GTX 460 SLI BF3 Crash issues
  1 / 7    
Well hello there!

I got 2x GeForce GTX 460 GLH Edition in SLI and for the first time ever, I'm running into constant graphic issues with a game, that game being Battlefield 3.

To begin with Battlefield 3 runs smoothly if I disable SLI and run "High" preset graphical settings - no crashing, no overheating or any graphic bugs.
Upon activating SLI, fps rises in-game, GPU temperatures rise a little as expected and everything seems to run as should. However, in fifteen minutes or so Battlefield 3 just freezes, crashing my whole system when it does. No bluescreen, just frozen. Sometimes it freezes instantaneously and sometimes I get to play for an hour before it freezes.

To make things more complicated, turning on SLI isn't the only thing crashing BF3 for me - choosing to play with "Ultra" preset graphics OR manually switching some settings from HIGH to Ultra freezes the game almost instantly, SLI or no SLI.

Due to having to reboot every time this happens, it's sort of difficult to try different settings from either the NVIDIA control panel OR BF3.

I have the same problem with both the older NVIDIA drivers and the new 285.79 Beta drivers. We can assume the drivers are installed properly, did a driversweep & clean install. Tried them twice just to be sure.

GPU temperatures stay at around 70-80 celsius with or without SLI, so overheating shouldn't be the cause either.

No issues with any other game so far, SLI or no SLI.

I'm looking forward to getting some constructive feedback on what to do next. Should I start shopping for a better power supply, a new SLI bridge or maybe invest in 2 new graphics cards.

-Ducksey
Well hello there!

I got 2x GeForce GTX 460 GLH Edition in SLI and for the first time ever, I'm running into constant graphic issues with a game, that game being Battlefield 3.

To begin with Battlefield 3 runs smoothly if I disable SLI and run "High" preset graphical settings - no crashing, no overheating or any graphic bugs.

Upon activating SLI, fps rises in-game, GPU temperatures rise a little as expected and everything seems to run as should. However, in fifteen minutes or so Battlefield 3 just freezes, crashing my whole system when it does. No bluescreen, just frozen. Sometimes it freezes instantaneously and sometimes I get to play for an hour before it freezes.

To make things more complicated, turning on SLI isn't the only thing crashing BF3 for me - choosing to play with "Ultra" preset graphics OR manually switching some settings from HIGH to Ultra freezes the game almost instantly, SLI or no SLI.

Due to having to reboot every time this happens, it's sort of difficult to try different settings from either the NVIDIA control panel OR BF3.

I have the same problem with both the older NVIDIA drivers and the new 285.79 Beta drivers. We can assume the drivers are installed properly, did a driversweep & clean install. Tried them twice just to be sure.

GPU temperatures stay at around 70-80 celsius with or without SLI, so overheating shouldn't be the cause either.

No issues with any other game so far, SLI or no SLI.

I'm looking forward to getting some constructive feedback on what to do next. Should I start shopping for a better power supply, a new SLI bridge or maybe invest in 2 new graphics cards.

-Ducksey

Posted 11/11/2011 02:01 PM   
Which power supply do you have?

The more you tell us about your syatem spec's the more of an educated guess the user's can give.

The more you tell us about your syatem spec's the more of an educated guess the user's can give.

Posted 11/11/2011 02:20 PM   
[quote name='Impatient' date='11 November 2011 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1321021202' post='1324456']

[/quote]

More spesific system specs:

ASUS P6X58D-E MB - Intel i7 930 @ 2.80Ghz - 6,00Gt RAM - Corsair TX 650W Power supply. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
[quote name='Impatient' date='11 November 2011 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1321021202' post='1324456']

More spesific system specs:

ASUS P6X58D-E MB - Intel i7 930 @ 2.80Ghz - 6,00Gt RAM - Corsair TX 650W Power supply. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Posted 11/11/2011 02:30 PM   
That should be enough power to run the system at full load if you are running the cpu at near stock frequency.

Since it is the only game that cause's the problem i would wait awhile and see if they don't release a patch for the game.

So many people have had issue's with bf3 including myself on what seemed like perfectly running system's that i'm inclined to believe it's driver and game related instead of hardware.

I even went as far as swapping the card's from my son's system (zotac gtx460's) into mine and still had some lockup's and he played through the single player campaign with no problem's at all.
That should be enough power to run the system at full load if you are running the cpu at near stock frequency.

Since it is the only game that cause's the problem i would wait awhile and see if they don't release a patch for the game.

So many people have had issue's with bf3 including myself on what seemed like perfectly running system's that i'm inclined to believe it's driver and game related instead of hardware.

I even went as far as swapping the card's from my son's system (zotac gtx460's) into mine and still had some lockup's and he played through the single player campaign with no problem's at all.

Posted 11/11/2011 03:02 PM   
Ducksey,

I have a similar rig and am having the same problem (though I don't even last 15 minutes).

Rig:

i7 930
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
6GB RAM
2x GTX 460 1GB
Corsair TX750

If I play with only 1 card, the game runs fine on high-med. But in SLI, my computer freezes so that I can't even alt tab or go into task manager. Though it's not consistent, just changing video settings from high -> ultra has caused my computer to freeze as well.

