SKYRIM + SLI 580's = 20 FPS on ultra A discussion on the need for SLI GPU optimization for Skyri
  1 / 2    
HELLO! I seem to be one of the vast PC users that got Skyrim today and was shocked by the poor performance despite having duel GPU's GTX 50's

My setup seems to run BF3 on ultra in between 40-60+ FPS so I don't understand why Skyrim is preforming so badly.

Forgive my ignorance I'm new to the whole PC thing but isnt this supposed to be running a little better?

Currently Skyrim is running on ultra setting with everything maxed out @ 10-20 FPS with a 30% GPU load from both (keep in mind everything is up to date including the recent beta drivers)

Turning down some setting and draw distances helps at 30-40 FPS but this is not what I paid for.
I know Skyrim is a console lead game and Nivida/AMD receives the short end of the stick these days but this is terrible.

If you are one of these suffering gamers post here! lets get this thing some attention!

I want a good Skyrimming Damnit!!!!
HELLO! I seem to be one of the vast PC users that got Skyrim today and was shocked by the poor performance despite having duel GPU's GTX 50's

My setup seems to run BF3 on ultra in between 40-60+ FPS so I don't understand why Skyrim is preforming so badly.

Forgive my ignorance I'm new to the whole PC thing but isnt this supposed to be running a little better?

Currently Skyrim is running on ultra setting with everything maxed out @ 10-20 FPS with a 30% GPU load from both (keep in mind everything is up to date including the recent beta drivers)

Turning down some setting and draw distances helps at 30-40 FPS but this is not what I paid for.

I know Skyrim is a console lead game and Nivida/AMD receives the short end of the stick these days but this is terrible.

If you are one of these suffering gamers post here! lets get this thing some attention!

Posted 11/12/2011 01:23 AM   
The reference to Nvidia/AMD getting the short end of the stick is merely a statement on the "console lead" rubbish. Us PC gamers are getting abused here for ALOT of money.
The reference to Nvidia/AMD getting the short end of the stick is merely a statement on the "console lead" rubbish. Us PC gamers are getting abused here for ALOT of money.

Posted 11/12/2011 01:25 AM   
What are your full system specs?

*edit*

Post 1111. Awesome.

*edit*

Post 1111. Awesome.

MY RIG

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4H

i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz
8GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
2x Gigabyte GTX670 OC Windforce Version SLI
Corsair H100 Cooler
Corsair HX1050W
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB (OS)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Storage, games etc)
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Corsair 600T Graphite - White
3x Samsung Syncmaster 2433BW+ In Surround

Posted 11/12/2011 01:27 AM   
@ Iv_marv

MSI TwinFroz 2x GTX 580's SLI
AMD 1090T x6 phenom processor 3.2 G
8 gigs DDR3
ASUS crosshairV motherboard (not sure if more details would help there)it's supposed to be a good motherboard.
lots of cooling and no overclocking

Hope that helps i'm more then a bit of a newb when it comes to these matters. But I just don't get why BF3 would run so much better then a game with worse graphics (Skyrim) The contrast is very visible.
@ Iv_marv

8 gigs DDR3

ASUS crosshairV motherboard (not sure if more details would help there)it's supposed to be a good motherboard.

Hope that helps i'm more then a bit of a newb when it comes to these matters. But I just don't get why BF3 would run so much better then a game with worse graphics (Skyrim) The contrast is very visible.

Posted 11/12/2011 01:33 AM   
[quote name='lv_marv' date='11 November 2011 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1321061236' post='1324835']
[/quote]

OOPS I didnt hit reply. please read my comment :)
[quote name='lv_marv' date='11 November 2011 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1321061236' post='1324835']

OOPS I didnt hit reply. please read my comment :)

Posted 11/12/2011 01:34 AM   
[quote name='havoas' date='11 November 2011 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1321061027' post='1324829']

