Best headset?
Looking for the best sound experience, might pick up a sound card later on but not now.
No more than $200 please.
Looking for the best sound experience, might pick up a sound card later on but not now.

No more than $200 please.

Posted 11/01/2011 02:49 AM   
CNET gives these a top rating and they are only $82.00 delivered on Amazon:

AMAZON:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320123923&sr=8-1

CNET REVIEW:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd280-pro/4505-7877_7-30235462.html?tag=mncol;lst;2

Put "Headphones" in the search at CNET and you can see other reviews. Remember to check Amazon for the prices, the CNET quotes top retail.
CNET gives these a top rating and they are only $82.00 delivered on Amazon:

AMAZON:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320123923&sr=8-1

CNET REVIEW:

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd280-pro/4505-7877_7-30235462.html?tag=mncol;lst;2

Put "Headphones" in the search at CNET and you can see other reviews. Remember to check Amazon for the prices, the CNET quotes top retail.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 11/01/2011 05:07 AM   
Grab that headset AND a sound card. It's kick ass and down to $75. You can drop an X-Fi HD into your PC for $125 or a Titainuim Fata1ity Pro for $60 at Fry's B&M stores. Even with a high end sound card you're still in your budget.

Option #2 is stupid expensive, but is the best sound combo in PC audio [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132018"]http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829132018[/url]
Grab that headset AND a sound card. It's kick ass and down to $75. You can drop an X-Fi HD into your PC for $125 or a Titainuim Fata1ity Pro for $60 at Fry's B&M stores. Even with a high end sound card you're still in your budget.

Option #2 is stupid expensive, but is the best sound combo in PC audio http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829132018

Done.

Posted 11/03/2011 09:44 PM   
I live in Canada, can't get those deals here... :(
that headphone is 129 at amazon.ca, they might ship to canada but shipping costs will make it pretty much equal.
I like that option on newegg. Is that the best sound card available?

that headphone is 129 at amazon.ca, they might ship to canada but shipping costs will make it pretty much equal.

Posted 11/04/2011 12:48 AM   
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='03 November 2011 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1320367697' post='1320090']
[/quote]

Yes and no. It's the highest end sound card with a headphone amp. The X-Fi Titainium (not HD) line is better for directional audio effects in games since Creative won't licence EAX 5, but for music movies and every other game that doesn't use EAX 5. The X-Fi HD has a lot of Audiophile features and is the only sound card I'd ever use with my mono block tube AMPs.

The Asus has EAX 4, and it's got most of the same features, and with the built in headphone AMP I doubt you'll be dissappointed with the sound. Unless you spend what I do on your sound system as a whole, there isn't anything better. I'm really into boy toys, and my fiancee got me into music. I have enough sound gear that a built in AMP make no difference to me. If I didn't --I wouldn't even consider Creative, and I'd buy that Asus in two jiffies. Analog sound is better, and will always be better than digital. That Asus sounds amazing for $300USD --I wouldn't consider anything else if unless you already have a high end AMP. Since you're shopping for headphones and a sound card I doubt you have the kind of AMP I'm talking about, and that Asus package will absolutely blow you away.
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='03 November 2011 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1320367697' post='1320090']

Yes and no. It's the highest end sound card with a headphone amp. The X-Fi Titainium (not HD) line is better for directional audio effects in games since Creative won't licence EAX 5, but for music movies and every other game that doesn't use EAX 5. The X-Fi HD has a lot of Audiophile features and is the only sound card I'd ever use with my mono block tube AMPs.

The Asus has EAX 4, and it's got most of the same features, and with the built in headphone AMP I doubt you'll be dissappointed with the sound. Unless you spend what I do on your sound system as a whole, there isn't anything better. I'm really into boy toys, and my fiancee got me into music. I have enough sound gear that a built in AMP make no difference to me. If I didn't --I wouldn't even consider Creative, and I'd buy that Asus in two jiffies. Analog sound is better, and will always be better than digital. That Asus sounds amazing for $300USD --I wouldn't consider anything else if unless you already have a high end AMP. Since you're shopping for headphones and a sound card I doubt you have the kind of AMP I'm talking about, and that Asus package will absolutely blow you away.

Done.

Posted 11/04/2011 04:15 AM   
1 problem, my two pci-e ports are being covered by the GPU, its an asus p8z68-v pro... Damn it.
1 problem, my two pci-e ports are being covered by the GPU, its an asus p8z68-v pro... Damn it.

Posted 11/04/2011 08:01 PM   
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='04 November 2011 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1320436872' post='1320491']
[/quote]

Option #1: Get the headphones from the first reply a USB X-fi HD. It's the highest quality 2.1 USB interface. Unless you need physical 5.1 the USB X-Fi Surround is inferior for music and games. For headphone IMO virtual 2.1 surround is actually better directional audio than the 5.1/7.1 multi-driver headsets.

