133MHz, 9-11-10-28-2T 1.65V)
GPUs: 1x R9 280X Vapor-X (Games/F@H), 1x R9 290 Core Edition (F@H), 1x R9 290X Core Edition (F@H)
PSU: LEPA G 1600W (Hate it, don't buy it) ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
SSDs/HDDs: Corsair Force3 240GB, Corsair Force3 90GB, 1x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate ~ Display: Sony Bravia 52" LED LCD HDTV
Laptops: Alienware M18x (2013, GTX 560M SLi) & Alienware M14x (2014, GTX 765M)

Posted 11/14/2011 07:11 AM   
It's known issue with the latest updated drivers for all nvidia video cards having a serious bug that crashes windows or glitching as you just said...so I would suggest installing the original drivers or previous version till the next update. I have 460 & 560TI and had the same issues with both cards...so I decided to goggle the problem and came across crap ton of post since the last update of folks complaining system crashing/glitching.

- Install the original drivers and select the "Custom" install option, and select the box for "Perform Clean install"
-This will also help with the general "Install Failed" message that appears during the beginning of the install process.

- Manually install/update to the latest version of Adobe Flash

- If you are experiencing crashes while browsing the internet or watching videos also try this:
-Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, Select Manage 3D Settings
-Change in the "Global settings" tab - Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance.
-Repeat this in the "Program settings" tab for the internet browser you are using.
It's known issue with the latest updated drivers for all nvidia video cards having a serious bug that crashes windows or glitching as you just said...so I would suggest installing the original drivers or previous version till the next update. I have 460 & 560TI and had the same issues with both cards...so I decided to goggle the problem and came across crap ton of post since the last update of folks complaining system crashing/glitching.

- Install the original drivers and select the "Custom" install option, and select the box for "Perform Clean install"

-This will also help with the general "Install Failed" message that appears during the beginning of the install process.

- Manually install/update to the latest version of Adobe Flash

- If you are experiencing crashes while browsing the internet or watching videos also try this:

-Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, Select Manage 3D Settings

-Change in the "Global settings" tab - Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance.

-Repeat this in the "Program settings" tab for the internet browser you are using.

Posted 11/14/2011 05:11 PM   
Bethesda posted a Sticky on their forums on launch day. For those experiencing Crash to Desktop:

Go into Windows and adjust the default Audio setting to 24bit 44100hz (not 48000hz).

I made the switch and Have only crashed once in the last two days (I still use F5 Quicksave to be safe). Launch day I crashed 3-4 times in 4hrs of play.
Bethesda posted a Sticky on their forums on launch day. For those experiencing Crash to Desktop:

Go into Windows and adjust the default Audio setting to 24bit 44100hz (not 48000hz).

I made the switch and Have only crashed once in the last two days (I still use F5 Quicksave to be safe). Launch day I crashed 3-4 times in 4hrs of play.

i5-750 @ 4Ghz (1.32v) / GA-P55-UD4P / 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600

EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX / Antec Kuhler 620 / Antec TPQ-850

Thermaltake Armor 8003BWS / Asus VH226H @ 1920x1080

Posted 11/15/2011 10:52 PM   
[quote name='Kyitty' date='15 November 2011 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1321397544' post='1327222']

[/quote]

I did this and it fixed the sound issues, but it DID NOT stop the constant game crashes.
[quote name='Kyitty' date='15 November 2011 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1321397544' post='1327222']

I did this and it fixed the sound issues, but it DID NOT stop the constant game crashes.

Posted 11/16/2011 04:43 AM   
[quote name='Monkey_Business' date='16 November 2011 - 04:43 AM' timestamp='1321418591' post='1327382']
[/quote]

Guess that answers the question as to wether or not your system will max out skyrim eh
[quote name='Monkey_Business' date='16 November 2011 - 04:43 AM' timestamp='1321418591' post='1327382']

Guess that answers the question as to wether or not your system will max out skyrim eh

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 11/16/2011 04:53 AM   
Getting the same problem, changing the sound did nothing and its so annoying, I've tried going to my next quest 10 times onw and cant because I crash before I get there...

i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, GTX560 on 285.62 drivers. How can this crash?