[/quote]
[i]
As Marv stated, please include your full system specifications. You have something seriously going on if you have two GTX580s producing your stated frames-per-second. I have 3-way SLi GX580 (3Gig) and what little I have played of the game, I max the vertical sync lock at 60FPS. I prefer that due to the massive screen tearing seen with modifying the system configuration to disable V-Sync. V-Sync disabled I have exceeded 100FPS. My settings are 'ultra" with FXAA/8xMSAA+SS via .ini @ 2560x1600. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='havoas' date='11 November 2011 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1321061027' post='1324829']

As Marv stated, please include your full system specifications. You have something seriously going on if you have two GTX580s producing your stated frames-per-second. I have 3-way SLi GX580 (3Gig) and what little I have played of the game, I max the vertical sync lock at 60FPS. I prefer that due to the massive screen tearing seen with modifying the system configuration to disable V-Sync. V-Sync disabled I have exceeded 100FPS. My settings are 'ultra" with FXAA/8xMSAA+SS via .ini @ 2560x1600.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 11/12/2011 01:40 AM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 November 2011 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1321062018' post='1324847']
[i]
As Marv stated, please include your full system specifications. You have something seriously going on if you have two GTX580s producing your stated frames-per-second. I have 3-way SLi GX580 (3Gig) and what little I have played of the game, I max the vertical sync lock at 60FPS. I prefer that due to the massive screen tearing seen with modifying the system configuration to disable V-Sync. V-Sync disabled I have exceeded 100FPS. My settings are 'ultra" with FXAA/8xMSAA+SS via .ini @ 2560x1600. [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

Really?? Damn ok heres my specs

8 gigs DDR3
800W Corsair power supply
Win7 pro
Not sure if any other details matter. GPU Drivers are up to date aswell.
and like I was saying my GPU's have run at 100% with no problem during BF3 so I'm assuming this has to be a software issue
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 November 2011 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1321062018' post='1324847']

As Marv stated, please include your full system specifications. You have something seriously going on if you have two GTX580s producing your stated frames-per-second. I have 3-way SLi GX580 (3Gig) and what little I have played of the game, I max the vertical sync lock at 60FPS. I prefer that due to the massive screen tearing seen with modifying the system configuration to disable V-Sync. V-Sync disabled I have exceeded 100FPS. My settings are 'ultra" with FXAA/8xMSAA+SS via .ini @ 2560x1600.

-Hooks

8 gigs DDR3

Win7 pro

and like I was saying my GPU's have run at 100% with no problem during BF3 so I'm assuming this has to be a software issue

Posted 11/12/2011 01:45 AM   
[quote name='havoas' date='11 November 2011 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1321062321' post='1324848']

8 gigs DDR3
Win7 pro
[/quote]
[i]
I am leaning more toward a CPU oriented bottleneck with the frequency communication. Many users are posting similar issues, where their GPUs are current, however CPU speed cannot pull the weight. Frostbite 2 engine (Battlefield 3) does a far better job of utilizing given resources individually, whereas Skyrim tends to distribute the performance necessities evenly across the CPU/GPU. That can be good and bad. I would wait for the first series of patches to improve performance. This could be related to CPU consumption and optimizations running the instruction.

Out of curiosity, what are the current timings and frequency of your memory as well. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='havoas' date='11 November 2011 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1321062321' post='1324848']

8 gigs DDR3

Win7 pro

I am leaning more toward a CPU oriented bottleneck with the frequency communication. Many users are posting similar issues, where their GPUs are current, however CPU speed cannot pull the weight. Frostbite 2 engine (Battlefield 3) does a far better job of utilizing given resources individually, whereas Skyrim tends to distribute the performance necessities evenly across the CPU/GPU. That can be good and bad. I would wait for the first series of patches to improve performance. This could be related to CPU consumption and optimizations running the instruction.

Out of curiosity, what are the current timings and frequency of your memory as well.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 11/12/2011 10:40 AM   
The problem is, like Oblivion, the engine most likely is not very good at multi-threading beyond two cores. As a result, you're probably severely limiting your GPU performance via your CPU not being overclocked.

I'm going to test this game out this morning, I will post back results with my 6990 both with the 2600k @ stock, vs 4.6GHz... we'll see what the FPS difference is, as I think that'll give us a great indication of just how CPU-based this game is (which I think it's heavily CPU based, AKA any processor older than i7/Phenom II based is not going to be able to run the game even on High, at all)

I will post back, watching this topic.

