`285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered` issue
  1 / 6    
[size="3"][/size][font="Arial"][/font]Hi,
I have following issue on 2x 460GTX in SLi:

`Display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered`

It happens randomly when I browse internet (IE9), when I use Skype (video adjustements) or when I play games (Bf3 or COD MW 3).
I`ve reinstalled drivers (clean) with no effect. It was not happening before and it`s started to occur couple of days ago with the same 285.62 driver. I remeber I did a Windows Performance Index test when it occured for the very first time.

Any ideas how to fix it?

P.S. All the other drivers/bios/windows are up 2 date :)

My Rig:
CPU: Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3,00 (12MB, QUAD)
COOLER: SUNBEAM TUNIQ TOWER 120, TUNIQ TX-3
GPU: 2 x GAINWARD GTX460 1GB GLH EDITION in SLI
MOBO: ASUS P5N72-T Premium, nForce 780i SLI
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB DDR2 DUAL CHANNEL (4x2GB)
AUDIO: ASUS XONAR D2 PCI
HDD: 2x1TB WD CAVIAR, BUFFER 32MB, RAID 0
External HDD: 2TB WD MyBook 7200rpm - SATA2 @ RAID 0
ODD: LG BLURAY/HD-DVD/DVD COMBO
PSU: CORSAIR TX950W
CASE: COOLER MASTER STACKER 830 BLACK
WEBCAM: LOGITECH E3500 USB 2.0
HEADPHONES: CREATIVE HQ 1500 5.1 DD & DTS
MOUSE: MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER X5 LASER
KEYBOARD: MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER X6 GAMER
WI-FI NET. SPEED: 50Mbps
Hi,

`Display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered`

It happens randomly when I browse internet (IE9), when I use Skype (video adjustements) or when I play games (Bf3 or COD MW 3).

I`ve reinstalled drivers (clean) with no effect. It was not happening before and it`s started to occur couple of days ago with the same 285.62 driver. I remeber I did a Windows Performance Index test when it occured for the very first time.

Any ideas how to fix it?

My Rig:

Posted 11/08/2011 10:56 PM   
Same problem here

Asus G73JW
CPU: Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M ; VRAM: 1.5GB
Same problem here

Asus G73JW

CPU: Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M ; VRAM: 1.5GB

Posted 11/09/2011 01:02 AM   
Alright,
for me it was the RAM. Not even faulty RAM but just the amount of RAM (2 much!!!).
It appears that my MOBO can use up to 8GB of RAM in total but when using SLI it can only use up to 4GB of RAM in 100% SLI compatibility mode. 8GB of ram with SLI enabled is causing problems/instability.
I`ve removed 2x2GB of my RAM an the issue is gone for good. When I disable SLI and leave 8GB the problem is not occurring as well.
Hope it helps a bit. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Alright,

for me it was the RAM. Not even faulty RAM but just the amount of RAM (2 much!!!).

It appears that my MOBO can use up to 8GB of RAM in total but when using SLI it can only use up to 4GB of RAM in 100% SLI compatibility mode. 8GB of ram with SLI enabled is causing problems/instability.

I`ve removed 2x2GB of my RAM an the issue is gone for good. When I disable SLI and leave 8GB the problem is not occurring as well.

Hope it helps a bit. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 11/09/2011 06:44 PM   
[quote name='Matrixer30' date='09 November 2011 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1320792991' post='1322553']
[size="3"][/size][font="Arial"][/font]Hi,

Any ideas how to fix it?

My Rig:
[/quote]

Had the same problem twice but after trying some adjustments on the Nvidia Control Panel, my pc hasn't encountered any errors so far. Try going to the Video Color Settings window, on # 2 How do you make color adjustments?; With the Nvidia settings; Advanced tab; leave the 2 boxes uncheck and Apply changes. Try some other adjustments if needed, mostly that's all it needs to make it work right for you. Screenshot attached.
[quote name='Matrixer30' date='09 November 2011 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1320792991' post='1322553']

Hi,

Any ideas how to fix it?