FIX THIS NVIDIA!
Getting the same problem, changing the sound did nothing and its so annoying, I've tried going to my next quest 10 times onw and cant because I crash before I get there...

i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, GTX560 on 285.62 drivers. How can this crash?

FIX THIS NVIDIA!

Posted 11/16/2011 07:24 AM   
The errors I get are directly related to video as windows tells me the Display driver has stop responding and sometimes it recovers and other times it just crashes to desktop.

the same problem happens in Skyrim AND COD:Modern Warfare 3

Intel i7 920 @ 4ghz ( corsair h50 cooler with ungraded slipstream 1600 rpm fan)
Asus P6T motherboard
6 gigs Cosair memory 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 triple channel
Nvidia GTX470 with Arctic Cooler (overclocked core-800/shader-1500/memory- 1750) latest driver and even rolled back to the 270.xx( with clean install)
Corsair TX650 power supply
Soundblaster Xfi soundcard set to 24bit 44100hz
Antec 900 case so overheating is not a problem

I have been running this setup for almost 2 years and have never had any problems untill I bought Skyrim and COD:mw3 in the last week( also tried clocking CPU and GPU to stock clocks and same problem in both games)

both games give came random error

randomly( even at the game menu) the game will pause( sound is still running) then will get a black screen( sound is still going) then it will either recover or crash to desktop

all my other games still work flawlessly.
The errors I get are directly related to video as windows tells me the Display driver has stop responding and sometimes it recovers and other times it just crashes to desktop.

the same problem happens in Skyrim AND COD:Modern Warfare 3

Intel i7 920 @ 4ghz ( corsair h50 cooler with ungraded slipstream 1600 rpm fan)

Asus P6T motherboard

6 gigs Cosair memory 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 triple channel

Nvidia GTX470 with Arctic Cooler (overclocked core-800/shader-1500/memory- 1750) latest driver and even rolled back to the 270.xx( with clean install)

Corsair TX650 power supply

Soundblaster Xfi soundcard set to 24bit 44100hz

Antec 900 case so overheating is not a problem

I have been running this setup for almost 2 years and have never had any problems untill I bought Skyrim and COD:mw3 in the last week( also tried clocking CPU and GPU to stock clocks and same problem in both games)

both games give came random error

randomly( even at the game menu) the game will pause( sound is still running) then will get a black screen( sound is still going) then it will either recover or crash to desktop

all my other games still work flawlessly.

Posted 11/16/2011 02:36 PM   
Hi Guys

I have a quite a sound set up but i find the main culprit when crashing in game is Fast Travel! So by avoiding that it crashes a lot less. I tried the reduction in Sound and that doesn't work for me but i do try and keep an eye on my states for temperatures and workrate with my CPU and GPU as i think its important to monitor it especially as this game uses a lot of Vram, especially for a Dell 3008wfp /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

So download whatever programme helps to monitor these stats, I use Easytune for my motherboard/CPU and Asus Tweak for the GPU. Also try changing the Physx on Nvidia options to CPU not Auto or GPU. IO found that help it crash less, that I i've used an older driver instead of the last few.

Hope this helps

Happy Gaming!
Hi Guys

I have a quite a sound set up but i find the main culprit when crashing in game is Fast Travel! So by avoiding that it crashes a lot less. I tried the reduction in Sound and that doesn't work for me but i do try and keep an eye on my states for temperatures and workrate with my CPU and GPU as i think its important to monitor it especially as this game uses a lot of Vram, especially for a Dell 3008wfp /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

So download whatever programme helps to monitor these stats, I use Easytune for my motherboard/CPU and Asus Tweak for the GPU. Also try changing the Physx on Nvidia options to CPU not Auto or GPU. IO found that help it crash less, that I i've used an older driver instead of the last few.

Hope this helps

Happy Gaming!

