GTX 295 Black Screen Crashes
  1 / 3    
Hey guys,

Have been having trouble with my computer for some time now and I've done everything I can to figure out the problem, however I cannot seem to pinpoint it.

The Issues:

Most of the time Computer will crash to black screen (monitor stops displaying, must manual shut down)
or Computer will crash to black screen with sound loop. (also must manual shutdown)

It always happens in gaming, here are some examples of games it has happened in:

(it seems to happen more when I am running in duplicate on two monitors)

World of Warcraft: Often, at very specific locations
Starcraft 2: Moreson in the single player campaign than multiplayer
Portal: Randomly
Sims 3: Rarely

- It has also crashed once or twice during (direct 3d aero texture assessment) for windows experience index

What I have Tried:

Many different Nvidia drivers from 1xx to the newest 285.xx (including driver cleaner correct uninstallation)
Memtest86 overnight no problems shown with RAM
fresh install of windows (still happened with no other programs installed except sc2)
prime95 on cpu
heating is not an issue card stays under 80 degrees C at max load (good airflow in case, cold environment)
i've tried removing my sound card
i've tried removing my network card

Here are my relavent specs:

Core i7 975-e @ 3.33GHz
6x2GB corsair dominator @1600mhz
bfg gtx 295
asus p6t deluxe v2
boot drive 2x corsair force gt raid 0
storage 2x wd raptor raid 0
storage 1x 3tb wd green

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... I would like to absolutely know if the card is bad before I purchase a new card, as it seems like now is a very bad time to buy a new card with 600 series right around the corner... thanks for your help!
Hey guys,

Have been having trouble with my computer for some time now and I've done everything I can to figure out the problem, however I cannot seem to pinpoint it.

The Issues:

Most of the time Computer will crash to black screen (monitor stops displaying, must manual shut down)

or Computer will crash to black screen with sound loop. (also must manual shutdown)

It always happens in gaming, here are some examples of games it has happened in:

(it seems to happen more when I am running in duplicate on two monitors)

World of Warcraft: Often, at very specific locations

Starcraft 2: Moreson in the single player campaign than multiplayer

Portal: Randomly

Sims 3: Rarely

- It has also crashed once or twice during (direct 3d aero texture assessment) for windows experience index

What I have Tried:

Many different Nvidia drivers from 1xx to the newest 285.xx (including driver cleaner correct uninstallation)

Memtest86 overnight no problems shown with RAM

fresh install of windows (still happened with no other programs installed except sc2)

prime95 on cpu

heating is not an issue card stays under 80 degrees C at max load (good airflow in case, cold environment)

i've tried removing my sound card

i've tried removing my network card

Here are my relavent specs:

Core i7 975-e @ 3.33GHz

6x2GB corsair dominator @1600mhz

bfg gtx 295

asus p6t deluxe v2

boot drive 2x corsair force gt raid 0

storage 2x wd raptor raid 0

storage 1x 3tb wd green

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... I would like to absolutely know if the card is bad before I purchase a new card, as it seems like now is a very bad time to buy a new card with 600 series right around the corner... thanks for your help!

Posted 11/02/2011 05:29 AM   
You have 5 hard drives in that machine. That is a lot of heat and a lot of power. You did not mention what power supply (PSU) you are using. I would try unplugging as many hard drives as possible and see if this resolves it. If it does, then you know your PSU is the problem. You may want to move some of those drives to a NAS box instead of packing them in to a gaming box. I personally have only one HDD in my gaming box, for that reason.

Also try removing RAM one at a time to see if one of them is bad.
You have 5 hard drives in that machine. That is a lot of heat and a lot of power. You did not mention what power supply (PSU) you are using. I would try unplugging as many hard drives as possible and see if this resolves it. If it does, then you know your PSU is the problem. You may want to move some of those drives to a NAS box instead of packing them in to a gaming box. I personally have only one HDD in my gaming box, for that reason.

Also try removing RAM one at a time to see if one of them is bad.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 11/02/2011 06:00 AM   
Oh sorry forgot to mention that:

My PSU is Corsair HX 1000 Watt

the reason I don't think it is my PSU is that the crashing does not seem to be related to the load on the computer etc.
the crashes only happen often in certain games... i.e. I played through all of portal 2 without a crash... if I were to play FFXIV or something all day I would probably go the entire day without my computer crashing.