I have clean installed all drivers, even rolled back and tried the new beta drivers -- nothing works. Only happens in BF3, all other games work fine.

Some things I have tried:
1) Reset CPU and RAM to stock speeds -> doesn't help.
2) Turn off any monitoring software before playing (e.g. EVGA precision) -> doesn't help.
3) Both cards have been tested individually -> work fine with no issues.

Any help guys? The game is basically unplayable right now.

EDIT - also to add: the new beta drivers makes the green flashes occur much more often and consistently (when I look around too quick). This occured with the older drivers, but not this frequently.
Ducksey,

I have a similar rig and am having the same problem (though I don't even last 15 minutes).

Rig:

i7 930

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

6GB RAM

2x GTX 460 1GB

Corsair TX750

If I play with only 1 card, the game runs fine on high-med. But in SLI, my computer freezes so that I can't even alt tab or go into task manager. Though it's not consistent, just changing video settings from high -> ultra has caused my computer to freeze as well.

I have clean installed all drivers, even rolled back and tried the new beta drivers -- nothing works. Only happens in BF3, all other games work fine.

Some things I have tried:

1) Reset CPU and RAM to stock speeds -> doesn't help.

2) Turn off any monitoring software before playing (e.g. EVGA precision) -> doesn't help.

3) Both cards have been tested individually -> work fine with no issues.

Any help guys? The game is basically unplayable right now.

EDIT - also to add: the new beta drivers makes the green flashes occur much more often and consistently (when I look around too quick). This occured with the older drivers, but not this frequently.

Posted 11/11/2011 03:54 PM   
skyHIGH,

It's good to know I'm not the only one having these problems.

Given that we have different MB's and different PS's it kinda narrows it down to the GPU config we're using. So I guess there's nothing else to do than A. wait for a Battlefield 3 patch with better SLI support and/or B. wait for yet a better NVIDIA driver fix, that would actually help this time.

In the meanwhile, playing on a single GTX 460 isn't all that bad, with graphics preset to "HIGH" the game runs smoothly enough to play.

I hope the guys developing new driver patches include us next time, having GTX 460 SLI shouldn't be too uncommon.
skyHIGH,

It's good to know I'm not the only one having these problems.

Given that we have different MB's and different PS's it kinda narrows it down to the GPU config we're using. So I guess there's nothing else to do than A. wait for a Battlefield 3 patch with better SLI support and/or B. wait for yet a better NVIDIA driver fix, that would actually help this time.

In the meanwhile, playing on a single GTX 460 isn't all that bad, with graphics preset to "HIGH" the game runs smoothly enough to play.

I hope the guys developing new driver patches include us next time, having GTX 460 SLI shouldn't be too uncommon.

Posted 11/11/2011 04:14 PM   
This is VERY disappointing. I have almost the same setup and I've wasted 5 hours on a day I took off to play the game for nothing. I'm almost to the point of going to the store and buying an ATI. At any rate I hope EA/DICE and Nvidia test their software more before they release it.

My system loads the game and between 5 seconds-2 minutes it continuously gets more and more choppy then locks up to the point to where I need to click the reset button.

2 460GTX 768 cards
i7 950
6GB of RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
This is VERY disappointing. I have almost the same setup and I've wasted 5 hours on a day I took off to play the game for nothing. I'm almost to the point of going to the store and buying an ATI. At any rate I hope EA/DICE and Nvidia test their software more before they release it.

My system loads the game and between 5 seconds-2 minutes it continuously gets more and more choppy then locks up to the point to where I need to click the reset button.

2 460GTX 768 cards

i7 950

6GB of RAM

Gigabyte motherboard

Posted 11/11/2011 07:28 PM   
I am also having the same problem. I can play fine with SLI disabled at high settings. But when I turn on SLI it will crash within 5-10 minutes, and it's the whole computer I have to do a hard reboot.

i5-760
2xgtx460 1gb
8gb RAM
ASUS mobo
750W psu

This is only for BF3 for me, all other games play fine with SLI enabled. Benchmarking programs work fine, so I don't believe it to be a power issue either.
I am also having the same problem. I can play fine with SLI disabled at high settings. But when I turn on SLI it will crash within 5-10 minutes, and it's the whole computer I have to do a hard reboot.

i5-760

2xgtx460 1gb

8gb RAM

ASUS mobo

750W psu

This is only for BF3 for me, all other games play fine with SLI enabled. Benchmarking programs work fine, so I don't believe it to be a power issue either.

