NVIDIA Windows Desktop/Internet Browser TDR Troubleshooting
  1 / 93    
NVIDIA is aware that some GeForce customers have reported Windows TDRs (timeout detection and recovery) while browsing the web with Release 280 and later drivers. NVIDIA is actively working with customers to address this issue. In the few cases where NVIDIA has been able to reproduce this issue (both on-site and working directly with customers), a complete manual uninstall of the driver and subsequent clean installation of the latest Release 290 drivers using the exact directions below has fixed the issue. We will actively pursue any issues experienced by customers after following the clean installation steps below.

NVIDIA Display Driver Clean Installation Steps:

1) Click on the Windows Start Button.

2) Select Control Panel.

3) Select Uninstall a program under Programs or select Programs and Features depending on the control panel view.

4) Double-click on NVIDIA Graphics Driver in the program list and follow the uninstall instructions. Click Restart Now when prompted.

5) After restart, if you have any remaining display drivers stored in your Windows directory, Windows may start to install a different graphics driver. If so, allow it to install the driver and then restart again when prompted.

6) Repeat steps 1 through 5 until the NVIDIA Graphics Driver version is 275.XX or earlier OR until there is no NVIDIA Graphics Driver reported under Programs.

7) Download GeForce 285.62 WHQL driver from:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

8) Although not required, you may disable any system monitoring tools or anti-virus software running in the background as they may sometimes prevent driver files or registry keys from being written correctly during the installation process. After a driver installation has completed, you can re-enable your system monitoring or anti-virus software. To begin the driver installation process, Right-click on the NVIDIA display driver package and select "Run as administrator".

9) Continue to the Install Options page. Select Custom install.

10) On the Custom install page, select the checkbox for Perform clean install. Click next.

11) During the clean installation the driver, follow any requests to restart your PC.

12) After the installation is complete, restart your PC one final time.

Note: These steps are only recommended for this issue and are not required for standard driver updates.

If you have performed these steps and continue to experience TDRs, please provide your system information, driver version(s) and instructions on how to reproduce the TDR. Also please test your system using one of our earlier R275 drivers available from the following URL to verify your issue is specific to a driver issue and not hardware related:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

After you have verified that your problem only occurs with drivers R280 and above, please provide us with your Windows dump files. The dump files we need the most are the ones that are located in c:\windows\LiveKernelReports\WatchDog. They are all in the form WD-YYYYMMDD-HHMM-XX.dmp. The other types which includes general crashes are located at c:\windows\minidump and will be in the form of mmddyy-xxxxx-zz.dmp. If you would like to email it, I have created a temporary Yahoo email address (since our nvidia.com address often blocks emails from external parties with file attachments) to send these files to but please do not use it to send me technical support questions as I will only be checking it for the purpose of this TDR bug. Please also include your NVIDIA Forums username as well in the email.The email address is nvidiaforums@yahoo.com. Thank you.
NVIDIA is aware that some GeForce customers have reported Windows TDRs (timeout detection and recovery) while browsing the web with Release 280 and later drivers. NVIDIA is actively working with customers to address this issue. In the few cases where NVIDIA has been able to reproduce this issue (both on-site and working directly with customers), a complete manual uninstall of the driver and subsequent clean installation of the latest Release 290 drivers using the exact directions below has fixed the issue. We will actively pursue any issues experienced by customers after following the clean installation steps below.

NVIDIA Display Driver Clean Installation Steps:

1) Click on the Windows Start Button.

2) Select Control Panel.

3) Select Uninstall a program under Programs or select Programs and Features depending on the control panel view.

4) Double-click on NVIDIA Graphics Driver in the program list and follow the uninstall instructions. Click Restart Now when prompted.

5) After restart, if you have any remaining display drivers stored in your Windows directory, Windows may start to install a different graphics driver. If so, allow it to install the driver and then restart again when prompted.

6) Repeat steps 1 through 5 until the NVIDIA Graphics Driver version is 275.XX or earlier OR until there is no NVIDIA Graphics Driver reported under Programs.