Even if memtest showed no problems should I still try testing one memory card at a time?
Is it possible I could fix the problem by underclocking my video card ram speed?
or by underclocking my memory speed? (say from 1600mhz to 1333 or something)

Thanks again for the help
Oh sorry forgot to mention that:

My PSU is Corsair HX 1000 Watt

the reason I don't think it is my PSU is that the crashing does not seem to be related to the load on the computer etc.

the crashes only happen often in certain games... i.e. I played through all of portal 2 without a crash... if I were to play FFXIV or something all day I would probably go the entire day without my computer crashing.

Even if memtest showed no problems should I still try testing one memory card at a time?

Is it possible I could fix the problem by underclocking my video card ram speed?

or by underclocking my memory speed? (say from 1600mhz to 1333 or something)

Thanks again for the help

Posted 11/02/2011 07:00 AM   
I have the same problem with my GTX295. Screen shuts off but I can still hear the music playing in the background. It usually happens in-game although it happened once or twice even on the desktop. It started happening recently and mainly in both BF3 and Skyrim. It is not a heating issue. I've cleaned all the fans in my PC and I checked some GPU-Z logs after a black screen. It was well within normal temps. I also tried removing all the power cables and refitting them with one cable per device - as adviced on some internet sites. I tried booting with only 1 HD to try to save power but it still crashed. It might be a 285.xx driver problem related to the GTX295. I have a 750W OCZ PSU so I don't think that's the issue either unless it's damaged somehow.

Anyway I tried installing my old GTX280 from my HTPC and it works without a hitch -- although it's considerably slower. In fact it's just too slow to play BF3 at all for my use. With the GTX295 I could at least play at medium settings.

I can only think of three reasons:

1. It's a driver problem. I know the GTX280 is working perfectly on the same machine with the 285.62 drivers. The GTX295 crash.
2. My PSU is faulty. Although the GTX280 doesn't crash with the 285.62 drivers it also draws less power than the GTX295. Maybe the GTX280 just about manage to get enough power where the GTX295 overloads it somehow. I find this improbable to be honest.
3. The GTX295 is faulty.

I will reinstall the GTX295 and try Skyrim with older drivers. At least now I know that the GTX280 works with the 285.62 drivers where the GTX295 crashed consistantly. It may seem like it's a driver related issue.

My system:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
MSI GTX295
750W OCZ PSU
Windows 7 x64
6GB Kingston hyperX DDR3-1600mhz ram
I have the same problem with my GTX295. Screen shuts off but I can still hear the music playing in the background. It usually happens in-game although it happened once or twice even on the desktop. It started happening recently and mainly in both BF3 and Skyrim. It is not a heating issue. I've cleaned all the fans in my PC and I checked some GPU-Z logs after a black screen. It was well within normal temps. I also tried removing all the power cables and refitting them with one cable per device - as adviced on some internet sites. I tried booting with only 1 HD to try to save power but it still crashed. It might be a 285.xx driver problem related to the GTX295. I have a 750W OCZ PSU so I don't think that's the issue either unless it's damaged somehow.

Anyway I tried installing my old GTX280 from my HTPC and it works without a hitch -- although it's considerably slower. In fact it's just too slow to play BF3 at all for my use. With the GTX295 I could at least play at medium settings.

I can only think of three reasons:

1. It's a driver problem. I know the GTX280 is working perfectly on the same machine with the 285.62 drivers. The GTX295 crash.

2. My PSU is faulty. Although the GTX280 doesn't crash with the 285.62 drivers it also draws less power than the GTX295. Maybe the GTX280 just about manage to get enough power where the GTX295 overloads it somehow. I find this improbable to be honest.

3. The GTX295 is faulty.

I will reinstall the GTX295 and try Skyrim with older drivers. At least now I know that the GTX280 works with the 285.62 drivers where the GTX295 crashed consistantly. It may seem like it's a driver related issue.

