Skyrim SLI - Random black flashing
  1 / 2    
I haven't heard of anyone reporting this issue anywhere on the net thus far. This has never happened while in town, and usually happens while walking through a forested area. With SLI enabled, suddenly the entire screen will flash black rapidly and the sound will skip for about 3-5 seconds and then return to normal. With Single GPU selected for Skyrim in NVCP (but SLI still enabled otherwise), this happened far less frequently, although it DID happen once as I was walking high up a mountain in the world with heavy snow falling. It seems like an SLI issue, but the fact it happened while Single GPU was enabled concerns me.

Anyone else have this happen? What do you guys think? SLI issue? Part of the infamous sound issue? What should I do?
I haven't heard of anyone reporting this issue anywhere on the net thus far. This has never happened while in town, and usually happens while walking through a forested area. With SLI enabled, suddenly the entire screen will flash black rapidly and the sound will skip for about 3-5 seconds and then return to normal. With Single GPU selected for Skyrim in NVCP (but SLI still enabled otherwise), this happened far less frequently, although it DID happen once as I was walking high up a mountain in the world with heavy snow falling. It seems like an SLI issue, but the fact it happened while Single GPU was enabled concerns me.

Anyone else have this happen? What do you guys think? SLI issue? Part of the infamous sound issue? What should I do?

Posted 11/12/2011 01:58 PM   
Should also mention I have a 120Hz monitor. I was trying to capture the flashing with FRAPS, which will only record at 60fps. Each time it happened and I attempted to capture it, it wouldn't happen. I think it now may be related to the refresh rate. It just feels so much better at 120Hz, I'd hate to have to run it at 60Hz. Anyone else have this happening/know of a workaround or solution?
Should also mention I have a 120Hz monitor. I was trying to capture the flashing with FRAPS, which will only record at 60fps. Each time it happened and I attempted to capture it, it wouldn't happen. I think it now may be related to the refresh rate. It just feels so much better at 120Hz, I'd hate to have to run it at 60Hz. Anyone else have this happening/know of a workaround or solution?

Posted 11/12/2011 02:18 PM   
well be nice to list your pc specs....

for me sli works and scales great all on ultra 1920x1200 60 refresh......my specs are below
well be nice to list your pc specs....

for me sli works and scales great all on ultra 1920x1200 60 refresh......my specs are below

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 11/12/2011 02:20 PM   
My bad:

i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 580 SLI
285.79 Beta drivers
Windows 7 x64

Yeah, as I said, it seems to work fine at 60Hz. Since getting the 120Hz monitor though, I'm spoiled.
My bad:

i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

GTX 580 SLI

285.79 Beta drivers

Windows 7 x64

Yeah, as I said, it seems to work fine at 60Hz. Since getting the 120Hz monitor though, I'm spoiled.

Posted 11/12/2011 02:32 PM   
For what it's worth, I can pretty much confirm this issue is related to SLI and running my monitor at 120Hz.

SLI enabled, low settings: Flashes still happen
SLI enabled, low settings, vsync disabled: Flashes still happen
Single GPU setting on Skyrim, SLI still enabled otherwise: Flashes happen less frequently
SLI enabled, running monitor at 60Hz: Flashes do not happen
SLI disabled completely, running monitor at 120Hz: Flashes do not happen

This is unfortunately a narrow problem, which means I'm probably not going to have a lot of company calling for a fix for this issue. This has never happened in any other game to me, and I'm pretty adept at troubleshooting any issues with games, as I'm pretty picky about things working well. The SLI scaling is not great anyways, but I figure this will most likely improve with subsequent patches and drivers. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in that process.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue, has any suggestions, or any general comments, please feel free to respond. I feel I'm on my own here, and that's not a great feeling.
For what it's worth, I can pretty much confirm this issue is related to SLI and running my monitor at 120Hz.

SLI enabled, low settings: Flashes still happen

SLI enabled, low settings, vsync disabled: Flashes still happen

Single GPU setting on Skyrim, SLI still enabled otherwise: Flashes happen less frequently

SLI enabled, running monitor at 60Hz: Flashes do not happen

SLI disabled completely, running monitor at 120Hz: Flashes do not happen

This is unfortunately a narrow problem, which means I'm probably not going to have a lot of company calling for a fix for this issue. This has never happened in any other game to me, and I'm pretty adept at troubleshooting any issues with games, as I'm pretty picky about things working well. The SLI scaling is not great anyways, but I figure this will most likely improve with subsequent patches and drivers. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in that process.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue, has any suggestions, or any general comments, please feel free to respond. I feel I'm on my own here, and that's not a great feeling.

Posted 11/12/2011 03:36 PM   
i'm running my GTX 560 Ti SLI (2) at 59hz and i'm getting the exact same thing you are, so no i don't think it's exclusive to 120hz even though running at 60hz for you solves it.
i'm running my GTX 560 Ti SLI (2) at 59hz and i'm getting the exact same thing you are, so no i don't think it's exclusive to 120hz even though running at 60hz for you solves it.

Posted 11/12/2011 04:22 PM   
[quote name='snuggans' date='12 November 2011 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1321114973' post='1325151']
[/quote]

What about if you disable SLI completely? Does that fix the problem?
[quote name='snuggans' date='12 November 2011 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1321114973' post='1325151']

What about if you disable SLI completely? Does that fix the problem?

Posted 11/12/2011 05:12 PM   
I can confirm same thing happens to me,

New beta drivers.

Sli - 2xGTX560ti
i5 760@ 3.8ghz
8gb ram

60Hz refresh

win 7 sp1 ult

The falashing lines are accompanied by sound crackling. CONFIRMED - enabling Vsync fixed the issue, but game feels like mouse is glued to the table.