My Rig:

Had the same problem twice but after trying some adjustments on the Nvidia Control Panel, my pc hasn't encountered any errors so far. Try going to the Video Color Settings window, on # 2 How do you make color adjustments?; With the Nvidia settings; Advanced tab; leave the 2 boxes uncheck and Apply changes. Try some other adjustments if needed, mostly that's all it needs to make it work right for you. Screenshot attached.

Posted 11/10/2011 12:11 AM   
This happens to me fairly frequently using the latest drivers with my GTX 460. It also happens to my g/f's PC and friend's PC (same card). It does NOT happen with 275.33.

Also, we're not running SLI. Only one card.

We're all using Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobos w/ I7-930 CPUs and 6GB of G-Skill RAM. 750W PSUs (two Antecs and one Corsair).
This happens to me fairly frequently using the latest drivers with my GTX 460. It also happens to my g/f's PC and friend's PC (same card). It does NOT happen with 275.33.

We're all using Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobos w/ I7-930 CPUs and 6GB of G-Skill RAM. 750W PSUs (two Antecs and one Corsair).

Posted 11/10/2011 04:28 AM   
[quote name='tmeatl' date='10 November 2011 - 04:28 AM' timestamp='1320899333' post='1323414']

[/quote]

I'm having the same issue with a gigabyte mobo, perhaps this is a connection? It's not exactly a great brand iirc. I first encountered this issue about a year ago and heard that it might be PSU related. I had attatched 1 HD more than i had originally intended after assymilating an old computers HD, so i removed the old 150GB i added after the initial build and secondary 500GB i was running from the original build and the problem seemed to be resolved.

Before this i had had managed to reduce 10-20 display crashes an hour by simply not leaving my computer on all day/night, this was a bad habit i acquired at the time and in stopping that i could go several days without a display crash by letting the computer rest; and a hard day of gaming would only produce 2 or 3 at which point i'd give the computer a few hours rest again. But then after 3-5 weeks the consistent crashing occured again so i took out those HD's to resolve it entirely.

Yesterday my computer forced me to install Windows 7 Service pack 1 and after 18+ months of a stable system suddenly the display driver crashes when ever i scroll to fast in a browser (or edit this post, even) which is just ridiculous. I updated the driver to 285.62 this morning and the problem persists. I'd think it was a PSU issue again but it seems awefully conspicuous this only happens after windows service pack 1 is installed after 18 months+ stability.

I'd upgrade my PSU so i could have my other hardware installed and potentially rid myself of this issue entirely but it seems awefully conspicuous that this problem returns exactly after the service patch.
[quote name='tmeatl' date='10 November 2011 - 04:28 AM' timestamp='1320899333' post='1323414']

I'm having the same issue with a gigabyte mobo, perhaps this is a connection? It's not exactly a great brand iirc. I first encountered this issue about a year ago and heard that it might be PSU related. I had attatched 1 HD more than i had originally intended after assymilating an old computers HD, so i removed the old 150GB i added after the initial build and secondary 500GB i was running from the original build and the problem seemed to be resolved.

Before this i had had managed to reduce 10-20 display crashes an hour by simply not leaving my computer on all day/night, this was a bad habit i acquired at the time and in stopping that i could go several days without a display crash by letting the computer rest; and a hard day of gaming would only produce 2 or 3 at which point i'd give the computer a few hours rest again. But then after 3-5 weeks the consistent crashing occured again so i took out those HD's to resolve it entirely.

Yesterday my computer forced me to install Windows 7 Service pack 1 and after 18+ months of a stable system suddenly the display driver crashes when ever i scroll to fast in a browser (or edit this post, even) which is just ridiculous. I updated the driver to 285.62 this morning and the problem persists. I'd think it was a PSU issue again but it seems awefully conspicuous this only happens after windows service pack 1 is installed after 18 months+ stability.

I'd upgrade my PSU so i could have my other hardware installed and potentially rid myself of this issue entirely but it seems awefully conspicuous that this problem returns exactly after the service patch.