Do me a favor: Disable SLi, test again, see if your performance is better or worse.
The problem is, like Oblivion, the engine most likely is not very good at multi-threading beyond two cores. As a result, you're probably severely limiting your GPU performance via your CPU not being overclocked.

I'm going to test this game out this morning, I will post back results with my 6990 both with the 2600k @ stock, vs 4.6GHz... we'll see what the FPS difference is, as I think that'll give us a great indication of just how CPU-based this game is (which I think it's heavily CPU based, AKA any processor older than i7/Phenom II based is not going to be able to run the game even on High, at all)

I will post back, watching this topic.

Do me a favor: Disable SLi, test again, see if your performance is better or worse.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 11/12/2011 10:48 AM   
Well my initial thoughts are as follows: The beginning of the game is very demanding, and doesn't run as well as the rest of the game... so get through the opening bit before you pass performance judgement.

Initially at 4.6GHz/QuadFire enabled, I was seeing 60-70% GPU usage across all 4 GPUs, and only getting 20-50FPS, but that's in the very beginning of the game.
Well my initial thoughts are as follows: The beginning of the game is very demanding, and doesn't run as well as the rest of the game... so get through the opening bit before you pass performance judgement.

Initially at 4.6GHz/QuadFire enabled, I was seeing 60-70% GPU usage across all 4 GPUs, and only getting 20-50FPS, but that's in the very beginning of the game.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 11/12/2011 04:02 PM   
Interesting! actually as the game furthers the studdering seems to be lessened. Fps has picked up a LITTLE bit as you initially speculated.

I will try the SLI disabled test and post back :) I think your right about the CPU orientation. everyone else thinks the CPU focus has created a bottle neck, hopefully this gets patched soon.
Interesting! actually as the game furthers the studdering seems to be lessened. Fps has picked up a LITTLE bit as you initially speculated.

I will try the SLI disabled test and post back :) I think your right about the CPU orientation. everyone else thinks the CPU focus has created a bottle neck, hopefully this gets patched soon.

Posted 11/12/2011 10:07 PM   
It may be that even a DX11 Patch appears later, I read it a few Days ago.

Posted 11/12/2011 11:48 PM   
[quote name='Blaire' date='12 November 2011 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1321141719' post='1325362']
[/quote]

[i]False, the engine is incapable. If it is implemented, it will be "gimmick" features. To my knowledge even proper SSAO is incapable, as well as soft shadows. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Blaire' date='12 November 2011 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1321141719' post='1325362']

False, the engine is incapable. If it is implemented, it will be "gimmick" features. To my knowledge even proper SSAO is incapable, as well as soft shadows.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 11/12/2011 11:53 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 November 2011 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1321141983' post='1325364']
[i]False, the engine is incapable. If it is implemented, it will be "gimmick" features. To my knowledge even proper SSAO is incapable, as well as soft shadows. [/i]
[/quote]
[url="http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3049109"]Here the Interview[/url]
If then only to the Performance Increase over DX9 which were also not so bad.
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 November 2011 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1321141983' post='1325364']

False, the engine is incapable. If it is implemented, it will be "gimmick" features. To my knowledge even proper SSAO is incapable, as well as soft shadows.

Here the Interview

Posted 11/13/2011 01:48 AM   
[quote name='Blaire' date='12 November 2011 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1321148880' post='1325398']
[url="http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3049109"]Here the Interview[/url]
[/quote]

[i]That interview is vague regarding DX11. Basically, he had stated that they were interested in the future but not perusing. I can tell you looking at the files present, that it is built far too similar to that of Oblivion to contain anything like tessellation in the future. They would need to repack the entire game, which is simply not logical. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Blaire' date='12 November 2011 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1321148880' post='1325398']

Here the Interview

That interview is vague regarding DX11. Basically, he had stated that they were interested in the future but not perusing. I can tell you looking at the files present, that it is built far too similar to that of Oblivion to contain anything like tessellation in the future. They would need to repack the entire game, which is simply not logical.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 11/13/2011 09:34 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top