My system:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

MSI GTX295

750W OCZ PSU

Windows 7 x64

6GB Kingston hyperX DDR3-1600mhz ram

Posted 11/12/2011 07:37 PM   
It's definitely a driver or at least a software problem maybe something in a new directx perhaps, a few of us here with similar problems in this thread
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215542

For me personally it started when i wanted to get new drivers for skyrim, Now i can't even play Rage anymore without this issue of screen that stops responding. I've been playing it fine until then, and even when i get try the older drivers now i still get this problem even after reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.

specs

dualcore 3.2ghz
4gb ram
Gtx 275
It's definitely a driver or at least a software problem maybe something in a new directx perhaps, a few of us here with similar problems in this thread

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215542

For me personally it started when i wanted to get new drivers for skyrim, Now i can't even play Rage anymore without this issue of screen that stops responding. I've been playing it fine until then, and even when i get try the older drivers now i still get this problem even after reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.

specs

dualcore 3.2ghz

4gb ram

Gtx 275

Posted 11/14/2011 12:35 PM   
It's definitely related to the GTX295. I was playing both BF3 and Skyrim for several hours with the latest 285.79 drivers yesterday on my GTX280. I had no crashes what so ever. Then I switched back to the GTX295 and after a while playing Skyrim I got the "No signal" error on my monitor. Now I'm back to the 280.26 drivers on my GTX295 and they seem to work although they are very slow and they make BF3 crash quite often. It's better to have old and slow drivers that crash every so often though then having to reboot because of the "no signal" irrecoverable crash.

GTX280 = works fine with newest drivers.
GTX295 = crash with anything above 280.26 driver.

Does nvidia monitor these threads?
It's definitely related to the GTX295. I was playing both BF3 and Skyrim for several hours with the latest 285.79 drivers yesterday on my GTX280. I had no crashes what so ever. Then I switched back to the GTX295 and after a while playing Skyrim I got the "No signal" error on my monitor. Now I'm back to the 280.26 drivers on my GTX295 and they seem to work although they are very slow and they make BF3 crash quite often. It's better to have old and slow drivers that crash every so often though then having to reboot because of the "no signal" irrecoverable crash.

GTX280 = works fine with newest drivers.

GTX295 = crash with anything above 280.26 driver.

Does nvidia monitor these threads?

Posted 11/14/2011 09:53 PM   
Well it also happens with my GT 240 and I've tried nearly everything you already tried with no success. I'm going to resort to black magic or trying some sort of ritual where an innocent and pure animal is sacrificed. Will come back if it solves anything.

UPDATE: Changed the driver to 266.xx series and the audio didn't loop and the pc didn't become unresponsive, just the video was lost. Black Magic and sacrifices had no effect whatsoever.
Well it also happens with my GT 240 and I've tried nearly everything you already tried with no success. I'm going to resort to black magic or trying some sort of ritual where an innocent and pure animal is sacrificed. Will come back if it solves anything.

UPDATE: Changed the driver to 266.xx series and the audio didn't loop and the pc didn't become unresponsive, just the video was lost. Black Magic and sacrifices had no effect whatsoever.

Posted 11/15/2011 04:14 AM   
Update: the 280.xx drivers doesn't work either. I just had a black screen irrecoverable crash earlier today while playing Skyrim. It seems like my GTX295 card is ruined. The funny thing is that a lot of people are reporting this after using the 285.xx drivers and beyond. It bloody well seems like nvidia killed my GTX295 card! I was thinking of getting a new card soon anyway. My choices were up between the GTX570 and the 6970, seeing as I've been a lifelong fanboi of Nvidia I was 90% certain of getting a GTX570. Now I'm not so sure anymore. Not if nvidia release drivers that kills off their older products.

There's just too many reports of the same problem with the same drivers to discard the facts.
Update: the 280.xx drivers doesn't work either. I just had a black screen irrecoverable crash earlier today while playing Skyrim. It seems like my GTX295 card is ruined. The funny thing is that a lot of people are reporting this after using the 285.xx drivers and beyond. It bloody well seems like nvidia killed my GTX295 card! I was thinking of getting a new card soon anyway. My choices were up between the GTX570 and the 6970, seeing as I've been a lifelong fanboi of Nvidia I was 90% certain of getting a GTX570. Now I'm not so sure anymore. Not if nvidia release drivers that kills off their older products.

There's just too many reports of the same problem with the same drivers to discard the facts.

Posted 11/15/2011 05:03 PM   
UPDATE: Using GPU-Z I noticed the card goes is at 109ºC right before the crash, with both clocks and GPU load at maximum capacity . Could you guys check and see if your cards are also going to extreme temperatures?

BTW, the airflow is good, coolers are clean and the side panel has been removed since the problems began.
UPDATE: Using GPU-Z I noticed the card goes is at 109ºC right before the crash, with both clocks and GPU load at maximum capacity . Could you guys check and see if your cards are also going to extreme temperatures?