7) Download GeForce 285.62 WHQL driver from:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

8) Although not required, you may disable any system monitoring tools or anti-virus software running in the background as they may sometimes prevent driver files or registry keys from being written correctly during the installation process. After a driver installation has completed, you can re-enable your system monitoring or anti-virus software. To begin the driver installation process, Right-click on the NVIDIA display driver package and select "Run as administrator".

9) Continue to the Install Options page. Select Custom install.

10) On the Custom install page, select the checkbox for Perform clean install. Click next.

11) During the clean installation the driver, follow any requests to restart your PC.

12) After the installation is complete, restart your PC one final time.

Note: These steps are only recommended for this issue and are not required for standard driver updates.

If you have performed these steps and continue to experience TDRs, please provide your system information, driver version(s) and instructions on how to reproduce the TDR. Also please test your system using one of our earlier R275 drivers available from the following URL to verify your issue is specific to a driver issue and not hardware related:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

After you have verified that your problem only occurs with drivers R280 and above, please provide us with your Windows dump files. The dump files we need the most are the ones that are located in c:\windows\LiveKernelReports\WatchDog. They are all in the form WD-YYYYMMDD-HHMM-XX.dmp. The other types which includes general crashes are located at c:\windows\minidump and will be in the form of mmddyy-xxxxx-zz.dmp. If you would like to email it, I have created a temporary Yahoo email address (since our nvidia.com address often blocks emails from external parties with file attachments) to send these files to but please do not use it to send me technical support questions as I will only be checking it for the purpose of this TDR bug. Please also include your NVIDIA Forums username as well in the email.The email address is nvidiaforums@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 11/09/2011 01:32 AM   
Hello manual. This has been driving me insane since i bought my geforce GTX 460 SSC+ back in feburary. On all of the call of duty series except for black ops i was getting TDR"S and black screens constanly, After that i downloaded the latest direct x9 and that seemed to fix the problem. However Crysis 2 with 1.9 patch i still get TDR"S and black screens. It seems like all of the DX 10,11 games play extremly well and i never get TDR"S or black screens of death. However anything writting in DX9 it always messes up. Now i've been following this controversy ever since i got my card. Before i had a Radeon 5750 for a year and never had a problem. In years past had a geforce 5500, 9600 and never no problems with those. I've heard that nvidia crippled the 400/500 series because there wasan't much diffrence in performance from them and the quadro. Also i've sent all of the problems to microsoft and they still haven't found a fix for it either. It seems whatever causes it if the game maker or whoever is having problems dosen't fix it, It never gets fixed. I don't know if this is a nvidia problem, Microsoft,or what but could you please give me some insight why the 400/500 series which were supposed to be revoulutionary, But ended up being a complete flop because either they were rushed to finish, Or Nvidia dosen't seem to care about fixing the problem? . Everytime it says HARDWARE ERROR. A reply would be greatly appreciated by manual or anyone that knows the anwser to the problem. I've used every driver avalible since the launch of the Geforce 460 and they all have the same issues
Hello manual. This has been driving me insane since i bought my geforce GTX 460 SSC+ back in feburary. On all of the call of duty series except for black ops i was getting TDR"S and black screens constanly, After that i downloaded the latest direct x9 and that seemed to fix the problem. However Crysis 2 with 1.9 patch i still get TDR"S and black screens. It seems like all of the DX 10,11 games play extremly well and i never get TDR"S or black screens of death. However anything writting in DX9 it always messes up. Now i've been following this controversy ever since i got my card. Before i had a Radeon 5750 for a year and never had a problem. In years past had a geforce 5500, 9600 and never no problems with those. I've heard that nvidia crippled the 400/500 series because there wasan't much diffrence in performance from them and the quadro. Also i've sent all of the problems to microsoft and they still haven't found a fix for it either. It seems whatever causes it if the game maker or whoever is having problems dosen't fix it, It never gets fixed. I don't know if this is a nvidia problem, Microsoft,or what but could you please give me some insight why the 400/500 series which were supposed to be revoulutionary, But ended up being a complete flop because either they were rushed to finish, Or Nvidia dosen't seem to care about fixing the problem? . Everytime it says HARDWARE ERROR. A reply would be greatly appreciated by manual or anyone that knows the anwser to the problem. I've used every driver avalible since the launch of the Geforce 460 and they all have the same issues