Posted 11/16/2011 07:17 PM   
[quote name='rpws1' date='16 November 2011 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1321471028' post='1327766']
Hi Guys

So download whatever programme helps to monitor these stats, I use Easytune for my motherboard/CPU and Asus Tweak for the GPU.[b] Also try changing the Physx on Nvidia options to CPU not Auto or GPU[/b]. IO found that help it crash less, that I i've used an older driver instead of the last few.

Hope this helps

Happy Gaming!
[/quote]

this is pure placebo effect, a game that has 0 physx libraries implemented will not crash because of physx.
[quote name='rpws1' date='16 November 2011 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1321471028' post='1327766']

Hi Guys

Hope this helps

Happy Gaming!

this is pure placebo effect, a game that has 0 physx libraries implemented will not crash because of physx.

Posted 11/16/2011 11:47 PM   
I purchased the Steam version of this game and attempted to play it moments ago. I have all settings on ultra running at 1920x1080. The beginning sequence completes and I can then play for about thirty minutes or so before the EXE stops responding to Windows. I have to kill it via task manager. I already changed my audio to 44kHz before even starting the game.

I am running 285.62 drivers. Can anyone state which drivers do work with this game? My framerates are fine, but the game crashes. Crysis 2 on my system doesn't crash.

My specs are below.

Thanks.
I purchased the Steam version of this game and attempted to play it moments ago. I have all settings on ultra running at 1920x1080. The beginning sequence completes and I can then play for about thirty minutes or so before the EXE stops responding to Windows. I have to kill it via task manager. I already changed my audio to 44kHz before even starting the game.

I am running 285.62 drivers. Can anyone state which drivers do work with this game? My framerates are fine, but the game crashes. Crysis 2 on my system doesn't crash.

My specs are below.

Thanks.

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC Mainboard

990X i7 @ 4.408GHz / 152MHz BCLK X 29 Multiplier / Turbo enabled w/Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM X 6 @ 1520MHz

Zotac GTX580 AMP! Edition X 2 in SLI @ 843MHz GPU / 2050MHz Memory

Intel 510 series 250GB SSD X 2 @ SATA600

Enermax MaxRevo 1350W PSU

Antec 900 air cooled case

QNAP TS-809 Pro RAID-6 10.74TB NAS @ Gigabit Ethernet

Posted 11/17/2011 09:56 AM   
I restarted from my auto saved game, and it crashed again at exactly the same point. After searching, I found that the fix is to set audio to 44kHz and 16-bit. I had mine set to 44kHz 24-bit. After changing the bitrate to 16-bit, I got through the part that kept crashing.

The game looks good but the shadows don't look so great to me. They look blocky and pixilated for some reason.
I restarted from my auto saved game, and it crashed again at exactly the same point. After searching, I found that the fix is to set audio to 44kHz and 16-bit. I had mine set to 44kHz 24-bit. After changing the bitrate to 16-bit, I got through the part that kept crashing.

The game looks good but the shadows don't look so great to me. They look blocky and pixilated for some reason.

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC Mainboard

990X i7 @ 4.408GHz / 152MHz BCLK X 29 Multiplier / Turbo enabled w/Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM X 6 @ 1520MHz

Zotac GTX580 AMP! Edition X 2 in SLI @ 843MHz GPU / 2050MHz Memory

Intel 510 series 250GB SSD X 2 @ SATA600

Enermax MaxRevo 1350W PSU

Antec 900 air cooled case

QNAP TS-809 Pro RAID-6 10.74TB NAS @ Gigabit Ethernet

Posted 11/17/2011 10:50 AM   
[quote name='Dryne' date='17 November 2011 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1321527049' post='1328151']

[/quote]

The game crashed over a dozen times in the last hour. This is a horrendous problem that a lot of people are having and I certainly hope that Bethesda addresses it.
[quote name='Dryne' date='17 November 2011 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1321527049' post='1328151']

The game crashed over a dozen times in the last hour. This is a horrendous problem that a lot of people are having and I certainly hope that Bethesda addresses it.

Posted 11/17/2011 07:54 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top