BTW, the airflow is good, coolers are clean and the side panel has been removed since the problems began.

Posted 11/16/2011 11:38 PM   
whenever a fix for this thing happens, do share please.

i'm having the same problems with black screens in WoW + image tearing in NFS the Run, can't say i play anything else at the moment.

my problems appeared 3 days ago when i installed NFS, required me to install a 285.28 or higher NVidia driver, i had a 258.96 driver up to that point ( i know, old right? ) and still, i encountered no problems whatsoever.

so, i installed the latest version from the site, 285.62 i think it is for win7 x64, and this problem has started popping up :[attachment=23143:Untitledzz.png], either this, or the screen just blacks out without any reply.

so, i went back to the 258.96 drivers, properly uninstalling the 285 ones ( from Ctrl Panel etc and with Driver Sweeper afterwards to make sure there's no trace left of the old driver) and now i'm getting the same error on this driver aswell, which makes me sad panda :(

the temperature seems fine ..around 55-60 degrees while running mostly medium options in WoW... and yet when reverting to the old driver i encountered the same problem. noted to say it was encountered less often when i went from a windowed(fullscreen) option to just fullscreen, but still, it's something that shouldn't happen and something you guys seem to have run into aswell.

do share if there's a solution to fix this, can't raid properly with random game shutdowns due to something like this :( thanks in advance.
whenever a fix for this thing happens, do share please.

i'm having the same problems with black screens in WoW + image tearing in NFS the Run, can't say i play anything else at the moment.

my problems appeared 3 days ago when i installed NFS, required me to install a 285.28 or higher NVidia driver, i had a 258.96 driver up to that point ( i know, old right? ) and still, i encountered no problems whatsoever.

so, i installed the latest version from the site, 285.62 i think it is for win7 x64, and this problem has started popping up :[attachment=23143:Untitledzz.png], either this, or the screen just blacks out without any reply.

so, i went back to the 258.96 drivers, properly uninstalling the 285 ones ( from Ctrl Panel etc and with Driver Sweeper afterwards to make sure there's no trace left of the old driver) and now i'm getting the same error on this driver aswell, which makes me sad panda :(

the temperature seems fine ..around 55-60 degrees while running mostly medium options in WoW... and yet when reverting to the old driver i encountered the same problem. noted to say it was encountered less often when i went from a windowed(fullscreen) option to just fullscreen, but still, it's something that shouldn't happen and something you guys seem to have run into aswell.

do share if there's a solution to fix this, can't raid properly with random game shutdowns due to something like this :( thanks in advance.

Posted 11/17/2011 09:23 PM   
Thought I'd share what has helped me. I run 2 GTX 295's, so I don't know if it's a quad-sli issue, but it sounds very similar to the issues I was having. Starcraft 2 would crash on single player a lot, and less often on Multi-player. The psy-storm challenge would always crash, so that was my benchmark test.

What worked was down-clocking my gpu. I use the EVGA Precision tool, and I down clocked the core to 573 and that seemed to fix my issue. I have to do this anytime I play BF3 too and it stops the crashing.
Thought I'd share what has helped me. I run 2 GTX 295's, so I don't know if it's a quad-sli issue, but it sounds very similar to the issues I was having. Starcraft 2 would crash on single player a lot, and less often on Multi-player. The psy-storm challenge would always crash, so that was my benchmark test.

What worked was down-clocking my gpu. I use the EVGA Precision tool, and I down clocked the core to 573 and that seemed to fix my issue. I have to do this anytime I play BF3 too and it stops the crashing.

Posted 11/19/2011 12:59 AM   
[quote name='solid_z' date='19 November 2011 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1321664396' post='1329140']

[/quote]

Same thing here with a 295 GTX, i've posted 2 month ago, I have tested almost every thing, good news since i monitor this tdr issue nvidia dont have done any fix ; )

NB. as a have read ATI face the same issue and change the card by a newer one dont get ride of the problem
[quote name='solid_z' date='19 November 2011 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1321664396' post='1329140']

Same thing here with a 295 GTX, i've posted 2 month ago, I have tested almost every thing, good news since i monitor this tdr issue nvidia dont have done any fix ; )

NB. as a have read ATI face the same issue and change the card by a newer one dont get ride of the problem