Phenom II2 x4 960T @ 3.5/4.0 turbo
8 Gigs DDR3 1600 Corsair
Radeon 7850 XFX Ghost
WD 500GB BLUE 16GB Cache
520W Dynez

Posted 11/09/2011 02:12 AM   
Nice to see the sticky about this finally. Been there done that before these specific instructions were posted. Still get the random TDR's while browsing with firefox. Rolling back to 275.33 fixes it every single time. Evga Superclocked GTX 560. This is not a fix. Nvidia apparently ordered retail cards and have some customers sending theirs in. That are reporting the issue. Nvidia still has no leads on this or what?
Nice to see the sticky about this finally. Been there done that before these specific instructions were posted. Still get the random TDR's while browsing with firefox. Rolling back to 275.33 fixes it every single time. Evga Superclocked GTX 560. This is not a fix. Nvidia apparently ordered retail cards and have some customers sending theirs in. That are reporting the issue. Nvidia still has no leads on this or what?

Posted 11/09/2011 03:05 AM   
I have already done that Uninstall process, and also including DriverSweeper, and it does not make any difference.
I get TDRs in Firefox mostly. With hardware acceleration ON, I get a TDR like every 3 hours, with hardware acceleration OFF I get a TDR like every 2 days. I have not tried the MAX performance setting because it gets a little bit hotter.
I have already done that Uninstall process, and also including DriverSweeper, and it does not make any difference.

I get TDRs in Firefox mostly. With hardware acceleration ON, I get a TDR like every 3 hours, with hardware acceleration OFF I get a TDR like every 2 days. I have not tried the MAX performance setting because it gets a little bit hotter.

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-950 (@3.9GHz), Corsair Vengeance 3x4GB 1600-C9, EVGA GTX 560 Ti DS SC, Creative X-Fi Titanium, Coolermaster 750W

Posted 11/09/2011 03:50 AM   
Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers to solve a TDR is like draining and then refilling oil to fix a blown engine.
Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers to solve a TDR is like draining and then refilling oil to fix a blown engine.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 11/09/2011 05:07 AM   
Maybe update the title of this thread to better define what a TDR actually is? So people are more likely to actually recognize and view this thread?
Maybe update the title of this thread to better define what a TDR actually is? So people are more likely to actually recognize and view this thread?

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500GB SATA2 HDD's | Auzentech Forte S/C | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2048MB | Windows 7 Home Premium: Service Pack 1 - x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.

Posted 11/09/2011 05:28 AM   
ManuelG had also listed some steps to follow when filing a TDR report:

[quote name='ManuelG' date='21 September 2011 - 05:52 AM' timestamp='1316602351' post='1296365']
For those reporting TDRs with driver version 285.27 that goes away when you revert back to driver version 275.xx or older, please provide the following information as best you can:

1) HW. How many GPUs, Which ones, what config (SLI, PhysX, etc)
2) How many monitors? Plugged into which GPUs?
3) Have you OC’d or overvoltaged your GPU? If so, which tool
4) Have you changed the 3D settings for Performance mode?
5) Which version of browser crashed? What version of Flash do you have?
6) Does reverting to R275 completely fix the issue?
7) Were any other apps open at the time of the TDR?
8) How often does it occur and what were you doing when it occurred?
9) Was the browser full screen? Was the youtube video full screen (if playing)?
10) Other repro details
11) NVIDIA video bios version (you can look up the video BIOS version from the System Information panel inside of the NVIDIA Control Panel. To access this panel, left-click over the System Information icon on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel)
12) Run the following utility to grab the GID of your GPU:

For Windows 7 32-bit/Windows Vista 32-bit:
http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/ExtractGID32.exe

For Windos 7 64-bit/Windows Vista 64-bit:
http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/ExtractGID64.exe

This utility will generate a txt file in the same directory where the utility was executed. Either attach the information to your forum post or copy the text it generates into your txt of your forum post.