Option #2: Get a PCIe x1 riser and the Asus combo and then use in in another slot or another location alltogether. I'd personally do this; it's not like a sound card needs to breath from the outside. You can use a riser and some adapters to run the sound card to the from you your case. It can be tricky, but modding is 25% of the fun! (25% building 25% moddding 25% overclocking 25% actually using the PC)

[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='04 November 2011 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1320436872' post='1320491']

Option #1: Get the headphones from the first reply a USB X-fi HD. It's the highest quality 2.1 USB interface. Unless you need physical 5.1 the USB X-Fi Surround is inferior for music and games. For headphone IMO virtual 2.1 surround is actually better directional audio than the 5.1/7.1 multi-driver headsets.

Option #2: Get a PCIe x1 riser and the Asus combo and then use in in another slot or another location alltogether. I'd personally do this; it's not like a sound card needs to breath from the outside. You can use a riser and some adapters to run the sound card to the from you your case. It can be tricky, but modding is 25% of the fun! (25% building 25% moddding 25% overclocking 25% actually using the PC)

Done.

Posted 11/04/2011 09:12 PM   
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1320441130' post='1320518']

[/quote]
Thank you! I'm a rookie so I didn't know that.
That's be best card ASUS has right?

Also, what do you guys think of this?
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32641%28ME%29.aspx
40 bucks isn't bad. Is that a good speakers set?
[quote name='D1llw33d' date='04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1320441130' post='1320518']

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32641%28ME%29.aspx

Posted 11/05/2011 12:44 AM   
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='04 November 2011 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1320453884' post='1320619']

[url="http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32641%28ME%29.aspx"]http://www.memoryexp...41%28ME%29.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

That is the best Asus sound card with a headphone AMP. Asus does actually make an audiophile $800 sound card with attachments. I'd rather have the headphone AMP. If you're asking on the Nvidia forums about sound --I doubt you're an audiophile, so you probably won't care enough to spend all that extra cash. I can hear the difference, and I have the gear to hear those differences --but price/performance isn't good enough for me to drop another $600 on a true audiophile sound card.

TBH the guys who spend that cash are usually a little weird. Crappy sound gives me a headache, and I love good sound --I'e got an uncle who is definitely an audiophile and he looks in disgust at my setup (BTW mine's not cheap.)

Those speakers sound great in games and movies (they have zero mid range so they are crappy for music.).....and break in 3 months. I'm still waiting on the RMA instructions for my pair I was using for my fiancée's rig. I sent in a request 2 weeks ago, it was approved and then they never sent me return instructions. From what I'e heard Corsair isn't RMAing any more of them in preparation for a recall.
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='04 November 2011 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1320453884' post='1320619']

http://www.memoryexp...41%28ME%29.aspx

That is the best Asus sound card with a headphone AMP. Asus does actually make an audiophile $800 sound card with attachments. I'd rather have the headphone AMP. If you're asking on the Nvidia forums about sound --I doubt you're an audiophile, so you probably won't care enough to spend all that extra cash. I can hear the difference, and I have the gear to hear those differences --but price/performance isn't good enough for me to drop another $600 on a true audiophile sound card.

TBH the guys who spend that cash are usually a little weird. Crappy sound gives me a headache, and I love good sound --I'e got an uncle who is definitely an audiophile and he looks in disgust at my setup (BTW mine's not cheap.)

Those speakers sound great in games and movies (they have zero mid range so they are crappy for music.).....and break in 3 months. I'm still waiting on the RMA instructions for my pair I was using for my fiancée's rig. I sent in a request 2 weeks ago, it was approved and then they never sent me return instructions. From what I'e heard Corsair isn't RMAing any more of them in preparation for a recall.

Done.

Posted 11/05/2011 02:16 AM   
Can that card be bought separately at all?

Posted 11/05/2011 10:19 PM   
Also can that sound card just go in a PCI-E x16 slot without any adapters even though that slot is much larger than what's needed? I want to put it in the black slot* (3rd one)

2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode) - I want to save this one for a second GPU later on
*1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot [black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices) - This onefor the sound card.
Also can that sound card just go in a PCI-E x16 slot without any adapters even though that slot is much larger than what's needed? I want to put it in the black slot* (3rd one)

2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode) - I want to save this one for a second GPU later on

*1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot [black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices) - This onefor the sound card.

Posted 11/05/2011 10:47 PM   
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='05 November 2011 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1320533268' post='1321004']

[/quote]

Any PCIe card with a lesser number will fit in a PCIe slot with a higher number. If you aren't using the third slot then your sound card will work just fine in there.
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='05 November 2011 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1320533268' post='1321004']

Any PCIe card with a lesser number will fit in a PCIe slot with a higher number. If you aren't using the third slot then your sound card will work just fine in there.

Done.

Posted 11/06/2011 05:18 AM   
[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='05 November 2011 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1320531574' post='1320997']
[/quote]

Yes, you can buy that sound card separately. I wouldn't though b/c it's $250 w/o the headset.

BTW with high end sound gear there is a burn in time just like all other high end devices.

[quote name='Testa_Rossa' date='05 November 2011 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1320531574' post='1320997']

Yes, you can buy that sound card separately. I wouldn't though b/c it's $250 w/o the headset.

BTW with high end sound gear there is a burn in time just like all other high end devices.

Done.

Posted 11/06/2011 05:21 AM   
Scroll To Top