Glad i am not alone!
I can confirm same thing happens to me,

New beta drivers.

Sli - 2xGTX560ti

i5 760@ 3.8ghz

8gb ram

60Hz refresh

win 7 sp1 ult

The falashing lines are accompanied by sound crackling. CONFIRMED - enabling Vsync fixed the issue, but game feels like mouse is glued to the table.

Glad i am not alone!

Posted 11/13/2011 03:00 AM   
Happens near water to me, screen flashes and water splashing sound plays.
Happens near water to me, screen flashes and water splashing sound plays.

CPU: Intel i7 930 | RAM: 6x2048MB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

GPUs: 2*470GTX | HDD: Never enough

Posted 11/13/2011 10:17 AM   
I have this issue near water, mountains, while looking in the sky. its a very fast momentary flicker of black horizontal line, accompanied by a sound distortion at the same rate. This stops after a second and starts again when I move around again.

I'm running MSI 560 Ti Hawks IN SLi
285.79 Drivers
i7 920 @3.8 stable
GPU's are NOT overclocked
6GB G,Skill Ram

I've disabled Vsync in nvidia control panel

The issue disappears when I disable SLi as well. Unfortunately, I sort of need both cards in order to run ultra quality.

I've tried changing audio quality to all available and changing all the settings in nvidia panel, but doent help anything.

The problem happens only outside. Perhaps this is an issue related to reflections, it happens on water and any moving fog that relfects light.

I'll try to reduce reflection and see if it help.

My system runs great on all my other games. This seems like a driver problem. Its def. software related.

Anyway I mainly post to get nVidia's attention but If I find something that helps this stupid problem then I will def. post.

At least it isnt cause crashes...yet.....although I do still get crashes to desktop with no error msgs.
I have this issue near water, mountains, while looking in the sky. its a very fast momentary flicker of black horizontal line, accompanied by a sound distortion at the same rate. This stops after a second and starts again when I move around again.

I'm running MSI 560 Ti Hawks IN SLi

285.79 Drivers

i7 920 @3.8 stable

GPU's are NOT overclocked

6GB G,Skill Ram

I've disabled Vsync in nvidia control panel

The issue disappears when I disable SLi as well. Unfortunately, I sort of need both cards in order to run ultra quality.

I've tried changing audio quality to all available and changing all the settings in nvidia panel, but doent help anything.

The problem happens only outside. Perhaps this is an issue related to reflections, it happens on water and any moving fog that relfects light.

I'll try to reduce reflection and see if it help.

My system runs great on all my other games. This seems like a driver problem. Its def. software related.

Anyway I mainly post to get nVidia's attention but If I find something that helps this stupid problem then I will def. post.

At least it isnt cause crashes...yet.....although I do still get crashes to desktop with no error msgs.

Posted 11/13/2011 05:02 PM   
So I've been trying to capture this problem in a video with FRAPS. Strange thing is that once I start recording, the problem doen't occur, the moment the recording stops, the flicking comes back. I think thats this flickering has something todo with why vsync is enabled by default in this game.
So I've been trying to capture this problem in a video with FRAPS. Strange thing is that once I start recording, the problem doen't occur, the moment the recording stops, the flicking comes back. I think thats this flickering has something todo with why vsync is enabled by default in this game.

Posted 11/13/2011 07:38 PM   
same thing happens to me on a 120hz monitor - disabling SLI resolves the issue.
same thing happens to me on a 120hz monitor - disabling SLI resolves the issue.

Posted 11/13/2011 11:36 PM   
Also confirmed that using http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34 to limit your framerate to 100 resolves the issue in SLI mode, with your monitor at 120 hz.

Don't say I never gave you anything, internets!
Also confirmed that using http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34 to limit your framerate to 100 resolves the issue in SLI mode, with your monitor at 120 hz.

Don't say I never gave you anything, internets!

Posted 11/13/2011 11:49 PM   
F3likx,

your method works. Well done.

Its a fix for me cause I only have a 60Hz monitor so a 100 FPS limit is smooth enough to enjoy the game.

This should be good enough for everyone for now at least until....if nvidia/bethesda ever fix any of these issues.

Have you found any difference in performance/stutter/lag etc. by setting pre-rendered frames to 0 in nVidia control panel?

Thanks.
F3likx,

your method works. Well done.

Its a fix for me cause I only have a 60Hz monitor so a 100 FPS limit is smooth enough to enjoy the game.

This should be good enough for everyone for now at least until....if nvidia/bethesda ever fix any of these issues.

Have you found any difference in performance/stutter/lag etc. by setting pre-rendered frames to 0 in nVidia control panel?

Thanks.

Posted 11/14/2011 08:15 AM   
Very nice to see temp. work around, thanks!
Will give it a whirl when get back from work.

I wonder if any of you are having issues with irregular mouse input across X/Y axis? Sometimes it would be pretty universal, but sometimes Y axis feels more sensitive, especially inside.

Most likely to do with FPS / Vsync if you ask me, as when i have Vsync on that issue is gone, but it feels sluggish.

@ f3likx -

How does that utility work? Are those just 2 extra config files, or does adding .dll to ur Skyrim directory enables extra options in game?
Very nice to see temp. work around, thanks!

Will give it a whirl when get back from work.

I wonder if any of you are having issues with irregular mouse input across X/Y axis? Sometimes it would be pretty universal, but sometimes Y axis feels more sensitive, especially inside.

Most likely to do with FPS / Vsync if you ask me, as when i have Vsync on that issue is gone, but it feels sluggish.

@ f3likx -

How does that utility work? Are those just 2 extra config files, or does adding .dll to ur Skyrim directory enables extra options in game?

Posted 11/14/2011 03:27 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top