These questions are specifically for the TDR issue that some are reporting on driver versions 280.xx and above which will go away when reverting back to R275.xx or older driver. For other TDR problems, please provide the normal detailed information listed in the original post. Thank you very much.
[/quote]
ManuelG had also listed some steps to follow when filing a TDR report:

[quote name='ManuelG' date='21 September 2011 - 05:52 AM' timestamp='1316602351' post='1296365']

For those reporting TDRs with driver version 285.27 that goes away when you revert back to driver version 275.xx or older, please provide the following information as best you can:

1) HW. How many GPUs, Which ones, what config (SLI, PhysX, etc)

2) How many monitors? Plugged into which GPUs?

3) Have you OC’d or overvoltaged your GPU? If so, which tool

4) Have you changed the 3D settings for Performance mode?

5) Which version of browser crashed? What version of Flash do you have?

6) Does reverting to R275 completely fix the issue?

7) Were any other apps open at the time of the TDR?

8) How often does it occur and what were you doing when it occurred?

9) Was the browser full screen? Was the youtube video full screen (if playing)?

10) Other repro details

11) NVIDIA video bios version (you can look up the video BIOS version from the System Information panel inside of the NVIDIA Control Panel. To access this panel, left-click over the System Information icon on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel)

12) Run the following utility to grab the GID of your GPU:

For Windows 7 32-bit/Windows Vista 32-bit:

http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/ExtractGID32.exe

For Windos 7 64-bit/Windows Vista 64-bit:

http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/ExtractGID64.exe

This utility will generate a txt file in the same directory where the utility was executed. Either attach the information to your forum post or copy the text it generates into your txt of your forum post.

These questions are specifically for the TDR issue that some are reporting on driver versions 280.xx and above which will go away when reverting back to R275.xx or older driver. For other TDR problems, please provide the normal detailed information listed in the original post. Thank you very much.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 11/09/2011 08:47 AM   
I too am a long-time sufferer of this problem. For what it's worth, 100% of the [u]hundreds of posts[/u] I have read on this subject report themselves as running Windows 64 bit (Vista or 7 - but [u]NOT[/u] XP). Let me add that I ran Windows 7 64 bit for a year and had endless TDRs. I then reformatted and ran Windows XP 64 bit for six months without even ONE occurrence of the problem. I'm back on Windows 7 64 bit and immediately the problem resurfaces. All on the EXACT same hardware.
Hello Nvidia!! Does that help you in your quest for a solution?
I too am a long-time sufferer of this problem. For what it's worth, 100% of the hundreds of posts I have read on this subject report themselves as running Windows 64 bit (Vista or 7 - but NOT XP). Let me add that I ran Windows 7 64 bit for a year and had endless TDRs. I then reformatted and ran Windows XP 64 bit for six months without even ONE occurrence of the problem. I'm back on Windows 7 64 bit and immediately the problem resurfaces. All on the EXACT same hardware.

Hello Nvidia!! Does that help you in your quest for a solution?

Posted 11/09/2011 09:20 AM   
The drivers' power management mode doesn't totally function in XP. Nor does Windows XP suffer from TDR issues. TDRs have been an ongoing problem ever since Windows Vista. I think we only have Microsoft to thank for this...
The drivers' power management mode doesn't totally function in XP. Nor does Windows XP suffer from TDR issues. TDRs have been an ongoing problem ever since Windows Vista. I think we only have Microsoft to thank for this...

Posted 11/09/2011 10:08 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='09 November 2011 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1320802329' post='1322617']
[/quote]

Downgrading to 275.33 and then installing the latest 285 driver, definitly doesn't fix the TDR issues. Since 275.33 is the latest stable driver I'm forced to revert back to it every time and thus have installed every single R285 driver right on top of 275.33. The TDRs still occur.
[quote name='ManuelG' date='09 November 2011 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1320802329' post='1322617']

Downgrading to 275.33 and then installing the latest 285 driver, definitly doesn't fix the TDR issues. Since 275.33 is the latest stable driver I'm forced to revert back to it every time and thus have installed every single R285 driver right on top of 275.33. The TDRs still occur.