Posted 11/10/2011 01:47 PM   
*double post, ignore*
*double post, ignore*

Posted 11/10/2011 01:53 PM   
[quote name='Grazr' date='10 November 2011 - 08:47 AM' timestamp='1320932872' post='1323631']

[/quote]

IDK... I haven't had any problems with Gigabyte in the past. I personally would consider them as good as Asus, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not wanting to start a mobo fanatic war in here /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Honestly, the problem only exists with the newer drivers for us. Reverting back to 275.33 fixes the problem completely. They must've introduced some bugs for us 400 series folks with the latest drivers.
[quote name='Grazr' date='10 November 2011 - 08:47 AM' timestamp='1320932872' post='1323631']

IDK... I haven't had any problems with Gigabyte in the past. I personally would consider them as good as Asus, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not wanting to start a mobo fanatic war in here /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Honestly, the problem only exists with the newer drivers for us. Reverting back to 275.33 fixes the problem completely. They must've introduced some bugs for us 400 series folks with the latest drivers.

Posted 11/10/2011 02:08 PM   
[quote name='tmeatl' date='10 November 2011 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1320934107' post='1323643']

[/quote]

IIRC the first time i encountered this issue was with 266.58 version drivers. I only said that gigabyte may not have been the best mobo to go with after all because it was one of the cheapest brands available that would keep up with my system and the technitian at my hardware store said not to expect too much from it. I compiled my hardware specs myself but wasn't sure which mobo to go with so i asked the technitian and to keep costs down i went with a bog standard mobo to go with my gaming pc.

GTX 460, i7 930, 4GB RAM, 750W PSU, x58 GB mobo, 500GB HD (+those 2 spare HD's not currently installed). I do graphic design using the adobe suite so it's handy to have the extra specs than just for gaming.
[quote name='tmeatl' date='10 November 2011 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1320934107' post='1323643']

IIRC the first time i encountered this issue was with 266.58 version drivers. I only said that gigabyte may not have been the best mobo to go with after all because it was one of the cheapest brands available that would keep up with my system and the technitian at my hardware store said not to expect too much from it. I compiled my hardware specs myself but wasn't sure which mobo to go with so i asked the technitian and to keep costs down i went with a bog standard mobo to go with my gaming pc.

GTX 460, i7 930, 4GB RAM, 750W PSU, x58 GB mobo, 500GB HD (+those 2 spare HD's not currently installed). I do graphic design using the adobe suite so it's handy to have the extra specs than just for gaming.

Posted 11/10/2011 02:39 PM   
Hm, thought it got rid of it by cleaning some dust off the back of the GFX card, but it's back.

So have people fixed this by rolling back to pre-275? I updated to 285 thinking an updating driver would actually fix this problem. Figured there was beta testing for a reason, to get rid of bugs like this. I shouldn't have to roll back 10-20 versions. I'll give it a go though and let people know what happens.
Hm, thought it got rid of it by cleaning some dust off the back of the GFX card, but it's back.

So have people fixed this by rolling back to pre-275? I updated to 285 thinking an updating driver would actually fix this problem. Figured there was beta testing for a reason, to get rid of bugs like this. I shouldn't have to roll back 10-20 versions. I'll give it a go though and let people know what happens.

Posted 11/12/2011 11:38 AM   
Rolling back to 275.33 did not fix the problem. My display driver has crashed twice since i restarted my PC with a fresh driver install.
Rolling back to 275.33 did not fix the problem. My display driver has crashed twice since i restarted my PC with a fresh driver install.

Posted 11/12/2011 12:01 PM   
The driver is working perfectly fine, you just have to make some adjustment in your Nvidia Control Panel.
The driver is working perfectly fine, you just have to make some adjustment in your Nvidia Control Panel.

Posted 11/13/2011 12:55 PM   
Feel free to define what those adjustments would be. Otherwise your post is completely useless to me.

Anyway i seemed to have fixed it. Since previously the cause for my case of driver crashes was PSU related i figured i was perhaps running too many pieces of hardware off a single adapter, monitor, PC, printer, speakers etc. Plugging the power unit's plug directly into a spare socket on the wall seems to have remedied the situation somehow. I've done a personal stress test on the things that tended to trigger driver crashes, making vsync work in overdrive and leaving my computer on so that power saving mode would enable, heat and fan speed tests and none have so far caused a driver crash.