Posted 11/11/2011 10:01 PM   
It's a little comforting to know that others are experiencing this as well (so its not my rig that's messed). Like ducksey said, our GPU setup is what we all have in common; I guess we'll have to wait for nvidia/dice to come up with a fix for this... and soon I hope. I went SLI just for BF3 /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />
It's a little comforting to know that others are experiencing this as well (so its not my rig that's messed). Like ducksey said, our GPU setup is what we all have in common; I guess we'll have to wait for nvidia/dice to come up with a fix for this... and soon I hope. I went SLI just for BF3 /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

Posted 11/12/2011 01:39 AM   
[quote name='skyHIGH' date='11 November 2011 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1321061993' post='1324846']
I went SLI just for BF3 /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />
[/quote]

I did the same, and at this point it was just a waste of money :(.
[quote name='skyHIGH' date='11 November 2011 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1321061993' post='1324846']

I went SLI just for BF3 /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

I did the same, and at this point it was just a waste of money :(.

Posted 11/12/2011 02:21 AM   
I have constant crashes in BF3 as well (GTX460 SLI) , looking at error reports i have noticed that they are mostly:
Faulting module name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e9d3315
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0014824d

almost always same 0x0014824d offset...

That means its either drivers that are broken ( running latest beta ), or game is triggering some bug. No reason to suspect hardware, as it runs other games fine, single card it runs BF3 fine as well, it's SLI that is causing major problems.
I have constant crashes in BF3 as well (GTX460 SLI) , looking at error reports i have noticed that they are mostly:

Faulting module name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e9d3315

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0014824d

almost always same 0x0014824d offset...

That means its either drivers that are broken ( running latest beta ), or game is triggering some bug. No reason to suspect hardware, as it runs other games fine, single card it runs BF3 fine as well, it's SLI that is causing major problems.

Posted 11/14/2011 12:43 AM   
Hi, here is my input,
also got SLI of gainwards GLH 460 ed.
Using 285.62 driver and using the BF3 SLI profile.
I sat my fans on the cards to go to 80% when the bf3.exe is executed, so they keep cool.
(i'll will check later what tempature when gaming)

Within the last 3 to 5 days im getting the green flickering some is mentioning.
Think it began after i tried to set som of the setting from High to Ultra..
The game lagged and I returned the settings to high.
before that I did'nt have the flashes.
Maybe one should try to "reset" the gfx settings in the game

I can add also, that it has begun freezing with black screen.

This game is bugged a hell.

On a sidenote I'm experiencing the the Nvidia gfx driver is resetting in other games "the driver has stopped responding and has recovered" under several drivers.
Anyone got a solution for that ? dunno if its related

I read elsewhere, that maybe the cards to be lowered a bit on the GPU frequency, but can't yet confirm if it works.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=153929.0
Hi, here is my input,

also got SLI of gainwards GLH 460 ed.

Using 285.62 driver and using the BF3 SLI profile.

I sat my fans on the cards to go to 80% when the bf3.exe is executed, so they keep cool.

(i'll will check later what tempature when gaming)

Within the last 3 to 5 days im getting the green flickering some is mentioning.

Think it began after i tried to set som of the setting from High to Ultra..

The game lagged and I returned the settings to high.

before that I did'nt have the flashes.

Maybe one should try to "reset" the gfx settings in the game

I can add also, that it has begun freezing with black screen.

This game is bugged a hell.

On a sidenote I'm experiencing the the Nvidia gfx driver is resetting in other games "the driver has stopped responding and has recovered" under several drivers.

Anyone got a solution for that ? dunno if its related

I read elsewhere, that maybe the cards to be lowered a bit on the GPU frequency, but can't yet confirm if it works.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=153929.0

Posted 11/14/2011 10:54 AM   
I'm curious how many of you run integrated realtek audio.

I have the same problem mentioned and have tried every possible fix except one. Tomorrow i will install a soundblaster audio card and disable my onboard audio. From what i have read online this could be a possible fix for our head-aches.

As for it being purely a SLI problem i would disagree. I have friends with SLI 460's that do not have this problem.

I have the same problem mentioned and have tried every possible fix except one. Tomorrow i will install a soundblaster audio card and disable my onboard audio. From what i have read online this could be a possible fix for our head-aches.

As for it being purely a SLI problem i would disagree. I have friends with SLI 460's that do not have this problem.

Asus Rampage III Formula--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7 950/975 Bloomsfield CPU OC 3.37mhz-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1100w ABS Gold Rated PSU-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two GTX 460's 768 SLI------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4gb G.skill DDR3 1600mhz-7-7-7-23-60-1T--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two 1TB Black WDHD Raid 0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooler master Hyper N 520--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 11/14/2011 07:19 PM   
[quote name='MadOblivion' date='14 November 2011 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1321298393' post='1326368']

[/quote]

Interesting, please keep us updated. I'm running integrated realtek audio as well.
[quote name='MadOblivion' date='14 November 2011 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1321298393' post='1326368']

Interesting, please keep us updated. I'm running integrated realtek audio as well.

Posted 11/15/2011 03:21 AM   
[quote name='skyHIGH' date='15 November 2011 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1321327282' post='1326612']
[/quote]

Same here. I'm not using the integrated sound card at the moment, but it's still there.
[quote name='skyHIGH' date='15 November 2011 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1321327282' post='1326612']

Same here. I'm not using the integrated sound card at the moment, but it's still there.

Posted 11/15/2011 08:55 AM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top