System 1: Intel Core i7-3770k, MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751), 32GB Corsair CML32GX3M4A1600C10, OCZ Agility 4 128GB, OCZ Agility 4 512GB, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3, Gainward 560 GTX Ti Phantom (2GB), Cougar GX G600 (PSU), Win7 Pro 64Bit
----
System 2: Intel Core i7 875k, Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, 6GB Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1333C9, 1x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black, Gainward 460 GTX Golden Sample (2GB), Corsair 650HX (PSU), Win7 Home Premium 64Bit

Posted 11/09/2011 12:32 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='09 November 2011 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1320833305' post='1322825']
Nor does Windows XP suffer from TDR issues. TDRs have been an ongoing problem ever since Windows Vista. I think we only have Microsoft to thank for this...
[/quote]

I don't think so, XP would just go right to blue screen instead of TDRing the driver.
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='09 November 2011 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1320833305' post='1322825']

Nor does Windows XP suffer from TDR issues. TDRs have been an ongoing problem ever since Windows Vista. I think we only have Microsoft to thank for this...

I don't think so, XP would just go right to blue screen instead of TDRing the driver.

System 1: Intel Core i7-3770k, MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751), 32GB Corsair CML32GX3M4A1600C10, OCZ Agility 4 128GB, OCZ Agility 4 512GB, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3, Gainward 560 GTX Ti Phantom (2GB), Cougar GX G600 (PSU), Win7 Pro 64Bit
----
System 2: Intel Core i7 875k, Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, 6GB Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1333C9, 1x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black, Gainward 460 GTX Golden Sample (2GB), Corsair 650HX (PSU), Win7 Home Premium 64Bit

Posted 11/09/2011 12:34 PM   
[quote][b]some[/b] GeForce customers[/quote]

SOME?

Bit more than that fella
some GeForce customers

SOME?

Bit more than that fella

Posted 11/09/2011 02:14 PM   
[quote name='Neil79' date='09 November 2011 - 09:14 AM' timestamp='1320848094' post='1322910']
SOME?

Bit more than that fella
[/quote]

I agree. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads and posts out there about this problem, which happens not just while browsing the web, and not just with the latest release of drivers. I have this problem only when trying to play certain games. Ive been dealing with this for months and have tried dozens of things suggested. Some people have versions of the drivers that work for them, but there doesnt seem to be any one version that solves the problem for everyone.

Im giving this about a week, then Im moving to an ATI card. I was unable to beta test the SWTOR beta because of this, and with the impending release of this game, I need a working machine.
[quote name='Neil79' date='09 November 2011 - 09:14 AM' timestamp='1320848094' post='1322910']

SOME?

Bit more than that fella

I agree. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads and posts out there about this problem, which happens not just while browsing the web, and not just with the latest release of drivers. I have this problem only when trying to play certain games. Ive been dealing with this for months and have tried dozens of things suggested. Some people have versions of the drivers that work for them, but there doesnt seem to be any one version that solves the problem for everyone.

Im giving this about a week, then Im moving to an ATI card. I was unable to beta test the SWTOR beta because of this, and with the impending release of this game, I need a working machine.

Posted 11/09/2011 03:53 PM   
[quote name='n0rr177' date='09 November 2011 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1320842054' post='1322861']
[/quote]

if that where true then the system would be constantly bsod in XP, which he made no mention of his system bsod at all.

I never had problem with TDR the whole problem i had with my 9800 gt was it was going belly up and the 280.xx drivers just starting the problem, that card has now been rma'ed, they have sent me back a 450 GTX and this card actual startes to have the problem right off the bat, i will be most definitely pissed off, weather it is MS fault or Nvidia fualt the hardware the fact that this problem been going on since vista is not a good thing.