I guess it kinda makes a little sense... in a weird way. But i expected a more direct software/hardware resolution would have been necessary. Not that i'm complaining.

:)
Feel free to define what those adjustments would be. Otherwise your post is completely useless to me.

Anyway i seemed to have fixed it. Since previously the cause for my case of driver crashes was PSU related i figured i was perhaps running too many pieces of hardware off a single adapter, monitor, PC, printer, speakers etc. Plugging the power unit's plug directly into a spare socket on the wall seems to have remedied the situation somehow. I've done a personal stress test on the things that tended to trigger driver crashes, making vsync work in overdrive and leaving my computer on so that power saving mode would enable, heat and fan speed tests and none have so far caused a driver crash.

I guess it kinda makes a little sense... in a weird way. But i expected a more direct software/hardware resolution would have been necessary. Not that i'm complaining.

Posted 11/13/2011 01:30 PM   
[quote name='Grazr' date='13 November 2011 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1321191002' post='1325638']

[/quote]

If that fixes your problem, I would be very surprised. I would think the only difference you could achieve by plugging into a different wall socket would be more available amperage on a line. The only reason you would need that is if you had too many devices hooked up on a circuit and were tripping the circuit breaker due to overload. OTOH, I'm no electrical engineer, but I can theorize with the best of them, and so if I was forced to find a reason this might be plausible, I'd guess it may have to do with the quality of the power going into the PSU. Perhaps if you give it noisy/dirty power and it can't do a good job of cleaning it up itself, maybe it could cause fluctuations outside of spec on the unit. IDK. Just grasping at straws.

Anyway, I hope you got your problem worked out.

However, for me, it's strictly a driver problem with the new drivers. Absolutely zero crashes on drivers prior to the 280 series. Nothing but crashes with the 280+ series. I haven't tried the latest beta, but judging by the release notes, I don't see anywhere where nVidia addressed the issue, so I can reasonable assume the crashes will still exist.

To the poster above grazr, could you please expound upon your suggested changes to the driver settings to make the crashes stop? I've seen some people tweak with color settings and claim they thought that fixes it, but if that's the fix then the drivers surely are broken.
[quote name='Grazr' date='13 November 2011 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1321191002' post='1325638']

If that fixes your problem, I would be very surprised. I would think the only difference you could achieve by plugging into a different wall socket would be more available amperage on a line. The only reason you would need that is if you had too many devices hooked up on a circuit and were tripping the circuit breaker due to overload. OTOH, I'm no electrical engineer, but I can theorize with the best of them, and so if I was forced to find a reason this might be plausible, I'd guess it may have to do with the quality of the power going into the PSU. Perhaps if you give it noisy/dirty power and it can't do a good job of cleaning it up itself, maybe it could cause fluctuations outside of spec on the unit. IDK. Just grasping at straws.

Anyway, I hope you got your problem worked out.

However, for me, it's strictly a driver problem with the new drivers. Absolutely zero crashes on drivers prior to the 280 series. Nothing but crashes with the 280+ series. I haven't tried the latest beta, but judging by the release notes, I don't see anywhere where nVidia addressed the issue, so I can reasonable assume the crashes will still exist.

To the poster above grazr, could you please expound upon your suggested changes to the driver settings to make the crashes stop? I've seen some people tweak with color settings and claim they thought that fixes it, but if that's the fix then the drivers surely are broken.

Posted 11/13/2011 03:23 PM   
Ive been having similar errors with a Geforce 9800GT.

After years of no problems at all, a few days ago i start blue screening and nothing works. Youtube, VLC, Games (Of varying engines), I can browse internet just fine which led me to believe it was a power/performance issue, but i ask myself, why now. After so long, why now.

I hope my card hasn't fried, but if it has, I'm okay with that. I'm looking into a 550Ti /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Ive been having similar errors with a Geforce 9800GT.

After years of no problems at all, a few days ago i start blue screening and nothing works. Youtube, VLC, Games (Of varying engines), I can browse internet just fine which led me to believe it was a power/performance issue, but i ask myself, why now. After so long, why now.

I hope my card hasn't fried, but if it has, I'm okay with that. I'm looking into a 550Ti /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 11/14/2011 05:58 AM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top