Posted 12/17/2011 04:35 PM   
Don't imagine anyone monitors this thread anymore, but your CPU is overheating. Trust me. It might say its running properly and I am sure the vid card is fine, but its more than likely your processor. Take the computer apart and remove any cards and ram sticks and clean them, but most importantly remove your processor and blast the hell out of the fins with canned air and a vacuum and you'll be amazed how much dust has collected inside of it. Once the CPU tries to run a demanding program, the CPU will overheat at a rapid rate and in order to preserve its self, it will disconnect the power and black screen your monitor (Hense why it blinks as if the CPU is not on at all) Give it a shot, I know it sounds dumb. But let me know :)
Don't imagine anyone monitors this thread anymore, but your CPU is overheating. Trust me. It might say its running properly and I am sure the vid card is fine, but its more than likely your processor. Take the computer apart and remove any cards and ram sticks and clean them, but most importantly remove your processor and blast the hell out of the fins with canned air and a vacuum and you'll be amazed how much dust has collected inside of it. Once the CPU tries to run a demanding program, the CPU will overheat at a rapid rate and in order to preserve its self, it will disconnect the power and black screen your monitor (Hense why it blinks as if the CPU is not on at all) Give it a shot, I know it sounds dumb. But let me know :)

Posted 04/28/2012 04:39 AM   
[quote name='Murmurs' date='28 April 2012 - 04:39 AM' timestamp='1335587973' post='1401839']
[/quote]

oh my god thank you so much. for about a year now i did not know what was wrong, i kept thinking its the card or power supply. i just quit the games that would cause my black screen and nvidia driver crashes. no one ever told me about the cpu. i never cleaned it for about 3-4 years. oh my god there was so much dust in there.. it was't even funny. haha and i had a really fun time blasting away all that dust.

but it makes sense, all the games that were CPU heavy and demanding were the ones getting affected. some other games werent

and now i don't think it happens anymore. thank you so much! you don't even know. i was about to go buy another power supply to see if it worked
[quote name='Murmurs' date='28 April 2012 - 04:39 AM' timestamp='1335587973' post='1401839']

oh my god thank you so much. for about a year now i did not know what was wrong, i kept thinking its the card or power supply. i just quit the games that would cause my black screen and nvidia driver crashes. no one ever told me about the cpu. i never cleaned it for about 3-4 years. oh my god there was so much dust in there.. it was't even funny. haha and i had a really fun time blasting away all that dust.

but it makes sense, all the games that were CPU heavy and demanding were the ones getting affected. some other games werent

and now i don't think it happens anymore. thank you so much! you don't even know. i was about to go buy another power supply to see if it worked

Posted 05/18/2012 04:20 PM   
I'm posting today because it's the top result on Google and I've had this same issue with my card/computer for the last 4 months or so: Play a game for 1-5 minutes and my monitors turn off, sound loops and the only way to recover is by hard resetting.

Now, I tried everything to fix my card. Cleaned out all the dust, added fresh thermal paste to the CPU, installed Windows on a regular hard drive instead of SSD, etc etc etc.

Then I was clicking around and found THIS option for my nVidia card (Disable multi-GPU mode). I only have one (1) card, so I disabled this option.

I didn't chose to use multi-gpu mode. It was set like this even after I did a fresh install of Windows.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/XUdo3.png[/img]

After that I didn't crash any more. It may not work for everyone, but after that games never crashed for me.

Games stutter from time to time, but I think that was because I maxed all of the graphic settings in my games to test it out.

Good luck!
I'm posting today because it's the top result on Google and I've had this same issue with my card/computer for the last 4 months or so: Play a game for 1-5 minutes and my monitors turn off, sound loops and the only way to recover is by hard resetting.

Now, I tried everything to fix my card. Cleaned out all the dust, added fresh thermal paste to the CPU, installed Windows on a regular hard drive instead of SSD, etc etc etc.

Then I was clicking around and found THIS option for my nVidia card (Disable multi-GPU mode). I only have one (1) card, so I disabled this option.

I didn't chose to use multi-gpu mode. It was set like this even after I did a fresh install of Windows.

After that I didn't crash any more. It may not work for everyone, but after that games never crashed for me.

Games stutter from time to time, but I think that was because I maxed all of the graphic settings in my games to test it out.

Good luck!

Posted 06/25/2012 05:53 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top