Im on
Windows 7 64 bit
FF 7.1
Flash 11.0.1.152

when this happend on my 9800gt which i hopeing was just my card dieing seeing, it never gave me that message of TDR normal give, i just got random articating then the screen would start to blacking in and out till system froze this was general just on my desktop or browsing web, game would just start to stutter badly then artictact till the cashed my system, thne one day my bios menu was corrupt and post boot al the way in to windows, till i final rma'ed the 9800gt,

before that I was on windows 7 64 bit for almot 2 years not a single problem, then 2 weeks after have 280.33 install the above problems started. if after i start using the 450 the above problem was fixed but i actual do start getting this TDR issue with the card, i will be pissed, and nvidia or, MS or who ever caused the problem will will have till the time i choice to buy a new card, to fix the problem before i jump ship to ati, and i have hated ati cards for over a decade
[quote name='n0rr177' date='09 November 2011 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1320842054' post='1322861']

if that where true then the system would be constantly bsod in XP, which he made no mention of his system bsod at all.

I never had problem with TDR the whole problem i had with my 9800 gt was it was going belly up and the 280.xx drivers just starting the problem, that card has now been rma'ed, they have sent me back a 450 GTX and this card actual startes to have the problem right off the bat, i will be most definitely pissed off, weather it is MS fault or Nvidia fualt the hardware the fact that this problem been going on since vista is not a good thing.

Im on

Windows 7 64 bit

FF 7.1

Flash 11.0.1.152

when this happend on my 9800gt which i hopeing was just my card dieing seeing, it never gave me that message of TDR normal give, i just got random articating then the screen would start to blacking in and out till system froze this was general just on my desktop or browsing web, game would just start to stutter badly then artictact till the cashed my system, thne one day my bios menu was corrupt and post boot al the way in to windows, till i final rma'ed the 9800gt,

before that I was on windows 7 64 bit for almot 2 years not a single problem, then 2 weeks after have 280.33 install the above problems started. if after i start using the 450 the above problem was fixed but i actual do start getting this TDR issue with the card, i will be pissed, and nvidia or, MS or who ever caused the problem will will have till the time i choice to buy a new card, to fix the problem before i jump ship to ati, and i have hated ati cards for over a decade

Evga x58 SLI LE
i7 920 Stock
6gb @ 1600mhz
Evga 660GTX SIG2 FTW - 331.82
Onboard Realtek Sound
Win 7 64bit
Asus VS248h
Antec 750w Truepower New

Posted 11/09/2011 04:28 PM   
[quote name='tsunami2311' date='09 November 2011 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1320856135' post='1322999']
[/quote]

That's exactly what it would do, or alternatively it might just freeze for that matter. If you don't believe me, believe nVidia who provided some detailed info about what a TDR is and what it is cause by [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161"]here[/url]:

[quote]What is TDR? Windows Vista has a new feature called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). TDR attempts to detect problematic situations and recover to a functional desktop dynamically. In prior operating systems these situations would have resulted in a system freeze and forced customers to reboot their PC. More information about this Vista feature can be found here: http://www.microsoft...dm_timeout.mspx. Therefore, when you see the TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered", you know that the display driver is being reset without requiring a reboot. [/quote]

For every TDR you see in Vista or Windows 7 an older windows would simply have crashed/freezed. So that leads to the conclusion that the TDR's don't mean that Microsoft did a bad thing here, since the OS is able to recover even after a graphics driver crash, it simply means that the XP drivers are/were running stable on nvtweakmans system, the Vista and Windows 7 drivers are not.
[quote name='tsunami2311' date='09 November 2011 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1320856135' post='1322999']

That's exactly what it would do, or alternatively it might just freeze for that matter. If you don't believe me, believe nVidia who provided some detailed info about what a TDR is and what it is cause by here:

What is TDR? Windows Vista has a new feature called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). TDR attempts to detect problematic situations and recover to a functional desktop dynamically. In prior operating systems these situations would have resulted in a system freeze and forced customers to reboot their PC. More information about this Vista feature can be found here: http://www.microsoft...dm_timeout.mspx. Therefore, when you see the TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered", you know that the display driver is being reset without requiring a reboot.

For every TDR you see in Vista or Windows 7 an older windows would simply have crashed/freezed. So that leads to the conclusion that the TDR's don't mean that Microsoft did a bad thing here, since the OS is able to recover even after a graphics driver crash, it simply means that the XP drivers are/were running stable on nvtweakmans system, the Vista and Windows 7 drivers are not.

----

Posted 11/09/2011 08:01 PM   
  1 / 93    
Scroll To Top